Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Like Tree402Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Great to see people enjoying the 9 in the wild....Sweet photos and reviews too!

Im keen to upgrade my pilot production version to a MP one now...Phil, Ill trade you for a play on our 3 group Strada?

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 584A454F522B0 link=1312978609/99#99 date=1313912855
    Pavoniboy, you said the steam was disappointing in power - just wondered how this translates in terms of the time taken to get good microfoam?
    I can steam enough milk for a latte in 22cl/7.5oz glass in roughly the time it takes to pull the shot 30secs

I think disappointing is relative, much more than any single boiler much better then any thermoblock just not commercial power.

I have to say I am not disappointed with steam

I am going to try a video of the full process soon and will post it.

Very strange about the steam power. I would assume it is better than silvia with a 300ml boiler? Or the ECM Botticelli, which is meant to be really good with its 400ml boiler?

How does it compare to a small h/x machine with say a 1.3L boiler?

Is it just a matter of turning the pressurestat up? Or to replace the steam tip with one with more/bigger holes?

There was also remarks about the preproduction model having less than expected steam. Was this fixed?

I dont think it all that strange quickling. If you just want to make a comparison between machines in regard to outright quantity when you turn the steam on, then yes, many other machines will produce more.

When you then ask the Breville to continue to produce steam, long after the others are begging to recover, it will do that. If you ask someone with minimal experience to produce good microfoam with little fuss, they will be able to achieve this too.

Seriously, at home, if you need to texturise milk quicker than this machine, then you dont need a Breville or a HX. You need a commercial dual boiler.

Well Ive had my machine since the day it was released. I dont have much to add to the reviews above as they are very detailed and accurate in my opinion. Being able to play with temperatures and pre-infusion is lots of fun. Being able to extract a beautiful thick dark crema time after time is even more fun.

Its still takes me quite few shots to dial in a new coffee but thats just me and Ill get better at it with time.

I havent found a coffee that tastes better off the factory default of 93 degrees yet, but its very interesting to note the changes in the cup when moving temperature around.

Steam may not be as powerful as a commercial machine, but its not a commercial machine. That also does not mean it doesnt produce great micro foam. It does this with relatively no fuss at all. So I dont really understand why anyone would be disappointed with it, I think its fantastic.

There is nothing on this machine that, as yet, has disappointed me. Im so impressed Ive recommended it to three others who have all made a purchase. I just wish I could carry it with me to work and on holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by 6F797C7C6D6F636A6A69690C0 link=1312978609/103#103 date=1313931472
    I dont think it all that strange quickling. If you just want to make a comparison between machines in regard to outright quantity when you turn the steam on, then yes, many other machines will produce more.
    Is there an adjustable pressurestat, or will changing the steam tips change anything?

With a 3 bar pump 900mlx1000w for the steam there is ample pressure, and no, no, no, there are no user adjustments available on the inside of this machine.*

Changing or drilling out the tip may be an option but as I have not tested this I cannot and do not recommend it.* I havent tried fitting other tips to it either.

Perhaps someone out there could screw off the tip, open the valve, and take a pic, and we will have a better idea of what lies beneath the bonnet. ;)

After reading all the reviews - I cant wait to get the BES900 its been god to read the reviews as some people are finding it easy and others are finding it a little more challenging to master. So I know where to come if I have any problems

Love the pics too - ROs love the cups in your Pic, are they ACF?

Quote Originally Posted by 6B6F7379717673747D1A0 link=1312978609/105#105 date=1313986544
    Is there an adjustable pressurestat, or will changing the steam tips change anything?
    really no need to change anything unless you are drinking very milky drinks and in that case change your drink

the steam does the job well

Roz

Quote Originally Posted by 76495452414F544A260 link=1312978609/107#107 date=1313998595
    After reading all the reviews - I cant wait to get the BES900 its been god to read the reviews as some people are finding it easy and others are finding it a little more challenging to master. So I know where to come if I have any problems

Love the pics too - ROs love the cups in your Pic, are they ACF?
    These are Rockingham from Di Bartoli, I chose these because I could not find an online retailer where I could mix and match the ACFs as I only wanted two of each, quality is excellent and I cannot fault Di Bartolis Service as one of the saucers had a chip on arrival, Betty sent a new one overnight.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2D2626213B480 link=1312978609/106#106 date=1313988282
    With a 3 bar pump 900mlx1000w for the steam there is ample pressure, and no, no, no, there are no user adjustments available on the inside of this machine
    Correct, there is no pressurestat. The steam boiler pressure is controlled by a thermistor & the machines software.

