Page 31 of 108 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 5377
Like Tree406Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Phil
    I can tell you from experience the seal on the Breville is far superior to the Silvia. There are zero leaks on the Breville. If you can tell where where I can obtain a scarce I would appreciate it. being so far from the dealer or the Distributor makes me the on site technician. I had a laugh
    If one s will and has the tools then it is not difficult. I maintained our commercial coffee vending machines so this is much simpler in many ways but much more sophisticated in the electronics. I am enjoying what it does and so far I have not touched a thing on the espresso machine. on the grinder I had to install the shims as indicated.
    While I would like to see a few different things in the future as I believe Breville has proved it can compete in the espresso market.
    I enjoy that people like yourself show up on these forums and not explain the whys and wherefores and take some heat. We all appreciate that you do not back down but explain the facts as they are relevant to the Breville machine and how the design philosophy is intended to be implemented.
    By the time I got to the test using the single cup double wall basket I had the machine, dose, grind and tamp working to produce consistent espresso and for my wife who likes her cappuccino the milk texturing is a piece of cake.
    I have no complaints about the Silvia except everything is sequential where as the Breville is parallel and brewing and steaming is done at the she time.
    Breville has made me and many others a believer.
    I just want to gather the tools together to prove to my personal satisfaction that it is set up as you indicate for my self.
    One thing though as we live at 668 m able sea level I would like to make a small adjustment to the steam temperature. At our altitude all our temperatures have to be adjusted from the sea level norm.
    Thanks again for you input Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E41594F444F434A4A4949414D422C0 link=1312978609/1499#1499 date=1331173320
    Lucky its not an iPad you have. I hear Apple is pretty cashed up and probably not for sale anyway.
    Indeed, I am working at server system architecture but I dont buy any APPLE products just because they are too pricy.

Bringing the computer cult nonsense to an espresso forum is just asking for trouble. I had a laugh
    I am certain once the Breville chain of Distributors catch up to the demand the availability of spare parts will also be made available to those who choose to do their own service work. Or those who have no option due to location.
    While I may disagree on the factory decisions for parts I must also admit their choices do work. There are no leaks or malfunctions on my machine as delivered.
    As I said I am forced to do the work due to distance the flip side is what work it is working.
    If it anint broke dont fix it!!
    We have given our Silvia to a good home who can learn from scratch how to make espresso.
    So many espresso snobs are downplaying the Breville and all I can say is we enjoy the espresso and the best micro-foam we have ever had.
    Thanks Phil

do we need to keep box for warranty/service?

Quote Originally Posted by 68445E59424E594F444C2B0 link=1312978609/1502#1502 date=1331183463
    Bringing the computer cult nonsense to an espresso forum is just asking for trouble. I had a laugh
    I am sorry to say that I may do some contributions to this forums web servers. I had a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by 68445E59424E594F444C2B0 link=1312978609/1502#1502 date=1331183463
    There are no leaks or malfunctions on my machine as delivered.
    You are just lucky on this. My unit came with too high OPV setting which caused high brewing pressure to burst coffee water out and then PF fell down to break a cup.
    After adjusted the OPV below 10 bar, I still need to hold the PF during extraction because it sometimes may slip and move.

Thanks

Nick OY

Quote Originally Posted by 0A2B2020273D4E0 link=1312978609/1497#1497 date=1331167708
    Have it your own way Nick. Ive not heard of anyone apart from you who is silly enough to buy something that isnt supported in their country of abode, or of anyone who goes out and buys a brand new coffee machine, then immediately stockpiles an array of parts just in case something goes wrong.
    This is the reason I am a server system architect and you may be not. Men always need servers now and still expect the machines will break down for any reason, so taking every means to keep them running up. I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 5453595155435B545D3A0 link=1312978609/1504#1504 date=1331199487
    There are no leaks or malfunctions on my machine as delivered.
    You are just lucky on this. My unit came with too high OPV setting which caused high brewing pressure to burst coffee water out and then PF fell down to break a cup.
    After adjusted the OPV below 10 bar, I still need to hold the PF during extraction because it sometimes may slip and move.
    im new here but i do know enough to tell you that if that is really true then you doing something wrong
    there is NO WAY that PF would come undone on its own even if you double the pressure

Hi, just to change the subject a little, Im using an bes900
    and trying to find the right dose for an 18 gr. vst basket, I understand you can dose + or - 1 gr. so that would make 19 gr. the maximum recomended, now using the 5 cent test
    it takes 20.5 gr. to make a faint impression on the puk with 15kg. tamp measured on scales, now the question is should I go with the recomended 19gr. for the basket or the 20.5gr. 5 cent gap, the aim being to have the correct amount of coffee in the basket to allow adjustment of other variables, sorry to be so long winded :)

I have a similar issue here. I can easily get 14g in the Breville 10g single basket. Im getting 28g in a VST 24g basket - sensational coffee - its hard to see how I could use less coffee and get a correct extraction..

Nick - if the PF is coming off the seal is probably dirty. I also have to hold my PF when I use a blind basket to back flush but never an issue making coffee.

I have never experienced the Portafilter coming off unless I did not tighten it up.
    The gasket on the breville seems
    1. Softer
    2. tighter
    3. less prone to leaks
    I do run a group brush around the gasket at least once a day.
    It does not take many coffee grounds to accumulate on the gasket to effect a leak with the pressure at extraction.
    Cleaning or purging after a shot and again before extraction does help keep everything clean.
    With the way the breville sits on the countertop you can reef the portafilter into position without fear of the machine moving nor damaging the gasket. The group gasket has more give than the similar italian version and provides, in my experience, a better seal with minimal risk of blowing the portafilter off the group head.
    Nick Oy when you look at the portafilter handle in the lock position reference to the lock indicator on the goup head where is the handle
    is it all the way over to the lock position which is just past the 90 degree point out front.

Quote Originally Posted by 59756F68737F687E757D1A0 link=1312978609/1509#1509 date=1331248177
    I have never experienced the Portafilter coming off unless I did not tighten it up.The gasket on the breville seems 1. Softer2. tighter3. less prone to leaks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E7B6C737E4D2B232C2A1A0 link=1312978609/1508#1508 date=1331238547
    Nick - if the PF is coming off the seal is probably dirty. I also have to hold my PF when I use a blind basket to back flush but never an issue making coffee.
    Thank you guys. I am not kind of nuts didnt know anything about checking the basic things when using a semi-automatic espresso machines. In fact, I have three semi-automatic despresso machines, so I can compare them to know whether my handling skill has problem.

However, definitely my skill is OK. For my BDB, no matter using blind filter or normal filter, the PF will move slightly to unlock itself sometimes when the gauge reading is higher and closed to the OPV setting point. When I hold the PF, I can fell a force is applied to the PF itself to unlock and then it starts to move slightly. At the moment, the gauge reading is falling. I need to hold the PF to counteract the force and maintain the PF position.

I confirmed this issue is nothing to do with the gasket cleaness, as the gasket is dam clean and I already locked the PF to the end of the location.

Some of you always says "never". I realy envy you but you may just not encounter the problem so far.

Thanks

Nick OY

Quote Originally Posted by 210D17100B0710060D05620 link=1312978609/1509#1509 date=1331248177
    you can reef the portafilter into position without fear of the machine moving
    There should be no need to reef anything into place,* gentle pressure is all that is necessary. ;)

zdam

Hi,

I just purchased a bes 900. Yay!

I use a breville bcg450 grinder that has been modified to allow a finer grind.

I am using the double cup single walled filter, have not changed the machine defaults, and always press the 2 cup button.

Beans roasted 4 days ago.

My first 2 uses resulted in pours that lasted around 15 seconds (including the default pre-infuse time), the pressure gauge only reached about 5.

Next I set the grinder to its finest setting and packed the basket quite well, pour lasted 25 seconds (incl. pre-infuse), pressure reaching 8-9

Finally I jam packed the basket as full as I could, tamped as hard as I could, could barely get the group handle on! There was minor dripping at the back of the porta-filler and the pour went for over 60 seconds before I got worried I was breaking it and switched off the machine.
    - pressure got to 10

Each coffee has tasted better than the last. :)

Questions:

Do I need a finer grind? Is the breville smart grinder a good bet? Other grinders?..

Should a double pour be longer than a single pour? How long would you expect a double to run for? (I have seen Phils amazing 34 second pour - that was for a single??)

Is filling the filter so full that the coffee touches the portafiller and makes the group handle super hard to put on - a bad thing?

Cheers, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by 77696C600D0 link=1312978609/1512#1512 date=1331259695
    Questions:

Do I need a finer grind?* Is the breville smart grinder a good bet? Other grinders?.

Should a double pour be longer than a single pour?* How long would you expect a double to run for?* (I have seen Phils amazing 34 second pour - that was for a single??)

Is filling the filter so full that the coffee touches the portafiller and makes the group handle super hard to put on - a bad thing?
    Congrats on your new toy.

You should aim for pour time around 30sec total.
    First drops appearing around 6-8 secs (not sure about how pre-infusion changes time.).
    Volume changes with different basket size not time of pour. Double = 60 ml, single = 30 ml.
    your 2nd effort sounds right-ish.

Read up on 5cent test and/or rice test to check up on dosing.
    If you get a 30sec pour when you pass the 5cent/rice test then your grind is okay.

I used a modded BCG450 for a few months before changing to a BCG800. Its better by far but can have issues* too. You might have got a better deal if buying the two together. For the price many of us think it hard to* beat the BCG800.

It should be easy to lock in the portafilter and if your pour is taking 60sec and the pf is leaking then you are overfilling. Not certain but Im sure seals etc wil end up needing early replacement with prolonged overdosing to this extent.

Just remember that pour times and volumes can vary a little bit and still produce a good cup.* Some people will deliberately do longer or shorter* pours and aim for ristretto and lungo volumes because thats the style they prefer to drink.

First drops should be at 10-14 seconds actually...

It sounds like you may require the shim kit to get the grind to go finer still. I know my grinder 1124 series required the shim kit. once I installed the recommended shims everything worked just as Phill said it would.
    We use the VST 15 gm basket and our dose weight is 14 grams
    the first drop comes at 12 sec as Phil indicated for a total brew of 34 sec and 60 ml (2 Oz) of a very nice espresso.
    There are a few things I have to get used to which seem different than the Italian machines. I have to admit if I follow Phils instructions we enjoy the results in the cup.
    It is so hard to argue with the results, no matter how right I am convinced I am. I had a laugh
    Have a good day everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1B323D285C0 link=1312978609/1482#1482 date=1331022353
    Slightly more on-topic, the Naked Portafilter has appeared on Brevilles website
    http://www.breville.com.au/parts-accessories/beverages/espresso/bnf58mm.html
    $100 plus postage
    NAKED GOODNESS!!!!

Now that I got your attention....

Spoke to George at Breville customer service and ordered a Naked Portafilter and 2 boxes of charcoal filters.

Very good to deal with and even combined shipping even though the two orders are coming from two different places.

Apparently the only way to get the Naked at present is via the customer service line on 1300 139 798. Figured itd be useful for those waiting for them to have this information. :)

Eagerly awaiting my goodies! :)

OK espresso newbie here and after much online research I went for the BES900 as my first espresso machine. Step 2 on the journey (bought K3T recently). Now in my research I read in several places that ideally you should remove the plastic disc from the portafilter.

Here the google has let me down, and I wonder if anyone can tell me the easiest way to do this? Dont want to scratch that new PF....

Also, would people consider a replacement tamper and a vst basket as the next purchases? (bear in mind I havent used the thing yet I had a laugh!)

Anticipating a great weekend to come tinkering with the new toy* :D

Quote Originally Posted by 0D0A00080C1A020D04630 link=1312978609/1504#1504 date=1331199487
    I still need to hold the PF during extraction because it sometimes may slip and move.

Quote Originally Posted by 20110C00630 link=1312978609/1506#1506 date=1331202854
    i do know enough to tell you that if that is really true then you doing something wrong
    there is NO WAY that PF would come undone on its own even if you double the pressure

Actually there is a way...several people have experienced this. I only experience it for the first and sometimes second shot after doing a caffetto backflush and soaking portafilter in caffetto, but I believe other people have experienced it at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by 2702150A0734525A5553630 link=1312978609/1508#1508 date=1331238547
    if the PF is coming off the seal is probably dirty.
    I get it when the seal and group handle lugs are not dirty, but super clean (and probably minor residue left on them). I do rinse and rinse and rinse.

The other morning I forgot I had backflushed with caffetto the night before (not quite awake yet) and hit the button and walked over to my fridge to get some milk and bang - the portafilter came loose, knocked my cup over - rolled off the machine, bounced off bench and smashed all over my tiled floor. :( Note to self - remember when youve used caffetto and hold onto that portafilter handle!

Quote Originally Posted by 262A2A292C207774450 link=1312978609/1517#1517 date=1331282555
    would people consider a replacement tamper and a vst basket as the next purchases?
    This is a personal preference. The stock basket is a good one. The stock tamper is adequate. However I really wanted a Pullman tamper for mine, so figured I might as well get the matched VST with the Pullman. But as I said, just personal preference.

The easiest way to remove the plastic bit is pry it out with a screwdriver. If youre worried about scratching the portafilter (I didnt scratch it but it could happen), you can undo the spout, and release the plastic bit from below - but beware, the spout might not line up properly again when you put it back on.

Hmm, im tossing up between a naked PF or a Pullman Tamper now..

Hi Everyone:
    I just want to say what a great cup of coffee this morning. In less time than it took with our old machine to make one Cappuccino I made two so my wife and I are sitting down together having a cup of excellent coffee. The Breville Dual Boiler is a real treat to use and so neat and clean as well. Very little extra time is required to keep the work station clean as well. For those still on the fence thinking about this machine all I can say is we are senior citizens who enjoy an excellent Cappuccino with no muss or fuss.
    Have a Great Day.

Great news for Canadians.
    Naked Portafilter is available, BREBEA058NP $94.99 plus shipping & taxes call 1-855-683-3535 Standard shipping Canada Post :) :)
    (No Dealing with UPS :( :( )
    I also ordered a Group Gasket $3.99
    No Parts list is available.

Quote Originally Posted by 3203140D0C0B000D1B620 link=1312978609/1519#1519 date=1331284076

The easiest way to remove the plastic bit is pry it out with a screwdriver. If youre worried about scratching the portafilter (I didnt scratch it but it could happen), you can undo the spout, and release the plastic bit from below - but beware, the spout might not line up properly again when you put it back on.
    Thanks. I couldnt easily get the screwdriver to budge it but in the end I just unscrewed the spout. Went back together OK.
    So on to trying out the machine. Enjoying trying different variables, have had a few great results but havent achieved consistency yet. Have to stop now as I am wired.....* :D

Quote Originally Posted by 2428282B2E227576470 link=1312978609/1523#1523 date=1331358510
    Thanks. I couldnt easily get the screwdriver to budge it but in the end I just unscrewed the spout. Went back together OK.:D
    Picked mine up today! How did you manage to get the spout off? Mine is stuck on pretty tight! I was just about to put it in the vice and use that to get it off, thought id ask here first.

Made a few shots with the plastic bit still in, had to install both remaining shims on the Smart Grinder to get it fine enough! Got an amazing double ristretto. Will check out the steaming performance tomorrow.

EDIT: Also a question about dosing for those with the smart grinder. For the double basket, ive got my SG set to 1 shot with a +4 adjustment. There is barely enough in there to reach the top of the basket for distribution, but any more and the grinds hit the shower screen. The dry puck (after tamping) is around the level of where the taper on the basket starts.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D545B4E3A0 link=1312978609/1520#1520 date=1331286316
    Im very happy with the Bogav Sniper from Talk Coffee for only $65.

http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/products/bogav-sniper-tamper-for-breville-dual-boiler

With the money you save on the Bogav you can put it towards your naked PF ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 48616E7B0F0 link=1312978609/1524#1524 date=1331358853
    How did you manage to get the spout off? Mine is stuck on pretty tight!
    You can put a screwdriver shaft through the gap in the spout (where the coffee flows out) and use it as a lever. You could try the vice with something soft between the vice and the spout to not scratch it, but be careful to not overtighten the vice.

zdam

HI,

I just thought Id report that I upgraded from a modded BCG450 to the BCG800 today.

1st grind was a default 2 shot with the grind set at 3rd from finest. This collapsed to very little in the pf so I manually added some more grind. This produced a 59 second pour.

2nd grind was a default 2 shot with the grind set at 5th from finest. This tamped to just above the ridge in the 2 cup single walled filter. Produced a 39 second pour that was looking too thin and light in those final 10 seconds.

So I am very happy with the new grinder - it produces a much finer grind.

What variable would you suggest I try changing to reduce the pour time?

Thanks, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by 6B424D582C0 link=1312978609/1524#1524 date=1331358853
    How did you manage to get the spout off? Mine is stuck on pretty tight! I was just about to put it in the vice and use that to get it off, thought id ask here first.
    I used a cloth with a screw driver and wedged it into the spout sideways and the torque is sufficient to unscrew it.* Be careful not to lose the washers as just one missing is enough for it not to line up properly.

EDIT: Also a question about dosing for those with the smart grinder. For the double basket, ive got my SG set to 1 shot with a +4 adjustment. There is barely enough in there to reach the top of the basket for distribution, but any more and the grinds hit the shower screen. The dry puck (after tamping) is around the level of where the taper on the basket starts.
    For the stock double basket, I have my SG to:

- Shots 2
    - +1 quantity
    - 4 notches in from the right on the fineness scale

I know mine is an earlier revision BCG800 as when Im beyond 9 notches from the right, the dosing goes spastic :) hahah...* the newest revision doesnt do that...*

In saying that, Phil did say that optimum is about 3-5 in from the right for espresso so i shimmed my grinder appropriately (mine was overshimmed when I got it).

Quote Originally Posted by 525845584B545F6E425C584559310 link=1312978609/1525#1525 date=1331361663
    Quote Originally Posted by 7D545B4E3A0 link=1312978609/1520#1520 date=1331286316
    Im very happy with the Bogav Sniper from Talk Coffee for only $65.

http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/products/bogav-sniper-tamper-for-breville-dual-boiler

With the money you save on the Bogav you can put it towards your naked PF ;-)
    I love my bogav too! Its a much better fit than the stock. I also purchased this one due to the fact I knew Id get the Naked PF (which is on its way).

Quote Originally Posted by 3C303033363A6D6E5F0 link=1312978609/1517#1517 date=1331282555
    Here the google has let me down, and I wonder if anyone can tell me the easiest way to do this? Dont want to scratch that new PF....
    Cant remember who gave me the idea but screw a corkscrew into the centre of the plastic disc and pull out worked a treat, no farking around or damage to anything.

Oh and this business with the handle turning and slipping off noticed mine doing it this arvo when backflushing
    I put it down to the seals being wet from the rinse. never does it while pulling a shot as i wipe the basket b4 locking it in and wipe the showerscreen area with a teatowel before my first use.

Cheers guys, got it off with a screwdriver. After just one use there sure was a lot of gunk trapped underneath the plastic already!

As soon as I shift my old machine ill grab a Bogav, cant get it before, otherwise the minister of finance will be all over me.

My SG with a 1mm+0.4mm was juuust not fine enough, so I added an extra 0.4mm and its sitting about 5 notches off the right side. Getting ~28s pours consistently, trying to fine tune the dose now.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 5F73696E75796E78737B1C0 link=1312978609/1500#1500 date=1331182084
    If you can tell where where I can obtain a scarce I would appreciate it.
    http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_THER...rch_id=1446394

Then add a Fluke 53II & a BES900 Naked PF.

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 51607D71120 link=1312978609/1503#1503 date=1331190322
    do we need to keep box for warranty/service?
    In case you do need to take it or send it for a service of any type, Id keep the box if you have space.

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1134233C3102646C6365550 link=1312978609/1508#1508 date=1331238547
    This happens if the top of the coffee basket, lugs or nylon group head ramps are wet. This always happens during clear-water backflushing & cleaning. If everything is dry, then it wont slip.

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 454043434D4453210 link=1312978609/1513#1513 date=1331262799
    First drops appearing around 6-8 secs (not sure about how pre-infusion changes time.).
    If you have the Pre-infusion time set ot the factory 7secs, then you should get espresso dropping at between 11-14secs as a general guide.

As for dose height, older coffee can stand higher physical doses & fresher coffee needs lower physical doses as it expands more.

The BCG800 will give you control over dose, allowing you to experiement with varying dose.

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 7E52484F54584F59525A3D0 link=1312978609/1515#1515 date=1331270973
    It sounds like you may require the shim kit to get the grind to go finer still
    Sorry the BCG450 does NOT have a shim kit available.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 47494144434D425E5A2A0 link=1312978609/1532#1532 date=1331512613
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F73696E75796E78737B1C0 link=1312978609/1500#1500 date=1331182084

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil After they become more available I will order a second for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D716B6C777B6C7A71791E0 link=1312978609/1537#1537 date=1331525693
    Quote Originally Posted by 47494144434D425E5A2A0 link=1312978609/1532#1532 date=1331512613

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil After they become more available I will order a second for this purpose.
    Phil:
    It would appear the only way to obtain a complete Scarce with a pressure gauge would be to order the following,
    http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_THERMOFILTER2
    then disassemble and mount on a Breville naked portafilter
    A lot of work but it would appear the only way to achieve a STANDARD Device.
    To perform the STANDARD test, Pressure, Temperature, Time and Volume are required.
    The Breville will meet these tests I have no doubt. I just want to verify the results for my self. Comes with being an Engineer retired or otherwise.
    The longer I own the Breville the more impressed I have become of the basic device and the design choices.
    The use of Plastic for the frame eliminate any rusted frame
    The use of high quality Teflon tubing reduces scale build up and the fittings eliminate leaks
    The use of Stainless Steel in the boilers and the group have a significant effect on the overall stability and longevity.
    Our water in Edmonton is virtually beyond rating it is so hard.
    The use of softeners will reduce it but only distillation will remove all the scale byproducts. This leaves us with water which is quite inert and requires subsequent treatment to rejuvenate it for consumption.
    For any machine to survive in this harsh environment it must be well above average. I have investigated many machines and to date the Breville is the only one not to develop leaks within one month of use. This speaks to all the valves and fittings used in any machine.
    The Breville is the cleanest and to this point leak free.
    Top this with a machine that makes an excellent espresso, fine micro-foam. I can say I am impressed.

zdam

How does the BDB changes its pour time?

I have not changed any settings on the BDB, and I always use the 2 shot button.

My pours have ranged from 15 seconds to 60 seconds.

How does the BDB change the length of time that it extracts? By this I mean that if I was doing a manual pour I might change the length depending on the dose, grind etc, but how does the BDB make the decision to pour longer or shorter?

To me it seems that the only things the BDB can use to decide is water temp and pressure. My last 10 pours have all had the pressure needle around 9, but have varied in as much as 20 seconds.

Cheers, Adam.

The BDB measures water volume - its not time based.

zdam

So DavidW you are saying the the BDB 2 shot is say set at 60ml water volume, and the machine will operate until it has dispensed 60ml. How long that takes depends on how long it takes to push the water through the coffee, which depends on the dose, grind and tamp?

That is correct. As for the pressure, it has an over-pressure valve that opens if the pressure goes above 9-bar, so your pressure will never go above 9.

Ideally you should aim for extraction of about 33-34 seconds (about 26-27s without the default 7s preinfusion), then make minor adjustments to your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E202529440 link=1312978609/1541#1541 date=1331594013
    So DavidW you are saying the the BDB 2 shot is say set at 60ml water volume, and the machine will operate until it has dispensed 60ml.* How long that takes depends on how long it takes to push the water through the coffee, which depends on the dose, grind and tamp?
    Yep.

zdam

Thanks.

So I imagine you can hit a 34 second extraction by adjusting

higher/lower dose and finer/coarser grinds (assuming unchanging tamp).

What do folks believe is more important to achieve the best taste? The amount of coffee used or the size of the grind?

I have seen videos where people are weighing the amount of coffee on fine scales. Does this mean the the amount of coffee is super important, or are they just trying to remove a variable by keeping the weight constant?

fresh beans are the most important
    then after that it is about suitable grind and then amount of coffee
    i find that with good fresh beans even not the best shots are still very nice and on other end of the spectrum stale beans even if you weight them and grinded and then tamped to perfection and get nice ~30sec extraction you still have not so great coffee

just wondering how people finding milk steaming on BDB
    i get nice glossy milk and cappuccino seem to taste nice but cant get any art action and watching lots of clips on youtube i dont think i seen one where textured milk on BDB was good enough for latte art.
    any tips? i use digital thermometer and aim for 65C stopping around 62C since it still climbs up after i stop steaming.
    I also tried putting my SS jug in a fridge before i make coffee.
    would be great if someone could record clip and slap it on youtube

zdam

Yep agree fresh beans most important.

So you are saying that then grind is most important - so find the right grind then adjust dose and to get ideal extraction time...

So what is considered the right grind? Fine enough to choke the machine then back it off?

if you grind directly to PF then just get nice bump on top and that most the time is around ~18gr, i been confirming this with digital scale and lowest i got was around 16gr, this wont change your extraction time by a lot and you can tweak that later, there could be better way of doing this but whole first week i been double checking my dose with my scale and i can almost tell you to the dot now if im over or under the perfect 18gr.
    also watch your tamper, it will tell you if you on target or not.
    if you tamp it down and you hit ridge you know you didnt have enough, then on other side if you tamp it down very firm but you still cant get your handle on to the machine because is too full then you know you got too much.

you can go from any direction, if you choke it you back off and if it runs too fast you dial in finer grind.
    dont look for one method because you will have to be flexible every single day.
    same bean today on one setting gives you perfect extraction but tomorrow could be off again so you just have to play with it.
    as long as you are not miles off coffee still will be nice too drink, if you aim for perfection with everyshot you going to use so much coffee every week you better be rich :)
    first few days i was doing this, always aiming for ~30sec extraction, if it was not between 25-35sec i would put it down the sink and adjust till i get perfect shot again but this gets silly and very expensive in no time so now unless i dial in some really bad grind and have sub 15sec extraction or over 50sec i will drink it and as long as beans are good and fresh it is still better than instant and your pocket wont be hurting.

You need to find the right dose - use the 5c method.

Adjust your grind until you are getting ~26s extractions, and then adjust finer/coarser until it stops being sour/bitter. If you find that on one grind setting its too bitter/slow, and the next one its sour/fast, then you will have to adjust your dose slightly (more if its sour, less if its bitter).

If you are dialing in the machine or grinder for the first time, or are not sure where you are going wrong, generally you grind as fine as the grinder will go (should choke the machine), then your way upwards from there. It will take at least 3 or 4 extractions (unless you are lucky!) to get near the correct grind, then its just fine tuning as your drink the coffee.

Page 31 of 108 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast