Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 troubleshooting

Sunbeam EM6910 troubleshooting

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Excuse if any of these sound like dumb questions but I am a newbie to this whole coffee thing after having my eyes opened by a few mates who are into CS and roasting their own beans. *Anyway to cut a long story short I have been loaned/given an EM6910 to use which has been sitting around for a long time but to me does not seem to be working correctly. *I suspect that something has blocked or stuck as there were a lot of crystals sitting in the base of the water tank when I got it which I rinsed out. *I have also descaled the machine using vinegar as per the manual but have not backflushed it as I havent had a chance to get any of the cleaning tablets yet. I have flushed through about 3 tanks of water on manual and tried to make a few espressos using the double basket (single wall) with some freshly roasted beans that I have roasted and also a mate who roasts gave me. The problem I seem to be having is that not much espresso is coming out, nowehere near 60ml if I use the double shot button and a lot of water seems to be building up in the drip tray via the overflow.
    • How much water is supposed to come out of the overflow/relief port into the bottom of the drip tray whilst you are using the machine, some, a little or none? *

• The pressure gauge does not seem to rise, I have tried overdosing and tamping to the point that I can get no flow out of the PF yet the pressure gauge doesnt seem to move from the bottom of its scale. *I dont have a proper grinder yet but I was working on the theory that if the grind was too fine for a plunger and fine enough that I could completely block flow then it was somewhere near fine enough.

• Is there any way of getting hold of a service manual for one of these machines? I fix air conditioners for a living so have pretty good understanding of electronics and electromechanical things, just this is the 1st coffee machine I have played with.

Are there any tests that I can do myself to try and fault find what is going on? I know the machine is out of warranty as it has been sitting unused for at least a year that I know of. *I saw an earlier post somewhere about sunbeam checking machine operation with the rubber cleaning seal or something.
    Cheers

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 troubleshooting

Hey ausdb, welcome to cofffeesnobs :)

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people (only kidding) ;)

Sounds to me as though three-way valve - that opens to release pressure in the grouphead after you pour a shot - is stuck open. This can happen if the machine isnt backflushed regularly, as coffee oils gradually build up over time. It could also be that the pressure gauge has stopped working (this is a known fault), but if the former is the case it would be hard to tell.

When you use a fine grind and tamp hard to the point that no coffee comes through, does the pump make a low, laboring noise? This is what youd expect if it was working correctly.

Water should only flow into drip tray *after* you have ended the shot, not during. The fact that you can totally block the flow of water through the group without the pressure needle moving also makes me think that the three-way is stuck open.

Backflushing with either a cleaning tablet or commercial espresso machine cleaner (which is much cheaper) should do the trick if Im right about the three-way valve. The manual has instructions on how to run the automatic cleaning program, but Id be inclined to use the manual button instead to get some dissolved cleaner and water into the pressure release pipe, then stop the machine and leave it to sit for ten-15 minutes. Repeat with the cleaner, then a few times with plain water to rinse and with any luck you should be in business.

DONT USE

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people [s](only kidding)[/s] who dont ask

good backflush as pointed out above
    graham

The "rubber cleaning seal" should be in its holder in the back door of the machine.
    Its used for backflushing but has never sealed very well whenever Ive tried. Maybe thats how its meant to be.

Ive never run across a service manual.

If you dont have an instruction manual you can download one from Sunbeam.

Cheers m@ and fix for the advice, it does seem like something is not closing to allow the machine to build pressure. *I tried it this morning with the cleaning seal in place and hitting the manual button. *In theory I guess this should have made the machine have a fit as it would be basically pumping against a closed head but the gauge did not rise and water still came out the overflow into the drip tray. *

m@ On the backflushing I have looked through the manual on its recommendation to use the tablets and seal but are you saying that just adding some cleaner to the tank and running it through will have the same effect? or would it be possible to add some powdered cleaner in place of the tablet then run the machine through the cleaning cycle?

Thundergod, cheers I have found the cleaning seal and already downloaded the user manual.

