• 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By CoffeeMan2
  • 1 Post By Javed
  • 1 Post By matth3wh

Thread: Help with my decision please :) LMLM or GS3 MP

Help with my decision please :) LMLM or GS3 MP

Hi guys,

Well I thought my coffee journey was at an end after some health issues that I thought was attributable to coffee however I have slowly started drinking it again and feel I can once again enjoy coffee but need to moderate my intake.

I recently sold my expobar minore iv and mazzer mini e and picked up a barely used compak e8 grinder for a price I couldn't refuse.

I'm now shopping for a new machine. I'm in Brisbane and it's been impossible to find anywhere with a linea mini on the bench. I finally found a shop on the gold coast (I won't post to maintain forum rules) where I can check this machine out in the flesh.

My question is I want this machine and grinder combo to last a long time. I've upgraded from a Silvia to the minore iv and now I want a machine that will go the distance. I feel I have a gold grinder now that will service me for a long time to come.

I'm someone who drinks mainly espresso. I love trying different single origins from different roasters and am particularly liking a full body mouthfeel. Now I'm not claiming to be a great barista or anything but I am an engineer by background and hence love to tinker etc!

The LMLM already is a lot of cash for me, however in the context of longevity and safeguarding from regret and consequent further upgrades I an potentially considering a GS3MP. Now the only reason this is is because of the pressure profiling capability the machine has. I would love to hear from you experts on how much of a difference this makes especially to bring out single origin flavours. I do remember some of the best shots I've had from a cafe being from a strada that had pressure profiling. I'm not interested particularly in the machines such as a r60v or Vesuvius as I hear the brew head in the LM is significantly better than the e61 style, that and I've already had an e61 and just want something a little different!

I appreciate any help or advice you guys can give and hopefully I can have a new machine at home on the bench soon

Cheers,
    Javed
    Dimal likes this.

Hi Javed,
    Good luck with choice
    If looking at high end machines, my advice is firstly decide between a pump or lever. This will narrow the field somewhat
    Most high end machines are great and is somewhat like choosing between Audi and BMW - personal preference

I have an Alex Leva (3 years now) and love it. I wouldn't go back to any other machine after a lever. Beautiful build, minimal maintenance (important as I live in a small centre) and makes superb coffee - shot after shot
    Good luck with your choice
    Cheers
    Dave
    coffeechris and matth3wh like this.

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same, ie: a lever machine may really suit the OP
    Casa Espresso likes this.

I went from a Silvia, to a heavily modified Silvia up to GS3 MP, I then performed the strada mod on it. I love it and donít regret the decision one bit. Depending on the case you are trying to argue, the gs3 can pressure profile better than any other machine because it is infinitely variable, the counter argument is that itís less effective because itís not computer controlled.
    In any case I enjoy playing around with really long extractions and altering the time I ramp up to full pressure, I also play around with lowering the pressure (slowing the flow) towards the end of the shot.

Enjoy making your decision, itís great fun researching for that ideal machine.

Hi guys. Thanks very much for the help and advice. Whilst you may say it's fun researching for the right machine I'm almost finding it stressful! I may have the opportunity to have a gs3 mp and a linea mini to test side by side up here in Brisbane later next week so perhaps I'll be able to decide then. The new version of the mp with the conical valve and infinite variable profiling makes it difficult. Prior to the new version the mini would have been the obvious choice for me. I think I'm still leaning towards mini because I think whilst I initially think I'll end up playing I'll probably just end up sticking to standard shots. Plus I've had some amazing shots on non profiling machines. Funnily enough my local barista doesn't see the value in pressure profiling and places a lot more emphasis on grinder dose distribute and tamp. Decisions Decisions!

Just putting it out there for the OP...

Is the the LM LM + site sponsor Coffee Machinist / Rick Bond paddle/pressure (and timer) mods still cheaper than GS3 MP...?

On the side of the newer GS3 MP:
    you get the manometer on top
    the new conical valve / lower maintenance.
    Cool touch steam wand. Steam toggle

A very nice low tech and lower cost alternative is the Espresso Forge or yet to be release Cafelat Robot

Casa Espresso and Magic_Matt like this.

The Rick moded Linea would be my choice of the two.

Hard for the OP to test in QLD though.

I know there is a near new moded mini for private sale here in Melbourne

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Magic_Matt likes this.

DE1 Pro or Cafe could be another option.
    matth3wh likes this.

GS3 MP is a clear winner for me. I have seen one at La Marzocco in Melbourne and it is close to perfection. If I had the money and space I would have one for sure. My drooling machine.
    spin_addict likes this.

So today I went down to check out a gs3 mp. Unfortunately it ended up being an av and the person who had lent the machine to the retailer forgot to provide the water tank, so I couldn't even try it. What we did do though was play on the strada that was set up next to it to get an idea of how pressure profiling works. Now I made some terrible shots and I did end up making an awesome shot (for my standards) with the retailer making some espresso for me (but being totally honest that he is not a barista and that the machine is capable of more) and it reminded me of some of the best espresso I have had before. I don't know if it is because I associate that with Luke from Ltd (when he was still up here in qld) pulling some amazing god shots on his strada or if it is a but of a placebo. It just seemed to me that the mouthfeel and texture of the shots were so unique and syrupy. Is this due to the type of machine or am I losing the plot? The linea mini will be arriving later this week so I will go back in and be able to compare the linea mini shot vs the strada profiled shot side by side. Is it even reasonable to expect a gs3 mp to be able to produce a similar shot to that of a strada?

Just when I thought I was heading down the road of the linea in confused again. I must admit I do wonder if repeatability will be an issue. But I guess once you get the learning curve out of the way you should be able to be fairly consistent?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Help with my decision please 😊 LMLM or GS3 MP

So I see on Insta LM AU have a new mini and lux grinder for ~$5k.

Or perhaps you might like someoneís near new Linea 1 group AV with sureshot and water needle valve customisation for ~$6.9k

What was your budget again? 🤣
    Javed likes this.