Page 28 of 108 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 5364
Like Tree405Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Resetting wont reset the shot volume. You can use the menu to correctly set the shot volume.

Quote Originally Posted by 5075627D7043252D2224140 link=1312978609/1350#1350 date=1328410052
    Resetting wont reset the shot volume. You can use the menu to correctly set the shot volume.
    Does that mean I have to do it manually through the menu ie there is no 30ml / 60ml preset?

There is a 30ml and 60 ml preset - the one and two cup buttons - but if you arent getting the right quantities with those buttons you can use the menu function to define the quantity for each button and the machine will store and remember it.

Press the Menu button - you should see 1Cup flashing. Press the 1 cup button - press it again when the desired volume is extracted. You will hear a double beep which means it is stored. Press the menu button again till you see 2Cup flashing. Press 2 cup button and press it again to stop and store volume. (You have to have a shot loaded of course)

Victor_Cobb

Faulty BES900.

I purchased a BES900/BCG800 2 weeks ago (BCG800 on back order with Breville NZ till 9th Feb, as cant keep up with supply) So I have been using espresso grind from local coffee shop.
    Problem started yesterday with the boiler continually boiling and filling the bottom tray (15-20min 50% full) :-[
    I have tried a reset (in case I had caused the issue with my fingers* :-/).
    I suspect I will need to take it to Breville for service unless Phil or one of the team at CS has a suggestion I can try ;).
    I can strip and rebuild most things electrical or mechanical but have learned over 50years it ALWAYS pays to ask first or read the manual (no help with FAQ in the book :-/) and with it have a 2 year warranty, I dont want to risk this.
    Any & all suggestions gratefully accepted.
    (I purchased my BES900 as a result of the positive feedback from CS members, so thanks one and all for feeding my addiction ;D as I moved from an 800 thermoblock to a dual boiler)
    As its a public holiday in NZ today, I cant get any local support till tomorrow.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1F3A2D323F0C6A626D6B5B0 link=1312978609/1352#1352 date=1328414851
    There is a 30ml and 60 ml preset - the one and two cup buttons - but if you arent getting the right quantities with those buttons you can use the menu function to define the quantity for each button and the machine will store and remember it.

Press the Menu button - you should see 1Cup flashing. Press the 1 cup button - press it again when the desired volume is extracted. You will hear a double beep which means it is stored. Press the menu button again till you see 2Cup flashing. Press 2 cup button and press it again to stop and store volume. (You have to have a shot loaded of course)
    Not only do you have to set the volumes while you are extracting espresso, but the espresso needs to be flowing at the same or similar rate to that of your normal extractions. Faster or slower will yield differing volumes....

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 7E414B5C475A776B474A4A280 link=1312978609/1353#1353 date=1328469982
    Problem started yesterday with the boiler continually boiling and filling the bottom tray
    What does the temp read on the LCD?? Do you have a "blind filter"

Cheers, Phil

Victor_Cobb

93 on LCD and I have reverse flushed as per your video.

It appears to be boiling continuously off the shot boiler (activate steam wand appears to make no difference)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by 56585055525C534F4B3B0 link=1312978609/1354#1354 date=1328478034
    Not only do you have to set the volumes while you are extracting espresso, but the espresso needs to be flowing at the same or similar rate to that of your normal extractions. Faster or slower will yield differing volumes....

Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil

I live in far North Qld and am having trouble with the humidity and consistency of my extractions - so could it be the extreme humidity that is doubling my shot volumes given what you say above. The change from 30/60 to 60/120 is just so huge.

Thanks again Phil.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6B545E49524F627E525F5F3D0 link=1312978609/1356#1356 date=1328478921
    Thank you in advance for your assistance
    pm me a contact number & Ill try & call you today. Make sure yu have the machine on & up to temp...

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 4D726F697A746F711D0 link=1312978609/1357#1357 date=1328483569
    from 30/60 to 60/120
    Yes that humidity would affect things a lot, but not to that degree. Just re-programm them or, do as most experienced users do & use the manul button to control shot volume.

Cheers, Phil

Victor_Cobb

Outstanding Service

As requested, I advised Phil my home number and he rang me in NZ to diagnose a simple solution.

It is very rare in this day and age have such a rapid response (15 minutes), from any service personal, let alone one of the design team ;D

5 star support for* a 5 star product ::)

Glad you sorted that one out Automan. What was the cause/solution in the end?

I picked up the dual boiler yesterday. Hopefully Ive got a later version where the OPV has been properly set. Ill give it a whirl on the weekend.

I have noticed even when my machine is in standby that it gurgles from time to time - I think the manual says it will do that. It is also very hot to the touch - the warming tray and the front of the machine - I assume this is normal?

Is there any reason not to leave the machine on all day? (apart from the power usage) I know with my old Saeco I was told to turn it off as leaving it on was the reason I went through a few boilers in it - but I am getting the sense that I should leave the Breville on and only switch it off at night?

I also sense the mild rebuke that I should not use the preset volume 1 and 2 cup buttons but should use the manual extraction.... Message received and understood! I had a laugh. Thanks for the advice Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by 282F252D293F272821460 link=1312978609/1297#1297 date=1327398748
    Hi Phil,

I just tried the way you recommended and found that the pressure guage reading is fixed at 9 bar (with a blind filter) but I did calibrated the OPV at 9.5 bar with the blind filter.

Does this mean the OPVs spring force has been decayed?
    I found recent shots were hard to reach 9 bar as the manner after newly calibrated OPV.

Thanks

Nick
    Hi All,

As I noticed the gauge reading was changed and reduced since I calibrated and adjusted the OPV to 9.5 bar with a blind filter.

Today I opened up my unit and found the metal hose clamp had slid away from its original location so the hose connection to the OPV was actual loosened in some way. This explained my units brew pressure went down to 8 ~ 8.5 bar.
    I believed the cause should be the vibe pump vibrations so I fixed it with a cable tie to fasten the hose with the OPV outlet and then move back the clamp to the location it was.

This time I found the hose tightly fastened the OPV and not possible to turn the hose with a pair of pilers.
    Then I re-adjusted the OPV from 9.5 bar to 9.75 bar and pulled one shot to verify the setting. Very interesting, the gauge needle fluttering issue was gone and the flow rate was increased to 30 ml in 15 secs.

This phenomeno looks same as shape_shifters brass OPV change and I must grind the beans finer to have the normal flow rate. After few test shots with finer ground, I found the best grinding size and the flavor of the extraction had been further improved. Amazingly the taste has some kind of chocolate flavor that I had never experiened.

By the way, I found the BDB does have two flowmeters. One is connected to the steam boiler and another is connected to the brew boiler. So the shot buttons for 1-cup and 2-cup could be real volumetric but not time based measures.

Regards,

Nick OY

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 3F38323A3E28303F36510 link=1312978609/1363#1363 date=1328594140
    By the way, I found the BDB does have two flowmeters. One is connected to the steam boiler and another is connected to the brew boiler. So the shot buttons for 1-cup and 2-cup could be real volumetric but not time based measures.
    Yes it does have 2 flow meters, but neither is connected to the steam boiler. One is connected to the inlet of the OPV & the other is connected to the low pressure outlet of the OPV. Software calculates the difference between inlet & outlet and the balance is shot volume.

Cheers, Phil

Unpacked and played around with the BDB this morning. My initial thoughts:

Machine Ė very innovative and Iíll get over the fact it has plastic knobs. I found it interesting to see that the portafilter was able fit into an e61 group head, but not the other way round :(

Espresso Ė no complaints. I still need to familiarise myself with the pre-infusion and the varying pump noise. I am glad itís not as loud as the Sunbeam 6910! I made two decent shots that showed 10bar on the gauge. I was using self roasted beans and a mazzer mini.

Steam Ė great resultsÖ although lacking that grunt Iím more use to.

I also took note of the gauge for anyone that is interested:
    Approx 7 bar using the Breville pressurised basket (2 cup)
    Approx 7.5 bar using the Sunbeam equivalent
    I didnít have a blind filter handy so wasnít able to see where the OPV is set.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E3D282E242C213D2C23393E4D0 link=1312978609/1365#1365 date=1328656751
    Machine Ė very innovative and Iíll get over the fact it has plastic knobs. I found it interesting to see that the portafilter was able fit into an e61 group head, but not the other way round

My Giotto Premium Plus has plastic knobs, they seem to work 8-)

My car fits in my garage, but my garage doesnt fit in my car, does that help explain the group handle situation that is confusing you? ;D

I agree - steam works well and the plastic paddle doesnt affect the steam in anyway, but breville did go to the effort of putting metallic paint on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F293E352F2830325B0 link=1312978609/1366#1366 date=1328656984
    My car fits in my garage, but my garage doesnt fit in my car, does that help explain the group handle situation that is confusing you?
    It all makes sense now ;)

Sorry, what I was trying to say is Ive got a naked e61 handle and a little part of me was hoping it would fit the breville but it wasnt the case.

am picking my bes900 up tomorrow ordered on the 19/12 has been a long wait hope it is worth the wait also can the boilers be emptied if the machine is not used for a while while on holidays etc i look forward to play with it just my luck i get it and i have to go away for the weekend it will be an interesting journey in to coffee

Are people using ridged or ridge less VST? 15 or 18g?

We just grabbed a BDB and smart grinder for use at work between a few of us. Id never seen one of these in the flesh before (but recommended another person at work look at one based on this site). Its a nice machine, and incredibly easy to use.

I reckon well see a ROI in a rather short period of time, Im still tripping about the price (non sponsor so not mentioned) but picked up the pair and knock box for less than RRP of the BDB. Bargain!

Now the education as to why we need to buy freshly roasted beans and no pre-ground is not acceptable to "save" money. The cost of a coffee has gone from $3.3-4.3 to $1-2, quality and consistency is improved and you want to save a few more cents losing excellent flavours. Grrrr

The next set of wooden handles and tamper have been made, luckily they are mine, I absolutely LOVE them.

The wood is Purple Heart, if anyone has seen this wood in real life youll understand how much I love this :)

A huge thanks to Phil for making life easier for the maker of these as well* :)

Ill have more photos and some in the making photos as well on my blog later on.

Roz

Hmm I must get on board on these wood handles, maybe get my naked changed!

They look great and no doubt feel better!

I received our BDB on Wednesday and the Smart Grinder on Friday.
    There in no question I have to increase our coffee budget.
    We will be over caffeinated in short order.
    Fantastic espresso machine.
    Grinder requires the shim kit and as usual the Canadian distributor is less than cooperative on with either the naked portafilters or the shim kits.
    Canadian Distributors wonder why we buy from the US it is because the US gives service the Canadian Distributors talk about service.

just picked up my bes900 and unpacked i take it the plastic piece in the bottom of the portafilter i should take out and what is the bast way a screwdriver ? i appreciate any advice i am new at this thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7E786F616F783F330A0 link=1312978609/1374#1374 date=1328916214
    what is the bast way
    Welcome to the club, Trekker.

I used a screwdriver shaft throught the spout to unscrew it. Then* a couple of screwdrivers to push the plastic gadget out. Others have used a cork screw without removing the spout.

Enjoy it.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 092C3B24291A7C747B7D4D0 link=1312978609/1369#1369 date=1328828098
    Are people using ridged or ridge less VST? 15 or 18g?
    Definitely ridgeless, unless you dont want to remove it often.* The Breville baskets are ridgeless, and the spring will hold a ridged basket very firmly.*

Andrew

Thanks. Yeah I worked out the Breville baskets were ridge less.

Pandani

Hello, All,
    I placed my first post (below) on 27th January, 2012, and have only now realised that it would have been more appropriately placed here.

"Hi, CS all. I am brand new CS member, having lurked here as visitor for a while gathering info. Unpacked my new BES900 yesterday, brewed this morning, not good.*
    Old grinder, SB EM0430, definitely not up to job, in addition to which I can see that I have a way to go to learn to drive this thing. Also, need to pay attention to selection and sourcing of beans.* Looking forward to happy times ahead."

Previous machine was Breville ESP8, so I am dealing with a whole new process in the BES900.

My choice of BSB was not a brand-loyalty thing ó I had decided on a Silvia plus Rocky, but further research led me to the opinion that the features of the BSB and the thorough development work that went into it justified the additional purchase price.

As stated by others, the dose quantity and tamping technique makes a dramatic difference to the results.

Having made a degree progress in the dosing and tamping, I have achieved some results approximating to a coffee that I would approve of from a cafe.

I do need to juggle shot times manually, though, as I cant get consistency in automatic mode.

Anyhow, am booked for an instruction session with site sponsors, the Di Bella Coffee people, where I will buy my next run of beans and some other acessories that I will surely need.

Thanks for great info gleaned from your posts above.

Pandani

Correction to post 5 mins. ago: In para 4, "BSB" should be "BDB".

CDJansen60

Hello All

Another new member here. I have waited to join until I finallly got my BDB, which happened last Thursday after waiting since I placed my order early last November. Its been a tough few months without a coffee machine.

Previously I had a KitchenAid Artisan which died in mid October. It was ok but now I know what a good machine is capable of. Thanks to finding this site and reading the various threads I have found the right machine for me.

Set up the new beast over the weekend and started experimenting. A have a Baratza Preciso grinder and seem to now have nearly the right grind.

The OPV on my BDB seems ot be fine. Pulling a shot I get a tad over 9 bar, just where I want it. First drops are around 10 seconds with extraction finishing at about 28 seconds (a little bit quick but not bad.) The coffe is far superior to anything I ever made on my old machine.

The plastic liner thingy is still being installed in the PF and I know I can pull it out. But is there a good reason to do so? Does the coffee improve without it?

Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me make the right descision in getting the BDB.* :)

hi!!!

had my 900 for a couple of weeks now...oooohhh bebe!!!

coupleof queries:

does everybody agree to rip the plastic insert from the PF? I find it traps water, only to spill it on the floor/grinder after pre-flushing the PF to heat it.

why did Breville spend money to fit it? if it is only for people not pre-heating the PF, those who do so dont need it?

what is the best way to remove it?

thanx for any assistance!

joe

The easiest way to remove the plastic thingy is with a large corkscrew. It is not doing anything useful and is possibly unsanitary as you cant clean under it.

Metatron - could you please clarify the use of the corkscrew? Just put pointy end in the hole from the top of the PF and twist? TIA.

Two ways to remove the plastic thing that has worked for me.

The first way is to unscrew the spout and unclip the plastic insert. This method worked well for my dads BDB.

Sometimes this isnt possible (which was the case for my BDB). I was careful and making an effort not to scratch the portafilter; I found prying it out with a screwdriver quite difficult.

I ended up getting a blow torch to soften the plastic insert and using a screwdriver to lift and bend the plastic. Once this was done, I simply pulled off the plastic using pliers.

Yes, put the pointy end in the hole from the PF side. You want to use a large, strong corkscrew. Essentially it will grab on to the plastic and you pull it out. It will probably break the plastic as it comes out. It took a couple of minutes but was pretty simple. I think it is easier than unscrewing the spout.

HELP!!!

Alright, this is really embarrassing...

I finally receivedmy Breville and just set it up. So far so good. But when I put the filter basket insidethe portafilter,I had to use alot of strenght. Inside the portafilter was a piece of wire, like a circlip. So I took that out and inserted the filter basket again. Was that right? How do I hold onto my filterbasket when I want to empty it? Or should I put the wire thing back in (which I tried) but then the filter basket is so tight, I dont know how to get it out again.

My second problem is, for the life of my, I cant lock the portafilter into the machine. >:( Either Im just too stupid or Im doing something completly wrong. It just wont hold. Can anybody help me please???

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 002C2A2E212E3A3C3C264F0 link=1312978609/1386#1386 date=1329295805
    HELP!!!

Alright, this is really embarrassing...

I finally receivedmy Breville and just set it up. So far so good. But when I put the filter basket insidethe portafilter,I had to use alot of strenght. Inside the portafilter was a piece of wire, like a circlip. So I took that out and inserted the filter basket again. Was that right? How do I hold onto my filterbasket when I want to empty it? Or should I put the wire thing back in (which I tried) but then the filter basket is so tight, I dont know how to get it out again.

My second problem is, for the life of my, I cant lock the portafilter into the machine.* >:( Either Im just too stupid or Im doing something completly wrong. It just wont hold. Can anybody help me please???

Thank you!
    It is normal & Yes leave the spring in
    It holds the basket firmly into the group handle
    Just press the filter basket with the palm of your hand all the way until it clicks in

To fit the handle into the machine do a visual, look at the lug position usually to the left and marry them up
    To lock turn to the right

KK

Thanks for the quick reply. Ive tried it in empty mode and that locked in, so I think I might have overfilled the basket. However, the only way to get the basket out while the spring is in is with help of a knife. Is there any better tricks.

BUT I just poured my first macchiato and its marvellous!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5F7375717E7165636379100 link=1312978609/1388#1388 date=1329297374
    Thanks for the quick reply. Ive tried it in empty mode and that locked in, so I think I might have overfilled the basket. However, the only way to get the basket out while the spring is in is with help of a knife. Is there any better tricks.

BUT I just poured my first macchiato and its marvellous!!! :)
    The only time I remove the filter basket is when I need to clean it with chemical
    A rinse after every use will normally keep it clean until a chemical clean is required*
    And yes it does take some force to remove ! believe it or not they make a special tool to remove it* :o

You need to find the correct depth to tamp
    This depth is just before the coffee puck touches the screen inside the head when locked in*
    It may require you to tamp 4,5,6 mm deep
    A bit of trial and error is whats needed

Ahhh! Thanks for that,I didnt know. 4 coffees and I gotta get up at 4.30 am... :D

I remove it every time I make a coffee because it does seem to have coffee under it and I just like to wash it out. I dont have any problem removing it with my fingers though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1C3831313232081C38243A38570 link=1312978609/1389#1389 date=1329297891
    You need to find the correct depth to tamp
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

From page 24 of the BES900 instruction book:

"As a guided to the dose, the top edge of the metal cap on the tamper should be level with the top of the filter basket after the coffee has been tamped."

Welcome to the club Oceanaussi.

It is time for a macchiato.

Barry.

Thanks for all your help! I guess I just have to experiment a bit. Made a really nice cappucchino this morning. Also, not sure about the froth. Normally my milk always doubled in size when I froth milk but this morning it didnt. It heated up and became a little frothy but not as much as Im used to. Am I doing something wrong? :-[

Probably :)

Make sure you just pull the wand out of the milk so it sits on/just below the surface - you will hear a nice hissing noise.

Unlike other coffee makers, it doesnt add water to increase the volume and if you bury the wand it will heat the milk as you saw. If you let it hiss just on/above/below the surface you will get great foam with no problems and it will double in size or more. Make sure you tap and swirl the jug after foaming before pouring and you will get as good a result or better than any coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 04282E2A252A3E3838224B0 link=1312978609/1393#1393 date=1329346529
    not sure about the froth.
    If you put frothing, texturing or milk into quick search near the top of this page, you will find heaps of advice at this site.

One tip is that the deeper you put the steam tip into the milk the less air you get in and the finer the froth bubbles and less volume.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 2B242A383C2025252C27490 link=1312978609/34#34 date=1313451977
    d BCG800 with 500g of chris shed shandy beans.

My question is i have been pullin a few shots and i have been having the coffee cake getting stuck to the shower screen when i remove the PF.
    this seems to be a common problem with the tapered basket.

i found if i turn the pf handle slightly to the left and then press the 2cup button twice about a second apart, it deposits the used coffee neatly every time!!!

and it drops into the knock box with hardly a knock...

Quote Originally Posted by 27322D37440 link=1312978609/1396#1396 date=1329349106
    and it drops into the knock box with hardly a knock...
    Works for me too on the rare occasions it gets stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by 45607768655630383731010 link=1312978609/1394#1394 date=1329348350
    Probably :)

Make sure you just pull the wand out of the milk so it sits on/just below the surface - you will hear a nice hissing noise.

Unlike other coffee makers, it doesnt add water to increase the volume and if you bury the wand it will heat the milk as you saw. If you let it hiss just on/above/below the surface you will get great foam with no problems and it will double in size or more. Make sure you tap and swirl the jug after foaming before pouring and you will get as good a result or better than any coffee shop.
    Ok, now I know what Ive been doing wrong. ;) And I only have to wait 7 more hours to try it out. Thanks for your help!

Thanks Barryd, I understand and I have to say, Im a pretty poor operator. :(

Gungahlin, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, Australia

Good morning! I have bought a BES900 machine late last year, and am enjoying the journey of pulling some good shots. Just setting up to roast for the first time, and look forward to the improvement in freshly roasted beans! Any other ACT BES900 owners? Cheers

Page 28 of 108 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast