Thread: Service and care tips for a 1980s Saeco Bar 2000 - Melbourne

Jemstar

Service and care tips for a 1980s Saeco Bar 2000 - Melbourne

Hi All!

I have recently purchased a Saeco Bar 2000 machine - circa 1985 (awaiting Delivery). I have used a similar but larger commercial machine in the 80s and fell in love with the old girls style at first sight.
    Can anyone assist with a contact for a good Service person in Victoria who can obtain parts if and when it is required without charging the earth :o.
    Also wanting general advice on products available to suit re descaling the brass boiler that will not harm her innards or a copy of an operating manual.
    Not sure what condition she will arrive in but apparently in good working order ATM :-?. Cheers all

Re: Service and care tips for a 1980s Saeco Bar 2000 - Melbourne

Hello jemstar.

I wish you well but am afraid that all is not necessarily rosy...the saeco bar is not commercial by any means and does not operate like a commercial. The biggest difference in the modus operandi would be the steps involved in making steam and then going back to coffee mode.

This is important, because if you get it wrong and blow the element ( or even if you dont and sometime down the track it fails for any other reason) it is very possible you wont get a replacement. Some of the parts in many older machines like this are well obsolete and it can cause some grief to those wanting to repair and service them. That doesnt mean you would not get the machine running again as there are companies that will replace the element in the brass housing you supply, but it will be costly for a one off job.

The owner booklets were next to useless but good for you if you want one and can get one. As stated the most important thing is to make sure you do the steam / coffee transition properly so as not to cause failure and the problem with replacement.

For descaling you can use any proprietary descaling solution and some of the products available today may well be better than whatever may have been recommended in the booklet all those years ago.

There are a three places in Melbourne that I know of that had a lot to do with older (original type) saeco domestics and where you might turn to in the event of a service problem, and another in Sydney.

Hope that helps.

Jemstar

THanks so much Fresh_Coffee.
    Duly noted and aware about the non commercial factor of the little Bar, just love the chunky industrial 80s look. Looking forward to the challenge of coaxing the machine along whilst discovering the individual quirks it may have to get a satisfactory cup. Looks like I am in for a bit of a rollercoaster re parts supply, but thats to be expected from an old girl - hence my fishing around for potential support!
    cheers
    J.

Jemstar

Took delivery today and what a state it was in! So full of old coffee grounds. The machine is now spik n span and working well. First batch from the inbuilt grinder was a bit fine but the coffee was great ( espresso WOW) ::)

parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jemstar View Post
    Took delivery today and what a state it was in! So full of old coffee grounds. The machine is now spik n span and working well. First batch from the inbuilt grinder was a bit fine but the coffee was great ( espresso WOW) :
    Sorry if I'm bringing up the dead but did you ever find a parts supply in Aus for your Bar2000, I need a boiler for one and am not having any luck.

BG