Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JavaB

Thread: Silvia Problem - No water through group head

Silvia Problem - No water through group head

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Silvia is not working... :(

I can get water through the steam wand, but none coming through the group head. Over the past week it would make a terrible cracking/spurting noise initially whilst pulling a shot and then work as per normal. Today no water comes out of the group head at all. I can hear the pump working, but no water coming out of the group head, the sound is kind of like when you grind to finely and choke the machine. Sounds like there might be a blockage somewhere?

Any ideas on what the problem might be and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Silvia Problem - No water through group head

Sounds like the 3 way valve has seized....

Do you regularly backflush the machine (with backflush detergent)?...... even though it is not recommended by Rancilio - it is essential or coffee oils can seize the 3 way...... and that is just like choking the machine with too fine a grind. No water is released and the pump just pushes against a closed 3 way valve.

Site Sponsor

Bloop,

JavaB is correct.

Another thing will be, take out your shower screen could be this is all block with coffee.

Gook luck

Renzo

Hi JavaB,

I last backflushed it about a month ago, I normally do this once every two months. I now notice though that there is no water going into the drip pan from the valve.

Is it possible to fix the valve (i.e. take out and clean at home) or does it have to be replaced?

If replacement is necessary, do you happen to offer this service Renzo?

Thanks guys.

bloop,

There is a site on the internet with detailed instructions on how to disassemble the 3 way - I cant remember where it is but a google search for " silvia 3way overhaul" should locate it for you. The instructions are very easy to follow and the procedure is pretty simple.

Edit:

try http://memweb.newsguy.com/~jenkins/silvia/
    Albeany71 likes this.

Hi JavaB,

Thanks for the link.

Ive just disassembled the valve and gave it a thorough cleaning, reassembled, but alas no water through the group head :(

Looks like Ill have to take it to Renzo.

OK, if everything moves freely it might be a burnt out solenoid on that valve.....

You could check if you have a multimeter..... but other than that.... probably is a trip to see Renzo.

Just a follow up post to say its been fixed :)

JavaB you were right, it was a burnt out solenoid.

I called Renzo however he had 8 machines in front waiting to be repaired so I thought Id try my luck and give replacing the solenoid a go, otherwise itd be a while without coffee...

I called up Coffeeparts and luckily got Pedro on the phone. I described the problem to him and he told me to try changing just the coil, and showed me exactly which part was needed. Thanks to Pedro for his help and integrity.

So the part came the next day and it was an easy 5 minute installation and hey presto all is well once again.

If anyone gets the same problem with their Silvia, this is the part you need - 700179_22 from this page: http://coffeeparts.com/astoria/700181_22.htm

So thanks to everyone for their help and especially JavaB for pointing me in the right direction.

I love a happy ending *sniff*

Pedro is the best. Glad you mentioned him, and congratulations, theres nothing better than being able to fix your own machine.