Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: EM6910 Steam pump audibly trying, but nothing happens until minutes have passed...

Rbn
    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just wondering if there is an ohm reading for the coils. I am sure there will be, and that might be worth checking.
    I am thinking it is like a "flutter valve" in turbo controller, and the coil energises the shuttle, hence the pumping motion.
    If the coil has "faulted" it may be humming but does not have the full "grunt" it needs.

Just a thought from my turbo car ECU tuning days.

@rawill thanks! it was really the coild that was borken. So I ordered an ULKA HF/s pump, and just used the coil part --> works like a charm! Thanks again!
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Excellent!

It was just a random "outside the square" thought I had when pondering your issue.

Now onto cleaning up the "mess" I found in mine after pulling it apart to replace the collar!
    Broke 3 screws taking the old one out! So now down to the "bolt supplier" to get 5 new torx bolts!
    But not till Tuesday as we have a holiday weekend!

Thanks heaps “spoko2” for the tip, my machine had exact same symptoms, took pump apart, didn’t appear dirty but it was a little tight around the shaft/oring, not sliding very freely, gave it a clean and light coating of wd-40, put back together, steams like a new machine again, very happy, and very surprised at the same time that it made that much difference.
    cheers

NK4
    I had low steam flow and I descaled following instructions on this site. The descaling had worked on previous occasions but this time it did not fix the problem. I did a factory reset and the steam flow returned to normal, I suspect the setting had changed somehow. Factory reset as follows:
    Connect to power point and switch on at power point
    Press and hold the manual button
    With the manual button pressed, press the power button and release
    Release manual button
    Power button will flash and there will be 4 beeps.

I bought an EM6910 on 18 March 2012, paid $575, grinder included. Used once per day, 2200 brews for me and wife at $0.13 per cup. Beans and Milk probably $0.30 x 4400 =$1300.00. If I had bought coffee from shop I would have paid 4400 x $4.00 = $17600.00. The machine has paid for itself.
    I now have this very problem. I am going to try and fix it given I have this unbelievably excellent set of instructions.
    Thank you so much, all of you, particularly spoco2 for his photos and details. I am sure it is within my level of expertise from what I have learnt here.
    inorog, WarrenK and Capri335 like this.

That first coffee after fixing tasted SO GOOD!

I just fixed my EM6910 as well. I didn't even see that there was a page 2 & 3 to this thread. That may have saved some time! My symptoms were no steam at all. I now know that this was starting to happen months ago. Anyway, I tried something that hasn't been mentioned and that was descaling the steam Thermoblock while it is cold. After stripping the copper pipes I pushed a plastic tube over the inlet (bottom) and outlet (top) and found that I could only blow very little air through. My thinking was "if I cant blow air, then the pump is going to have a hard time with water". I set up a large jar on top of the machine, with the recommended dilution of white vinager. The lower tube (connected to the bottom inlet) of the thermoblock I set up to drip into a bucket. I then syphoned through the thermoblock the solution (I used a syringe to start it). The syphoning was very slow, maybe one drip per second. I let it go all night. In the morning the syphoning had obviously finished, so I set up a little more (water this time) and it ran out. I refitted the pump and found it was still struggling. I stripped it out again and used high magnification viewing glasses. That is when I saw the small valve at the end of the pump piston. I got my finger nail under the edge, and yes it was sticking. I decided to immerse all of the whole pump parts in vinager. It was very slow and didn't make a lot of difference. I then used SEPTONE Aluminium Cleaner that contains phosphoric acid and a little (2%) Hydroflouric acid. Before any one starts on the danger of Hyrdoflouric acid, I will say that at this level it isn't considered dangerous (I used to sell chemicals). Wear gloves and eye protection though. 5 minutes in the acid, cleaned all the parts, I reassembled the pump and OMG. I swear it was better than new. It now steams a jug of milk in less than a minute. It seems to me that this valve is critical to the pumps action. I am sure that this allows the pump to pick up the next amount of water on the down stroke. If it isn't functioning properly the pump won't lift the correct amount of water. Thanks to this thread, I saved about $400. Someone asked above for parts stockist, I found this place.

spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1648691&gclid=Cj0KCQj wl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dF7RMQkpyFcUgZu2YBqJrzUHZ8vTd5tN x93ZvhHztU_iDNXJbT7hx8aAklKEALw_wcB

They also have installation tips on the page, where people have installed parts. I found this useful as it can lead you to other parts.

I hope that this is of some help to others. Happy Coffee making!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123