Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gazza
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Replacing relay on Gicar autofill control box

Replacing relay on Gicar autofill control box

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Rancilio s26 which I have at my work was switched off for the Christmas Break. When I turned it on today it immediately tripped the RCD at the power board. Tried a different power point / circuit - same result. The light on the machine comes on momentarily when the machine is powered up, but then the RCD is activated.

On visual inspection the relay on the Gicar Electronic Autofill Box RL30/1E-2CF looks like one of the contacts (looks like there is a pair of contacts in the relay) has burnt out.

The relay is MZP A 002 48 05. Looks like it is from this series

https://www.gavazzionline.com/pdf/Mz2p10ae.pdf

Has anyone ever tried to replace the relay on the PCB to get one of these Gicar boxes going again?

Any idea where I can source one - preferably online so I can get it ordered after hours.

Thanks, Tim

From the data sheet the original relay is 23.5VDC, 10A so this one from RS has similar specs (24VDC, 10A) and the correct footprint and is in stock in Australia.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/2534094/

If I add one to the cart it is showing free delivery but I'm not sure that is correct.

Jaycar and Altronics also have 24V relays with the correct footprint but the current rating is lower than the original.

Gary
    towe0609 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by towe0609 View Post
    My Rancilio s26 which I have at my work was switched off for the Christmas Break. When I turned it on today it immediately tripped the RCD at the power board. Tried a different power point / circuit - same result. The light on the machine comes on momentarily when the machine is powered up, but then the RCD is activated.
    G'day Tim...

Sounds like the Boiler Element is somewhat "leaky" and may be buggered.
    Probably sucked in some moisture after cooling down for a prolonged period.

If the Element is easily removed, you could try removing it and place in a hot oven (150C) for a couple of hours to dry it out and then refit to the Boiler. If this is then Ok, you now know what the problem is. It would be best then, to acquire a new element as soon as you can as the old one will only suck moisture in again each and every time it cools down.

Mal.
    saroadie likes this.