Final piece of interesting info, I spoke with the lady who has bequeathed the machine to me, according to her she only used it about half a dozen times before litting it sit there to gather dust!

Whatever you do, dont put espresso machine cleaner in the water tank!

Its a cheaper (and IMO better) alternative to the Sunbeam cleaning tablets and goes in the portafilter, on top of the rubber cleaning disk. The disk blocks the path of the water through the portafilter, so normally pressure builds up until the shot ends and the three-way valve opens, then the water and dissolved cleaner pass through the three-way and into the drip tray, cleaning as they go...

In your case, Im guessing that water and cleaner will start flowing through the three-way immediately, so you might be better off blocking the hole in the middle of the cleaning disk with something and dissolving the cleaner in some hot water (it comes as a powder) before placing it in the portafilter. Its pretty strong stuff (caustic I think), so not a bad idea to wear latex gloves and eye protection...

Good luck!

Interesting, did she mention why she shelved it? Might be that the three-way valve never operated properly! Id guess it would be easy to replace if it comes to that; sourcing the part might be the biggest problem...

Quote Originally Posted by m@ link=1218645672/0#5 date=1218693196
    Whatever you do, dont put espresso machine cleaner in the water tank!

Its a cheaper (and IMO better) alternative to the Sunbeam cleaning tablets and goes in the portafilter, on top of the rubber cleaning disk. The disk blocks the path of the water through the portafilter, so normally pressure builds up until the shot ends and the three-way valve opens, then the water and dissolved cleaner pass through the three-way and into the drip tray, cleaning as they go...

In your case, Im guessing that water and cleaner will start flowing through the three-way immediately, so you might be better off blocking the hole in the middle of the cleaning disk with something and dissolving the cleaner in some hot water (it comes as a powder) before placing it in the portafilter. Its pretty strong stuff (caustic I think), so not a bad idea to wear latex gloves and eye protection...

Good luck!

Interesting, did she mention why she shelved it? Might be that the three-way valve never operated properly! Id guess it would be easy to replace if it comes to that; sourcing the part might be the biggest problem...
    Disaster narrowly averted! so I guess not such a dumb question after all,
    I am happy with working with caustic, as I use it for cleaning my home brew equipment. *I wonder if straight sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in napisan) would also work as I have a bucket load of that at home already?
    Edit just found this post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1171544498/0 so it looks like the main bit of the cleaner tablet is sodium percarb so I wil give that a crack 1st as the neat stuff can be had for about $3 per kg when bought in bulk lots. Actually I wish I had found that thread last night, its good stuff.

The lady gave up on it as she got it as a freeby but was not really a coffee drinker so it was one of those toys that gets used a few times then forgotten about, until I got the coffee bug.
    Cheers again

Just an update if anyone is interested.
    I sealed up the hole in the sunbean cleaning seal using a drawing pin and with a bit of threadtape wrapped round it then mixed up a teaspoon of straight sodium percarbonate put into my now sealed portafilter and ran it through the machine on manual as per the suggestion. At first the cleaning solution was coming straight out the overflow but after a few manual cycles and soak periods the 3 way valve started to seal up. After about 4 cycles it was pretty reliably building up pressure in the PF and then when I released the manual button there would be a big rush out of the overflow.
    Also to top things off I suspect that the pressure gauge was also a bit sticky as it is now starting to climb a bit and the pump quitens down to the low drumming rather than the jackhammering of previous.

I made few espressos on manual but I think my grind is not fine enough coming out of the spice grinder, the needle is rising but not even up into the yellow zone at the moment. Im off to pick up an em0480 on the way home from work tonight and down the slippery slope
    I got a blank filter screen today in my travels so hopefully this process will be easier in future

Thanks very much for the help so far

DONT USE

the machine is not designed to use a blind filter
    blocking water supply for any extended period may cause internal leaks in the joints

the disc supplied only works with tablets, and doesnt overload the system
    using the disc you will find some water will escape from the PF

always be careful what cleaners you use in your machines, these have aluminiun thermoblocks, and some cleaners will do more damage than good

The Sunbeam guys doing the free coffee session said only use diluted vinegar to clean a machine, and not cleaning tablets.

Open, honest guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLevo link=1218645672/0#9 date=1219406726
    The Sunbeam guys doing the free coffee session said only use diluted vinegar to clean a machine, and not cleaning tablets.

Open, honest guys.
    Surely they just meant for descaling?

I might be wrong with my memory but I thought at my Sunbeam class, they said to just do the backwash at the end of each day but that I didnt need to add vinegar or anything (just 5 manual cycles or so). Then every 6 months or so use vinegar or the tablets.

Could my memory be wrong? Meaning, does just doing the backwash without any tablets have a beneficial impact? I use filtered water so I am not too fussed about scaling, etc.

Backflushing helps but you cant get away without a cleaning solution.

Take the shower screens off and see how much coffee oil there is behind those.

m@ theres no boiler; both the shot water and steam go through thermoblocks.

So am I right in thinking that the vinegar, if run through from the tank to the group and steam wand, is what they meant by enough to clean it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1218645672/0#12 date=1219637273
    m@ theres no boiler; both the shot water and steam go through thermoblocks.
    Yes - stainless steel-lined* aluminium - but they require regular descaling (according to Sunbeam at least). In the manual Sunbeam recommend their proprietary tablets, fluid or vinegar every four to six months. I strongly suspect that what the guys running the training course were getting at is that you dont have to use Sunbeams descaling tablets, not that that you can clean the whole machine with just vinegar.

Regular backflushing with Sunbeam tablets/cafetto is essential - unless you like the taste of rancid coffee oils ;)

*which is why I think its fine to use cafetto

Even if Sunbeam say vinegar is OK for scale removal.......

I wouldnt use it in any machine I own. There is a lot more than just acetic acid (probably alright on its own) in Vinegar - things which give it its taste and even colour in some cases..... sure it may not attack the stainless steel inner..... but with the heat etc in the thermoblock, something could precipitate onto the walls and block or partially block the fine tubes.....

Use the correct chemicals..... its cheap insurance that nothing will go wrong.

So balsamic is out then?

Just chipping in again, I have pulled my em6910 apart to have a look inside and also had a chance to put it side by sde with an em6910 that is working. I have come to the conclusion that mine is pretty well scaled up and this is either making the pump work inefficiently or allowing a bit of bypass past the relief valve on the exit of the pump. Also the pressure gauge is either stuffed or the copper capillary line to it has blocked up as it shows pressure when the machine is off!

I have tried descaling with vinegar as per the manual but looks like time to get hold of some of the sunbeam tabs. Are there any reasons why you could not run some citirc acid through it to soak for a while? When you look at the thermoblocks you can see the stainless steel tube connections where the pipes go into the thermoblocks but do they run the whole way through the thermoblocks?

DONT USE

yes the thermoblocks are stainless steel lined (china build)
    but i wouldnt risk using any harsh cleaners as it is a brittle steel and easily fractures

graham

Can anyone help with a problem im having with my sunbeam EM6910' It has been working fine but the basket had become sloppy and was leaking water so i took the top off andtightened the screws ..
    I put it back together and while the basket fits nice and tight the power button stays red and pumps water through the hot water wand and pumps water through the basket but the steamer doesnt work what have i done..?..

By basket do you mean the group head collar? Looks like this...? https://bwh-spares.appspot.com/images/1648686.jpg

If so I don't think it is the problem, I think it more likely you've nudged something when doing it and you need to reconnect a wire or connection.

The steamer has decided to work but its one or the other.yeah the group head collar . I will take a deap breath and operate again.. Thanks for your help

Hi there - seems like the right thread.

My much loved little em6910, that I've had for just over 5 years, has out of the blue stopped working. No sign of life except for a constant red light above the programming button. This doesn't look good. No power light - I do get the little 'thunk' noise when the power is turned on at the wall that it's always had, but nothing else.

It's just changed - lights go on, steam works, the main pump doesn't do a thing.

It's a pity, as although it took a while for me to sort out it's peculiarities, it's been producing fantastic espresso the last few years.

On another thread, someone suggests looking up the warning light guides, only I can't find any guides about this.

Can anyone help by suggesting where I start looking, or what to do? I'm tending to think it might be electrical, although the main pump, out of warranty, does not look good...

Cheers

Are you saying that it stopped completely except the 'thunk' and the red light, but now you get lights & steam?

How handy are you? You could take it apart and see if anything looks fried, corroded etc. There's a guide at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ent-guide.html that has good instructions to taking things apart.

How good has your cleaning regimen been? I got a 2nd hand machine and cleaned it but found almost totally blocked showerscreens and eventually (when it blew clear) a partially blocked steam wand, so it seems to me the machine will work under fairly extreme conditions.

A possibility is to pick up a non-working (for reasons other than main pump ) 6910 for cheap and use the parts from it to fix yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Are you saying that it stopped completely except the 'thunk' and the red light, but now you get lights & steam?

How good has your cleaning regimen been? I got a 2nd hand machine and cleaned it but found almost totally blocked showerscreens and eventually (when it blew clear) a partially blocked steam wand, so it seems to me the machine will work under fairly extreme conditions.

A possibility is to pick up a non-working (for reasons other than main pump ) 6910 for cheap and use the parts from it to fix yours.
    Thanks Journeyman. I like a challenge and can do electrics without killing myself, but if it's a plumbing issue, I refuse to go there (I'm perfectly happy if my wife calls a plumber for bathroom faults, as I have made small leaks into major leaks in the past). I was planning on getting it into the garage this evening and see what I could do. Usually that's a last resort though.

As far as I could tell before I had to leave for work this morning, it will now heat up with all lights on, and I get steam, but pump doesn't engage and no water anywhere. Interestingly, it wouldn't turn off either - perhaps the buttons have stopped as well... I think that requires at least up to step 5 of your guide...

The cleaning was reasonably good. Nothing much at the start but for the last three years, backflushing after each coffee, weekly cleanings with cleaner, checking things too, but for some reason my machine stayed a lot cleaner than my friends.

I'll venture in and report back later, if newsworthy.

On the other hand, a local store here in Hamilton, NZ, has a EM7000 that's sort of affordable... That's the alternate if things don't work out

*envy emoticon* I wish I had the spares for a 7000... Soon perhaps...

And, as I turned it on just in case it had magically fixed itself while I was away, I found the water supply opposite the steam wand pumps happily now.

The buttons refuse to do anything. I'm hoping it's only (ha) electrical. I will see what I can discover tonight...

So, light codes - what's power light red, one off, then two green (the single/double buttons) then program button red?

I don't know that, however I would start with a factory reset (the manual is available online if you do not have the paper one) and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

TampIt

Wow. That was strange.

I took the machine into the garage, after clearing a spot for it. The deconstruction was easier than I thought - Journeyman's instructions are extremely useful, even if I managed to completely skip step 4. But I wasn't trying to replace a collar - I was looking for reasons why the pump wasn't working. Nothing stood out as unplugged, loose, frayed or otherwise. I poked a few things with an insulated screwdriver, lightly, and tried to trace where the water was supposed to flow, but that was it.

Putting it back together was also easier than I imagined. And I used all the screws as well, with none left over. Did manage to strip one screw, though, so it wasn't perfect.

Plugged it in, in the garage (in case something blew, that way I'm not resetting the house fuseboard in the dark), and got the above light pattern. Turned it off, then tried to start the cleaning cycle. The pump started! So turned it off, and found that it pumped hot water again!!

Inside, fired it up and made a reasonable cup (slightly underfull basket) - my first today! And it tasted good.

But there are some changes in the machine. The steam is now stronger and hotter, and steamed the milk in about half the time I was used to. It also takes about 5 seconds to 'wind down' when turned off. And the hot water dispenser does not work anymore.

All I can think is that I dislodged some blockage with all the banging and screwing taking it apart and putting it back together again. And caused others? Other opinions gratefully accepted...

If it works at 7:15 tomorrow morning, I'm a happy man! Even though the 7000 for NZ$760 was looking very attractive not that long ago, I'm not adverse to holding onto the cash for the moment. :}

Thanks for the advice!

When my steam 'blew' it's nose I had to relearn how to make microfoam. Ignore the manual and go get some espresso cleaner - mine from the local roaster is called (snigger) cino cleano (seriously, does anyone actually USE PR techniques?) and it works great.

The built in procedure does backflush several times which helps to clean the system from the collar on. I do NOT see how it would do anything at all inside the thermoblocks and in fact the SB manual specifically describes a steam wand solution that will NEVER clean your steam system apart from the wand.

And the SB tablets will not address naything past the 3-way valve - if it did, the slightest over-dose in your PF would blow the system backwards.

So, as a SB EM6910 owner... and I presume for EM7000 owners, there are 2 problems the manual and SOP will not address. Anything in your water path that is thermoblock side of the 3-way valve, and anything that might be in your steam system that high temp water vapour cannot shift.

Here is what I do every 2 weeks...

With about 1.5L in the water tank (take out the calcium cartridge thing if you have one - stick it in a salt water bath to recharge) I add about 40ml of the cleaner. I start the SB cleaning cycle. Put a container under the PF that has the cleaning disk (or a blind filter) in it (wait till all lights are on, turn it off then hold down single + double and press the on button; hold until the light cycle happens) the sit back for about 5 - 10 minutes until it stops.

Move the container under the water nozzle and run it for 30 secs.

Empty the container, put it back under the steam wand and start the steam. Go away for 10 minutes or until the water runs out.

Empty the tank, remove the PF, wash everything - I do it in hot water from the tap several times and then again in my RO water.

Put approx 1.5L of the water you are willing to drink in the tank. (rinse it with the new water first)

Repeat the above steps - I do this twice, but I have a red wine palate so I am not willing to risk strange tastes. (ALL the above steps, including the steam for 10 minutes or more - a couple of times now I have been about to turn off the steam and it has 'burped' at me and spat murky water into the container)

If your machine has been working for a couple of months or more and all you have done it by the manual, I suggest get some standard cleaner from your local roasters and do the above. Fill your tank to 2L and leave the steam run for 15 or 20 minutes - if it is still hiccuping at you, let it run some more. I'd be wary of vinegar as a solution (pun intended) simply because most vinegars are not just ascetic acid and unless you know exactly what is in there and what it might do to your coffee, you should go with the roasters recommendation.

Thanks.

I'll give that a go when I have a quiet few hours sometime after the weekend - I'm never sure if my wife's birthday on a long weekend is a good thing or not, but at least it means we go somewhere. I'll probably be stuck looking at specials on newer, fancier machines in Auckland...

Clarification - it is the cino cleaner descaler you use, right? I find it pays to be certain of the details. I suppose I have to find something comparible to that in rural(ish) NZ. Wish me luck, and thanks again...

Journey - this protocol looks good. I have seen others say that you should never blow standard descaler through the steam wand as you are vaporising acid....thoughts? My steam is very inconsistent and I think weaker than when I first got the machine, so keen to clean the steam system somehow.

Cleaner I use is Cino Cleano - espresso machine cleaner. Go to cinocleano.com.au and click the pink label one in the centre. Doesn't say on bottle what's in it, but the site description specifically mentions thermoblock machines.

As stated in my My New Machine thread I run it through the steam wand. When I accidentally left it running for 15 minutes or more I got a throat-clearing burp from the machine and the steam has been MUCH stronger since.

I think the user manual is more about protecting SB from lawsuits by dickheads than it is about telling you how to look after your machine (or even make good milk - see the 'screaming' thread) All I found in the manual about the steam system is to run steam through it - my coffee roasters put me onto cino cleano and told me it is fine to run through the wand.

My steam wasn't too bad before but now it is almost pro level - I can make microfoam for a mug of latté in the time it takes to pour the shot - I hit the pour button and turn the steam knob, steam starts in 4 seconds, I shut it off, position the jug and turn it back on - my thermometer is about to be in the green range as I hit the button on the coffee at 25 seconds.

@Davo - my coffee roasters would agree I think - I mentioned vinegar and they blanched and said never to run it through a heat path. I'd get something like the cino cleano and run 1.5 litre of it (50ml in 1.5L tank of water, OK?) first through the standard backflush cycle and then let the rest of the water flush through the steam wand. Could take 20 minutes to run it all through until the tank runs dry.

The backflush takes approx a litre to run. Stick a container on the tray under the PF. Empty it and the tray before starting the steam process, then put the container back under the steam wand - it's quieter than letting it run into the grill of the tray. Then let it run.

The Good Guys in Mt Welly, despite a HUGE display of sad nespresso toys, had something called ExpressoKleen, which is made by Sellys and has a picture of a Breville 800 on the front.

Instructions look similar, although they have a 40 gm packet dissolved in 1 litre of water, and alternately run 200 ml through 'brew cycle' then 200 ml through the steam wand, then resting for 10 minutes, then repeating until all the solution is used up. Guess that's for machines without automatic cleaning cycles...

I'll give it a go and hope for something good to come of it.

Ok - ExpressoKleen.

Put it in the back, after removing calc filter, dissolved in about 1200 ml of warm water.

Ran the machine through the autoclean process, which produced a light green liquid - I think that's the cleaner. On the proper clean I ran it through afterwards, saw a few flecks of black, so I guess it cleaned something organic out of the pipes.

Then I ran the steam wand until just past the low light warning - about a litre of cleaning solution. Did this in two steps, 15 minutes then 10 minutes rest, then another 10 minutes or so. Ran badly, spluttering and pausing on occasion, although I'm not sure if that was the cleaning or the thermoblock having issues staying warm for all that time. The condensed discharge was darker green than the PF discharge, and on the second run it was even darker green. The first 10 minutes of clean water through gave some more green solution in the first minute or so, but a second 10 minutes was crystal clear, constant and fast.

So possibly a success? Will find out tomorrow morning.

Re the delay with the steam wand shutoff and the hot water not working - I think this is more due to me putting them back wrong. A friend who has a now defunct 6900 had the steam switch break, and the 'authorised repairman' put in a different switch that had the same issue. And with the hot water, if it was a blockage, I'd hear the pump trying to, well, pump, but there's nothing here, so I'm thinking it's the switch. Not that I ever use it, though, so I'm not that worried.

I have been cleaning around the group head withe the machine on its back( water container removed). It was plugged in but not on at the power button.When I stood it up the pump started without any buttons being pressed and didn't turn off or respond when other buttons were pressed. I turned it off , put water container back and turned it on again. Water flowed through the group head continuously and there was no response from pressing any buttons. It was working fine earlier in the day. Any ideas what's gone wrong?

It sounds like water has dripped onto the control board.
    Fist thing to try would be to let it dry out thoroughly and then power it up again - there is every chance it will be OK but if it is still faulty immediately switch it off and unplug it.
    Inside a warm car for several hours would be a good spot to dry it.
    BTW, the power button on the front of the machine only puts it to sleep - mains power is still on to the internal parts. Switching it off at the wall (and unplugging it) is the only sure way to switch it off for cleaning.
    Also, the case is not very well sealed and with the machine on it's back the control board is right in the line of fire for any water which gets in. It is probably best to always keep it right way up even if it is more awkward to work on.

Yes ^. When laying on its back, the splash cover on the control board will act like a dunking bucket.
    Better laying it on its front to wash the front, rather that risk water draining through the machine.

Maybe pop the back cover off, then the control cover, and empty it and let it dry. Unplugged is def recommended.

Hi Guys,
    My EM6910 machine has stopped working. When I press the power button the green blinking light comes on, as does the red 'Low Water' light blinks non stop and I get 4 beeps... then the system begins to heat up, but the lights don't stop blinking and no other buttons or actions work?

• I have checked water levels and magnet and all work fine.
    • I have tried a 'Reset' using the Manual button held down then pressing the power button... I get the standard 4 beeps to indicate its reset - but nothing works after that as before...
    • I've spoken to the Sunbeam people and they think it could be the magnet sensor down by the water level indicator?

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
    Last edited by carlbutel; 4th April 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Hi Carl

Just a couple of questions to help with a diagnosis -
    Can you hear the relays clicking inside when you turn it on?
    Do the group head and steam thermoblocks start to warm up? - carefully feel the group area and the LH side panel for each of these.
    How did you check the float magnet - the magnet inside the float slowly breaks down over time and this may be a separate issue.

PS As this appears to be your first post, welcome to the forum.
    Trev

Rbn
    You can "fool" the machine into thinking the water level is correct by getting a small magnet and attaching it where the sensor should be to indicate water level is good.

A simple thing to do to "see if that it what it is".
    I have replaced mine a couple of times, and it looks like it is due to be replaced again, it has started to bulge.

However, this may not be your issue. There is a common failure of the "thermal fuse".
    I have had one go on me twice, about $60.00 for a repair man to fix. A lot less if you do it yourself.
    But I can not remember the symptoms.
    Last edited by rawill; 5th April 2018 at 01:33 PM.

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

Can you hear the relays clicking inside when you turn it on?

Yes I can hear a distinct click when I turn it on - but only one click, then the beeping starts.

Do the group head and steam thermoblocks start to warm up? - carefully feel the group area and the LH side panel for each of these.

Group Head most definitely heats up...and quickly! Steam Thermo area on the left is warming slowly (I can only feel the heat right behind the steam dial tho - Left side panel is still cool to touch)

How did you check the float magnet - the magnet inside the float slowly breaks down over time and this may be a separate issue.

I don't think I did a good job of checking the magnet, so just took it out of the water tank and tried to see if it would attract to metal at all - it did NOT. I rubbed it up and down on the inside of the machine where I think the sensor should be and it did cause the 4 beeps to activate again. So I tried that again later but it did nothing the next time. All the while the red water light continues to blink.

Hi rawill,
    I just took the float magnet out and pressed it hard against the internal side wall where the sensor would be and the red light turned OFF!!!

Did this happen with you? Does this mean the magnet isn't strong enough any more?

Rbn
    Sounds to me like it is not strong enough. Fix this first, then see what happens.
    My magnets had totally disintegrated, they were just kind of like "powder".

As a temp fix I put another magnet there while I waited for a new one.

And let me add my welcome to the wonderful world of coffee, and being a true CS!

Hi Carl
    Sorry about the delay in replying but have had a few computer problems to sort out.

It would seem that you could have two separate faults to deal with as the machine should progress to "Ready" even with a faulty water level float.
    It would not hurt to try a magnet first to see if the water level indicator responds but I suspect the the main issue is with the steam circuit.
    Possible faults here include thermal fuse o/c, thermal switch failed, steam thermoblock heating element failed, faulty thermistor, relay or control board fault.
    All of these faults require opening the machine and would not be recommended unless you feel you are capable, as they require working with mains voltages.

Hope this helps

Trev

Thanks mate, I'll get to ordering a new float ASAP.

No worries Trev,

I have managed to prove the magnet is stuffed. So will get to replacing that.
    As for the other issue, I guess I better get it to an authorised repair shop here to take a look under the hood.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

All good! - please let us know how you get on.

em6910 Steam pump problemstarted produc

Hello, my first post.
    I’m on my second of these lovely machines and recently this one has developed a problem with the steam pressure thermoblock. It has had had moments of intermittent operation but just this morning it has decided to not work at all. Espresso thermoblock works fine but I’m I’m not that fond of black coffee! The last time I had a problem I had to make black coffee and forgot to turn the rotary switch off and about ten minutes later the steam wand started doing its thing, but not today. Any clues? Is it electrical or mechanical?
    Last edited by Vfmarky; 7th April 2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: More information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast