coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pcrussell50
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Breville bes900 bdb err2

Breville bes900 bdb err2

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Came home tonight to find my three week old machine still on and showing err2 on the display. Buttons non responsive and had to power off then on to get it going. These codes should be in the manual.
    So whats err2?

Re: Breville bes900 bdb err2

No idea what Err2 means Im afraid. Id say its time to give Breville a call in the morning. They may ask you to help further diagnose by doing something like what Phil describes below so may help to be by the machine when you call. Lets us know how you go, Id also be interested to know what it means.

Info on Err1 from Phil posted on another forum.
    http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/560878#560878 This code just shows there was potenially a general error. Please follow this procedure to get more detailed info: With the power cord plugged IN & turned ON at the wall socket. Machine OFF Press & hold IN all four buttons simultaneously, Menu, Arrow Down, Arrow Up, Exit. While holding them all down, press the Power button The LCD will now be in the Service Mode There will be a single, double or even triple digit displayed. This is the number of shots over 7 secs, divided by 10. So if you had 12 on the LCD, this would mean you have pulled 120 shots longer than 7 secs.Press the Menu buttonYou will then see a four digit display XX:XX make a note of the 2 digits to the left & the right of the colon.Let me know what these numbers are & I can tell you if you have a problem or not. Press the Exit button at any time to exit service mode & go back to startup mode. Cheers, Phil

Re: Breville bes900 bdb err2

Logged a call with breville and theyve asked Phil to call me. Will report back with the result

still waiting

and still waiting. It hasn't happened since but I'm not encouraged by Brevilles lack of response. I'll let it go unless it happens again

Site Sponsor
    If you PM me your state & suburb I'll give you the details of your nearest BDB service centre.

Cheers, Phil

I'm on the central coast NSW - but the machine has not repeated the issue so I'll leave it for now

Hi Phil,

I've been getting quite a few Err1 and now Err2 codes showing from my BDB.. I'll see what info I can get from the Post from Argus above, but is there a BDB service centre in the ACT if I need to take it to one?

Did either of you get answers with regards to what the Err1 or 2 messages mean? or what triggered it? was a solution found or was it simply replacing the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlyn View Post
    Did either of you get answers with regards to what the Err1 or 2 messages mean? or what triggered it? was a solution found or was it simply replacing the machine?
    Have you tried resetting the software by pressing the one and two cup button at the same time and then the ON button?
    This could settle the matter - please keep us informed.

err2 has been happening to some of the blokes on CG with XL versions too. the cause remains a mystery. interesting that earlier in this thread, phil offered to help swamprat "offline". good customer service, to be sure, but leaves the rest of us still wondering what the cause might be. was it you johnlyn who talked to the service rep in canada and they did not know the cause either?

i've had my 900xl for 11 months and not had this. some folks on CG are speculating, (but it is still no more than that), that either outright water from a microleak, or condensation is bollocksing up the electronics.

i wonder if phil and the engineers are at work studying this and he doesn't want to start any false rumors (rumours )until the cause is specifically pinned down? i reckon if were running a large public company like breville, i'd do the same thing.

-peter
    RaymondParker likes this.

Breville Canada has been fantastic at honouring the warrentyand in so doing have replaced my machine on three occaisions. I have had the Err1 message come up on each machine over the 8 months I have owned a BDB. On this last machine I got the Err2 code, and then Err1 on two occaisions (after a clear water backflush just before powering off). Breville canada do not know what the codes mean but have been advised that if they come up the machine needs to be replaced (even though the machines kept on working properly after unplugging ad replugging). I recognize that I am unique in having this problem occure on consecutive machines (4). I have had my electrical looked into and all power related options appear to be on track. no other appliences are suffering. The match with my home is not working...

Something is triggering something and an Err message is produced. In addition the case on CS, there is also a post on CG where Phil has helped one of the members but no results are going out there to provide understanding of the issue. I just want to understand and resolve, if Brevile is being scretive then that's their perogative, but I think it would be better PR to ackowledge their efforts.

I should add that the manager I spoke with (there are no techs or engineers in canad that I am aware of), was surprised that the machine would even work at all once those messages have come up.

I have had the Err1 message come up on each machine over the 8 months I have owned a BDB. On this last machine I got the Err2 code, and then Err1 on two occaisions (after a clear water backflush just before powering off). Breville canada do not know what the codes mean but have been advised that if they come up the machine needs to be

As I have mentioned on CG. The technician I had on the phone from the German service center did advise not to "back-flush" without pill. He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot (probably he meant via the three wave solenoid release system)

He recommends:
    - soft "Phil's Wiggle" after each use
    - to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill.
    - even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool.
    - Put it back.
    - then go chemical

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondParker View Post
    As I have mentioned on CG. The technician I had on the phone from the German service center did advise not to "back-flush" without pill. He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot (probably he meant via the three wave solenoid release system)

He recommends:
    - soft "Phil's Wiggle" after each use
    - to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill.
    - even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool.
    - Put it back.
    - then go chemical
    I did get that and have since stopped the clear water backflush, thanks for that. That was just an example of what occured most recently, and in reality, it would be like pulling an additonal shot since there is a hole in the cleaning disc and pressure never goes beyond 7 bars. The Err2 and the Err1's on he other machines were not necessarily asscociated with a backflush, just the last two times on this machine. As you can see however, this is still a mystery: what is the special mechanism? most machines need a backflush for the threeway solenoid (it is important to know why in order to know how to maintain well; what does the Err1 mean?

Thanks Raymond for finding someone with some information to share.

I wonder if this technician thinks "clear water backflush" means running the built in cleaning program with the blind (which would be overkill after each session), instead of the common usage of the term.
    In any case, that's pretty poor advice for him to have given but probably understandable if he isn't a coffee person. The last part of his comment is a joke - the "built in mechanism for cleaning after each shot" would be cleaning itself with dirty water!

That is a good point because a full clean cycle without the pill would be "overkill". But maybe there is some mechanism that cleans to solonoid? I doubt it though because Phil McKight is proposing a clear water backflush. But maybe there is and if there is and there is secrecy around it then what can a consumer do.

Evidence is hardening, that the all Err codes are completely unrelated to any mechanical faults or failures within the hardware of the espresso machine. They are either showing a software bug code or error messages evidencing chip failures in certain chip areas.
    Today a machine broke down because of a faulty magnet switch - the error code of the machine still showed 00:00

Evidence is hardening, that the all Err codes are completely unrelated to any mechanical faults or failures within the hardware of the espresso machine. They are either showing a software bug code or error messages evidencing chip failures in certain chip areas.
    Today a machine broke down because of a faulty magnet switch - the error code of the machine still showed 00:00
    Software issues have now made me gun shy of computer controlled machines until the suppliers and the market sort this stuff out in the long run. it is the way of the future, but for now I have opted for the Mini Vivaldi over the Dream T to stay clear of computor errorsfor now.

On the otherhand, if I could only control the parameters of my machine through my iPhone..... then we're talking!

This is a silly assumption. You've no idea what that field is for or what it's intended to report.

And what was the fault with the switch? If it's stuck on, likely the machine is being told it's out of water - that's not a fault condition to be reported...
    Sheesh.

Software issues have now made me gun shy of computer controlled machines until the suppliers and the market sort this stuff out in the long run.
    ...You're aware of course, that computer controlled machines have been around now for rather a long time, and that the Mini Vivaldi is also computer controlled?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredArabica View Post
    This is a silly assumption. You've no idea what that field is for or what it's intended to report. And what was the fault with the switch? If it's stuck on, likely the machine is being told it's out of water - that's not a fault condition to be reported...
    Sheesh.
    My friend!
    I doubt that your in posession a detailed explosion plan of that very machine as I have him here on my desk right in front of me - and I can prove that anytime. Problem is, that the map is not for public viewing -but I can always provide, if I must, a sniplet out of it - just to prove that I'm not lying. So to name someone silly you have to reach this, my level of information, first.
    Last edited by RaymondParker; 15th November 2012 at 06:19 AM.

You might have started with that, RP (I don't like it when people appear to take large leaps to unsupported assumptions, it happens rather often around here and triggers a knee-jerk reaction ). On re-reading your post I think we've a misunderstanding about this word: "Hardware". You see to me (and I work in the electronics industry), "hardware" refers to the physical electronic components / chips - so from your description this field is indeed reporting both software and hardware errors - but quite possibly not mechanical errors or failures (particularly if there aren't any means for the machine to detect these, I haven't had a chance to look that deeply at my one yet).

In any case, that's pretty poor advice for him to have given but probably understandable if he isn't a coffee person.
    Not true - the chaps in the repair department are quite heavy on coffee too

The last part of his comment is a joke - the "built in mechanism for cleaning after each shot" would be cleaning itself with dirty water!
    I'ts not at all. The contrary is true.
    If you think a little bit over it what technically is happening when you clean with "dirty water" - actually its pretty clever.

In order to concentrate all inputs, requests, ideas e.g. for Breville espresso machine & grinder in one place should I open a "Group" under Community > Groups?
    what do you think?
    just rate my idea with the like button - or leave it.

...You're aware of course, that computer controlled machines have been around now for rather a long time, and that the Mini Vivaldi is also computer controlled?
    I am aware of that and I will freely add into this discussion that I don't particularly have a great understanding of computers so if you can clarify any misunderstandings I may have, that would be appreciated.

My understanding is that machines like the BDB have more functions controlled by computor. The new La Spaziale Dream also has more computer controlled functions. Ultimately I like the convenience and functionality of computer controls otherwise I would buy a lever machine. However, with the BDB (four replaced machines), I have had issues with Err1's and 2's that remain unexplained. Since these codes seem to be a secret i cannot determine what I or my house electrical may be doing wrong to provoke the messages. I also assume that such messages are software related. Therefore I am nervous about more sohpisticated computer functions for now on an espresso machine, used in my home.

Any ideas or info on what the Err messages indicate? what would trigger them?
    Last edited by johnlyn; 16th November 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Dear RaymondParker... from Vienna... I love your posts.... they amuse the hell out of me! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Dear RaymondParker... from Vienna... I love your posts.... they amuse the hell out of me! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
    Fine!

IMG_0397.PNG

how about a sniplet of a (rarely seen in the wild) explosion drawing of the BES900?
    Funny enough ? ;-)

ok - I understand - I'm leaving for good

Oh - that's the manual you were talking about. I have that one too.
    'Bye.

I hope you feel better now having lost a discussion partner - think - you have not only achieved this, but informed / warned visiting newbies like me that it is better to stay away from CS as this is your own trample ground not to be mingled with.
    I have understood the message you so eloquently transported and leave the grass.
    Thank you for your kindness.

...time to think....

....a couple of deep breaths boys....there's plenty of room in the sandpit for everyone!

poor but honest Ross

Stick around Raymond, there are a few stirrers in every forum and CS is no exception, ignore them, they get sick of no response after a while and find a new victim who is willing to rise to their bait.
    Most of the members here are enthusiastic and helpful.
    RaymondParker likes this.

Enough with the insults. Let's keep things civil so further action doesn't need to be taken.

Java "Don't make me put the boots on!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Oh - that's the manual you were talking about. I have that one too.
    'Bye.
    Fine!
    So I don't need to offer you that one.
    What some members and me urgently need and do not possess is the electrical wiring map of the BES900.
    I'm sure, as your a outspoken technical buff, you have that easily ready. Please be so kind to share that.
    Thank you in advance for your kind effort.

Fine!
    So I don't need to offer you that one.
    What some members and me urgently need and do not possess is the electrical wiring map of the BES900.
    I'm sure, as your a outspoken technical buff, you have that easily ready. Please be so kind to share that.
    Thank you in advance for your kind effort.
    Raymond, I seem to have upset you and that really was not my intention. I'll admit though I may sometimes come across a little blunt...
    I take it your interest in the wiring is related to the LED thread? I was thinking of how that might be implemented internally but I'd have to pull my machine apart to see.
    Alas, I don't have full schematics... To be honest even if I did have I wouldn't share them or even be telling anyone I did unless I'd had approval from Breville to do so. I work in an industry where IP is rather important and even though they aren't exactly a competitor there are some things you just don't do (what goes around...).
    If my machine were to suffer an electronic failure outside of warranty I'd dive in and figure it out sufficiently to likely be able repair it, but I'm not going to pull it apart unless I really need to. Can't at the moment anyway as it's in storage for another couple of days yet - I'm surviving on Aeropress while the house is repaired.

Regards,
    Wired.

I take it your interest in the wiring is related to the LED thread?
    Exactly - my idea was that the most simple way would be to use the internal existing LED lighting the water tank as electrical source. Goes on when the machine is on, off when switched off - the most simple way - or?
    Do you see a way?

Ray

The error codes -

I got part of the error codes - but they are not very useful so far for end-customers and only meant for service technicians. Anyhow - even they do not have more details so far. As soon as a faulty machine comes in, they replace the faulty part without care for the codes - they don't have a physical analytic tool yet. Thats not a big problem as the return rate of faulty machines is extremely tiny.
    00:01 till 00:04 is evidencing a problem with the NTC / Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistors located at the boiler(s). From 00:01 "NTC not connected", "NTC short-circuit" till 00:04 "NTC open". Pointless for the user. The most funny error code (if ever shown anywhere) is 00:05. This code should evidence a broken or not connected LCD display. How this code may be actually shown on a faulty LCD remains so far a mystery. Until one finds the (hidden in the backside - only visible when the motherboard is removed and turned over) connector on the backside of the motherboard. This seems to be a connector for a planned plug-in analytic service-monitor equipment.