Thread: Silvia Pressure Gauge

Silvia Pressure Gauge

Thought Id share this as I havent seen it posted here anyway. Just added a little pressure gauge to the body of my Silvia and I am really pleased with how it turned out.
    Was going for the OEM look and think I pulled it off* ;D

The intention was to calibrate the machine with a portafilter gauge, however looking at the options I decided to integrate it into the unit. I believe Rancilio should have done so in the first place.

Re: Silvia Pressure Gauge

Wow!* Nice pimped Silvia you have there.* I think the integrated PID also looks the goods, rather than just tacking it on the side as an afterthought.
    It seems that Lelit is a much more progressive company than Rancilio when it comes to making changes to their machines and bringing out new models.* Would be nice to see Rancilio try the same!

Looks cool. There would be quite a few people interested in that mod.

WhiteWithOne sometimes people steer clear of integrating the PID into the body of the machine due to heat leakage from the boiler affecting the PID. The other alternative is installing it into the base of the machine specifically the bottom right corner.

In regards to the PID, the boiler has been insulated to help with the heat. Has been running internally for a year now with no problems so far. :)

Nice work!

Where is the pressure source for the gauge?

Cheers

sweet! is that an after market steam knob as well? (dont know my Silvias).

as far as I know the boiler pressure is slightly different, although directly proportional, to the group pressure.

The T piece is currently sitting between the pump and the boiler, just before the OPV.

I was curious to know what the difference would be between having the measurement taken where I have it and compared to at the group head.
    Currently my reading is sitting at 9.7 bar. Might try to obtain a gauge that reads out at the group head so I can compare the differences as I am curious myself. Though I thought the OPV would be the control and the variance shouldnt be that great.

The steam knob is the V3 one on the current line of Silvias, mine was bought back in mid 2009 when they started rolling them out.

before the OPV? So it will potentially read much higher than extraction?

New steam knob looks much nicer than the old black plastic thing.

I read in Gregs pressure gauge thread here that before he had the bleed valve it was reading 0.25 bar higher compared to when it was going into a dead end.
    Since the way I tested was using a blind basket, the only exit left was through the OPV, so my guess assumption would be that there is little variance in a closed loop system by going on what others have discovered.

Might get a hold of a portafilter gauge and compare the differences :)

The gauge looks nice, but why do you need it? Doesnt it just tell you the pressure that the OPV is set at?

Unless you had a puck through which the water flowed easily, the gauge will just go to 9.7 bar (or whatever) and stay there. No? I guess its nice to know that the OPV is set correctly, but do they get out of adjustment regularly?

Gonzo

Correct, it will only be displaying a max of what the OPV is set to as any over pressure should be vented by the OPV back to the water tank.

I guess for me it was more of a "looks awesome" factor and a bit of "because I can" thinking* ;D

Also since I was going to make some sort of pressure gauge to check my OPV and I am heavy resisting upgrading the Silvia I thought this would keep me happy and stop me pulling out my wallet too soon.

But with that all said I guess there is room for me to play around in regards to my tamping as I can experiment with a lighter tamp and see if the pressure drops, this way I guess I can tune my tamping pressure and learn to be consistent. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 1A25133225253E343C14570 link=1328170366/10#10 date=1328442111
    I guess for me it was more of a "looks awesome" factor and a bit of "because I can" thinking

I fully understand! And Ive just realised that in the back of your mind you must have been setting yourself up for when you upgrade your pump pressure control to get pre-infusion. THATs when youll REALLY need the gauge.

Gonzo

Excellent job, MrDerrickC!
    This is exactly what I have planned for my new Silvia as well. Good to see that youve done it and it looks so good. :-)

Junior Member Personality_Juice's Avatar

Nice work!
    Ive been looking for a gauge like this - where did you pick it up?

How did you cut the holes for the pressure gauge and pid?

Im about to do the same mod.

i know it's an old thread, but it's the nicest pressure gauge i've seen for the Silvia.
    can you share more details on this? should only the front plate be drilled or the inner casing too (for the gauge to fit in), etc.

Replying here as I've received a couple of questions in regards to this mod.

It's a 2" Wika Pressure Gauge bought from online store "PID Silvia", not sure if I can post links however a google search will return it. It comes with all the plumbing associated to get it working with the Silvia.

In terms of cutting, I believe it's only the front cosmetic panel that is impacted. It was awhile ago and I do not recall, I think though the position down there has enough clearance between the centre main structure of the Silvia and the front panel. The Silvia is now in storage as I've since upgraded so I will need to bring it out to recall how it was all done.

thank you for replying.
    i would be greatly thankful if you could check, because from the pdf detailing the pressure gauge it says the depth of it would be 54mm, but the space between the front panel and the centre main structure is just 35mm..

thanks agian