coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 3,000 of 4806
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Nick, this isn't an issue with the mechanics of the machine - see photos added to the above posts. It happens when water splashes around between where the drip tray meets the machine itself, or the cutout area where the water tank is visible - ie water gets inside this cavity from the outside. I suppose this could be called a "design flaw", but a fairly benign one.
    Only an issue if you're a little messy when cleaning up, like me .

I'm also having an issue with water underneath the drip tray. It always ends up down there after a back flush with the blind filter, and so I assume it's got something to do with high pressure water being ejected into the drip tray, and splashing out as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredArabica View Post
    Nick, this isn't an issue with the mechanics of the machine - see photos added to the above posts. It happens when water splashes around between where the drip tray meets the machine itself, or the cutout area where the water tank is visible - ie water gets inside this cavity from the outside. I suppose this could be called a "design flaw", but a fairly benign one.
    Only an issue if you're a little messy when cleaning up, like me .
    Hi,

The picture rustic posted to show how the water coming down from the top of the wall of the front panel should never happen. If your case is not as rustic's, I might be wrong.
    But as rustic's case, it is definitely abnormal. I believe all of you haven't open your machine to check how the waste water purged out from the machine to the drip tray. There is only one way there, that is a silicon hose from the top of the 3-way solenoid to a 3-way tube whose one outlet connects a hose down to the openness of the bottom of the machine and above the top of drip tray. There is no way to splash water like rustic's case.

Cheers,

Nick

Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Nick

You have a lot of knowledge but you seem to be very pessimistic

Above is classical example a splash of water is being discussed and you make spot (incorrect) diagnosis and advise opening a machine (under warranty) to change o rings

That's like me hearing you have chest pain (when hit in the chest with a hammer) and advising you to have bypass surgery without seeing or examining you.

Just a note of caution to those reading your self help manual!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post
    Nick

You have a lot of knowledge but you seem to be very pessimistic

Above is classical example a splash of water is being discussed and you make spot (incorrect) diagnosis and advise opening a machine (under warranty) to change o rings

That's like me hearing you have chest pain (when hit in the chest with a hammer) and advising you to have bypass surgery without seeing or examining you.

Just a note of caution to those reading your self help manual!
    Hi,

I did recommend rustic sending back his machine for checking the issue. I just described how the waste water goes from the machine to the drip tray. To assess what I described, I detailed the internal piping for reference.

Anyone can decide believeing or not, anyone can share what he had seen inside of the machine. Anyone can decide if he would like to open his machine or not. I am not from Breville. If I was, I definitely violated Breville's policy to against product warrenty. You decide to believe what you want to listen. That is OK to me.

Cheers,

Nick

Just a quick post to thank again for pervious comments on here about the superiority of using the double shot basket in preference to the single shot baskets. I was struggling to get nice shots from the single shot baskets, no matter what my grind or amount, they kept coming out overextracted. I tried the double basket and the pours were perfect, pressure was just right, timing, crema, flavour... Still playing with grind (as predicted) and looking forward to next discovering some nice new beans to complement the machine.
    Many benefits from reading through this topic thoroughly. Thanks
    DavidW1960 likes this.

Lucy - you will find that the grind will always need adjusting due to climate, humidity, age of beans etc. I often change my grind from one day to the next. I'm glad you're loving your machine and getting some nice coffee.
    LucyW likes this.

i get water under my drip trey too. I just wipe it out. No biggy

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen13 View Post
    i get water under my drip trey too. I just wipe it out. No biggy
    I think you should replace the c ring just west of the head otherwise it could be terminal
    WiredArabica and brokenvase like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyW View Post
    Just a quick post to thank again for pervious comments on here about the superiority of using the double shot basket in preference to the single shot baskets. I was struggling to get nice shots from the single shot baskets, no matter what my grind or amount, they kept coming out overextracted.
    Assuming you're most of the time using the double, then the easiest way to use the single on the occasions it's needed is to leave your grind setting as for the double and adjust the dose downwards for the single:

• Overfill the single basket
    • Tap twice to settle
    • Level the grounds using the doser lid (or a saucer) - this results in a pronounced concave bed in the single basket
    • Tamp lightly - just rest the tamper on the grounds and press with fingertips.
    • Lock & load, pull the shot - you'll find the flow rate is pretty well right, just stop the shot based on colour but it'll be somewhere ~25ml. But if it were too slow, use a larger saucer to level or vice versa...
    Last edited by WiredArabica; 25th August 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: accuracy
    LucyW likes this.

Mine used to get water under the drip tray too when I did a blind flush. It's just the water runs down the face of the machine in the middle and runs down under the tray. It is a design deficiency not a fault. It's easy to see how this happens when you look at the drip tray. I have no idea how Nick comes up with most of his stuff. It's not an 'O' ring problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW1960 View Post
    Mine used to get water under the drip tray too when I did a blind flush. It's just the water runs down the face of the machine in the middle and runs down under the tray. It is a design deficiency not a fault. It's easy to see how this happens when you look at the drip tray. I have no idea how Nick comes up with most of his stuff. It's not an 'O' ring problem.
    Hi

I already did four times real descaling to my BDB and each time all the O-rings and hoses had to been put them back. Last time I didn't put one O-ring well to the hose connected to the brew boiler and I saw exactly the issue what rustic posted here. Also, I almost took apart the whole BDB for studying the design and learning how to maintain it. I did find there is no other path for water coming down from the top of the front panel wall.

I checked my BDB, it had never happened. I did too many times of backflush and auto-clean cycles but I had never seen the issue. For other cases except rustic's, I cannot tell they are problems or not. If rustic's decrtiption was correct, his machine definitely had some leakage issue and I though the possible leaks could be from the location that a hose connects to the brew boiler.

Nick, you have misunderstood what Rustic is describing. He is talking about water hitting the front plate where the fill level is from externally (for example a portafilter wriggle), not from some sort of leakage. Can you please stop telling people to take apart their machines. It voids warranty and is potentially dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZammit View Post
    Nick, you have misunderstood what Rustic is describing. He is talking about water hitting the back plate from externally (for example a portafilter wriggle), not from some sort of leakage. Can you please stop telling people to take apart their machines. It voids warranty and is potentially dangerous.
    As I already said thousand times, I took apart the machine but I didn't force anyone takes apart his machine. It sounds like the warranty is a rigid rule in Aus for a user to investigate it and it bans human's curiosity.

Again, I didn't force anyone to open his machine but I am curious about how you guys are so worry about warranty violations.
    I would suggest you can check other forum such as home-barista.com, you can see there are many users discuss whatever they think the other's issue and also post their machine's internal and even a mod. Is the warranty a big deal for an Australian? This forum is real boring.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZammit View Post
    Nick, you have misunderstood what Rustic is describing. He is talking about water hitting the front plate where the fill level is from externally (for example a portafilter wriggle), not from some sort of leakage. Can you please stop telling people to take apart their machines. It voids warranty and is potentially dangerous.
    If the PF burst-out issue comes in this way, I agree the BDB has a design flaw here and that causes me to hold the PF every time when pulling a shot. Looking from this aspcet, BDD definitely is not a perfect machine,not even closer.

Searching for ideas......

First ever issue with my Dual Boiler......

Minimal to no water flow from the grouphead with any mode (manual,1 or 2 cup). Full water flow from the hot water tap. No issues with the steam. Thought that maybe it had somehow got an airlock but nothing is apparant. Reset everything electronic, tried running the hot water tap etc. The one thing i am getting is a lot of gurgling from the boiler which is what made me think of an airlock.

Machine is regularly water back flushed and chemically backflushed.....

Any ideas.....?

