Thread: wega Concept 2:bar

wega Concept 2:bar

Hi!

I am new here and looking for some newbie advice on what machine to get for my little shop. I have come across a 2012 Wega concept 2 bar and fiorenzato f6 grinder for just over $3000. Can you please help with guidance on any major known problems with this model? I am in a small town so will likely never exceed 100 coffees a day so like the energy saving feature of this model.

Thankyou for your help!!!

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum cocalime. Can you tell us more about your shop (without plugging names etc)? The answer really depends on what your shop is like. If its more a bakery style shop with coffee on the side doing say less than 30 coffees and hour, then the Wega/fiorenzato is probably a good match. If you are a coffee shop doing 100+ coffees an hour then probably not.

Hi Whateverbeans :-) Thanks for your reply and your welcome - it is appreciated :-)

My shop is a wholefoods store opening soon in a small town outside of Ballarat. It can be quite touristy at times but the coffee and real hot choc (plus snacks) element are more as a service to visitors than a mainstay of the business. I would expect some days to be very slow selling a dozen or so coffees, and weekends to be busier but I would not expect to exceed 100 per day at any time in the near future, even during festival time.

I do believe great coffee matters and will not be serving coffees unless the beans are two weeks or less since the roast and will have sustainable and ethical practices at the forefront.

If you have any other suggestions on machines that would also suit well, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Some of the other members here probably have more experience running a cafe than me (which is not much apart from small stints in the kitchen of a local attraction park with an old espresso machine).
    Anyhow I think that machine sounds okay for your volume. The real problem is if you are trying to do 50-100 coffees per hour on 1 or 2 group machine - which can be more than a coffee a minute, so you are working pretty quickly.

I have read that the fiorenzato f6 does have some grind inconsistencies, but will probably depend on the age of the grinder.

Some other things to consider though (for both the grinder and wega):
    How old is the machine?
    What is the service history like?
    Does the machine currently work?
    How old are the burrs on the grinder and will they need replacing?
    Does the wega need plumbing etc? - more than likely yes and will need its own water supply and drain etc.

Gday CocoaLime and welcome to CS'ers.
    Great too hear your aims based on the statements in your 2nd post.
    Just as an aside theirs an informative post about cafe's in another thread you'll easily find
    and great feedback on what consumers want from their daily coffee.

Anyway WBN provided good info and accurate to your circumstances....other than the '100 coffees a day'!
    He may have confused this with - 100 coffess an hour !!

I'd suggest that 2Group machine is easily capable of working to around 30-40 shots an hour and on any estimate / guestimate could
    work to 25-30kgs a week. Which is way in excess of what you talk of in your business planning.

Straight up I'd mention - A Good Water Filter setup, Use of a Quality Local Sourced Milk / & Alternatives.
    As that combined with quality fresh roasted beans should be a good start to differentiate yourself from other local cafe's
    and tie in well with your 'Wholefoods', fresh and organic theme.

My suggestion directly to your questions are - Wega is a well known robust brand. So I wouldn't think there is a problem in selecting this model.
    Yes as a used machine best to get it checked over And serviced prior to installing it.
    And re-set the volumetric system to suit your beans and cup serving sizes (specifically the milk based coffee's).
    The F6 Fiorenzato is a large 83mm burr grinder and should have no issues serving your needs.
    Note most lower quality cafes take no note of grinder maintenance and suggest you clean the grinder, check it and replace the burrs straight up, regardless. Small beer in the overall cost of setup.
    Also take note of the service life of the burrs....they'll be rated in 1000's of kg. Note an work out your machines lifecycle.

Re cost saving feature - If it is that this Wega can have 1 boiler turned off separetely than that would assist you when customer traffic is low.

As for quality of the bean ... Most cafes dont look after the storage of their beans. Such as dump 1kg of beans in late in a day or just before closing on the Sunday ...when they're then closed on Mondays. They for instance then leave the Machine on over night, turn the Air Con off - which does nothing but bake the unused beans in the hopper as the cafe locked up overnight reaches 45deg+ etc etc.
    Anyway just Food for thought!Consumers will always return for quality and never recommend a business they don't respect or feel is value for money.
    GL with your cafe!
    Last edited by EspressoAdventurer; 31st January 2018 at 01:22 PM.