Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ausdb

Thread: San Marino Lisa (SMSA2) rebuild or not?

San Marino Lisa (SMSA2) rebuild or not?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, my first post (although a long time reader).

I just picked up a San Marino 2 group coffee machine (Lisa, or more precisely the SMSA2 model). Got it for free, and hoped to refurbish it to useful state and then get rid of it. Unfortunately it came with no portafilter or the external pump. I don't think I would get much for it working, so paying lots of money for a new rotary pump and two portafilter (and all other bits and pieces that need to be replaced) don't make sense. Is it possible to get hold of a cheap second hand pump/motor and portafilters for a reasonable price? And is it worth doing this?

The machine looks good outside, and not to bad on the inside. All cables need to be replaced before starting up anything. And I also can't connect the machine at home, 4700 watt is a bit too power hungry. Seems like the elements are actually two, disconnecting one of them should nearly half the power consumption?

I've fully refurbished a Rancilio silvia, including repaint of the chassi, so it would be fun doing this bigger machine to learn more. But I rather fix a commercial 1 group machine in the end, as I would like to replace my Silvia.

Can put up some pictures later.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Portafilters should be pretty easy to pick up especially if they are E61.

Pump might be more expensive.

Any way to source a second hand pump, or pumps from alternative sources?

I've gone ahead with the project and have taken it all apart. Found the cause to why it was left for dead. One of the four bolts holding one of the groupheads to the boiler had snapped and heaps of steam must have been coming out into the machine. The steam had caused all wires and the wires heat sheets to get mouldy, quite discussing really. I got the broken bolt out so just need to replace that one. All wires and heat sheeting need replacement as well.

I've soaked boiler and pipes in acid and they look pretty good now. Am currently working on the rusty chassis which need painting. Then need to replace all gaskets and similar stuff, and get a new sight glass as it was cracked too.

And still need some handles and a pump/motor, but will try source that second hand further down the track when the rest is fixed.

And I know, with out pictures it hasn't happened. Where is a good site to upload pictures to?

I'm learning a far bit by doing up this one, but I've actually got my hands on a Bezzera BZ40, one group, that I will fix later to keep. That machine will be much more fun to do for that reason!

Could you fit 2 vibe pumps, one for each head? Or maybe 2 in parallel? Probably need a opv also..

Fill boiler slowly to avoid burning pumps out.
    Last edited by Jackster; 13th February 2018 at 03:59 PM.

This guy-
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPHbzVBgJWc/

Uses a micro vane pump in a simonelli. Maybe that is a option?

Quote Originally Posted by OskarD View Post
    And I know, with out pictures it hasn't happened. Where is a good site to upload pictures to?
    Make a few more posts and then upload them direct to here.

Java "Local is best!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    This guy-
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPHbzVBgJWc/

Uses a micro vane pump in a simonelli. Maybe that is a option?
    I got a price for a second hand, functioning, rotary vane pump and motor for $250, sounds ok to me... Or could I find it cheaper? Not including postage so probably land on $300, pushing the cost closer to not economically feasible. But we'll see where it lands...

Late reply but keep looking for a pump, one will turn up cheaper than that or buy a pump head online and then try the local companies that service post mix beverage systems and see if you can scrounge a motor cheap off them in exchange for beer or beer tickets. I dont think its worth $300 I paid that a couple of years ago for a 2 group Lisa with a pump and no portafilters but that was only because I noticed there was a Mazzer super jolly lying on the cup warmer and the seller said it was included!!!!
    The group heads are not E61 but a Bezzera porta filter will fit, I've tried it myself.
    Actually I cant bear to throw the Lisa out, the group head flange on the boiler is the same as the CMA lever group so I can see a Frankenleva Lisa in the works if I can find a lever group at an affordable price.
    Dimal likes this.