coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 Coffee Machine - NEED ADVICE

Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 Coffee Machine - NEED ADVICE

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    I currently have a Breville manual coffee machine that has died, been great for the last 5 years but ready to move on. *I like the Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 automatic, coffee tastes great and easy to use for domestic use. *Anyone have any thoughts on this model, good/bad etc? *Love to hear your thoughts...

Re: Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 Coffee Machine - NEED ADVICE

Quote Originally Posted by 0E2327234A0 link=1240795801/0#0 date=1240795801
    I currently have a Breville manual coffee machine that has died, been great for the last 5 years but ready to move on. *I like the Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 automatic, coffee tastes great and easy to use for domestic use. *Anyone have any thoughts on this model, good/bad etc? *Love to hear your thoughts...
    Hi Dimi and welcome,

You wont find too many fans of superauto machines here...

A couple of things to keep in mind:[*]This style of machine is a complex machine and prone to failure. Prepare yourself for regular time without it when it requires service. Once its out of warranty, expect to spend $$$[*]Coffee beans should not be stored near heat; therefore not in the inbuilt grinder- which will be of poor to average quality[*]One part dies (eg grinder) and you have no machine[*]If you want coffee at the push of a button, find a good barista and get him/her to do it for you. The results will be a heap better.

A good manual machine coupled with a good grinder, fresh beans and sound technique will give you a far beter result..

Ultimately, the result in the cup will be proportional to the effort you put into producing that cup...

Good luck ;)

2mcm

Thank you 2mcm, your advice is great. I do agree, a manual machine does make a much better coffee. Do you have any suggestions on a good manual machine to buy for domestic use?

Greatly appreciate any advice
    Cheers
    Dimi

Hi Dimi,

Bet bet is to think about your budget (including grinder and accessories) and CSers will do their best to help...

2mcm

I have had a Sunbeam 6910 now for 3 months.
    It makes great coffee. The price of these machines has risen over the last month or so. I paid around $720.00 for the machine, sunbeam grinder and knock box.
    The machine is easy to use but will take a bit of time to refine your skills as a barista.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, its very confusing deciding on what machine to buy!

Cheers
    Dimi

It can be confusing, but if you think about a few key things first, your choice can easily be narrowed down considerably -

Whats your budget for machine and grinder. Dont be tempted to get a better machine at the expense of the grinder, do the opposite, great grinder and average machine will still equal better than average coffee, but not the other way round.

Think about how you have your coffee and how the machine will be used. Do you (and those that will use the machine) have a higher proportion of milk based drinks or is it predominantly black drinks.

For mostly black drinks, a good single boiler machine will suffice (Sylvia, Piccolo, Gaggia etc), but if it needs to do a lot of milk based drinks, then either a HX machine or something like the Sunbeam EM6910 twin thermoblock machine - if you have the budget, go the HX machine though).

Spend as much as you can justify once, dont do it half arsed or the upgrade-itis bug will bite sooner than it otherwise should

Sen

Dimi, I know its not as glamorous but spend some good money ona good grinder then worry about a machine. Just comes down to budget.

Can I suggest a Silvia and Rocky combo. awesome combo at the price. our sponsors will answer more questions too. :)

spot on Senator!! do your research (as you are here) and then buy the best you can, this will save you $$ in the long term or at least for a while! ;)

check the for sale section on the site too.

The Sunbeam Intuitive EM8910 Coffee Machine is between $650 & $700 AU from what I can see on the net

I personally favour in this price range the Nemox Dell Opera if a compact all in one manual machine is what you want

They cost from dodgy ex sponsor - AVOID $799
    They are also available as separate units Espresso machine & grinder

KK

We had an 8910, which had a lot of problems. Sunbeam replaced it for us once, and it went ok for a while. With good beans, it will make a nice coffee.
    We have since changed to a 6910, and the coffee is even better. (With a little bit more input) It does take more to get a good consistent cup with a manual machine like the 6910.
    We liked the 8910, we just had some reliability issues.