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2D2626213B480 link=1312978609/106#106 date=1313988282
    Changing or drilling out the tip may be an option but as I have not tested this I cannot and do not recommend it.* I havent tried fitting other tips to it either.
    Dont play with the hole configuration of the tip. Most people dont understand the delicate balance that exists between pressure, flow rate & total tip hole area. Many machines on the market have tip hole area that is mismatched to their pressure /flow capabilities & this is why you get less than ideal results no matter what volume jug you use, how far you open the steam valve etc. The Dual Boiler has 3 x 0.7mm holes. During development we tried 1 hole, 2 hole all of varying diameters & the 3 x 0.7mm config was the optimum for our steam system. We even tried increasing 1 hole at a time by 0.1mm & each time there was a step in the reverse direction in terms of quality & ease of use.

FWIW I trained/demod the Dual Boiler to 30+ newbies/semi experienced people yesterday & everyone commented how easy it was to get great results with no previous experience on the machine. Its hard to butcher the milk even if youve never used one before!

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1732373B0906243325223938560 link=1312978609/100#100 date=1313913111
    Im keen to upgrade my pilot production version to a MP one now...Phil, Ill trade you for a play on our 3 group Strada?
    Thought that was an iPod charger............can be arranged! Paddle or Electronic Strada?

Quote Originally Posted by 4C424A4F4846495551210 link=1312978609/66#66 date=1313733094
    Check out this pic. Unscrew the spouts, then push the 2 sides together while pressing down to pop out the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63126068@N08/6058394300/in/photostream
    Has anyone tried unscrewing the spout from the portafilter? Mine is on very tight and will not come apart by hand and Im very reluctant to use a tool on it, any suggestions?

If people are worried about the steam because of my review, perhaps you are over-reacting. It was just disappointing for me in power (and Im the kinda guy who buys a 1000cc sports bike and the first thing I do is performance modifications). It still makes incredible microfoam, is easy to use and goes on and on without skipping a beat. It really does have enough power for home use, Im just the kinda guy who wants more when I really dont need it. :D :D

I know some of you are using VSTs in the BES900

So big advantage?

do all sizes fit?

I think I may need/want a new tamper and the idea of a VST+Pullman seems to be attractive

On the other hand Den showed me the Bogav? one he has and it looks nice and fits on the magnets to replace the breville one.

Any advice etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 7C6F7A686E1D0 link=1312978609/116#116 date=1314065204
    Quote Originally Posted by 4C424A4F4846495551210 link=1312978609/66#66 date=1313733094
    Check out this pic. Unscrew the spouts, then push the 2 sides together while pressing down to pop out the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63126068@N08/6058394300/in/photostream
    Has anyone tried unscrewing the spout from the portafilter? Mine is on very tight and will not come apart by hand and Im very reluctant to use a tool on it, any suggestions?

Argus, use a screwdriver shaft with a similar diameter to the inside of the spout, the round shaft shouldnt worry/damage anything but if you are concerned wrap in some insulation tape or similar, i held the handle close to the spout, if your worried about the quality of your screwdriver i.e. handle breaking off in your hand wrap in a cloth or put gloves on.
    It is normal thread so anti-clockwise to undo and it is tight so will need some brute force* ;D so hang onto both tight.

errrrr EDIT, anti-clockwise looking at the bottom of the portafilter

Darren

Thanks Darren, Ill give it a go.

So been playing for a while now, have used about 1 kg of coffee

I think I may have a pressure issue having trouble getting the espresso right. I am trying to guided by taste but have not got it there yet.

If I put in pressurised basket alone (no coffee no rubber thing) I get a pressure of about 8

With a blind filter the gauge just goes off the end almost instantly.

When brewing espresso I can only get the pressure down to any where near 9 if grind is course/v light tamp and the shot gushes and tastes well,... bad

Shots that have been drinkable in milk have shown over 12 bar

is it possible that I just havent got it or that my machine was set up by the same guy as sans_sousci?

I feel your pain Doc, Im also struggling but will pick up some fresh coffee today just to make extra sure as Im new to this so it is most likely something Im doing wrong.

Roz

Im using my synesso at the moment, I havent had time to play with my VST as my grind was perfect. I find the 18g VST fits a bit tight and makes a noise when locking in the portafilter, but this should be okay. I dont think the 22g will fit based on height measurements, Either a pullman or a bogav would be a good option.

But back to mine.. I can only assume the guage is not a good indicator of the pour, my pours have been great but the good shots read 11.5bar on the guage and 9bar would be way too fast. I get 12.2 roughly using a blind filter when backflushing.

Taste has been great but its somewat lacking a bit of body in the espresso maybe due to freshness, its hard to explain but when I get a shot from the local cafe, the tiny bit left over in the cup will be sticky and syrup like if I roll it around in the cup, at home the bit left over in the cup is a bit watery and not as syrup like from espressos I have during the working week at my locals, maybe this is due to freshness of the beans or something else I am not too sure but I know the shots could be better than the good ones at the moment.*

Unfortunately Ive run out of freshness with Chriss supplied Shed Shady due to shipping delay from the courier but this gives me the oppurtunity to go buy a fresh bag of house blend from one of my local haunts, I know what I should expect from the blend and Ill see what happens, once I finish that bag it will be all home roasts from that point on :D

Im still stoked about how easy the shower screen is to clean, without mesh over the screen its a breeze to keep cleaner than my silvia and I would expect any machine with a mesh showever screen!

If you are relying on a gauge to tell you whether your extraction is right, youre in big trouble. Im not dismisssing the possibility of the gauge or pressure being out, but really, as long as the needle moves, Id be looking at everything bar that to obtain a good extraction.

Back to basics:
    a) Grind, dose, settle,tamp (a good tamper will make a difference)
    b) Extraction too quick? Check you have dosed sufficiently. If not, updose and try again. Only if this does not remedy the prroblem should you adjust the grinder to a slightly finer setting.
    c) Extraction too slow? Overextraction commonly identified by a drippy pour and yellow/brown residue inside the bottom of the basket once the puck is knocked out. Dose a little less and try again and as in if that doesnt work, then adjust grinder to a slightly coarser setting
    d) Taste each coffee. Every time you do so it will help you learn what you like in your cup.

Apologies if that somes across as patronising - not intended to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 49686363647E0D0 link=1312978609/120#120 date=1314141766
    Back to basics:
    a) Grind, dose, settle,tamp (a good tamper will make a difference)
    b) Extraction too quick?* Check you have dosed sufficiently.* If not, updose and try again.* Only if this does not remedy the prroblem should you adjust the grinder to a slightly finer setting.
    c) Extraction too slow? Overextraction commonly identified by a drippy pour and yellow/brown residue inside the bottom of the basket once the puck is knocked out.* Dose a little less and try again and as in if that doesnt work, then adjust grinder to a slightly coarser setting
    d) Taste each coffee.* Every time you do so it will help you learn what you like in your cup.

Apologies if that somes across as patronising - not intended to be.
    Not patronised thanks..... but

Still concerned that I may have a pressure issue.* I can get an ok shot just as I could on my Gaggia pre OPV mod.

When I back flush pressure goes of the scale
    When I get a pour that is ok the guage is well over 9 bar

Not withstanding that guages can be off a bit and the OPV cant deal with really tight shots

My understanding was if the is OPV correctly set to 9 bar this will help with the consistancey of the shot as a slightly too tight pour wont be exposed to significantly more than 9-10 bar.

Otherwise there would no need for an OPV?

TC

My demo machine is on a road trip with me. The gauge is reading 11 bar or so for a perfectly balanced espresso. Experience tells me that this does not represent anything like 11 bar at the group and I really dont care what it reads to be honest.

I do however care a whole heap about what I drink and the results are in the cup.

Its often too easy to seek a culprit and yet avoid the real problem ;)

Chris

Hey Chris,
    I was just wondering what kind of volume you are getting from your pulls (also how much are you dosing?)
    I am also having trouble achieving good microfoam, still getting small bubbles upon finishing. It seems more difficult than Silvia and also a tad slower. Hopefully I can pick up the new technique soon :)

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 0035383F0B173B32323131540 link=1312978609/122#122 date=1314151260
    My demo machine is on a road trip with me. The gauge is reading 11 bar or so for a perfectly balanced espresso. Experience tells me that this does not represent anything like 11 bar at the group and I really dont care what it reads to be honest.

I do however care a whole heap about what I drink and the results are in the cup.

Its often too easy to seek a culprit and yet avoid the real problem ;)

Chris

Roz

If the guage wasnt on the machine with the shots I am pulling I wouldnt of intially questioned the pressure at all, Ill keep drinking my shots and see how I go (they are tasty :)), my Silvia using Gregs pressure guage that he lends out was set to about 11.5 when I changed that to 9bar with 30ml / 30 secs of water coming out of his gauge the body and crema improved in my shots, the shots from the breville are just as good as the silvia but the taste is better, still lacks a bit of body but Ill try some fresh beans tonight.

Im getting fairly good microfoam but what I am having trouble with is managing my ratio of foam to milk, Im just not used to it yet, Ive only probably done 3-4 jugs so its early days yet. On the silvia I used to have to start with my jug tilted to achieve results, with the 3 hole tip from the new machine I dont and I start in the middle slightly towards the end, one the jugs Ive made Ive incorporated too much air into the initial stretching stage, Ill nail it on the head with more practice.

The steam wand from this machine is a lot easier to clean that a silvia, just a wet wipe, purge and done not a bit missed.

Happy Customer so far!

Quote Originally Posted by 0B3E3334001C3039393A3A5F0 link=1312978609/122#122 date=1314151260
    Experience tells me that this does not represent anything like 11 bar at the group
    I understand that in most cases I thought the BES900 monitored it at different place to most Mark Prince in his first look said "Quite impressive stuff, and the gauge is this accurate because of where the pressure is measured (as close to the dispersion screen as is possible with engineering)"

Also the brevilles scace II video shows the gauge showing 9bar www.youtube.com/user/BrevilleAustralia and I understand that the scace simulates an extraction does it not?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0B3E3334001C3039393A3A5F0 link=1312978609/122#122 date=1314151260
    Its often too easy to seek a culprit and yet avoid the real problem
    I understand this sentiment but just concerned that it might be part of the "real problem"

My machine is behaving in a similar way to Docs.
    With a blind basket I get an indicated pressure of 13.5 Bar on the gauge which holds steady. Nothing is discharged to the drip tray while the button is being held. When the button is released a small amount of water is discharged to the drip tray. I understand that people are saying that my 13.5 indicated may be 9 Bar actual which is why Ill be following Dens "back to basics" approach with fresh beans this afternoon. Being new to this level of machine I guess it would be reassuring to know that the way it is working is correct so it is clear that I just need to adjust the nut that holds the poratfilter* *:o

Roz

Quote Originally Posted by 4350455751220 link=1312978609/126#126 date=1314157225
    With a blind basket I get an indicated pressure of 13.5 Bar on the gauge which holds steady. Nothing is discharged to the drip tray while the button is being held.* *:o
    That is the 3 Way Solenoid valve doing its job, whilst the button is held at pressure with a blind filter the OPV is pushing the excess water back to the resivoir, when you release the 3 way valve will expell the excess water from the puck or filter back to the drip tray , at least this is how I understand it works.

From what Phil has said is that the OPV is individually calibrated to be regulated at 9 bar using the scace II device if you are not tasting good results after making sure you have espresso 101 covered then the only real way to tell if the OPV is out is via a scace II device something which you would need to take it to a shop or dealer.

On that note I have got some beans from my local roasted yesterday, looking forward to trying them tonight. I have not differed from using manual mode with the default values yet as the results are pleasing.

Thanks ROs, I assumed when the OPV functioned the excess water would be released to the drip tray which is why I thought something was not quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2330253731420 link=1312978609/126#126 date=1314157225
    13.5 Bar on the gauge which holds steady
    mine goes way past that

and ROs is correct re the diferance between the OPV and 3 Way valve

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 62742867286C28766F656D63746F6861060 link=1312978609/129#129 date=1314162275
    mine goes way past that
    Hey Doc, send me a PM with your mob number & Ill come down to your house & adjust the OPV for you. I live just down the road....seriously.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 3E31362B373C590 link=1312978609/124#124 date=1314154880
    Im getting fairly good microfoam but what I am having trouble with is managing my ratio of foam to milk, Im just not used to it yet, Ive only probably done 3-4 jugs so its early days yet.
    Buy a couple of litres of milk - sacrifice it all to the texturising gods in the one session. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 343A3237303E312D29590 link=1312978609/130#130 date=1314167245
    Quote Originally Posted by 62742867286C28766F656D63746F6861060 link=1312978609/129#129 date=1314162275
    mine goes way past that
    Hey Doc, send me a PM with your mob number & Ill come down to your hoise & adjust the OPV for you. I live just down the road....seriously.

Cheers, Phil
    [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

I have tried everything from course, loose to fine, tight and had gauge readings from 9 to the upper side of the 12 mark. I havent managed to get anything good from a 9 reading - gushers only. The best shots I have pulled (and they were great tasting shots) were all reading around 11, and gave me around 60mLs from a double in 30secs.

I get my best shots when I just focus on the basics and forget attempting to go for an extraction that reads a certain level on the gauge, but then it just so happens that the gauge tends to read around 11.

So the gauge really is a bit confusing. But I do know my machine can make incredible coffee and I am slowly getting better at doing this more often.

Oh, and for clear water backflushing I am getting almost 9 on the gauge with single shot double walled basket and rubber disc.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1F2E392021262D20364F0 link=1312978609/132#132 date=1314174186
    I get my best shots when I just focus on the basics and forget attempting to go for an extraction that reads a certain level on the gauge, but then it just so happens that the gauge tends to read around 11.
    This really is the best approach.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 7D737B7E7977786460100 link=1312978609/130#130 date=1314167245
    Hey Doc, send me a PM with your mob number & Ill come down to your house & adjust the OPV for you. I live just down the road....seriously.
    all done bit late to drink too much but seems to be good

Thanks Phil

Roz

Well I just over caffeinated myself on some uber fresh Colombian Supremo, made a latte, slowly ramped up the steam pressure and got the perfect ratio for art but I suck at pouring still. I will definitely waste a few litres getting used to the machine

Ive had 4 doubles today :D, 2 during the working day so Im wired and wont sleep easy tonight haha.

I only wish this machine came sooner so I didnt have to go through 3 previous machines but I guess thats all part of the journey.

Dont forget you can practice steaming technique by using water with one drop of dishwashing liquid, I find it behaves very similar to milk.

Cheers

I have watched this Youtube video on texturing milk and practising with soapy water.* I have to say, I didnt quite get the same results....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAvYoymUbM&feature=related

Some days I get a rosette, others, a tulip, mostly however, blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B454D484F414E5256260 link=1312978609/111#111 date=1314044425
    Quote Originally Posted by 1732373B0906243325223938560 link=1312978609/100#100 date=1313913111
    Thought that was an iPod charger............can be arranged! Paddle or Electronic Strada?

Makes pretty good coffee for an ipod charger! :)

Electronic strada....

After watching some of the Breville Videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Byy...er_profilepage) I am now worried that theres something wrong with my OVP as well.

In the video there Phil puts way more grinds in the basket than I ever have (coffee seems quite high) and the extraction still gets a nice 9 bar.

To get a nice pour my pressure is always 12+ and it only goes down if I underdose and it flows way to fast (20s).

Any suggestions what to do about this?

Cheers,
    Bach

Quote Originally Posted by 494A48432B0 link=1312978609/139#139 date=1314242396
    To get a nice pour my pressure is always 12+ and it only goes down if I underdose and it flows way to fast (20s).
    So, are you saying that no matter what grind setting you use, that the above is the outcome?

made some nice picolos today with the coffee den included in the deal

I also experimented with the length of pre-infusion and think I benefited from an extra couple of seconds

I have had to remove a shim from my smart grinder as I was needing to grind too fine for gaggia

Will soon be at a level where I may consider taking pics/vids

[hr]
    Can I make a suggestion for future versions?
    the shot clock zeros it self too quickly cant see a reason why it couldnt show the shot time from the last shot until the next one is commenced
    [hr]

Nav

Hey all,

I am actually experiencing the same thing most people above have mentioned, my pour pressure is always around 11-12.5 if I want to get ~30 ml in 30 seconds, if I grind less fine or does lower, I get an incredibly quick pour, I havent been able to figure out why. That being said, Ive learned to ignore the pressure gauge now as trying to hit 9 bars of pressure was only making me frustrated with the machine.

As an aside, does anyone know whether Breville has provided any ETAs on when a factory naked portafilter for the BES 900 will be available? Any other factory accessories that might be coming out soon?

Nav

Quote Originally Posted by 1A3B3030372D5E0 link=1312978609/140#140 date=1314243621
    Quote Originally Posted by 494A48432B0 link=1312978609/139#139 date=1314242396
    So, are you saying that no matter what grind setting you use, that the above is the outcome?
    No. Of course grind will change the flow.

What Im saying is, that no matter what I do (grind/dose) I always end up with a pressure of 12+ when getting a nice pour..

Which compared to the Breville videos seems way too high.

Im not too worried about it but would like to know why this is happening. Clearly the BES900 used in the Breville video behaves differently.

Cheers,
    Bach

Not sure whether our Breville guru has already mentioned it but theres a few more videos on youtube with tips on grinds, dosing, tamping and texturing milk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WMt5FEEaPA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn2-ytA4cQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ByyUmZT28&feature=related

I say +ve to our Guru.

PS: Kudos to Bach. Appears Bach has already come across and pointed out the video/s in an earlier post.

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1314258005/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Hey all, I have split off the further discussion on the OPV to another thread, as it seems to be taking away from the OPs original intention for this thread.

If you have a BES900 and want to share your experiences with it, please continue to post here.

If you want to talk OPVs, please join the discussion in the other thread. :)

Cheers,
    Scoota.

Weve had the S1 and previous machines on the r/h side of the counter, hotplates in the centre, and toaster, kettle on the left.

This morning I asked Sue if she would mind me putting the 900 on the other side of the kitchen counter where the kettle/toaster usually reside, as I thought it would be more comfortable to use with the steam arm on the right of the machine.

Her answer: I guess thats OK. Does that mean we are going to have two coffee machines, one on either side of the hotplates?

I was so, so tempted to say yes!

--Edit by Andy--
    Off topic content removed.

Advice from owners please....

Were trying to get a bottomless filter into the country for a decent price for the 900.
    What would people pay?* And how many of you would want one? What do they sell for elsewhere for other machines?
    (It would be made of the same cast SS as the current handle)

And then, how many of you would also want a single spout hadle?

Dave (Breville)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 404B4C53534651121B230 link=1312978609/148#148 date=1314336257
    Advice from owners please
    Im not and owner but will toss my second crack worth.

Rule of thumb is the price of a naked is the street price of the handle plus $10 for the machine work.

Single sided handles are rarely used. I have a large collection of unused ones from every machine I own.

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast