coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Roz

Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    mods - feel free to delete this but I feel with all the other dual boiler threads getting around there needs to be one that ends it all, a thread for people who have purchased the machine and for people looking to find out user experiences to make a decision on purchasing one.

A few people already have their units and are already pulling good shots.

So please post your thoughts, experiences and overall use of the machine, whether you will be sticking to the stock Breville baskets, steaming, testing different pre-infusion etc?

When I receive mine I will be playing around with the stock basket that comes with it and comparing it to the Synesso ridgeless I have and the 18g VST Ill have soon.

Its not long till all the people who put in for the early adopters receive their units so there will be quite a lot of information floating about after we all give them a decent run in.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences.
    thewpguy likes this.

Re: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

As noted in another thread Ive had mine for just over a day now. Havent really had the chance to play around with it too much. I wanted to dial it in with all the defaults first. Let me say that even with all the defaults this machine produces a great espresso. I mainly drink ristrettos and long black and Im more than happy.

Ive foamed milk for my wifes hot chocolate and was amazed with how easy it was to produce great microfoam. As others have said it probably doesnt have the same pressure as some other machines out there but the steam is very clean and dry.

Ill be mucking around with preinfusion and temperatures over the weekend. I have some VST baskets but will leave those until I understand the machine a bit better.

Danny

Picked up mine this morning from Chris (Talk Coffee) and have just finished setting it up.

First thoughts:
    1. As Chris notes, empty the paraphernalia out of the water container before filling with water or your coffee might taste funny :-)

2. Warms up fast.

3. Comes with dual walled baskets for pre-ground coffee. Funky. Into the drawer with those.

4. Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others regarding the value of this thing before I rip it out.

Ran through a few water flushing cycles as instructed on the sheet - yes, read the manual.

Pulled a shot of my standard random bean blend produced via popcorn roaster. I dont have the right coffee language or terms to adequately describe coffee, however the result can best be summed up by my wifes reaction - Wow!

My Gaggia Classic has served me faithfully for 10 years, but this really is a step up. Very happy.

Cheers.

4. Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom. I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others regarding the value of this thing before I rip it out.

Its meant to act as a insulator for the coffee if you havent bothered to preheat the PF.
    So if youre making an effort to ensure everything is heated and ready to go before you knock a shot out - then i would recommend removing it. Its also easier to keep the PF clean without it.

Cheers, B

Nav

Just wondering, for anyone who has gotten their pre-ordered bdb 900 yet. Has anyone taken a look to see how difficult it would be to replace the steam wand with a cool touch steam wand? Its one of the mods Im interested in doing eventually.

I picked up my Dual Boiler and Smart Grinder from Dennis (Cuppacoffee) this morning. Everything is working well. I just have to get used to the correct dosing etc. It is great with the instant steam and hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C504C4C5053533F0 link=1312978609/3#3 date=1313208266
    Portafilter has a plastic insert in the bottom.
    I thought that the plastic insert in the group handle was to stop coffee gunk building up and giving nasty tastes. With it in, the quad basket I got from BeanBay wonít fit. I may wait until the naked groups appear. It should fit then.

Barry

The guys from Breville had removed the plastic insert from the machines used at the launch.

When the demo machine was at the shop, I only ever needed to rinse those portafilters with hot water (no chemicals) and they came up like new.

It will be the first and probably only mod I do when I get one for home. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 3325202031333F36363535500 link=1312978609/6#6 date=1313219647
    The guys from Breville had removed the plastic insert from the machines used at the launch.

When the demo machine was at the shop, I only ever needed to rinse those portafilters with hot water (no chemicals) and they came up like new.

It will be the first and probably only mod I do when I get one for home.* ;)
    Agreed Den,

All but one of our machines have now been collected and are in the hands of the new owners or are in transit.

I am looking forward to reading the findings of our resident CSers. Im also confident that it should silence and clear the agendas of some very vocal cynics as well! :-?

Dennis, I hope that you have caught up on your sleep.

Den was up at 4am getting the BDBís ready for delivery yesterday. They had been delivered to his shop late Friday.

I picked mine up just after 8am.

I am now consistently getting a great brew out of mine. This machine takes the guesswork and a lot of the hit and miss out of making good coffee that you have with lesser machines.

It will now be even harder for me to drink coffee away from home now, other than at a handful of cafťs.* I may have to drink more water, tea, beer and red when out.

It will be interesting to see another independent review of this machine.

There is the comprehensive one by Mark Prince at Coffee Geek:

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/brevilledualboiler/details

Perhaps someone could lend a machine to Andy for his comments.

I canít give an independent review as I am now a total convert and a happy owner.

Barry

Picked mine up yesterday from Dennis at Cuppacoffee. So far I am very happy with mine.

Went straight to my VST 18g basket. Had to play with dose for a while but think I have it now. Am getting amazing shots now - have managed to pull three absolutely heavenly shots.

Am using manual, with the preset pressure of 60% for preinfusion. Have been preinfusing for 5-7 seconds so far. Havent started playing with temperature yet, as I want to learn to get a consistent, good shot first.

Steam is disappointing in power, but then you cannot help but get really good microfoam.

Am using it with my Fiorenzato Doge grinder. Although I got the package with a Breville Smart Grinder - it is my backup/holidays grinder now and Fio remains on duty at home.

I must say, coming from my Pavoni lever where the whole routine must be based around being ready to pull a shot when the machine is at temp - not before and not after - it is an amazing luxury to just walk up to the machine and pull a shot at perfect temp whenever I want!

The only problem Ive had so far is trying to not get over caffeinated.

Will try to leave a better review of the machine once Ive got more use under the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1C3F2C2C27011A2B303D3F305E0 link=1312978609/8#8 date=1313300131
    Dennis, I hope that you have caught up on your sleep.

Den was up at 4am getting the BDBís ready for delivery yesterday. They had been delivered to his shop late Friday.
    I am one of those customers waiting on a delivery from Dennis and really appreciate his efforts in getting the machines out after their arrival at his shop. I cant help but wonder whether he was up at 4am due to his consuming way too much caffeine after "bench testing" the BES900s prior to shipping* ;D

Lets put this to rest (pun intended) and I can then leave this thread for actual owners to comment.

Due to some confusion, I only received 6 of the first 15 machines on Friday at 5.15. I hope to receive the other 9 on Wednesday and more to follow.

I actually woke up at 2.30 and couldnt get back to sleep, thinking, oh, what if one of the machines doesnt work, so yes, I was at the shop by 4 unpacking and testing.

Now, over to you...I know the machines work, and know that many new owners will be migrating from other equipment. I would be very interested to hear (though understand its difficult not to be biased), how the Dual Boiler compares with what you had - functionality and taste comparisons in particular.

Cheers (early night tonight)
    Den

Quote Originally Posted by 7F5E555552483B0 link=1312978609/11#11 date=1313313878
    Now, over to you...I know the machines work, and know that many new owners will be migrating from other equipment.* I would be very interested to hear (though understand its difficult not to be biased), how the Dual Boiler compares with what you had - functionality and taste comparisons in particular.
    and some pics/vids as I am still waiting for mine to be available I guess the above post explains it and stops me feeling the need to email den to find out when it is coming

Cant wait to see/hear/read some CSsss reviews of the BES900! Can someone please chuck a sickie and spend a day with their new baby already!

Quote Originally Posted by 727A757974746F731B0 link=1312978609/10#10 date=1313308860
    I am one of those customers waiting on a delivery from Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by 7F69357A3571356B7278707E6972757C1B0 link=1312978609/12#12 date=1313317788
    I am still waiting for mine to be available
    I hope that all you early adopters get your machines on the kitchen benches very soon so that you have a chance to drink the nectar of the gods.

I think you will find that the wait will have been worth it. Itís been a long journey with a great ending.

Barry

Roz

Well I should of had the machine today but a major stuff up with the courier meaning the machine only left melbourne today >:( so hopefully by wed / thur Ill have it.

There goes a waste of a rec day I took to take delivery seeing as its too large to get delivered to work.
    greengarden likes this.

Gíday all,

I really donít feel like I can offer too much compared to the more experienced CS members but thought Iíd comment on my experience with the BES900 so far. Please forgive me if it comes across as basic.

Packaging
    Excellent. Very similar to the BES860 that came before it. Everything arrived in tip top condition with an easy to read instruction booklet that is well thought out.

Initial impressions
    Very impressive! When I was setting it up I couldnít help but notice how much more sturdy the portafilter feels compared to the previous model. Same can be said (though slightly less so) for the tamper. Specifically on the tamper - it actually fits the basket this time =D On the BES860 there was a good mm of space around the edge of the basket.

The water tank filling mechanism at the top of the machine is incredibly handy, especially in my situation where the microwave is situated directly above the machine.
    The steam lever initially feels a little on the cheap side, however in operation I found it very smooth and is certainly a pleasure to use compared to the dial Iím used to. Side note: steam on demand is legendary!

The machine is also very quiet compared to the BES860. Not having to listen to the machine flush/purge the thermoblock after each use is heavenly.

Initial shots
    Took me a little longer than expected to Ďdial it iní and finally produce a decent shot. Iíll happily put that down to my lack of experience and the left over coffee I was using. When I switched to the fresh beans Ė wow Ė far easier =) By the second day I was getting beautiful extractions of about 30-35 seconds (shot clock is another feature Iím a fan of).

Operation of the steam wand Iím still trying to get used to. Going from the 1 hole tip to 3 has been an experience ;) Iím enjoying the speed at which the milk heats up but just need to experiment a little more on positioning to get the Ďhissí right. Iím sure Iíll get there over the coming days. Looking forward to getting back to the same quality microfoam I was managing on the BES860.

Overall
    Absolutely loving it! =D

Question
    In the manual it instructs you to not descale the machine. This Iím a little curious about. I thought that was standard/recommended practice for all coffee machines? Could anyone shed some light on that?

I spoke to Phil at Breville regarding descaling. He confirmed there is no way for the user to descale the machine at present. Youll have to take it back to a service centre. However, the built-in filter should slow down the need to descale.

Quote Originally Posted by 5A54595B534C5D59380 link=1312978609/16#16 date=1313383071
    Question
    In the manual it instructs you to not descale the machine. This Iím a little curious about. I thought that was standard/recommended practice for all coffee machines? Could anyone shed some light on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B59564B674B574D5B51380 link=1312978609/17#17 date=1313383670
    I spoke to Phil at Breville regarding descaling. He confirmed there is no way for the user to descale the machine at present. Youll have to take it back to a service centre. However, the built-in filter should slow down the need to descale.
    Hello FxdTea,

The advice in the quote above is correct. The machine will actually recommend it be taken in for a descale when it is required - its a long time before you will need that.

We do recommend the use of the water filters supplied by Breville. They have made these available at a very low cost to encourage their use and frequent replacement.

Great review!

Sweet no worries - thanks gents.

Ive just been speaking with Phil from Breville and informed that the "message" I referred to isnt part of this generation of machines (maybe one day).

Depending on the quality of water going into the machine, and regularity of filter changes, and amount of usage, a descale will be required once the machine is between 3 and 4 years old.

Apologies for having misinformed yall.
    jdaniels likes this.

Itís great to hear from you FxdTea.

I too have upgraded from a BES860 which I have had for about 3 years. I thought my 860 gave good coffee, but the 900 is so much better.

The 860 is still working well so I have passed it on to a friend.

The 860 does so much wheezing and purging that I often let the drip tray overflow. The 900 has a much more visible yellow flag that sticks up out of the drip tray when full.

The steam lever on the 900 works on a ball valve, while many other machines use a needle valve. They tends to leak.

Barry

Roz

Will all retailers be stocking the replacement filters?

I assume you can clean the shower screen yourself by unscrewing it with the hex bolt?

and can you use manual to backflush instead of using the pre-programmed cleaning mode? such as a nightly water backflush?

Quote Originally Posted by 75545F5F5842310 link=1312978609/18#18 date=1313384089
    The machine will actually recommend it be taken in for a descale when it is required - its a long time before you will need that.
    I read some very interesting comments elsewhere on this issue. FWIW, Id argue that there are not too many people with the time nor expertise to successfully, safely and correctly descale a HX machine, letalone a dual boiler machine. Its not just a case of chuck some descaler into the tank, Silvia style.

Users will be able to backwash their machine and I know that we CSers consider water quality- as it influences shot quality. Id expect to see very slow scale accumulation in most machines. My machines, Breville included receive their water via a Brita C150, so high water quality is a given.

Routine maintenance is fine, but I for one am not surprised at all that Breville consider descaling to be a service item. I see no problem with backflushing.

So, a question re backflush.

As a snob I intend to do a little more than average to keep my machine clean. I am not at all keen to only do a cleaning cycle each time it is due.

So, can I backflush regularly just using manual? Or do I need to run the complete cleaning cycle?

Backflushing should be fine. With general home use, Id only use water on a daily basis and chemical every 2 or 3 weeks (again, dependent on usage).

Cleaning the screen - the manual recommends to just use a cloth and run some water through it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F6E796061666D60760F0 link=1312978609/24#24 date=1313390810
    So, a question re backflush.

As a snob I intend to do a little more than average to keep my machine clean. I am not at all keen to only do a cleaning cycle each time it is due.

So, can I backflush regularly just using manual? Or do I need to run the complete cleaning cycle?
    Regular back flushing is fine and to be honest we recommend it.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6B64637E62690C0 link=1312978609/22#22 date=1313389291
    Will all retailers be stocking the replacement filters?

I assume you can clean the shower screen yourself by unscrewing it with the hex bolt?

and can you use manual to backflush instead of using the pre-programmed cleaning mode? such as a nightly water backflush?
    You can buy replacement water filters through our customer service centre

http://www.breville.com.au/parts-accessories/beverages/espresso/replacement-charcoal-water-filters.html

The machine comes with 7 filters, so thats 14months supply for regular use.

We recommend just clear-water back-flushing after each coffee making session. This reduces the build-up of rancid coffee oils in the coffee paths & helps maintain coffee flavour. Empty & rinse the drip tray at the same time. Wipe the dispersion screen, rinse & wipe the porta-filter & coffee basket. I would use cafetto or similar espresso cleaner every 2 or 3 kgs, again to keep your coffee tasting the way it should. You can drop the dispersion screen & soak this with the group handle and coffee basket in espresso cleaner for 10-20 mins to remove rancid coffee oils from places you cant see to clean. We supply an allen key for this purpose.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil,

As the machine doesnt have a valve it might help a few people if you gave brief directions of the clear-water back-flush process.

Ill see if I can record a video of it next weekend.

Cheers,
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by 6476796448647862747E170 link=1312978609/28#28 date=1313448075
    As the machine doesnt have a valve
    Che? It has lots of valves. If youre referring to an Over Pressure Valve (OPV) then yes, it has one of these too.

I meant the valve that lets you flush the water out during a back flush. Not sure what its called sorry. Does it have one of those? I thought it used the silicon disc during the cleaning cycle to be able to flush the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E3C332E022E32283E345D0 link=1312978609/28#28 date=1313448075
    As the machine doesnt have a valve it might help a few people if you gave brief directions of the clear-water back-flush process.
    Im pretty sure the machine has a 3 way valve doesnt it?

EDIT: Slightly OT but:

an OPV and a 3 way valve - are they the same thing? I thought when you put the blind filter in it forced the pressure up which activated the OPV and then flushed the water through that part of the system?

Yes Danny, it has an OPV. There is an expalantion of its operation at: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

Just scroll down to the "Coffee College Section" and look for "How a Pressure Relief Valve Works".
    csutak40 likes this.

Oh cool I wasnt aware it had another outlet. Any chance you can you tell me where it is? Does the water go into the tray?

Hi CSers, I have just got my BES900 and BCG800 with 500g of chris shed shandy beans.

My question is i have been pullin a few shots and i have been having the coffee cake getting stuck to the shower screen when i remove the PF.

I would assume that i am dosing the PF with to much grounds but i have the BCG800 backed off to -4 on the amount toggle and coffee grounds are below the mark in the basket when i tamp.

What am i doing wrong? :-[

Site Sponsor

Hi Lenny

Youre not doing anything wrong, so long as your coffee is tasting OK. On some longer extractions, the cake seems to get stuck to the dispersion screen as there is some negative pressure being created when the 3 way solenoid opens to the drain as the solenoid is inverted. This is more pronounced with the 900 baskets as they have quite a taper & the puck releases very easily. If you switch to baskets with more parallel sides like the Synesso ridgeless or Marzocco or VST, then this doesnt happen at all. Use the cap on the supplied tamper as a guide to dose height.

Cheers, Phil

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 7567687559756973656F060 link=1312978609/33#33 date=1313451804
    Oh cool I wasnt aware it had another outlet. Any chance you can you tell me where it is? Does the water go into the tray?
    Hi Danny

The BDB has 2 valves.

1. OPV, Over Pressure Valve. This limits maximum pressure being delivered to the PF when the pump is operating. Pressure in excess of its setting is re-circulated back to the water tank.

2. 3 way solenoid. This allows pressurised water from the pump to be delivered to the PF when closed & the pump is running, then when the pump is stopped, it opens and allows the pressure built up in the PF during extraction to flow to the drip tray. This allows you to remove the PF without their being any pressure present. Cheaper machines dont have this valve, so when you open the PF, residual extraction pressure can be present & wet coffee can spray out........

Cheers, Phil

Thanks again Phil,

Whilst I was aware of the OPV, I wasnt aware of the 3 way solenoid, or that there was an outlet to the drip tray. That makes this exercise much easier :)

Danny

My new BES900 arrived this morning from cuppacoffee ;D
    Luckily for me I work from home so no need to take a day off from the office.

I had fun unpacking and getting it set up. There was a bit of a worry at first - the machine was turned on and stopped heating at around 42C. It went up very slowly from there and 30 minutes later was only at 53C and seemed stuck at 53/54. I turned it off and then on again and it heated up to 93C within a minute or so. Not sure if I should be too concerned as it *seems* ok now.

Anyway, pulled my first shot (bear in mind Im new at this). I used to have a cheap Breville $150 espresso machine and a reasonable grinder and had to use the double basket to get a decent strength cup. Now I have a Macap 4D (micro stepped) which I acquired from a friend and the new BES900 and matching Bogav tamper. What a difference. I used the double basket dosed with about 16g. It looked like too little since the basket wasnt near full so I added more. And then tamped to just below the rim and found out I couldnt get the portafilter locked in because there was too much coffee. Yeah I know, Im a noob.

So I tried again and hit the double cup button. 35 seconds later plus some time for steaming the milk and I had a very nice cup. Im sure I will learn to do better but it was way stronger in flavour than what Ive made at home before and very smooth in taste. Im impressed. And Ill be sticking to single shots too. Im not sure exactly how to determine what I need to improve but if I can pull a first shot which is better than what Im used to then Im happy so far.

I got the package with the BCG800 grinder included. I havent opened it yet. Should I stick with my 2nd hand Macap 4D or try the smart grinder?

Some people have said the steam pressure is lower than they expected? I found it to be excellent but then again I am comparing to a very cheap machine I had previously.

Cleaning - earlier in the thread someone said to get some cafetto cleaner. Which one? Theres a few different ones on their website and also milk frother cleaners etc. Plus the BES900 comes with some tablets. Anyone recommend what I should use? Seems like at the least I need to get some milk frother cleaner?

Okay...so how do I backflush water only using the supplied disc? I can only seem to get the pressure up to 2 bar using the disc, and then water freely flows through the little hole (that the cleaning tablet would block if I were running cleaning cycle)

Do I need a blind filter basket?

Quote Originally Posted by 1E2F382120272C21374E0 link=1312978609/39#39 date=1313463114
    Okay...so how do I backflush water only using the supplied disc? I can only seem to get the pressure up to 2 bar using the disc, and then water freely flows through the little hole (that the cleaning tablet would block if I were running cleaning cycle)

Do I need a blind filter basket?
    I was going to ask the same thing in my previous post but forgot. Breville seem to have included everything else with the machine so if one needs a blind basket, youd think they would have included one?

Well technically you dont *need* a to run a clear-water back-flush. This is a little extra step for snobs to get the best possible coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B737C707D7D667A120 link=1312978609/38#38 date=1313462935
    found out I couldnt get the portafilter locked in because there was too much coffee.
    Wally, I had the same trouble overdosing the basket as it looked to be half empty. I have now worked out the right dose. and have it programmed into my Smart Grinder.

I got the matching Bogav tamper from Dennis. It seems to fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B737C707D7D667A120 link=1312978609/38#38 date=1313462935
    There was a bit of a worry at first - the machine was turned on and stopped heating at around 42C.
    Mine was also slow warming up the first time. I think it was while it was filling up the boilers. It has been ok since.

someone said to get some cafetto cleaner.
    There were a couple of tablets with the machine. Dennis included 100g of Cafetto Coffee machine Cleaner in with the deal. You should be able to pick it up arround and about.

At the start of making coffee, I allways do a short flush throught the group to heat everything up including the cup

Enjoy the great coffee. I must go and have one now. >:(

Barry

Site Sponsor

Heres a brief demo of back-flushing your machine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrevilleAustralia

I use a dual wall single filter basket (yes, finally found a use for them!) & the supplied silicon cleaning disk. It builds adequate pressure for the process.

The first part opening & closing the group handle with the group running just flashes water around the grouphead seal & the bayonnet ramps.

The second part back-flushes the coffee paths of rancid coffee oils & smaller coffee particles in the coffee path.

Cheers, Phil
    gilzero likes this.

Awesome, thanks for the video Phil - appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 173427272C0A11203B36343B550 link=1312978609/42#42 date=1313471104
    Wally wrote Today at 12:48pm:
    There was a bit of a worry at first - the machine was turned on and stopped heating at around 42C.

Mine was also slow warming up the first time. I think it was while it was filling up the boilers. It has been ok since.
    In my case, the boilers had already filled I think because the water level in the tank had dropped by half and the water noises had stopped. When I turned the machine off and on again, the level in the tank didnt drop any but it seemed to start warming properly. So I do think it was some sort of glitch but seems better now luckily.

Hi all,

My BES900s pressure gauge is showing that it is brewing at over 12 bars, which is somewhat unnerving.

I would just like to ask other owners what their gauge is showing, and how reliable do you think this gauge is?

Quote Originally Posted by 392B253D3C35520 link=1312978609/46#46 date=1313494871
    My BES900s pressure gauge is showing that it is brewing at over 12 bars, which is somewhat unnerving.

I would just like to ask other owners what their gauge is showing, and how reliable do you think this gauge is?
    have you seen Phils post on the other thread

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312803866/24#24

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 737B747875756E721A0 link=1312978609/38#38 date=1313462935
    There was a bit of a worry at first - the machine was turned on and stopped heating at around 42C. It went up very slowly from there and 30 minutes later was only at 53C and seemed stuck at 53/54
    Whats happening here is an air lock in the espresso boiler is preventing it from filling completely so it wont heat up to 93. If you open the hot water tap during filling, but only for a short period, the air lock is released & the boiler fills completely & heats to 93. A small PITA with no real out of the box solution other than a flyer..........

Cheers, Phil

Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast