Thread: Rancilio Z8 single lever tune up?

Rancilio Z8 single lever tune up?

I've been using this at home with a Quamar conical grinder for a few months.

Acquired in working condition having only to remove it and it's plumbing from a house being demolished. Judging by the rest of the house it had lived there since new and has been looked after.

Very nice shots pulled with various different coffees. Hard to do a bad one, in fact.

Gigar autofill works fine. Mercury pressurestat is still there. I replaced the anti vac valve which had been blanked off and the safety valve, a couple of o-rings in the wands and silicone group seal. It looks like all the parts for these are still easily available 40 years on.

Apart from taking up about 500x600mm of bench, it's been really practical. Combined with the grind on demand, drip tray draining straight into the sink, and plumbed in mains water feed I rarely spill a drop of coffee, water, milk or grinds. It doesn't sound like much of a consideration, but compared to previous setups the neatness almost makes up for the extra space it takes up.

I haven't tweaked it up in any way yet, and have no idea what sort of pressure or temperature profile it produces. Any suggestions on what to measure and how to adjust would be welcome.

Hot cups from the warming rack are nice but given Summer's looking like it's going to be a hot one I might get some kind of wrap or blanket for the boiler. Hopefully that won't affect the group temperature much unlike a dipper machine.

More mediocre pics. Can anybody date this thing, and confirm that it is actually a Z9? The parts match the rancilio diagrams but there seems to be a lot of commonality.