• 1 Post By JMcCee
  • 4 Post By nickR
  • 1 Post By nickR

Thread: Elektra T3

Coffee Fiend

Elektra T3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Drum roll.......

finally, the sunbeam cafe series replacement has arrived!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah... Beautiful mate.

Mal.

Very nice Nick, 2 groups! expecting guests?

Coffee Fiend
    It does make the kitchen look a tad small.

More pics to come, and general blog about the saga of getting it up and running.

Holy mackerel thatís quite an upgrade. Did you have to put in a dedicated circuit?

Coffee Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Did you have to put in a dedicated circuit?
    I thought I would have to, but the element has one of its three wires disconnected. That mod had already been done a while ago, so it’s running at 10amps.
    Lucky, as getting three phase power to the house at all may have been an issue, not just from the machine to the switchboard!!

Nice, it has a ďhisĒ and ďhersĒ station, just like a new bathroom .
    Cool machine, enjoy it!

Coffee Fiend
    Also, it’s happily running from a water container sitting next to it, and not plumbed in.

So let that be a lesson to everyone - never let common sense get in the way of a new machine; you have my permission to get some crazy and oversized machine, and it will probably work out okay...

Hoggers likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by spin_addict View Post
    a “his” and “hers” station, just like a new bathroom .
    Of course! Perhaps this is the way to resurrect my marriage, by saying I was actually thinking of you all along.

So far, size HAS been an issue, shall we say.
    spin_addict and Hoggers like this.

Coffee Fiend
    So here are some of the less glamorous pics:
    IMG_20180105_122605.jpg

IMG_20180105_111835.jpg

Let's just say I was somewhat misled as to the condition of the machine before purchase......

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Ewww for the screen, but it's a pretty simple fix with some elbow grease. Hopefully the boiler cleans up alright. Lots of scale/crud built up that has oxidized. Hopefully all the parts are still working and the integrity is there. Have your fired it up yet?

Elbow grease? That needs a stick of dynamite!! :-) You could go a long way resurfacing Parramatta Rd with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nickR View Post
    So here are some of the less glamorous pics:
    IMG_20180105_122605.jpg

IMG_20180105_111835.jpg

Let's just say I was somewhat misled as to the condition of the machine before purchase......
    Not at all unusual to find poorly maintained domestic machines in this condition, I've seen em.
    nickR likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    Hopefully all the parts are still working and the integrity is there. Have your fired it up yet?
    Yep, the pictures up top are fired up, on the bench and pumping out coffee as fast as I can dial in the grinder.

Now, how to tell the other half I need a better grinder....

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Haha, had the same with the wife when I got my Pavoni. We had a crappy Breville grinder and bought a rocky... Then a mazzer... Now thinking something bigger again. She indulges my habit so it all worked out.
    nickR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nickR View Post
    Drum roll.......

finally, the sunbeam cafe series replacement has arrived!!!
    Congratulations! A modern classic and is like a simple Meccano set to work on. I have the A3 single group version and if your missus is anything like mine you risk a big head slap if you ever mention replacing it.
    nickR likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks JMcCee,
    The A3 was my dream machine but I’ve never even seen one anywhere, hence getting the two-group the moment one became available.
    Mine is a 2002 model and a bit temperamental so far.

Gee, the steam power is amazing, eh?

Yes Nick, the A3 is rare beast in Oz and there seems to be a lot more of the T1. If the machine is temperamental I strongly advise a complete strip down for a descale and clean. Mine was a lot worse than yours when it first arrived 6 years ago but after a strip down it's still running great. If it's still playing up after then its probably a touch pad.
    nickR likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    Temperamental = issues running off a water container. So, all my fault, not the machine.

Over the weekend I’ll post the saga of getting her up and running. Let’s just say the cockroaches didn’t survive the high pressure wash...... !

JMcCee likes this.

Where are you? I'd like to see it. Can't speak for the T3 but the A3 is unbelievably docile and forgiving. I have to be in total klutz mode to get a bad coffee. It makes me wonder if hi-tech dual boiler wiz bangers for home are a little on the wanky side. Then again, pumping out hundreds of consistently great shots a day...
    nickR likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    I’m in Hobart, there is a spare group on the right hand side of the machine for guests.

The only issue so far has been trying to run the water out of the top of a container whilst waiting for a pipe fitting. So for a while, the pump was struggling.
    Apart from that, I agree, you would have to fill your basket with tea leaves to make a bad coffee. I had guests over last night and it was the consistency that struck me. 20-odd coffees and it was lovely.
    Dimal and zeezaw like this.

20?! You must have been floating over Mt Wellington!
    Dimal and nickR like this.

Coffee Fiend
    Even I would struggle with 20. And I can drink a lot of coffee.....

Coffee Fiend
    If there are any other Elektra owners out there besides JMcCee, I’d love to hear your thoughts on your machines – they really seem to be quite rare here compared to the US.

So firstly, why on earth would I want a two-group beast sitting on my kitchen bench? Well, I’ve had a number of coffee machines over the years – think breville, krups, and sunbeam over 15 years – and I’ve been on the lookout for the ‘right’ machine for a long time. Once you’ve seen the Elektra Sixties models, they really make some others look like boring square boxes.

So, the next problem was actually finding one. I have never seen another one of these in the flesh – ever – one OR two group, new or second-hand – so when one came up it was more about jumping on it when I could. I do actually think that the two group is better proportioned, the one-group is a bit like a square box again, but hey, I have to justify it somehow... So a two-group it was. It is a bit big and a bit silly, but hey - I can have a dedicated single origin grinder, AND a dedicated single origin group !!!!

:

So there was one on the tree of eucalyptus and I finally went for it and made an offer. It really is a beast. It took a month of logistical nightmares to get it here, and another month to get it cleaned up and going... but already it's feeling like it's worth it !

(more to come)
    Dimal and zeezaw like this.

There's quite a following for the 'Sixties' on HB. Dave (cannonfodder) has an A3 and you'd have to pry it out of his cold dead hands.
    nickR likes this.

Coffee Fiend
    Onward with the saga:

Freight and Shipping
    Well, I can highly recommend Qantas freight if you ever need to ship a big box. As long as you can get it to the airport. It cost $200 and it was just under 60kgs. It arrived home before I did that evening.

Condition
    Well.
    The pictures tell the story.
    Let’s just say that I was misled about the condition of the machine. I’m glad I’ve got it, but I definitely overpaid given the state it was in. The rarity made me a bit silly in that regard. And another pops up on gumtree just a couple of weeks later – go figure! Also, it was tricky going all that way and playing hard-ball.

The lesson: Phones have cameras. You can send photos pretty easily these days. Get photos sent to you if you can't look yourself. If you don't know what to look for, just get them to take photos of everything! A video, even - even better.

So anyway, it’s had a high pressure clean, cockroaches removed, scale removed, group heads bathed, new opv, new seals, new showers, new element gasket, a couple of new lights, a couple of other new valves, new sheathing, new key assembly…… you get the idea.

It will need a full acid bath at some point to make it nice and shiny, and new Gicars at some point too. Plumbed in if/when a new kitchen reno happens, but in fact I’m quite happy with running it off a water container, and the pressure is fine and shots are great.

So, it’s basically a completely new machine. Given the condition it was in, I’m more than happy with that.
    I didn’t do any of this myself, I can highly recommend Kim and Shaun at Fratelli Machina here in Hobart if you need them. I swear I dropped the Elektra off and we spent 4 hours just looking at all their machines in the workshop, drooling. (HG-1’s ARE cool, aren’t they).

But JMcCee you are right, they are really well set up and it will be very easy to perform maintenance on it. Next up is a crash course on how to polish stainless steel properly.

And back to roasting beans. Suddenly I can't keep up with demand again.

(more pics to come)
    Dimal, bigdaddy, JMcCee and 1 others like this.

Coffee Fiend
    Well, I thought I had more to say, but Iíve been too busy drinking coffees obviously!

The only issue Iíve run into is that my roaster and elektra are on the same electrical circuit, so must choose one or the other.

Other than that, itís awesome. Iím glad I went for it.

My favourite, Rwandan Nyungwe, roasted last week; happy to say itís giving Five Senses crompton rd blend a run for its money in the chocolatey, dark cocoa flavours.
    4D2AD37F-5B73-4807-B010-6BAD1F78997C.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

Great news Nick...

Mal.