Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106
Results 5,251 to 5,278 of 5278
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

  1. #5251
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1

    Loud buzzing noise

    During a regular Cleaning Cycle, the machine started making a loud buzzing noise near the end of the cycle, and the pressure dropped to approximately 3 bars. After doing some research, I came across other people who experienced a similar problem and recommended performing an “Extended Cleaning Process”, which was essentially running four 30-second shots with the cleaning disk inserted. After the third “shot”, the buzzing sound stopped and the pressure went back up to 9 bars.


    I was then able to successfully brew a proper espresso shot. However, the very next time, the buzzing sound started again. So, I performed another Extended Cleaning Process and, again, after 3 shots, the buzzing went away and the machine worked properly.


    However, the buzzing is now back and the pressure has dropped. Any idea what is happening here?


    My machine is no longer covered by the written warranty. It is approximately 4-1/2 years old, and I usually make one shot per day.

  2. #5252
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    49

    Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dischucker View Post
    I've just searched through this thread but I've not found a satisfying answer... how do I fix a leaking steam wand?

    The leak is in the valve I presume, as it emits a gentle hissing noise whenever the machine is turned on and a small dribble of water continuously runs from the end of the wand (30 ml per 20 min roughly - I measured it ;-).
    Today I discovered I could stop the leak & hissing noise by lifting the steam handle a few mm up from the fully closed position.

    This suggests the handle is now moving past the originally set "off" position. I'll try and take the machine apart and see if I can tighten/adjust/bodge the limit position so it stops at the correct place.
    Last edited by dischucker; 8th November 2016 at 07:10 PM.

  3. #5253
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    I just bought a breville dual boiler with smart grinder and I have a few questions:

    1. Anyone know where to get a naked portafilter and 22gm 3 shot filter basket?

    2. Where in Sydney do you buy fresh roasted beans with "roasted on" dates?

    3. How often should I backflush the group head?

    cheers,

    Jim.

  4. #5254
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejim View Post
    I just bought a breville dual boiler with smart grinder and I have a few questions:

    1. Anyone know where to get a naked portafilter and 22gm 3 shot filter basket?

    2. Where in Sydney do you buy fresh roasted beans with "roasted on" dates?

    3. How often should I backflush the group head?

    cheers,

    Jim.
    Others can probably suggest places in Sydney to get parts & coffee (& see sponsors area of site).

    The machine will show a message during warm up saying "clean me" when it thinks you've pulled enough shots to warrant a backflush clean. I usually just do it when prompted like this.

    Just keep in mind that it considers any shot longer than 7 seconds to be a "coffee", so if you're like me and run a prewarm shot before and a post-shot clean with a GH brush, then you'll be doing a clean 3x as often as Breville suggests. Which is fine by me.

  5. #5255
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    Hello All,

    I'm having a problem with my BES900 which is a bit inconvenient more than anything, but after searching this thread couldn't find any relevant info.

    I turn my machine on and it heats up and the temp goes to 93 degrees and I can use it fine. If I leave the machine for 15 minutes or so the temp gauge still shows 93 degrees but I know it isn't. I open the steam wand and water just drips out.

    If I turn the machine off then back on the temp gauge will show what the true temperature was, usually somewhere 60-80 degrees depending on how long it had been sitting there turned on. But at this point the temperature will stay at whatever it is showing and slowly start to cool down. I cannot hear the boiler coming back on to heat up. If I open up the hot water supply water flows but there is a bit of a delay as if there is air in the line. After water comes out without interruption the boiler switches back on the machine will get back up to 93 degrees and be good to go.

    I've had the machine for a while, it was one of the original shipments when they first came out. It has been back once to have the upgrade, can't remember what went wrong, it was a few years ago.

    Any ideas?

    Miloolimm

  6. #5256
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Hey Miloolimm,

    I've had a similar one a few months ago - it was forever heating up - and then it wasn't stopping when it was reaching the temperature, it would go over quite often. It would also not sense when the temperature would go down below the limit, so I'd get a cold coffee.

    It turned out - it was a temperature sensor which had had it... Replaced it and it has been great ever since.

    I think it would be a similar thing in your case.

    Ino!~

  7. #5257
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    My machine seemed to not be doing too well with pressure the past weeks or so, which I'd attributed to a completely new roast/variety of beans.. I kept going finer with the grind to get the extract time up to 37secs or so and still sometimes it would extract in only 20secs or so...

    Well today it did not extract at all, it made all the noises, then hissing/pressure relief.. then I noticed water leaking out the back of the machine.. investigation has found the following connection is come apart.. it looks threaded but it's probably all gone brittle now.

    pump connection.jpg

    Also, not sure what this sticky goop is on the tube in this picture... it's rather icky to touch!
    goop.jpg


    I'm concerned with the colour of the water in the lines, it's a little brown for my liking, hopefully backflushing will fix that, thought it's probably time for a descale, so have decided to just drop it in for repairs and a service rather than do it myself.. whilst confident I could do it, I've got too much on to take on "another project"

  8. #5258
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    From Post #2871 in the BES900 Owners Thread

    With the power cord plugged IN & turned ON at the wall socket.
    Machine OFF
    Press & hold IN all four buttons simultaneously, Menu, Arrow Down, Arrow Up, Exit. While holding them all down, press the Power button
    The LCD will now be in the Service Mode
    There will be a single, double or even triple digit displayed. This is the number of shots over 7 secs, divided by 10. So if you had 12 on the LCD, this would mean you have pulled 120 shots longer than 7 secs.
    Hi all first post.
    I see that the shot counter is a number divided by 10. The post quoted above says divided by 10 so if it had 12 on the LED screen it would be 1.2 yet when doing the calculation the author undertakes it as a multiplication equating to 120 - which does make sense.

    I purchased yesterday from the Brisbane Seconds centre a 900/B machine that I was told had cosmetic damage. I saw inside there was a printed sheet stating the machine was refurbished. Gave them a call asking if the machine was refurbished. The chap said no it hasn't been used. They have run about 10 test brews/pours to validate the machine is fit for sale.

    I have checked the count number as indicated and it displays the number 264. So am I correct in thinking this machine has had 2640 >7 sec pours? For if that is the case I have been duped. If it is only 264 and the number read out is not a multiple then I think it is not an overly large number of pours and can live with it. But paying $530 for 2640 pours is a second hand machine and not worth the price/risk ratio.

    So if I may just confirm 264 on the LED readout = 2640 pours greater than 7 secs?

    Thank you for your help.

  9. #5259
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    13,570
    The number displayed equals the number of shots divided by ten. So to get the total number of shots over 7 seconds you take the displayed number and multiply it by 10. So your displayed 264 does indeed mean there has been 2,640 shots over 7 seconds pulled on the machine.


    Java "Math, such a wonderful concept" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  10. #5260
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    The number displayed equals the number of shots divided by ten. So to get the total number of shots over 7 seconds you take the displayed number and multiply it by 10. So your displayed 264 does indeed mean there has been 2,640 shots over 7 seconds pulled on the machine.


    Java "Math, such a wonderful concept" phile
    Thank you for your reply. I will on that basis return the machine.

    Very disappointing to be deceived by a retailer. If they have serviced the machine they should therefore know its prior use.

    https://www.yelp.com.au/biz/breville...utlet-tingalpa

  11. #5261
    Senior Member LFM60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East Qld
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappist View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I will on that basis return the machine.

    Very disappointing to be deceived by a retailer. If they have serviced the machine they should therefore know its prior use.

    https://www.yelp.com.au/biz/breville...utlet-tingalpa
    Trappist, you could possibly print a copy of this post as evidence to bring with you.
    The yelp reviews suggest the staff might need some persuasion to do the right thing.

    PS. Welcome to CS.

  12. #5262
    Senior Member BalthazarG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    158
    Hi Trappist, and welcome to Coffee Snobs!

    I saw inside there was a printed sheet stating the machine was refurbished. Gave them a call asking if the machine was refurbished. The chap said no it hasn't been used. They have run about 10 test brews/pours to validate the machine is fit for sale. They have run about 10 test brews/pours to validate the machine is fit for sale.
    Is there a chance the chap was just ill-informed? Given there was an attachment with the machine clearly stating it was "refurbished", it seems pretty dunderheaded for him to lie about it. Then again, his common sense may not necessarily reflect our common sense.

    Now I'm not leaping to conclusions here, or accusing the retailer of being a half-brained goat. Perhaps what he meant to say/should have said was: "Yes it has been refurbished, but only due to being dinged by some careless lout on the way to our shop. Aside from that unfortunate little incident, the machine has no past history or pre-existing owner, and subsequently does not come with any tyre tread".

    If it turns out the machine did have a previous owner, then he clearly deceived you about everything, and needs a good spanking.

  13. #5263
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Aaah - the wonderful world of "plausible deniability": did he really say that, or did he mean something else entirely different, and why not, diametrically opposed to what he really said?

  14. #5264
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Hi Inertia8,

    That looks like one of the OPVs has taken one for the team - you may decide have them both replaced while you're there. Contact your service department and see if you can work out a deal.


    Also, the "Icky brown stuff" in the pipe - that's actually just old coffee - that is (if I recall correctly) the back-flush pipe which dumps the water into the tray after you've stopped the pull. A good clean *should* do the trick - but that pipe's an "out only" pipe, it doesn't dump it back anywhere but inside the water tray.

    For what it's worth - it looks quite clean inside.

  15. #5265
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39
    Just for laughs, I did a shot count tonight, 8300 shots > 7 sec.
    not bad for an 'appliance'

  16. #5266
    Senior Member LFM60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East Qld
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Just for laughs, I did a shot count tonight, 8300 shots > 7 sec.
    not bad for an 'appliance'
    Very good indeed. 👍🏻

  17. #5267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    138
    Any one know of a good repairer in the Newcastle / Maitland area? I bought my machine at Xmas 2011 and It has had a OP valve replaced once but now the temp which is set at 93 keeps flashing and it wont let me pull a shot. The whole machine seems to overheat

  18. #5268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney North Shore
    Posts
    1,286
    Hello all.

    My Breville BES900 Dual Boiler and Breville Smart Grinder are still giving me great service after more than 5 years. So many of the posts here are about the disasters people are having with their BDBs while the many machines that are going well are not reported on here.

    While the Italian made machines are only available in a few speciality shops such as the CoffeeSnobs Site Sponsors, Breville machines are available in discount stores in most large shopping centres. So there must be a lot of them sold.

    Mine was amongst the very first BDBs ever sold in Sydney The only trouble I have had that required repairs was a failed O ring after one year and that was fixed under warranty. Many of the early machines needed that fix.

    I treat all the water I use with a Brita Maxtra Jug and the in tank Breville filters.

    I ignore the clean me notice but backwash the group after each coffee session and backwash with espresso cleaning powder at least once a week. I recently replaced the group seal for the first time. I protect the seal by removing the group handle from the machine while it is turned off.

    I make about four coffees each day and about five times a year I cater for about a dozen friends. That is why I bought a dual boiler. I drink macchiatos, not coffee milkshakes.

    The shot counter shows that I have made 12,670 shots over 7 seconds. Not bad for a so called appliance machine.

    The tamper that comes with the machine gives a clear indication of the required depth of tamp. I find it important not to over dose.

    When I get the right coffee beans and the right grind dose and tamp, I can make coffee as good as from the best cafes and better than from many.

    No need for me to upgrade.

    Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 15th January 2017 at 07:29 PM.

  19. #5269
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1
    Hi All. First time using this so go easy on me!
    i have a breville dual boiler which is approx 4yrs old. Has worked well with no issues up until recently.
    My problem is that it now takes 11-12 secs to reach pre infusion and then only reaches a maximum of 4 bar pressure whilst pouring the shot.
    The beans are NOT stale and I have been using the same beans from the same supplier for over 12 months with no issues.
    The coffe still tastes ok so not sure if it's an issue with the gauge or something else. Any help us appreciated. Many thanks

  20. #5270
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    380
    Post a video

  21. #5271
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    Hey Miloolimm,

    I've had a similar one a few months ago - it was forever heating up - and then it wasn't stopping when it was reaching the temperature, it would go over quite often. It would also not sense when the temperature would go down below the limit, so I'd get a cold coffee.

    It turned out - it was a temperature sensor which had had it... Replaced it and it has been great ever since.

    I think it would be a similar thing in your case.

    Ino!~
    I've experienced something similar with erratic temperature displayed on the LCD display on heat up and going over temperature on heat up, steam coming out of hot water tap etc. I have also seen "Err1" displayed on heat up. Do you know if it was the NTC temperature sensor on the brew boiler that was the part that was replaced? I've read somewhere there is another sensor on the heater group head assembly, not sure how you can diagnose which sensor needs to be replaced, does anyone know?

  22. #5272
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    I am fairly sure it was on the boiler - and you're right about ERR1 ... I had forgotten about that. I had the sensor shown to me and it was corroded (even though the casing was supposed to be stainless-steel) to the point where water made contact with the internals of the sensor and that caused the erratic behaviour.

    I also recall vaguely that different sensors throw different errors - so the other sensor would throw ERR2 (for example) ... I can't recall where I read that either - so I'm not putting too much weight on it at this point.

  23. #5273
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeT View Post
    Hi All. First time using this so go easy on me!
    i have a breville dual boiler which is approx 4yrs old. Has worked well with no issues up until recently.
    My problem is that it now takes 11-12 secs to reach pre infusion and then only reaches a maximum of 4 bar pressure whilst pouring the shot.
    The beans are NOT stale and I have been using the same beans from the same supplier for over 12 months with no issues.
    The coffe still tastes ok so not sure if it's an issue with the gauge or something else. Any help us appreciated. Many thanks
    Was this a very sudden change, or more gradual? If you just run water through the group head, does less flow/volume appear to be delivered compared to what you remember when machine was newer?

    I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe above recently, with a machine that is ~5 years old. For me it was fixed by changing out the solenoid valve gasket. Upon close inspection of the old one it looked like there was a build up of scale around the openings that was decreasing water flow.

    There's some reasonable instructions for swapping out this part here: » BES900 replacing solenoid gasket Nic's Stuff, as described by CoffeeSnob member Nic.

    I ordered the part (Stock code: 10132396) from needapart.co.nz - NZD$27 delivered to Australia.

  24. #5274
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Just replaced the solenoid valve and gasket (2nd time) on a 900 (from when they first were released, have around 3000 shots). The first time I replaced it was because it was making a crazy noise (and I found the answer here). Now 1 year later not a noise but instead no water in head and no water from hot water tap. Steam is fine. So I replaced the solenoid and gasket. However it still doesn't work. Temp is correct (200).

    Hmm any ideas what no hot water and no water from head means ? Boiler is working (oh and tried backflush and the 4+4 flush breville maintenance method). I assume the unit only has a single pump (the solenoid pump), so what would stop that pumping water. I'll check water is getting to it.

    Edit: So couple of other things. If I turn off the machine and turn it back on I certainly hear the pump prime (sounds totally normal). When I say no hot water, there is no porta filter in, and no pressure. In the tubes running from the solenoid pump area to the boiler (the thinner whitish tubes) I can see bubbles getting shunted along when I press the shot button or open the hot water tap. When I either try to push any shot button or open the hot water valve then I hear an audible click and a very very quiet pumping like sound, but no water comes out. The water reservoir has been filled and emptied a few times. Our water is incredibly soft.
    Last edited by blahblab; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added more iinfo

  25. #5275
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Just got mine back from the service department. Cost just over $300. They replaced pump, opv, some orings/gaskets and took it apart to descale.

    I had considered repairing myself but have too many projects on the go.

  26. #5276
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    LukeT,

    Mine exhibited the symptom of slowly failing to get to pressure with longer pre-infusion times several years ago and it was the common issue with the disintegrated o-ring (can't remember which one).

    blahblab, this could also be your issue, water slowed to a trickle out of the group head, that said I don't believe the hot water outlet was affected but cannot recall.

  27. #5277
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    It would be great if I could even get a service manual, no one in my area services these unless bought from them and mine was brought in from out of province. I'm currently disassembling the water vibration pump, but nothing is jammed in there. So I'll reassemble and test it then refit it.

  28. #5278
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glebe NSW
    Posts
    76

    A Breville Dual Boiler story

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Hello all.

    My Breville BES900 Dual Boiler and Breville Smart Grinder are still giving me great service after more than 5 years. So many of the posts here are about the disasters people are having with their BDBs while the many machines that are going well are not reported on here.

    While the Italian made machines are only available in a few speciality shops such as the CoffeeSnobs Site Sponsors, Breville machines are available in discount stores in most large shopping centres. So there must be a lot of them sold.

    Mine was amongst the very first BDBs ever sold in Sydney The only trouble I have had that required repairs was a failed O ring after one year and that was fixed under warranty. Many of the early machines needed that fix.

    I treat all the water I use with a Brita Maxtra Jug and the in tank Breville filters.

    I ignore the clean me notice but backwash the group after each coffee session and backwash with espresso cleaning powder at least once a week. I recently replaced the group seal for the first time. I protect the seal by removing the group handle from the machine while it is turned off.

    I make about four coffees each day and about five times a year I cater for about a dozen friends. That is why I bought a dual boiler. I drink macchiatos, not coffee milkshakes.

    The shot counter shows that I have made 12,670 shots over 7 seconds. Not bad for a so called appliance machine.

    The tamper that comes with the machine gives a clear indication of the required depth of tamp. I find it important not to over dose.

    When I get the right coffee beans and the right grind dose and tamp, I can make coffee as good as from the best cafes and better than from many.

    No need for me to upgrade.

    Barry
    Hello everyone,

    I bought mine back in June 2012. I read the Coffeesnobs thread beforehand and decided it would be good idea to get the machine with an extended warranty. That made the guy at Harvey Norman very happy indeed. My experience is similar to Barry's in that I've been making coffee as good as from the best cafes and better than from most. My O rings were replaced under the factory 2 year warranty. The OPV failed and was also replaced under warranty. After four and a half years the OPV seemed to be failing again. This time I decided to go ahead and put an extended warranty claim knowing that I should get a replacement even for a minor fault.

    To cut the story short: after almost two weeks of patience and negotiations I got a BES920 as a replacement. It has not been a pleasant experience, though. It has been particularly annoying to deal with Harvey Norman people who wanted me to take an EM7000 as a replacement.

    I did not take the extended warranty again. I will consider my options when the new machine goes bust.

    I'll post my first impressions (positive) of the 920 in the appropriate thread soon.

    Best,

    Pablo
    Barry_Duncan and inorog like this.

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th April 2012, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •