coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: BO-EMA 2GRP USED

BO-EMA 2GRP USED

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Never expected to post in this section. ;D

My work has a second hand unit which needs a good service. I think it has a couple of leaks and definetly needs a good cleaning. Im going to try to relieve them of this burden. What is a machine like this worth ( I was told it would cost a few hundred bucks to fix up)? Pics will follow soon.

Cheers,

Kit

Re: BO-EMA 2GRP USED

Mate - I am hardly an expert on commercial machines but I have kept my eyes open and I have made some minor adjustments and repairs on my FAEMA 2 group and plumbed it in. All I can say is that it might pay to take the cover off (turned off and disconnected of course from the wall) and have a look at where the leaks are coming from. What is the history of the machine - has it been looked after properly. Has the boiler regularly been emptied and re-filled with fresh water. Was a good water filter used. Was the steam wand religiously operated after being in the milk to purge the milk and stop it going back into the boiler.

Are parts available for it - Boema is Australian made I think so probably.

Are you handy and may be prepared for repairs youself. If the machine is in poor nick with milk and other crud in the boiler you might be up for a full strip down and that seems to be a very very big job.

Mate - have a look through the threads on this site if you havnt already to get an idea. I dont know what its worth but have a look on the evil bay to see what 2 groups go for - its hard to know what condition they are in though compared to the one you have your eye on.

If in doubt, get it checked by someone you can trust who can do a quick assessment. At the very least apart from the above, see what quality the water from the hot water wand is like - look and smell in the glass. Make sure the steam wand(s) work well. Make sure the groups are working properly with all buttons...look up with a torch into the groups and make sure they look ok (you can replace shower screens usually). See whether with both groups extracting its pulling 9 bar or so (make some shots) - it may be that if the extraction guage is steady but high for example (as I found recently) the bypass valve might need cleaning which is no biggie....but if the gauge is a fair bit low and/or is jumping then you might want to steer clear because a pump will be xxxy. Pull a shot with fresh coffee and see what it tastes like and the temp is about right.

Hopefully this gives you something to go on...but hopefully others who frequent this board with way more knowledge than me might see this post and add something to help you:)

Cheers

Kit,

ozscott has given you some good advice above.....

If fully operational they tend to fetch $400-$600 if an older model (which this sounds like).

But this machine could be in need of some very expensive repairs..... things like pump and motor will set you back several hundred dollars.... if an automatic and the computer board is dodgy that can be many hundreds to replace.....

If the boiler has been badly contaminated with milk it is sometimes almost impossible to remove (in the commercial world these machines are thrown to the tip!!)

Unless you know your way around the machine and are prepared to invest lots of hours (and $$$$$$) fixing it..... then it needs to be in pretty good condition as purchased..... Id be hesitant to offer more than a couple of hundred dollars based on your description so far..... but even I (who have restored my La Cimbali) wouldnt touch it without a thorough inspection....

Even a "free" second hand commercial machine can end up costing a lot more than one known to be working properly with no obvious problems!

Please feel free to ignore this post, as I have zero experience of commercial machines. However, to add to the sage advice already given, in my experience of cafes, the only ones that ever use these machines dont know or care about anything to do with coffee. I know thats a sweeping generalisation and shows my prejudice, but somebody else can offer a contrary view. All the Bo-emas Ive ever seen have had steam wands encrusted with old milk, and are most often seen in hamburger joints, bakeries, or cafes where the focus is not on coffee (e.g. what used to be called milk bars). So, the first thing Id look at would be the boiler, because if thats shot its not worth going any further. Personally, I dont think its worth going even that far, but you can see my prejudice from a long way away.

However, if youre looking for a machine to give you practice restoring coffee machines, or simply to give you a foundation to build your own machine, then why not? I think all Bo-emas are made here from off-the-shelf stock standard Italian parts, so should be easy to get spares. Im not saying theyre no good, just that they tend to have a hard life...

But if it doesnt cost much, go for it!

matt

DONT USE

couple of pics would give us a better idea
    graham

I worked on a Boema 2 group today.

The steam valves are an absolute pain in the butt to change the washer.

Parts wise - i bought directly from Bo-ema.

Im pretty sure though that you can get Bezzera group seals off coffeeparts.com.au, which im certain are interchangeable with Bo-ema seals.

Steam tap washers are prob similar in diameter to Bezzeras also.

Apart from that, they are pretty basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolcimelo link=1206953518/0#3 date=1206965569
    Please feel free to ignore this post, as I have zero experience of commercial machines. However, to add to the sage advice already given, in my experience of cafes, the only ones that ever use these machines dont know or care about anything to do with coffee. I know thats a sweeping generalisation and shows my prejudice, but somebody else can offer a contrary view. All the Bo-emas Ive ever seen have had steam wands encrusted with old milk, and are most often seen in hamburger joints, bakeries, or cafes where the focus is not on coffee (e.g. what used to be called milk bars). So, the first thing Id look at would be the boiler, because if thats shot its not worth going any further. Personally, I dont think its worth going even that far, but you can see my prejudice from a long way away.

However, if youre looking for a machine to give you practice restoring coffee machines, or simply to give you a foundation to build your own machine, then why not? I think all Bo-emas are made here from off-the-shelf stock standard Italian parts, so should be easy to get spares. Im not saying theyre no good, just that they tend to have a hard life...

But if it doesnt cost much, go for it!

matt
    Youre not in South Aus are you, Mark?

I swear the Boema salesman had a field day all those years back down there.

Thankfully though, they are slowly being demoted to, as you say, hamburger joints and other so called cafes.

thanks for all the advice...ive asked to take it off their hands since its not being used. If I can get if for nothing, Ill strip it down and take a look at it. Not going to risk anything.

Cheers,

Kit