Page 20 of 108 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 5357
Like Tree402Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Site Sponsor

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by 7E79737B7F69717E77100 link=1312978609/946#946 date=1322887529
    unfortunately the issue still exists for latest shipped units
    Actually it doesnt. coffeeqcs machine is not from the latest production. We have had at least 3 more production runs, that was the first for Canada & the last with any OPV issues.

What I find lacking, is the recognition of the amazing job the designers & engineers have done in bringing this new product to market, using boilers, not thermoblocks, low pressure pre-infusion thatas programmable, digital temperature control, temperature stability better than a GS3, yet the focus is on one part thats poorly calibrated. Not broken, not defective, just a calibration thats easily recified.

Cheers, Phil
    MerleApAmber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D232B2E2927283430400 link=1312978609/950#950 date=1322942540
    What I find lacking, is the recognition of the amazing job the designers & engineers have done in bringing this new product to market, using boilers, not thermoblocks, low pressure pre-infusion thatas programmable, digital temperature control, temperature stability better than a GS3, yet the focus is on one part thats poorly calibrated. Not broken, not defective, just a calibration thats easily recified.

Well said Phil* 8-)

No matter how much pre-market testing takes place there is usually some fault that appears after product release. As somebody rightly said "the best proofreading occurs after the book is published" :)

I think the relationship between Breville and Coffee Snobs has proven invaluable in getting this minor problem sorted so quickly.* Just imagine how long it would have taken in the normal market place* :(

Kudos to Breville and Phil especially.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 69676F6A6D636C7074040 link=1312978609/950#950 date=1322942540
    +1. I wonder what proportion of owners would be able to pick it blind from two great pours. Too often, the cup is half empty. :-?

Cheers, Phil[/QUOTE]
    Thats always the case when your in retail, only god knows how many times Ive said that about my own industry. People only focus on the bad issues which is a pity.
    How ever you guys make a top product and its sold at a fantastic price, BUT and its a biggy the real difference is how yourself and Breville should be commended for your after sales service.
    And for that I simple say THANK YOU .

p.s. did I mention the coffee it brews is just fantastic and my local Cafe thinks Ive moved interstate ? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 0E51495F545F535A5A5959515D523C0 link=1312978609/952#952 date=1322944618
    I wonder what proportion of owners would be able to pick it blind from two great pours.
    And this was part of the problem in the early release phase. Too many people belittling owners whod purchased a machine with a particular feature-set, and then when one of those features (that wed paid for) didnt seem to be functioning properly, we were told by some people around these parts that we shouldnt worry about it because it wasnt important.

That was particularly galling to me.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6A787471707E71757C60190 link=1312978609/954#954 date=1322958678
    And this was part of the problem in the early release phase
    Gday toasty. I think the fact is that some owners and observers have directed criticism towards one aspect of the machine and blamed any perceived problems with their coffee on this one aspect. Very frequently there appear to have been more significant process related problems resulting in poor output.

There are plenty of Silvias, Gaggias, Isomacs, Diademas, Expobars, early Giottos and Bezzera machines (just off the top of my head) running closer to 12 Bar extractions with very happy owners who are oblivious to the fact. Its not bellitlement, rather a statement of fact. None of these brands have copped such sustained criticism. Id think a goodly proportion of those here who own machines with no system pressure gauge are running well over 9 Bar. :-?

From what I can see, Breville have done their utmost to rectify any problems and have again been very quick to act. I have been impressed that a big company has been so proactive. I am sad that we have had to drop the range. :(

Quote Originally Posted by 786F6A6F2F2A190 link=1312978609/953#953 date=1322957113
    People only focus on the bad issues which is a pity.
    Agreed.

Phil wrote:

Hi Phil,

I do adore what Brevilles engineering had achieved in the DB machine and I dont think I am too critic to ask for a perfect machine. My point is just Breville needs to think customers are always picky and threats them as first priority, so any means that Breville can make the shipped product satisfactory at the first time are welcome.

As you knew, I live in Taiwan and my unit will not have any chance to get Brevilles service. But I still would like to taje the risk to buy one from US and shipped it to Taiwan. Honestly, this needs a bit of passion in loving a tech-savvy espresso machine to dpo so.

The OPV setting is actually very important for th taste. Users cannot know it unless they had brewed the coffee at the rigth pressure, extraction rate and temperature.

To pursue this ultimate taste, please forgive any pick user like me that just wants the product perfect as they think of.

Regards,

Nick OY

Quote Originally Posted by 323C34313638372B2F5F0 link=1312978609/950#950 date=1322942540
    With respect Phil this would be a pretty boring 20+ page thread if all anyone did was piss in the pockets of Breville designers and engineers about what a good job theyve done.

I think ALOT of people have already shown recognition to the designers and engineers by having purchased the machine, people are obviously disappointed that their machine has somehow managed to fail quality control and I cant think of a better place to express this than a coffee forum can you?

Hi All,

Yes, let us stop debating the BDB design. It is really a very strong and good design.

As for the OPV, after I adjusted it to 9.5 bar and the unit brews at 9 bar in correct flow rate and temperature, I can tell you all the taste is totally better than it was. Sincerely and from my heart, this is true. Everyone think 12bar OPV already gives a good tatste and blame me for too critic, he will regret after the OPV is adjusted to 9.x bar.

Thank

Nick OY

Roz

The only difference I found in correct adjustment was the mouthfeel of the espresso, my shots arent as thin and the taste is still great but I cant discern a difference in taste from when it was extracting at 11.5 to 9 / 9.5

All I have to do now is save my pennies for a kony... maybe one day. ;D

What was the latest on naked portafilters? early next year?

Roz wrote:
    The only difference I found in correct adjustment was the mouthfeel of the espresso, my shots arent as thin and the taste is still great but I cant discern a difference in taste from when it was extracting at 11.5 to 9 / 9.5

Hi Roz,

On my unit, after the adjustment the color of the crema and the taste of the pour are more alike what the "text book" of coffee or coffee guru describes. I just drink it up in several of mouths.

Thanks

Nick OY

Not that I want to keep it going but I feel that my previous comment might have played a part in the last few posts (meaning disappointed that machines just released in Canada on Nov. 25th were not yet right, independently of when they were made they are just being available now) but I will add my last comment on this.

As it was said, I bought the machine as a recognition of the great design at that price point. This recognition includes the fact that it has a 9 bar OPV, it is a feature, it is used as a selling point, it is written as a feature very well in view right on the box! So I am obviously just stating that I wished it was as advertised.

Will Breville do the right thing, most probably according to all previous posts, but I am a quadriplegic guy with just enough hand dexterity to use such a machine (steam lever is great for me on the BES900) but not enough to adjust the OPV myself and it will also be quite a hassle for me to either bring it in a service centre or send it back. I know my condition is not the problem of Breville, just saying why I am a bit disappointed, thats all.

I am still very thankful to Phil for his help here and his involvement in trying to make our experience as good as it can get with the machine.

Cheers to all from Canada! :)

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 505A475A49565D6C405E5A475B330 link=1312978609/957#957 date=1322969230
    I cant think of a better place to express this than a coffee forum can you?
    Yes, in the thread right here dedicated to the OPV issues!

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 444A4247404E415D59290 link=1312978609/962#962 date=1322980685
    Quote Originally Posted by 505A475A49565D6C405E5A475B330 link=1312978609/957#957 date=1322969230

Cheers, Phil
    Point taken.

Perhaps a Breville designer and Engineer appreciation thread separate to this one should be started as well.

Just an idea* ;)

I love my BES900, more than any other appliance in my kitchen. The toaster sits there and makes bread go brown and hot. The kettle takes water from 20C to 100C. The blender takes things back to their original form. My BES900 kick-starts my day and is a true joy to use.

I was talking with my wife the other day about the criteria that I use for judging whether something that I own is truly essential to me. The criteria that I use is that I ask myself: if the <item> got stolen tomorrow, would I go out and buy it again without any thought or consideration?

There are plenty of things/gadgets/stuff that I possess that the answer would be a NO. The BES900 is not one of those things. If it got stolen tomorrow id be at the shop at opening-time to replace it.

Hi all. Just thought Id update my experience with BDB so far.

I have to say, I am not happy up to this point.

I know this may seem trivial but I am still unable to achieve that lovely honey-like consistency as seen in Phils videos with my extractions. Every shot I pull is thin and watery. I will take you through my routine, in the hope someone may be able to pinpoint my problem.

Ill start with the Smart-Grinder. I have used freshly roasted beans (from several sources). I am using the supplied double basket (single floor) with approximately 19/20g of coffee, as measured with a set of digital scales.

Im using a spring-loaded "Eazytamp" tamper, set to 15kg to give me consistent tamping pressure. I get roughly a 30 second extraction with 9/10 bar pressure on the gauge.

So, my beans are fresh, my grind is good, my dosing is spot-on, my tamping is consistent and extraction times are in the ball-park. Still, all I see is this watery liquid emanating from the spouts!

But how does the coffee taste, I hear you say. Well it tastes OK, I guess. But it just doesnt look any good. In fact, the extractions from my old 6910 were a lot more impressive!

Id gladly appreciate any constructive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 51455259545F524E0202370 link=1312978609/965#965 date=1322997014
    Im using a spring-loaded "Eazytamp" tamper, set to 15kg to give me consistent tamping pressure. I get roughly a 30 second extraction with 9/10 bar pressure on the gauge.
    No mention of volume? I am guessing you are getting the 60ml in the 30 seconds with the double basket?

Hi saoye. Sorry, yes 60ml in 30 seconds is the volume I aim for (and generally achieve).

Any channeling in the puck? how does the shot look in the cup? how much crema? can you add a photo? how fresh is freshly roasted? Plenty of questions but gathering facts will lead to a solution usually. :)

BluMeanie wrote:
    Every shot I pull is thin and watery.

Hi BluMeanie,

I guess your machines OPV is set too high so that if you would like to pour at 9/10 bar the grind size must be very coarse and therefore the flow rate is fast and coffee is watery if you extract it 30 secs.

You can grind finer and check the gauge reading. I believe it will be above 12 bar and the flow rate should be very slow.

Thanks

Nick OY

Hey Nick OY,

To quote someone highlight the part of their post you want to quote and then click the "Mark & Quote" button in the header of their post and the highlighted text will appear in the posting area at the bottom of the page pre-tagged as a quote where you can then type in your response following it.
    :)

Java "Point and click" phile

Quote Originally Posted by 4C677067766E6F6A63060 link=1312978609/970#970 date=1323002860
    To quote someone highlight the part of their post you want to quote and then click the "Mark & Quote" button in the header of their post and the highlighted text will appear in the posting area at the bottom of the page pre-tagged as a quote where you can then type in your response following it.Java "Point and click" phile
    Hi javaphile,

Thanks.

Nick OY

If I ignore the gauge and grind finer then the extraction time is extended beyond the 30sec mark (the gauge will show 11/12 bars).
    Now I dont mind anything up to 45 seconds but beyond that is not acceptable and the shots are still watery.

Quote Originally Posted by 37393134333D322E2A5A0 link=1312978609/962#962 date=1322980685

Cheers, Phil
    Indeed, sorry, I am new here and got to that discussion first.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E6A7D767B707D612D2D180 link=1312978609/972#972 date=1323028513
    If I ignore the gauge and grind finer then the extraction time is extended beyond the 30sec mark (the gauge will show 11/12 bars).
    Now I dont mind anything up to 45 seconds but beyond that is not acceptable and the shots are still watery.
    If I was you I would use only 18 g grinding finer until getting the results expected.

I will try this and see what happens. Ill report back shortly.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 61756269646F627E3232070 link=1312978609/975#975 date=1323036582
    I will try this and see what happens. Ill report back shortly
    Bring up the shot clock on the LCD. Now tell me how many seconds are on the LCD when you see the first drops espresso

If espresso drops before 11secs & you have 19g, then the grind is too coarse.

If you have the correct grind size, then you will have ~19g packed in the basket with 15kg of pressure & the top of the packed coffee sits about 6mm from the top of the coffee basket. Use the cap on the tamper as a guide.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 2531262D202B263A7676430 link=1312978609/972#972 date=1323028513
    Hi,

If there is no OPV inserted between the vibe pump and the brew boiler, the vibe will pump the water pressure up to its maximum, which is around 15 ~ 17 bar when the resistance from the coffee puck is strong enough or using a blind filter.

If the OPV exists and is set to a value, lets say 12 bar, the vibe pump will be regulated at 12 bar when the resistance from the coffee puck is strong enough or uisng a blind filter. When the resistance of the coffee puck is too weak to block the water pressure at 12 bar, the pressure inside of the group head will reach a balanced pressure lower than 12 bar. Under this condition, the flow rate should be high because the coffee puck is more porous to allow hot water pass though with less resistance. This weak balanced pressure is caused by coarse grinding and/or light tamping force even the amount of dose is correct. If you over-dose with coarse grinding and heavily tamp it, the pressure may go up to 12 bar as the resistance from the coffee puck gets stronger again.

As I explained above, the vibe pump will be stably regulated at the pressure set by the OPV as long as the resistance from the coffe puck is strong enough. Since the coffee extraction gets the best taste at 9 bar with correct flow rate and temperature, the setting of the OPV should maintain the surface pressure of the coffee puck to 9 bar and should be set a little bit higher than 9 bar, such as 9.5 bar ~ 10 bar.

My conclusion is the setting of the OPV definitely plays very important role to affect the taste and flavor of the extracted coffee. Any comments on extremely high OPV setiing can still get good taste as the setting at 9 bar is just to disguise the importance of correct OPV setting. The OPV is widely found in many espresso machines, including the well known Silvia. Every espresso machines should have OPV which should always be set to a propriate value a little bit larger than 9 bar to ensure extraction pressure inside the group head is at 9 bar.

Regards,

Nick OY

ROE

Just bought BCG-800 and BES900 combo ..havent got time to open it up still in the box any tips on using it? Grind size, shot clock etc...

I mainly drink flat white and cuppa with rare occasion espresso when I need the caffeine shock

Last time I have one of these was cafe roma one and it broke a while ago :-)

Cangrats and welcome.

Have a look at the Breville youtube videos by Phil, its explained quite well. And have a read of this thread, lots of tips etc.

Doesnt really matter what sort of coffee you drink, the base is same, espresso shot.

Also, make sure you use fresh beans with the unpresurised basket.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 405D57120 link=1312978609/978#978 date=1323058994
    Just bought BCG-800 and BES900 combo ..havent got time to open it up still in the box any tips on using it? Grind size, shot clock etc...

I mainly drink flat white and cuppa with rare occasion espresso when I need the caffeine shock

Set up is pretty easy, make sure you have FRESH coffee
    beans. You will have a little trial and error when you start getting grind and dose right etc.

Check the videos Phill from Breville has posted on YouTube for more tips.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 48464E4B4C424D5155250 link=1312978609/976#976 date=1323046089
    Bring up the shot clock on the LCD. Now tell me how many seconds are on the LCD when you see the first drops espresso

If espresso drops before 11secs & you have 19g, then the grind is too coarse.
    The espresso starts dropping at the 10 second mark with the total time for extraction being around 35 seconds.
    This is with 18/19g of coffee in the basket, tamping at 15kg with the tamped level 6mm from the rim of the basket.

Brought home some CHIASSA beans this morning, roasted just last week. The pour this time was a little better but still nothing like your videos, Phil.

I will try to upload a video of a shot this evening when I get home from work.

ROE

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3C30322A3E580 link=1312978609/980#980 date=1323060131

beans. You will have a little trial and error when you start getting grind and dose right etc.

Enjoy!

thanks will check it out and play with it ... I like good coffee and hope I can pull a decent one with this machine :-)

Bugger me , my coffee poltergeist is back ! The machine is level, the shower screen is clean and if it was the way I was tampering it would have happened also on my past machines, my coffee beans are fresh etc , etc
    I know Ive asked this before but Im still having trouble with my PF (Ive taken out the plastic insert) spouts during a brew. Not only is the left hand spout pourIing more in volume but now the coffee coming out of the left spout has a darker color and different more intense creme than the one on the right.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ROE

Quote Originally Posted by 01060A081004620 link=1312978609/980#980 date=1323060131

Enjoy!
    Took me around 7 tries to get the right grind size and flow rate ok, maybe I can do a bit better but first few shot was terrible ..too fast or too slow :-)

About the machine temp, what do you set to or leave it at 93 degree?

Not a bad machine, I enjoy using it and experiment though I am not an expert :)

OK, as promised, I have uploaded an extraction video to YouTube. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpGIu5y7f0

As I stated previously, these beans were purchased this morning. They were roasted only last week.
    Approx 18/19g in the basket with a 15kg tamp.
    The pour on this occasion doesnt seem too bad, but I would certainly appreciate any comments from fellow snobs.

ROE

The BES900 comes with the 2 shoot Portafilter what if I want just one shoot? That is a lot of coffee sometimes and sometimes its too strong for me...

Do I need to buy a one short Portafilter?
    Where do I get one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by 0511060D000B061A5656630 link=1312978609/985#985 date=1323082642
    As I stated previously, these beans were purchased this morning. They were roasted only last week.Approx 18/19g in the basket with a 15kg tamp.The pour on this occasion doesnt seem too bad, but I would certainly appreciate any comments from fellow snobs.
    Hi,

It appears to me that tampering is still not to hard enough or the grind size is still coarse because the flow rate was still pretty fast. The gauge reading was fixed at 10 bar. I think if you grind finer or tamper harder,the gauge reading can go up to 11 or 12 bar.

Thanks

Nick OY

The crema dissipated pretty quickly. how did they taste?

Quote Originally Posted by 6A6D676F6B7D656A63040 link=1312978609/987#987 date=1323094330
    The gauge reading was fixed at 10 bar. I think if you grind finer or tamper harder,the gauge reading can go up to 11 or 12 bar.
    I had another go this morning, tamping beyond the 15kg pressure point with my "Eazytamp" tamper. The gauge, indeed, ramped up to 11 bar with 42 seconds on the clock.
    Unfortunately, again, the resulting extraction was watery.
    The coffee tastes OK, no real complaints there. But still.....

Im off to work now but Ill keep an eye on this thread throughout the day. Thanks for everybodys input.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C7B7E7B3B3E0D0 link=1312978609/983#983 date=1323079868
    Not only is the left hand spout pourIing more in volume but now the coffee coming out of the left spout has a darker color and different more intense creme than the one on the right.
    Does this issue occur every time you pull a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 3C283F3439323F236F6F5A0 link=1312978609/989#989 date=1323113730
    I had another go this morning, tamping beyond the 15kg pressure point with my "Eazytamp" tamper. The gauge, indeed, ramped up to 11 bar with 42 seconds on the clock.
    Just saw your video and it looks like your pour started at around 8-9 seconds. According to Phil it should start between 11-14 seconds.

Are you able to make your grind finer?

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6470676C616A677B3737020 link=1312978609/989#989 date=1323113730
    The coffee tastes OK, no real complaints there. But still.....

Im off to work now but Ill keep an eye on this thread throughout the day. Thanks for everybodys input.
    From what I could see, the dose is too high & the extraction starts too early. You need to grind finer & lower the dose. If the coffee is less than a week out of roast, you need to leave room for it to expand up against the dispersion screen. The older the coffee the higher you can dose withouot affecting the taste.

Cheers, Phil

OK, Phil, I will heed your advice but It will have to wait untill I get home from work this evening. Cant wait! Thanks.

The extraction has actually started before the preinfusion ends from what I can tell. You can hear the pump just change from preinfusion to full pump as the shot clock hits 7 secs and then the camera pans down to the cups right at that instant and it is already pouring and there is already some in the cups.

As Phil states, the pour should start much later - definitely not whilst the preinfusion is still happening, and not until quite some time after the pump has gone up to full pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by 706D67220 link=1312978609/986#986 date=1323084474
    The BES900 comes with the 2 shoot Portafilter what if I want just one shoot? That is a lot of coffee sometimes and sometimes its too strong for me...

Do I need to buy a one short Portafilter?
    Where do I get one of those?
    Put your cup in the middle, under both spouts
    OR
    Pull two shots into two cups - give the extra to someone else/make ice-cream with it/make an iced coffee mixture with it/use it in cooking/do what you want with it including throw it down the sink if you want.

How are you expecting one spout to be different from two spouts, in the cup? :-?

Here is one of my latest shots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6Bb52hVzY

Quote Originally Posted by 475C554451475C5D52405146340 link=1312978609/996#996 date=1323145338
    Hi shapeshifter,

The shot looks pretty good. What was the gauge reading when the pressure came up and get stable?

Thanks

Nick OY

Quote Originally Posted by 39343D3A22263627530 link=1312978609/961#961 date=1322975822
    not enough to adjust the OPV myself and it will also be quite a hassle for me to either bring it in a service centre or send it back.
    Hi coffeeqc.

Im in Montreal too, and happy to shlep your machine to a service centre, or bring over some tools and we could have a go at the ol OPV if youd prefer.

My username here contains my first and last names and Im in both the phone book and the google, too.

(Sorry all for not PMing, but the system wouldnt let me, as this is my first post here.)

- Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by 595E545C584E565950370 link=1312978609/997#997 date=1323146591
    Quote Originally Posted by 475C554451475C5D52405146340 link=1312978609/996#996 date=1323145338
    Hi shapeshifter,

The shot looks pretty good. What was the gauge reading when the pressure came up and get stable?

Thanks

Nick OY

Nick it was sitting on 9 bar, give or take a little flutter. I have my OPV set to 10 bar.

Page 20 of 108 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast