coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: About descale Breville dual boiler

About descale Breville dual boiler

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Hi All,

Any comments on descaling the Breville dual boiler machine?
    What if using the BRITA filtered water to fill BDB since begining of use, is the descaling aviodable?

Thanks

Nick OY

Re: About descale Breville dual boiler

It seems the Brita jugs dont do much in terms of reducing scale (water softening), the Breville has a water softner filter in the water tank. I recall reading here on CS that if you replace this filter as required, the machine will normally not need a descale for a few years.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4251574E424D230 link=1323004493/1#1 date=1323006928
    It seems the Brita jugs dont do much in terms of reducing scale (water softening), the Breville has a water softner filter in the water tank. I recall reading here on CS that if you replace this filter as required, the machine will normally not need a descale for a few years.
    Hi artman,

I bought the Brita filter and the user manual said the filter can reduce limescale and substances.

Thanks

Nick OY

Quote Originally Posted by 494E444C485E464940270 link=1323004493/2#2 date=1323007460
    artman wrote Today at 00:55:
    It seems the Brita jugs dont do much in terms of reducing scale (water softening), the Breville has a water softner filter in the water tank.* I recall reading here on CS that if you replace this filter as required, the machine will normally not need a descale for a few years.

Hi artman,

I bought the Brita filter and the user manual said the filter can reduce limescale and substances.
    My expreience is that the small supermarket drinking water filter achieves a result somewhere between zero and nothing as far as scale is concerned.

Yeah, the consensus is it might do something for the first jug or 2, but then its negligible. My wife used a Brita jug to fill a kettle and it developed a thin layer of scale in a relatively short time.

Also, some people have reported a build up of carbon in the boilers of machines that have been filled with brita jugs.

Cheers