Thread: San Marino Lisa (SMSA2) rebuild or not?

San Marino Lisa (SMSA2) rebuild or not?

Hi all, my first post (although a long time reader).

I just picked up a San Marino 2 group coffee machine (Lisa, or more precisely the SMSA2 model). Got it for free, and hoped to refurbish it to useful state and then get rid of it. Unfortunately it came with no portafilter or the external pump. I don't think I would get much for it working, so paying lots of money for a new rotary pump and two portafilter (and all other bits and pieces that need to be replaced) don't make sense. Is it possible to get hold of a cheap second hand pump/motor and portafilters for a reasonable price? And is it worth doing this?

The machine looks good outside, and not to bad on the inside. All cables need to be replaced before starting up anything. And I also can't connect the machine at home, 4700 watt is a bit too power hungry. Seems like the elements are actually two, disconnecting one of them should nearly half the power consumption?

I've fully refurbished a Rancilio silvia, including repaint of the chassi, so it would be fun doing this bigger machine to learn more. But I rather fix a commercial 1 group machine in the end, as I would like to replace my Silvia.

Can put up some pictures later.

Portafilters should be pretty easy to pick up especially if they are E61.

Pump might be more expensive.

Any way to source a second hand pump, or pumps from alternative sources?