Quote Originally Posted by nickoyang View Post
    The video clip is very enjoying but as for the taking data from the PCB what in the part is worthy to be proud of? To me, it is just a marketing stuff.

Cheers,

Nick
    Revealing 'The Naked Espresso' - Breville Dual Boiler - YouTube

Yes Nick, I agree with you that this was marketing stuff. I had a very good coffee made by Phil at the Aroma festival, decorated by the BDB Naked Espresso art.

Breville has invested a lot of effort and cash in the development of the BDB and they will want to get their money back.

I think it is ok for them to use any method of promotion of their machines as long as it is not illegal, immoral or fattening.

Barry

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    As I already said thousand times, I took apart the machine but I didn't force anyone takes apart his machine. It sounds like the warranty is a rigid rule in Aus for a user to investigate it and it bans human's curiosity.

Again, I didn't force anyone to open his machine but I am curious about how you guys are so worry about warranty violations.
    I would suggest you can check other forum such as home-barista.com, you can see there are many users discuss whatever they think the other's issue and also post their machine's internal and even a mod. Is the warranty a big deal for an Australian? This forum is real boring.
    The primary purpose of this part of the forum is not light entertainment (though I'll grant you it does tend that way sometimes). It's to help people get the best out of their machine. And to many people who don't have lots of $$$ laying around to buy a new machine if they critically damage theirs......yes, warranty is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Revealing 'The Naked Espresso' - Breville Dual Boiler - YouTube

Yes Nick, I agree with you that this was marketing stuff. I had a very good coffee made by Phil at the Aroma festival, decorated by the BDB Naked Espresso art.

Breville has invested a lot of effort and cash in the development of the BDB and they will want to get their money back.

I think it is ok for them to use any method of promotion of their machines as long as it is not illegal, immoral or fattening.

Barry
    Agree with you but I am more calm for such marketing stuff because the money Breville makes from that will not go to my pocket. Of course, someone also takes advantage of this forum for business purposes. I am more neutral to that kind of thing even I am also an owner of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Crocker View Post

First ever issue with my Dual Boiler. Minimal to no water flow from the grouphead......?

Chris,

It looks like you are having the same problem I had a month ago.

Mine was a simple but annoying case of a perished O ring.

Look at my posts here on page 55, replies 2704, 2715 and 2724.

If you live in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, contact your nearest factory outlet for Breville, Kambrook & Philips appliances. Otherwise contact Breville for their nearest authorised repairer.

I went to the Ultimo factory outlet in Sydney where it was fixed within one day. Other people have had similar repairs take 2 weeks or more.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 25th August 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Crocker View Post

First ever issue with my Dual Boiler......

Minimal to no water flow from the grouphead with any mode (manual,1 or 2 cup). Full water flow from the hot water tap. No issues with the steam. Thought that maybe it had somehow got an airlock but nothing is apparant. Reset everything electronic, tried running the hot water tap etc. The one thing i am getting is a lot of gurgling from the boiler which is what made me think of an airlock.

Machine is regularly water back flushed and chemically backflushed.....

Any ideas.....?
    Assuming a reset (Turn off, press and hold 1 and 2 cup buttons, turn on) doesn't work then you have the same issue I had. Breville will need to fix it.

Just bought a bdb and grinder. First double shot was a disaster. Portafilter exploded off sending coffee everywhere. In the excitement I pulled the milk jug away with the steam still going.. That sent milk everywhere too and left burnt milk on the steam wand. My son thought it was hilarious.

Second time was much better and had a decent coffee but the shot started a nice colour then turned pale half way through(That's blonding yeh?) What are some ballpark settings I should use on the grinder? Any suggestions on some beans to try that I can pick up at the local shops(Lane Cove)?

Chris,

It looks like you are having the same problem I had a month ago.

Mine was a simple but annoying case of a perished O ring.

Look at my posts here on page 55, replies 2704, 2715 and 2724.

If you live in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, contact your nearest factory outlet for Breville, Kambrook & Philips appliances. Otherwise contact Breville for their nearest authorised repairer.

I went to the Ultimo factory outlet in Sydney where it was fixed within one day. Other people have had similar repairs take 2 weeks or more.

Barry
    Thanks Barry and David. Once i'd eliminated the obvious i thought it might be a repair job!! You've both put my mind at ease that it shouldn't be anything to serious. I'm in Adelaide and as it turns out i've got a service agent within walking distance of home. Fingers crossed they know what they're doing and i won't be without my beloved for too long!!

Hmm, 3 cases of the same problem.. Let us know how you go Chris and if it was indeed the O ring.

If it is then maybe others might want to get theirs fixed just before warranty runs out. I've personally got 4 years warranty so I'll definately be getting mine replaced just before it runs out just to be on the safe side.

Based on others experiences they might perish every 12 months meaning that the machine will be in a service center every year
    Hopefully breville can come up with a fix for this problem and let all users to get theirs replaced with a more durable one.

In other news: anyone seen this? http://www.current.com.au/2012/07/20...RHWFGKUHT.html

When it comes to promoting its coffee machines, specifically the Dual Boiler BES900, Breville has done a great job engaging with and nurturing the blogosphere. On one website, Coffeesnobs.com.au, the dedicated thread for this machine has received almost 2,700 comments, nearly all positive, and more than 170,000 views.

Make that 190,000+ views Has this thread topped the charts here? It would have to be close.
    Last edited by neofelis; 26th August 2012 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanuen View Post
    What are some ballpark settings I should use on the grinder? Any suggestions on some beans to try that I can pick up at the local shops(Lane Cove)?
    Welcome to the club. I can't tell you where to set your grinder as it will vary with the age of beans, weather and dosing etc. If running too fast turn a click or two finer, if too slow turn coarser. As beans age you will need to go finer.

As far as coffee beans at Lane Cove, I doubt that you will get better than Pablo and Rusty’s on the mall. They roast their beans at Ryde and brew some of the best coffee on the north side of Sydney at their five outlets.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post

Based on others experiences they might perish every 12 months meaning that the machine will be in a service center every year
    I was told that the early O rings used were more likely to perish. I expect that the replacements and those used in newer machines will last a lot longer than 12 months.

When I told Len, the fix it man at Ultimo, what my problem was, he said it would be the O ring and that he had some spares in his tool box, so he must have had a few before.

Barry

OK thanks Barry. Pablo and Rusty's is where I get my coffee but didn't realise they sold beans. I've just been using some toby's estate espresso beans from the green grocer in west Lane Cove. The label says they were roasted 13 days ago. Are they getting a bit old or is that OK?

I think I've got the grinder a bit closer to where I want it now. This morning I'd taken it too fine and had to work back but ended up with a nice coffee this morning. I should be aiming at 40 seconds on the shot clock? If it starts turning watery I should manually stop the shot? I'm a total noob at this but having fun fiddling around with everything.

Nothing wrong with Toby’s Estate. 13 days is just right. Usually coffee is accepted as being at the best between about 1 to 3 weeks, provided it is kept sealed and away from heat and light. Try several different coffees and use what you like. Many of us here roast our own at home with BeanBay greens.

It is usually accepted to aim for between 25 and 30 seconds for a shot. Adjust your grinder as you go.

A good barista may adjust his grinder a dozen times a day.

Barry

But the 25-30 seconds is exclusive of pre-infusion no?

I found a page in the user guide that says 25 to 35 seconds. That's referring to the shot clock reading or just the shot excluding pre infusion?

This all about taste I like my shots tight, I aim for first drop of espresso to fall 12-14 sec on shot clock
    And the whole extraction (45-50mls) to last about 35-40 sec on the shot clock

With beans I use less than this produces sour acidic shots any more and bitter overtones creep in

I would call that a double ristretto (but that is a different debate)

Remember numbers are a small part the taste is most important!

Success! I just made two flat whites with "milk art" on the top with a 33 second extraction. My milk art looked like a wonky heart with leaves on it so far from perfect but it was enough to impress my wife who's been teasing me about my previous attempts.

Hi all I have had my bes900 and smart grinder for 3 weeks. What a great machine!! I am very happy with it. I took a lucky guess at the grind settings and third cup was perfect. Have made 3 to 6 cups a day since and have had no problems with it.
    There are so many good things about this machine that I like, thumbs up for the grinder as well.

Welcome here Squire. Good to see that you are another happy camper.

At the Breville stand at the Aroma Festival a month ago it was said that they had sold about 1,500 BDBs. It would be interesting to know how that compares with other machines.

Barry

Had a quick look today and Ive pulled over 1,100 shots.. I basically worked it out to be about 14kg of coffee. Not too bad for 5 months. Works out to be 220 coffee's a month or an average of 7.3 coffee's a day . I hope that makes me snobby enough

Hahahaha - it makes you well caffinated anyway!!

Hi All

I'm very much a noob here so please bear with.

I've had the BES900 with the smart grinder for about 10 months now. Love them both.

Just wanted to help with the following:
    1. Do I need to service the machine regurlarly? E.g. once or twice a year? Is this covered under warranty? Do I call up breville to organise a service?
    2. When I do the backflush clean using the rubber insert on the portafilter, the soapy water comes out of the portafilter like I was making a coffee, is this normal? I thought the idea of the backflush is to have the soapy water go back up through the filter into a valve and come out of a seperate pipe?
    3. When I was changing the filter recently, I noticed my water filter had a slimey build up on it's walls, this worried me that the machine will need to the internals to be cleaned (descaled?) to prevent this slime building up and causing a problem. However I have read different posts on here re descaling and not sure what the overall consensus is. Should or shouldn't I do it? Will a standard service include a descale?

Thanks!

Random

Quote Originally Posted by Khanuen View Post
    I found a page in the user guide that says 25 to 35 seconds. That's referring to the shot clock reading or just the shot excluding pre infusion?
    It's including I reckon. Excluding would make over extracted coffee for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.a.j.pickering View Post

With beans I use less than this produces sour acidic shots any more and bitter overtones creep in
    Call be crazy but I do 26-30s 30-35ml shots. I drink piccolos and kinda like the little sweet citrus taste coming through the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by random111 View Post
    1. Do I need to service the machine regurlarly? E.g. once or twice a year? Is this covered under warranty? Do I call up breville to organise a service?
    I don't believe Breville have ever recommended this.

2. When I do the backflush clean using the rubber insert on the portafilter, the soapy water comes out of the portafilter like I was making a coffee, is this normal? I thought the idea of the backflush is to have the soapy water go back up through the filter into a valve and come out of a seperate pipe?
    Are you using the dual wall basket? If not, you should be. You can also get a real blind filter - that's what I used for a backflush.

3. When I was changing the filter recently, I noticed my water filter had a slimey build up on it's walls, this worried me that the machine will need to the internals to be cleaned (descaled?) to prevent this slime building up and causing a problem. However I have read different posts on here re descaling and not sure what the overall consensus is. Should or shouldn't I do it? Will a standard service include a descale?
    This probably just means you should wash the water tank with warm soapy water and change the filter. Breville say it should be 3 years or so before a de-scale is needed. Do you know what your water quality is like? De-scaling is not a user task.

Hi All

Random
    Random

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs and the BDB.

It looks like your plastic insert has a hole in it like my original one. I got another one without a hole from Coffee Parts.

When I block the filter with the blind insert, I can built the water pressure to the full 12.5, I turn it off and hear a short hiss when the three way valve releases some water into the drip tray. I do this back wash several times after each coffee session.

I backwash with some bi-carb soda once a day and with Clean Machine detergent once a week.

Whenever I take off the shower screen, it is perfectly clean.

Scale can be a problem especially if you have hard water. The water tank filters supplied by Breville contain ion exchange resin to remove excess scale forming minerals. If your water is on the hard side addition water treatment could be desirable, such as a bench top or under sink filter system to minimise scale formation.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 28th August 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW1960 View Post
    I don't believe Breville have ever recommended this.

Are you using the dual wall basket? If not, you should be. You can also get a real blind filter - that's what I used for a backflush.

This probably just means you should wash the water tank with warm soapy water and change the filter. Breville say it should be 3 years or so before a de-scale is needed. Do you know what your water quality is like? De-scaling is not a user task.
    Hi David

Thanks for your help!

I think I may have been using the single wall baskets, but nevertheless I think I will be buying a blind basket anyway to do it properly, from your post it seems that will be fine?

Not sure what my water quality is. It tastes fine! I had a laugh...no seriously no idea, maybe I should think of getting some sort of filter on my tap?
    When I felt that slime I just washed my water tank with soap and changed the filter.

Good to know I dont need to descale or service in the short term, I do have an extended warranty anyway however I didn't want to have a problem with warranty being knocked back if my machine breaks down in 4 years time because I didn't get the machine serviced along the way.

Random

It looks like your plastic insert has a hole in it like my original one. I got another one without a hole from Coffee Parts.

When I block the filter with the blind insert, I can built the water pressure to the full 12.5, I turn it off and hear a short hiss when the three way valve releases some water into the drip tray. I do this back wash several times after each coffee session.

I backwash with some bi-carb soda once a day and with Clean Machine detergent once a week.

Whenever I take off the shower screen, it is perfectly clean.

Barry
    Hi Barry

Thanks for your help.

Do you mind letting me know what part I should look for on coffee parts? Not sure what to search for and want to get it replaced if in fact it does have a hole in it.

I think I will be getting a blind basket and using that instead, as well as buying a big bottle of coffee machine cleaner to clean machine and portafilters more regular.

Thanks

Random

I think I may have been using the single wall baskets, but nevertheless I think I will be buying a blind basket anyway to do it properly, from your post it seems that will be fine?
    Yes that is totally fine. You can also get an insert like Barry did - but this will also work better if you use the dual wall single basket - I got one of those and used it as well as a full on blind filter for the chemical backflush. Either is fine.

I did use the silicon disc supplied with the hole in it only when I was running the clean machine cycle with the tablet, again with the dual wall single basket.

Not sure what my water quality is. It tastes fine! I had a laugh...no seriously no idea, maybe I should think of getting some sort of filter on my tap?
    The BES900 comes with a resin filter in the tank so it will to some degree soften your water. I'd recommend using a test strip to see what your water hardness is like - you may well need to get a filter. Hard water will cause a lot of scale build up in your machine.

You can also speak to Bernard at Bombora and send him a sample of your water and he will make a recommendation to you. In my case, I have never found that water here ever changed the hardness strip colour - we have very soft water. Bernard analysed my water and said we didn't need to treat it. Simple.

When I felt that slime I just washed my water tank with soap and changed the filter.
    Exactly what I would have done. I also changed the in-tank filter every time I did the clean machine cycle which was more frequently than 2 months.

Good to know I dont need to descale or service in the short term, I do have an extended warranty anyway however I didn't want to have a problem with warranty being knocked back if my machine breaks down in 4 years time because I didn't get the machine serviced along the way.
    Good to look after your machine. Sounds like you are.

Agree with you but I am more calm for such marketing stuff because the money Breville makes from that will not go to my pocket. Of course, someone also takes advantage of this forum for business purposes. I am more neutral to that kind of thing even I am also an owner of the product.
    Nick,

We enjoy having you posting on this site, even if we may not always agree with you.

While your English is very good, you may have some trouble translating our Aus-English as it is different to how the poms and yanks (English and Americans} speak and spell.

In Australia our warranty laws are pretty strict to protect us from shonky, crook. dealers. However should it be obvious that we may have caused damage by doing our own unauthorised “repairs” the warranty may not be valid.

Also Breville has the right to use this site for commercial use as they are one if the 43 fee paying site sponsors who cover the costs of running this site.
    You and I as non-paying members can post our ideas here at no cost to us as long as we don't advertise things in direct competition with the fee paying sponsors.

Barry
    DavidW1960 likes this.

Nick,

We enjoy having you posting on this site, even if we may not always agree with you.

While your English is very good, you may have some trouble translating our Aus-English as it is different to how the poms and yanks (English and Americans} speak and spell.

In Australia our warranty laws are pretty strict to protect us from shonky, crook. dealers. However should it be obvious that we may have caused damage by doing our own unauthorised “repairs” the warranty may not be valid.

Also Breville has the right to use this site for commercial use as they are one if the 43 fee paying site sponsors who cover the costs of running this site.
    You and I as non-paying members can post our ideas here at no cost to us as long as we don't advertise things in direct competition with the fee paying sponsors.

Barry
    Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I am keeping busy recently and might not be able to read all your posts.
    Thank you for all your help.

Cheers,

Nick

I use the silicon disc supplied with the hole in it only when running the clean machine cycle with the tablet, again with the dual wall single basket the rest of the time for back-flushes I leave a drawing pin in the hole and use the regular single basket which is what we normally use.

Is it OK to use a disc without a hole for cleaning cycles? The machine would just pressurize to 10.5 bar in my case and effectively do nothing as all the water released by the pressure relief valve.

Greg

Hi Barry

Thanks for your help.

Do you mind letting me know what part I should look for on coffee parts?

Random
    Take a look for blind filters at;
    Barista Accessories Blind Filters for Back Flushing | Coffee Parts

The 58 mm stainless steel one costs $6.32 while the rubber one costs $3.85 plus postage.
    I got the rubber one which totally blocks any of the BDB filters.

They also have Caffeto Espresso Clean powder at:
    Barista Accessories Cafetto Coffee Machine and Grinder Cleaning Products | Coffee Parts

Barry.

I am just another happy camper. A good share of my happiness comes from the dramatic improvement in coffee quality as I learn (a lot from Coffesnobs), practice and become more skilled. I attended the level one of a barista training course last night. I founds some bits very informative. It was also fun to play with the big machines. And well, the teacher said the BDB is great. This morning coffee was better and wife very content.

I have a few questions coming from what we did on the course:

1) we used huge triple filter baskets to make two espresso shots. I think they must hold up to 30g. The coffee came out pretty slowly, with an almost gooey consistency and a stripy crema. We cut the shot at first sight of blonding. Shots were very short, 20ml at most, and intense and very enjoyable, excellent when milk was properly added. Is there a triple filter basket for the BDB? I imagine a triple would go in the portafilter is the black plastic thing is removed. By the way, what is the function of the it? Is it there to make cleaning easier?

2) to clean the machines we used Cafetto powder in a blind filter. The soapy water appeared in the drip tray. That would not happen in the BDB. When I run a chemical backflush with the rubber disk in the dual wall filter the water comes out through the portafilter spouts (my rubber disk does not have a hole). So, a couple of questions. Would you recommend Cafetto powder as a substitute for the tablets? Is it a recommended practice to backflush the BDB with a blind filter?

Hi All,
    Wondering if someone can help with my dilemma.
    I seem to be pulling quite bitter shots from my BDB regardless of the beans being used.
    I'm on to my third batch of beans, the one I'm currently on is beanbay espresso wow.
    I've adjusted grind size, tamping and dosing to what is consistently giving me 9 bar pressure and a shot of around 35 seconds which starts around the 9 second mark.
    My drink of choice is a strong long black.
    What could I be doing that would give bitterness to my coffee shots?

Cheers in advance.

Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast