Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: EM6910 Steam pump audibly trying, but nothing happens until minutes have passed...

Quote Originally Posted by spoco2 View Post
    The Silvia may be better in terms of reliability, but it's a single boiler design, that from what I've seen in these forums, takes forever to heat up, and then takes a long time to switch between coffee and steam temps. Being that the primary reason we wanted a new machine was to have a faster coffee making process when we had friends over, it doesn't fit the bill at all. In the price range we had, the 6910 was the only contender in terms of good coffee at a good speed.

So, it's now been running fine for a week after my repair, now doesn't take any time at all to start the steam up, so seems to have settled after my repair. If this things continues on fine now then I have an awesome machine for $55, can't say fairer than that.

Also, while you'll see a lot of issues with the machine, I'd love to see the relative number of machines actually out there. If there are but a few Silvias vs many more Sunbeams then you'll always see more with issues just through virtue of how many there are.

If it keeps working as it is now, then I'm a happy camper.
    Hey thanks spoco2. Ive bought a second hand EM6910 and I'm having similar problems. Will give your cleaning options a go because I got a quote for repairs and got told 200 bucks! Dreaming. Thanks I'll give it a burl

anyone has had the same symptoms but after a few tries of running the steam it suddenly works? would it just be minor clog in the thermoblock that got flushed out eventually after running the steam a few times?

Thanks Gents....same issue here in beautiful scenic Kalgoorlie (with out wonderful water).

On the job this afternoon......

Hi guys.

Im a coffee machine technician. I work on delonghi, sunbeam, seaco, breville, SAB, rancillio, la cimbali, boema, isomac, la pavoni, san marino, and nova simonelli.

Sunbeams are all prone to block between steam pump and thermo and wand.

If I can be of use. Please message.

Chad
    Snappy and radsdau like this.

I've had my 6910 for only a few months. I bought it second hand but it had never been used (out of the box). Milk texturing was a breeze until last week. Suddenly it started making screaming noises and they didn't stop no matter how far I pulled the wand out of the milk. I deduced it wasn't technique as I was doing ok untill last week. It is not the milk as I use the same milk all the time. All I get now is bubbly hot milk that isn't stretched.

There are a number of posts with people having similar problems, i.e. working fine one moment then crap milk the next.

There hasn't really been a fix that I can find.

I've unscrewed the nozzle and had a look, it looks very clean and unblocked. Not sure what is wrong and it is frustrating.

Any help, hints would be very greatly appreciated.

Hello Ecoli17 (interesting name you have there!)
    I have a few em6910's and one 6900,all have a tendency to suck up milk if the steam knob is switched to off while the nozzle in beneath the surface of the milk,this leads to quick blockages.
    I reduce the steam flow to almost off,but not completely and then remove steam arm carefully to avoid spillage,this way there is no milk residue buildup in the nozzle.
    I would suggest you have a buildup causing the screaming you described,remove the complete arm again,disassemble (including nozzle tip) give it a thorough treatment of descaler (including a soaking) and see how it improves.Always surprising how much "invisable" gunk is cleared away.
    Cheers
    Mick

Thanks mulquemi. I tried that earlier and also tried a system reset (after calling SB) the steam now comes intermittently - strong bursts then weak most of the time. SB have asked me to send it in for repairs since still under warranty. I'll do that and update if they tell me what was wrong. I suspect some of the lines may be clogged or something but I didn't want to open up the machine if it was still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoli17 View Post
    Thanks mulquemi. I tried that earlier and also tried a system reset (after calling SB) the steam now comes intermittently - strong bursts then weak most of the time. SB have asked me to send it in for repairs since still under warranty. I'll do that and update if they tell me what was wrong. I suspect some of the lines may be clogged or something but I didn't want to open up the machine if it was still under warranty.
    Ecoli17,
    Yes,warranty is always the first to follow up unless you and your machine are miles away from the nearest Sunbeam repair agency,mind you there are plenty about when checking the list.
    I've never had a new machine so warranty is but a dream however,I'm not concerned to jump in where others fear to tread because I always have a operational coffee machine on hand,always good to have a spare or two.
    I have ,on some of my em6910's, removed all the copper piping ,cleared and reinstalled,occasionally there are fractures in the copper (such light gauge copper) that has to be silver soldered to return units to operational again.I don't buy new replacement parts,always make do with what's in the collection or fabricate what's needed...great challenge.
    Many have had failed /blocked pumps and they are so repairable as well,electronic boards rarely fail...always a first time.
    Steam boilers are a bit tricky although still blockage clear able as are the thermo blocks.
    Hopefully you will have some joy with the warranty claim.
    Cheers
    Mick

Thanks for jumping in Mick. I appreciate any advice since I'm new to this. I'm really missing my 6910 now, had to revert to nespresso coffee this morning.

Just as an update, I got my 6910 back today. They had to change the steam pump and o-ring. Seems pretty major for such a new machine, perhaps I got a dud or something.
    Anyway just glad to get it back.

Ok, here's a quick guide to getting the pump out and 'fixing' it...
    Thank you so much for this guide.
    After being away from the house for several months, I returned to find the steamer giving exactly the symptoms in the title.
    I dismantled the steamer pump and found the same two components stuck together.
    In my machine the long "aluminium coloured bit" was stainless steel.
    The short "brass coloured bit" (with a small hole in the end) was also steel, a bit discoloured, and the outer section was covered on some sort of deposit.
    The bore of this section was gummed up, stopping the longer piece from sliding freely, so I cleaned it out.
    I also cleaned up the "deposit" on the outside, but on re-examining my photos later I am now not sure if it was some sort of glue. It does not make sense to me that this component should be free to slide internally and externally.

Anyway, there is now plenty of steam, so I just have to see if it can produce milk as good as when it was new - once I get some full-cream milk.

...Location of secret star screw. After doing this, I'm actually pretty sure you don't need to take this out just to get the side off...
    Yes you do. At least on my model, the long star screw attaches to a small plate that is riveted to that side plate that you need to get off.

I was wondering if you managed to get a diagram for this or even what the model of your pump is. Mine is second-hand and I think the previous owner may have put it back together wrong. The model I have is a Defond PF PF-40B-PPS. Even if anyone knows of the same pump in a different brand/mode no, that would be great.

Ta, PJ.

Update: I was unaware that the 3 different models of replacement pumps have different internals. A friend managed to break a spring in the pump so I sucked it up and bought a new one. I would suggest that anyone who wants to fix their steam section to attach the copper pipe to the pump and make sure it's pumping before attaching that pipe to the thermoblock. I wish I had have, haha.

Sunbeam EM6910 Steam Pump dis-assembly

Quote Originally Posted by CamJ View Post
    Thank you so much for this guide.
    After being away from the house for several months, I returned to find the steamer giving exactly the symptoms in the title.
    I dismantled the steamer pump and found the same two components stuck together.
    In my machine the long "aluminium coloured bit" was stainless steel.
    The short "brass coloured bit" (with a small hole in the end) was also steel, a bit discoloured, and the outer section was covered on some sort of deposit.
    The bore of this section was gummed up, stopping the longer piece from sliding freely, so I cleaned it out.
    I also cleaned up the "deposit" on the outside, but on re-examining my photos later I am now not sure if it was some sort of glue. It does not make sense to me that this component should be free to slide internally and externally.

Anyway, there is now plenty of steam, so I just have to see if it can produce milk as good as when it was new - once I get some full-cream milk.

Yes you do. At least on my model, the long star screw attaches to a small plate that is riveted to that side plate that you need to get off.
    So, same symptoms for me. Started when I turned the machine on and heard what sounded like a sudden pressure release 'psssssshhh' sound a few minutes later. Coffee extraction still works fine, but steam pressure out of the wand is very low/spasmodic ever since (note: no proof that they are related, but I've never heard the machine do this before, that's why I mention it).

Using the excellent information in this post, I've managed to disassemble and re-assemble the steam pump (see photos if they are of help to others). The interesting learning from this is the discovery of a previously unmentioned sprung valve assembly inside the stainless steel stem! The pump is now definitely producing some output (tested it before I reconnected the outlet (top side), tho I can't be sure it is producing the correct amount of output.

Another observation I made while testing after re-assembly is that there is quite a bit of clear cold water being expelled out into the drip tray while the steam pump is pumping!? (lift the grill and watch it pulse out). This lead me to wonder if there is a problem upstream of the pump (perhaps too much back pressure from a restricted flow through the boiler?), or alternatively, somehow the back-pressure on the tube that seems to tee off the top of the steam pump just before it connects to the copper pipe that goes to the boiler has dropped, diverting more of the pump output that way instead of into the boiler??

Interestingly, I tried a little test to see if indeed some of the output from the pump is going down the relief circuit, rather than into the boiler, by pinching the plastic pipe that comes off horizontally near the top of the pump. When I pinched it off, the amount of steam coming out increased dramatically. When I let it go again, it returned to producing weak steam! Not sure why this is, as when I follow the plastic pipe work into the bowels of the machine, it doesn't seem to go directly to the overflow outlet that goes into the drip tray?? Anyway, that's what happens.

Anyone know whether seeing overflow into the drip tray when steaming is 'normal'? (Perhaps someone with a fully functional machine could let me know if the see any when steaming normally? TIA.)

So, while I do seem to have improved the amount of steam coming out by cleaning the pump components up, I'm not really back to normal yet. I've checked all the copper pipe work is clear, the steam wand is clear, and that the boiler is not blocked, but haven't descaled. All in all, I guess it could still just mean that the pressure out of the steam pump is still lower than it needs to be, and to fix it I will have to get a replacement pump.

(Will post pics once I work out why I don't seem to have any rights to attach images)
    Last edited by garryk; 8th March 2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Remove pic references

Ok, so I seem to have successfully resolved the problem, after following instructions provided by noidle22 (legend!). Thanks also to spoko2's great pics and guidance!

The problem was the steam pump, which I ended up fully dismantling, cleaning, and re-assembling, which gave me some steam back. But not enough. The final key was to include cleaning the somewhat 'hidden' pressure relief mechanism in the steam pump's horizontal outlet. Unscrewed the white plastic retaining grub screw that sits in the outlet pipe (it has a slot and a small hole in it), removed the spring and valve it retained, cleaned it all out, re-assembled, gave it one extra turn to tension the spring slightly more (I turned the screw ~ ten revolutions), and voila!

Stoked! Back to the coffee making!

Pressure relief plunger
    IMG_0041.jpg

Pressure relief outlet
    IMG_0042.jpg

Valve on spring inside stainless pump pin
    IMG_0002.jpg

Pump parts laid out
    IMG_0007.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by garryk; 9th March 2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add pics
    spoco2, Peej and radsdau like this.

hi guys,
    l'm new to this. I have a Sunbeam em6910 which l have had since new about 3 years ago. It started playing up the other day, when l turned the power on as soon as it heated up it would start trying to press coffee out. Nw when l turn the power on, it blows the safety switch.... Any thoughts ??
    Thanks..
    Andrew

EM6910 Steam Pump disassembly

Stainless pump piston, showing little plastic valve in closed position at the end of the pin
    IMG_0006.jpg

The valve is spring-loaded inside the pin.

IMG_0002.jpg

Note the o-ring inside the pump end cap (sits behind the white teflon washer)
    IMG_0010.jpg

Separated pump body
    IMG_0021.jpg

All the dismantled pump components (except the pressure relief valve)
    IMG_0007.jpg
    Peej likes this.

You have some patience there! Hope everything is still working well for you. Thanks for the pics as this is the same model as my broken one and my new one, which thankfully was only $55 locally. My old and then broken pump was very weak and had incredible back pressure that ended in the tray. I'm sure more info like this can help others since this seems to be an unfortunate common problem in the EM5910.
    Sigh, now I have to keep working on my grind and tamp instead. Wish there was an easy fix for this, haha.

Success! I took the steam pump out, unscrewed the top two screws and pulled out the center portion that moves, and then from that pulled all the bits out and gave them a bit of a clean, although nothing looked dirty. Put it back in the machine and we now have excellent steam with no delay. It'll take me a while to trust it, but it looks good :-)
    Congratulations- that's a huge win! I'll be doing the same by the looks of things.

I know this sounds a bit poor, but do you have any hints for getting the top section off this thing? I spent about 30 minutes trying to pull it down but couldn't find the trick. (EM6910, to be sure, to be sure).

TIA
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW64 View Post
    hi guys,
    l'm new to this. I have a Sunbeam em6910 which l have had since new about 3 years ago. It started playing up the other day, when l turned the power on as soon as it heated up it would start trying to press coffee out. Nw when l turn the power on, it blows the safety switch.... Any thoughts ??
    Hi Andrew- this sounds like an electrical fault; the safety switch could be saving you from experiencing nasty volts. Could be an element or coil or some other component shorting to ground somewhere. It probably won't be easy, but to find it you'd have to unplug each electrical item at a time, to find out the offending beasty. It may be easier to unplug it at the circuit board end; the outputs are marked on the PCB IIRC. It could even be the PCB assembly.
    Good luck, let us know when you find the culprit.
    Rhys

Andrew, the symptom you describe is a shorted triac on the main board. Had you done any work prior to this occurring? If the PCB gets damp it can cause the triac to start, drying it out with a heat lamp or simply leaving in the sun will often fix it if dampness is the problem. If the problem just started with no potential for dampness on the PCB then the triac is likely faulty. There are old threads with the part number for the triac, if you are not comfortable working on the PCB then time for the repair shop.

The manual says both thermoblocks are stainless steel lined, so I think it should be fine.
    A service tech I spoke to confirmed that cleaning solution should NOT be run through the steam system. The reason is the boiler is very hot (150-190degC) and the solution vaporises on contact, not removing scale, and also leaving a residue that can do more damage than you are trying to solve.
    If you can, either have the machine off and manually apply power to the pump to run cleaner through while cold (the flush with clean water before turning back on), but this can be a bit dangerous.
    Otherwise somehow disconnect power to the thermoblock and run it through normally with no heat- probably equally as dangerous.
    Don't do either of these unless you are a licensed electrician of course.

Quote Originally Posted by radsdau View Post
    A service tech I spoke to confirmed that cleaning solution should NOT be run through the steam system. The reason is the boiler is very hot (150-190degC) and the solution vaporises on contact, not removing scale, and also leaving a residue that can do more damage than you are trying to solve.
    If you can, either have the machine off and manually apply power to the pump to run cleaner through while cold (the flush with clean water before turning back on), but this can be a bit dangerous.
    Otherwise somehow disconnect power to the thermoblock and run it through normally with no heat- probably equally as dangerous.
    Don't do either of these unless you are a licensed electrician of course.
    Not sure what descaler he's using but running descaler through the thermoblock at the coldest setting and fastest pump rate has always been very effective for me. It cures light to moderate scale but can't deal with bigger blockages.
    I've soaked a thermoblock in descaler once and regularly cycled it through the water passage but it never really got any better.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW64 View Post
    hi guys,
    Thanks..
    Andrew
    Your 3 way solenoid valve has split which has leaked water down onto the control board, shorting the pump triac. The leak will have gotten worse and leaked out onto the 240V terminals of the solenoid. Once you have water pooling across live to earth then the RCD will trip.

You will need a new solenoid and triac, both of which should be fitted by a qualified technician.
    Peej likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garryk View Post
    ... The final key was to include cleaning the somewhat 'hidden' pressure relief mechanism in the steam pump's horizontal outlet. Unscrewed the white plastic retaining grub screw that sits in the outlet pipe (it has a slot and a small hole in it), removed the spring and valve it retained, cleaned it all out, re-assembled, gave it one extra turn to tension the spring slightly more (I turned the screw ~ ten revolutions), and voila!

Pressure relief plunger
    IMG_0041.jpg

Pressure relief outlet
    IMG_0042.jpg

Thank you- same for me. After a full teardown of the pump (and replacing the top / main seal because it leaked) the steam was back, but crappy and surging like crazy. Cleaned up pressure relief (the rubber seat was built up and not sealing well), and increasing the tension a touch, it works like a bought one.

One tiny trick which I'm not certain was necessary but I'm pretty sure it helps, is to apply the **slightest** smear of food-grade silicone grease to the seals before they went back in, and the sealing surfaces (pressure relief valve seat, & spring valve inside). Very slight- almost wipe it right off with a tissue afterwards. Molykote or Stella or similar.

Totally stoked. Thanks for your help all.
    Last edited by radsdau; 12th April 2015 at 06:01 PM.

Hi

Ladies & Gents, can I start by saying thank you very much and that this and other posts have allowed me to successfully repair my EM6910. But unfortunately not until having first paid over $400 at the local Townsville Sunbeam authorised repairer. Unfortunately out of extended warranty and even though I took it back numerous times he could not fix it. He would go past the pump and suggested I had put something other than water through the machine.
    Anyway, moving on.
    My problem ended up being a blocked Thermoblock. On another post, canít seem to find it again to thank him, the author said to let the machine heat up for 5 min, turn off & un plug. As quickly as possible remove one of the wires from the Thermoblock heating element, heating element is at the bottom of the Thermoblock and I found the top wire the easiest to access, then turn the machine back on. This allowed the preheating to be bypassed and descaling solution to be pumped through the steam side without converting to steam. Note that steam will first come out until it cools down.
    Although this didnít fix my problem altogether it helped for a short period. I ended up going down the same path as Stewart4 buy disconnecting the top and bottom pipes to the Thermoblock, filling it with descaler and flushing it out numerous times.
    In all it took me two days on and off but Iím now enjoying a great coffee as I write and the machine is working as good as it did day 1. Without this post to get me started on the right path I was looking at $850 for a new machine.
    Thanks again.
    PS. Had issues typing this on the site so had to revert to a word doc. The site canít keep up with typing, and Iím no speed typist.
    Cheers
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by tony8028 View Post
    Dont take this as a troll, but if you look within the 500-1500 section of the forum, half of the posts seem to be issues with this model machine. I too wasted time and expense on this unit before selling it off for parts on this very website. If you enjoy your coffee enough to warrant the hours you have spent on repairing the 6910, get yourself a decent machine, because you WILL have more problems with the Sunbeam - and I do speak from experience. I now have a siliva which touch wood, is doing well....similar price range....light years better machine.
    Well funny thing on sites like this is you usually only get the "bad new stories".
    "Good news stories' don't get told so here is one.
    My early 6910 did between 6-7000 shots before I got it with a blocked steam thermobloc, a near one for $40.00, a magnetic low water float switch, a new thermocouple, and 1000 shots later it is still going fine, its only issue is a small drip from the hotwater spout when I am stretching milk.

A naked P/F and VST basket later and I am a happy chappy.
    If it fails and I can't fix it I will get another one or go for a 7000.

Just sayin

Robin
    Last edited by rawill; 10th July 2015 at 06:25 AM.
    Peej likes this.

Thanks for sharing guys. My sunbeam was in storage for about a year and a half. Was working when I put it in there put had the no steam coming out issue. The pump was trying though. I was able to fix it up using the comments here, mine was pretty much just past the steam wand and I was able to get a bit of wire up there.

Thanks Guys. Now it is out of our house, so we are happy, and making coffee for some other lovely people.
    rawill likes this.

Just chipping in, have managed to pull apart my 6910 thanks to this thread. Have had intermittent steam issues for months (not starting for a few seconds, weak steam, water leaking from under machine). Haven't had time to get into it and it was still working, so I've left it. Anyway, pulled it apart and found the leaking water has caused heavy corrosion on the bottom of the blue part (I assume houses the coils?) Was hoping to clean it out, but I think a whole new pump is in order. Still cheaper than a new machine!

Descale the thermo while I'm in here and hopefully I'll be on my way with the new pump!

It's common for these machines to leak from the pipe fitting at the top of the pump. This seems to be caused by vibration from the pump working the fitting loose and also damaging its o-ring seal. Before replacing the pump you could try cleaning it up, drying it out and replacing the o-ring. Also keep in mind that a faulty steam switch (behind the steam control knob) can cause intermittent steam production. No sound at all when you turn on the steam can be an indication of a faulty switch (or burnt out steam pump solenoid coil) but a very quiet "brrp-brrp" sound usually indicates a sticking piston or valves in the pump.
    Good luck with your repair.
    Trev

I've got an 18 month old one that fails to get water through the coffee (regardless of grind setting). No movement of the pressure gauge needle at all. Water comes out with no coffee though. I'm guessing the pump can't produce enough pressure. Only makes 1-3 cups per day and regularly cleaned. If it's the pump it will be covered by warranty. If something else it won't (though my credit card gives me another year so that's ok). Wondering about the statutory warranty though. Surely a machine should last more than that but how do you get action on it (the statutory warranty)?

Wow what an amazing thread. Thanks firstly to everyone here for going to the effort of contributing to this great community and helping so many others. Outstanding.

My questoon is where I can order parts online for the 6910. No one has mentioned a supplier you trust.

Thanks!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
    I've got an 18 month old one that fails to get water through the coffee (regardless of grind setting). No movement of the pressure gauge needle at all. Water comes out with no coffee though. I'm guessing the pump can't produce enough pressure. Only makes 1-3 cups per day and regularly cleaned. If it's the pump it will be covered by warranty. If something else it won't (though my credit card gives me another year so that's ok). Wondering about the statutory warranty though. Surely a machine should last more than that but how do you get action on it (the statutory warranty)?
    Does water leak under the machine or into the drip tray when extracting? This could indicate a failing solenoid.
    If not, yes probably the pump.

I have repaired many EM6910's with failed solenoids up to 12 months out of the 12 month warranty period, Sunbeam are generally fairly accommodating with things like this as long as your service agent is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by kindred View Post
    Wow what an amazing thread. Thanks firstly to everyone here for going to the effort of contributing to this great community and helping so many others. Outstanding.

My questoon is where I can order parts online for the 6910. No one has mentioned a supplier you trust.

Thanks!

Al
    Send me a message, I'll see what I can do.

Well... I've just bought another faulty one of these, I couldn't help myself. $33 for one with, from the description, the same steam issue. My plan is to get this one up and running, the one I detailed fixing in this thread is still going strong, so I really like these machines.

I just got the other one last night, and I don't have the time to repair it yet, that's about a month off I think... but already I can tell it's a different problem. When I turn on this machine it immediately starts making the quiet chugging noise of a not working steam pump... and I think it was even doing it when the machine was switched off... so... yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with this machine. I'll run through similar steps and see what happens.

Hopefully I'll take better pictures this time too!
    Last edited by spoco2; 25th February 2016 at 01:59 PM.
    rawill likes this.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, your pictures and descriptions have all been so helpful. I too bought a 6910 on the cheap with the steam arm not working and managed to pull the steam path apart, the pump and pressure outlet, clean them all (I did turn the small O-ring over so that it sat proud again, just in case), reassemble and it now has steam. All from the info on this one thread.

This is what the internet and forums should be for, people sharing knowledge and helping people.

You guys are fantastic.

Now just to workout why the pressure guage isn't working, not that it's essential but I love a challenge.
    Peej likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Katinzahat View Post
    Thanks to everyone on this thread, your pictures and descriptions have all been so helpful. I too bought a 6910 on the cheap with the steam arm not working and managed to pull the steam path apart, the pump and pressure outlet, clean them all (I did turn the small O-ring over so that it sat proud again, just in case), reassemble and it now has steam. All from the info on this one thread.

This is what the internet and forums should be for, people sharing knowledge and helping people.

You guys are fantastic.

Now just to workout why the pressure guage isn't working, not that it's essential but I love a challenge.
    G'day Katinzahat

Two main reasons (there are a few rarer ones as well)
    1) it is blocked. Usually the input line to the gauge as it is very small (without measuring it, it is probably the smallest diameter pipe in the 6910 by quite a margin).
    2) It has been transported badly and the input line to the gauge has split / broken off just behind the gauge. Telltale signs - a very small patch of water underneath the gauge / milk wand area. usually it is about 5cms under the left hand edge and 10 to 15 cms from the back of the case.

TampIt

Thanks TampIt, I'll start my investigations there.

Well thank god for this thread! Found a good youtube on how to pull apart the machine and replace the steam pump but then stumbled across this thread, pulled apart my pump, dropped the middle black section and connecting copper coil in some descaling solution, cleaned the internal shaft of the outter electrical piece of the pump, reassembled and hey presto! I don't have to throw away my machine - the steam is back and stronger than ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubblerizzy View Post
    Well thank god for this thread! Found a good youtube on how to pull apart the machine and replace the steam pump but then stumbled across this thread, pulled apart my pump, dropped the middle black section and connecting copper coil in some descaling solution, cleaned the internal shaft of the outter electrical piece of the pump, reassembled and hey presto! I don't have to throw away my machine - the steam is back and stronger than ever!!!
    Bugger! Pump not working again this morning. Bit the bullet and just buying a new pump.

Hi Dubblerizzy
    What are your symptoms - any noises, loud or soft etc.
    May be able to help localize the problem with more info before you go to the expense of replacing the pump.
    Trev

Thanks to spoco2

Attachment 1370
    Just a reminder which screws go where

Attachment 1371
    The view from the side, showing the pump at the bottom. You'll need to unscrew the metal pipe that leads into the top, take off the plastic pipe leading into the top also. Then you can get the pipe off the bottom (I find a flat head screwdriver works well to slide them off) and pop the pump out of the bottom bracket, then lever it down and out of the top bit.

Attachment 1372
    You'll be left with this thing, undo those two screws holding the black plastic portion inside the blue part.

Attachment 1373
    The 'pump' bit. You can see in the middle a little notch. If you hold it at both ends and twist it you can separate the two halves

Attachment 1374
    Then all this stuff falls out.

I'm pretty sure the problem lays in a little black grommet behind that white disc (sorry, didn't get a photo). It seems to hold the brass coloured bit to the aluminium coloured bit too tightly, and they're supposed to move back and forth in relation to each other. If I take out that grommet the pump seems to move no problems when put back and powered, but no water pumps (I guess as the seal is lost), so you need the grommet, but just need to to still allow the inner metal piece to slide in and out ok.

I put all the pieces in some cafetto to clean them, I tried giving the inner rod a good sand to try to make it ever so slightly thinner... and the pump does work, but still will 'stick' for a second or so before kicking into life when you first turn it on.

Maybe someone trying this can work out the real root cause and work out a better fix, because I'd hate to have to spend over $60 on a new pump when this one really seems fine except for that bit of 'sticking'.
    Spoco, just wanted to extend thanks, your troubleshooting above has been so helpful. I have my machine working again, after removing the pump and internal pieces, and then simply sticking them back together! I doubt I would have gone that far if it wasn't for your details above.

So cheers!
    Peej likes this.

Talking Spare part available for 34 Euro

I had exactly the same problems, cleaned all parts as described twice but nevertheless it didn't work. I called the importer for the machine in Germany and they sent me the sparepart number. I could buy the spare part at my local dealer with this number for 34 Euro. The machine is running very smooth now. They replaced some of the plastic parts, especially this little screw on the outside, with copper...

Sparepart number:
    Graef 145867

Manufacturer:
    Jiayin JYPC-4

I have had the same problem. I have checked the pump, seems to be fine. I removed the brass hose above the pump, that seems fine. (I did clean it out, but nothing much came out). My next step is to check/clean out the top brass hose but I can not get the top cover off. It looks like the steam and hot water knobs have to be removed but I can not work out how. Does any one know?

I have worked it out. You just pull them off. (Lucky I don't have a dirty mind or that might sound a bit rude).

Weird though. I took everything apart. Nothing seemed blocked. Put it back together again. It all works like new. (Maybe I put something back into place or freed something up).

Hello together,

With all the informations I got in this thread I was able to repair my Graef ES90 coffee machine (it is similar tothe Sunbeam model and are sold in Germany as Graef). Hope the machine will go on making good coffee now.

Many thanks from Stuttgart, Germany

Werner
    level3ninja likes this.

Hi all, great thread!

I also have the model em6910 and could successfully clean and reassemble the steampump. Also applied a tiny bit of silicon grease. The steam block and all pipes / hoses are clean and free.

But the pump still only emits that very quiet humming, and doesnt give any steam. Anybody got some pointers what else to try?

Rbn
    Is it possible the steam thermoblock is blocked.
    I had that once, I imagine the pump would work but nothing would get through.

I know I put a vinegar/water solution through mine to keep it clean and descaled inside.
    My son does the same to to his, but only when the steam gets a bit weak!

To check if it was blocked you would need to take it out and see if you can get compressed air to go through it, or something similar to test it.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by tony8028 View Post
    Dont take this as a troll, but if you look within the 500-1500 section of the forum, half of the posts seem to be issues with this model machine. I too wasted time and expense on this unit before selling it off for parts on this very website. If you enjoy your coffee enough to warrant the hours you have spent on repairing the 6910, get yourself a decent machine, because you WILL have more problems with the Sunbeam - and I do speak from experience. I now have a siliva which touch wood, is doing well....similar price range....light years better machine.
    I wonder if it is because there are so many of them out there in use, and they do not get the preventative maintenance they should. My 6910 has delivered around 10,000 shots. Had a blocked thermoblock when I bought it for $100.00. all in all it has cost me about $200.00 with the maintance I have done on it. 2 thermal fuses, a few group head seals, a magnetic water level sensor. That is it. Not bad I reckon, I have pulled about 4000 shots of the 10,000 it has done. Is that good or bad, I think it is good. IMO even at new price this machine has delivered value, especially when a coffee at a cafe costs $4.00. $4000.00 worth of coffee from a cafe.
    alexm1 likes this.

@rawill the thermo block is free and air can be pushed through.

The pump also has the quiet humming when disconnected from the machin (only AC connected)
    rawill likes this.

I also tried tapping the pump while connected, this doesn't lead to any change though.

Also the insides of the pump move freely when outside pump. The silicon grease helped greatly there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast