Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: Profitec 700 leaking grouphead?

Profitec 700 leaking grouphead?

Hi Guys,

Some advice would be appreciated. I have only just noticed a trickle of water down the side of my Pesado portafilter when I'm extracting a shot. It's not much but got me thinking the portafilter mustn't be sealing properly. This is on a Profitec 700 that's about 15 months old. I'm assuming the problem is more to do with the grouphead on the machine then the portafilter itself. There looks like a rubber seal inside the grouphead - is that likely to be the culprit, and can I replace it myself?

Thanks,

Paul

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    Hi Guys,

Some advice would be appreciated. I have only just noticed a trickle of water down the side of my Pesado portafilter when I'm extracting a shot. It's not much but got me thinking the portafilter mustn't be sealing properly. This is on a Profitec 700 that's about 15 months old. I'm assuming the problem is more to do with the grouphead on the machine then the portafilter itself. There looks like a rubber seal inside the grouphead - is that likely to be the culprit, and can I replace it myself?

Thanks,

Paul
    Yes, the group seal is highly likely to be the problem, and yes you can replace it by yourself. It is probably best to replace the shower screen at the same time (or at least buy a spare in case you damage the old one when removing the group seal). Coffee Parts should have the right size group seal.

I'd also recommend opting for a Silicone Rubber Gasket rather than the more common plain rubber one.
    Seals with less force required, easier to remove/replace for regular maintenance and lasts in service much longer too.

A no-brainer when you think about it...

Mal.
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    I'd also recommend opting for a Silicone Rubber Gasket rather than the more common plain rubber one.
    Seals with less force required, easier to remove/replace for regular maintenance and lasts in service much longer too.

A no-brainer when you think about it...

Mal.
    Preaching to the (recently) converted here Mal, took long enough for the coin to drop.
    PS less force equals less wear and tear on the group head.
    Dimal likes this.

Standard 12 to 18 month service requirement is a new group head seal and/or shower screen.

You should also consider a service on the E61 mechanism. Have a word to your seller for recommendations.

If you are going to replace the seal your self I would also recommend a silicon seal and given the machine is relatively new i would think the 8.3mm seal would be the preferred size.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and Yelta like this.

Thank you everyone.

This is the 2nd time (at least) in a short time that the Pesado GH has come up in posts RE: "Sealing Issue"
    I have only had experience with 2 Prosumer brands and both have a slight variance on their 'OEM' 58mm Commercial
    PorterFilter Handle / E61 Grouphead design.
    Re: Lug shape, size, position And measurement to the top sealing service of the P/F Handle.

BTW I am in no way questioning Antony's advice Re 12-18mths maintenance item.

So does Pesado fall into the category of making one size fits all G/Handle?
    And therefore maybe requiring a spacer under the GH Seal / or Thicker Seal to match some machine brands?

I do know that in the Commercial Machine world a number of brands are 'OEM' design specific with their P/F Handle.

Also my kit at home, I have a number of AfterMarket Baskets, and know with 2 of these that I have to set up the puck
    to a different height than the others.
    1/ Seemingly the Radius on the sealing area of the Basket differs
    and 2/ they way the other seats into the top of the Handle causes a variation on height versus the sealing lugs.

*Comments posted for future reference for those searching the same issue.