Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My New Machine

My New Machine

I've just got back from Melbourne, the owner of a 2nd hand Sunbeam EM6910 bought via Gumtree. The owner bought it when living in outback areas of NSW where she couldn't get a decent coffee, but then moved to Carlton, where it is hard NOT to get a decent coffee. It had been sitting in the cup[board for months.

I could have got the Breville ES480 for $200 less but I wanted something similar in function to a professional machine and the twin blocks and two pumps for this one sold me on it. I am trying to be retired and working on starting a business but I figure some part time work as a barista could supplement income nicely - while I make nice coffees (did some work as that in a local pub and even started to build a following) being able to push through coffees AND make them look nice will take practice.

I paid the princely sum of $350 for the machine, a coffeeparts bang-box, all the bits including both size double-wall filters and 2 single walls - the manual makes it clear they come with the machine and recommends the singles walls for anything except prepackaged ground coffee (pressure bricks etc.) I also got a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder that looks in very good nick although she said she was grinding Vittoria beans at about 6 so if my reading hasn't let me down I might need washers or something to use higher numbers?

I did some basic service - it was cleaned but she hadn't wiped it properly so cloth came away dirty - but otherwise nice and shiny. Ran some water through it and made Chai Latte for the missus and the milk came out perfect. I took out the Calc filter - looked like it needed to go anyway - dirty brown inside - as I use only water from a reverse osmosis system. Tomorrow before I get started I will do a descale through it - we have some white vinegar so will use that. Country water in NSW tends to be hard and mineral rich...

I got a reasonable coffee from it - I like long macchiato and I've paid for worse than I got from this, and almost everything that could be wrong, was wrong.

The ground coffee was bought for an el-cheapo machine I tried out about 4 years ago. It has sat in a sealed container in the fridge ever since.

The coffee was a pressure pack variety.

It was bought on price, not brand or quality.

It was originally labelled for plungers.

I was trying out a machine for the first time - the very first double shot was watery so I swapped to the double wall version. I got good crema and nice colour as well as a reasonable aroma. Taste was a little watery but I have had the same from people who put hot water into a double shot macchiato to make the cup fuller.

Tomorrow I go to the local roasters and look for some beans.

6 is reasonable - 4 was fine enough to choke a giotto.

the grind steps are fairly coarse, though.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll have a chat with the local roasters and see what I have available for beans but I might just get some cheapies to get my eye in on the grinding process. Previously have only used professional setups and they were maintained by external agents - I wasn't allowed to touch the adjustment even if the boss did believe the weather could change what was needed.

Blog Entries
    The ground coffee was bought for an el-cheapo machine I tried out about 4 years ago. It has sat in a sealed container in the fridge ever since.

It was bought on price, not brand or quality.

It was originally labelled for plungers.

I was trying out a machine for the first time - the very first double shot was watery so I swapped to the double wall version. I got good crema and nice colour as well as a reasonable aroma. Taste was a little watery but I have had the same from people who put hot water into a double shot macchiato to make the cup fuller.

Tomorrow I go to the local roasters and look for some beans.
    Ask the roasters if they have anything a couple of years old, maybe something that fell down the back of the shelf in 2011?

Going from 4 year old plunger ground coffee to fresh roasted will be too big a shock to your system, you are going to have to catch-up gradually.

Enjoy the journey.

All those comedians out of work and YOU'RE looking for a job!!!

I made a (barely) drinkable latté this morning with it. Bit clumsy on the use so far but won't be long... Off to get beans...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It was bought on price, not brand or quality....
    I have a lot of used pucks i could send you.. a few weeks old , only used once fresh roast SO !!

Im sure they would still make a better coffee than that old pressure pack you tried !

Get those beans and get grinding !!!

Currently running a descale - the roaster recommended NOT to use white vinegar - said it would taint the system. I got some liquid from them, Cino Cleano. I figure they weren't just trying to sell as I had already paid for my coffees and we were gasbagging.

I got 3 x 250gm - roasted last week - he said they let them rest a week to 'de-gas' ???

Symphony - Full, rich, chocolate characters, that are sweet, and well balanced from front to back palate. An exceptional espresso incorporating refined flavours in a silky, thick body, and just a little bite from the high roast aromatics.

Divina - Divina is a big coffee, with satisfying depth from a high roast style, strong aromatics, and a velvet texture. Winey, chocolate, characters with a hint of vanilla up front, and a touch of smoke & spice in the nose.

Bombora - Full bodied, and very full flavour. Bombora is a deep, rich & smooth Mocha style with a caramel aroma. The slightly untamed, wild coffee characters from hand picked African arabicas, and a full roast make this blend highly satisfying.

I described my preferences in coffee (other than 4yo sewage grounds - SOOO many comedians, so few bullets... ) and these were the recommends... $11 per 250gm, $20 for 500gm, $33 for 1kg - are those prices OK?

Waiting, waiting...

Oh... I've downloaded the manual for the EM0480 so I'm about to take apart my grinder while I wait for the descale etc.
    mordrax likes this.

Re: My New Machine

Good prices, if the coffee is good.

Whats wrong with the grinder? Just cleaning it?

I always grind between 2 and 5 on mine. Cant see what shimming it would achieve (grinding between 9 and 11 maybe )

The saga begins... and hopefully ends right here!!!

I descaled the 6910 and rinsed with normal water then again with pure water. Filled and ready to run.

I decided to clean the grinder simply because I could smell, and when I took the hopper off, see the residues. I did the clean as per the manual and reassembled.

Ready to run my first coffee, and grinder doesn't deliver. Makes grinding noise but very little coming out - if I leave it running much longer the beans will be getting a second roast, so I stop, empty into jar and settle in to find out why.

I took it apart down to the point just before dropping the motor out. I evicted the resident cockroach and set to to clean every part I could touch, get a cloth to or scrub with a wet toothbrush.

Reassemble - him motor, he no go! *thinks* Hm... microswitch, maybe it moved as I put the cover back on. Disassemble. Very carefully reassemble. Him motor, he no go. Disassemble... *thinks* *light bulb moment* Microswitch installed upside down - little peg is meant to poke through the cover to be tripped by the Settings mechanism.

Reassemble. Check switch. Finish reassemble. Try grinding. Minimal grounds coming out. Disassemble hopper, almost put back out diving for little spring heading for plug hole in sink. Clean, reassemble. Grinds. Express Espresso.

Goddamn lovely latte!!! (didn't want to try my mach yet till I get it all right.

Pour was about a 3 or 4 second delay to begin flow, nice level of flow, meter on machine says a touch over extracted. Definitely not filter too full, and grind is on about 10 so next time I will try 11 or 12.

Succ-Bloody-Cess!!!

I have a question about the EM0480 grinder. I don't want to waste my coffee yet 18gm of beans barely makes it to the dome cover above the burrs. The manual says to make sure there is plenty of beans because the even pressure makes it grind better. The problem with that is it leaves a choice of old beans in the grinder, along with partial grinds etc in the burr area, or a complex procedure to empty the grind leftovers back into a container.

Can I simply use just the required amount of beans?

And if I do, does anyone have hints on how to get the entire 18gm through into the filter?

Complex? Turn anti clockwise, lift, pour into bag. Reattach. Purge grinder.

Ive taken to pouring only enough beans in to clear the grinder and fill the basket. Works fine for me.

Hey Journeyman!

I have a 6910 and running 2 480's (one for a blend, one for a single :P) and I only ever fill to the same level of the bottom of the dome when I need to make a coffee as I'm using a 22g VST. When I come to make a coffee, I just grind out some beans for 2 sec or so to get rid of yesterday's grind and then just go ahead and grind. The only time I fill my hoppers up is when I have guests over so I don't have to keep going back to the cupboard and bag for more beans! The shots that I get are delicious so I'm not too fussed on getting rid of the left over beans that are in the hopper as long as I give it a flush with new grinds to get the stale ones out.

Hope this helps!
    Michael

Turn anti clockwise, lift, pour into bag. Clean out burrs, turn machine upside down to get beans out of interior, clean up spillage from spout and burrs. Reattach. Purge grinder. - complex.

I guess I am trying to hard to avoid wastage... le sigh...

I'll see how i goes - main concern was the manual claiming I need to have plenty of beans in there...

Yes you are.

I hear you though - I was roasting 90g batches for a while, so every bean was precious. I used to dig them out of the burrs...

Now I just empty the hopper, purge the grinder a few times (changing to the coarsest setting and rocking the grinder around a bit). Anything more just detracts from the experience!

Apparently the secret to grinding beans with a Sunbeam EM0480 is to strip it down and clean everything, reassemble and get ONE coffee. I got up today and tried to make a coffee and the grinding took 30 minutes to get just barely enough to make a double cup filters worth - and that's with me poking beans into the maw of the beast with a spoon!

And THEN the water would not go through it!

I don't know what gives but I think it's beyond me - I strip the hopper and grind mechanism and press the pressure switch and everything works fine. I put the upper burrs back in place, turn the grind mechanism and press THAT switch and everything spins just fine.

But the coffee is clearly blocking up inside the channel under the lower burr. I get one coffee's worth and the next one just fills the channel.

I think it is time to get a Pro to look at the grinder.

On a brighter note (I need one right now) the EM6910 seems flawless... The 2 coffees I HAVE had (in 2 days) have been very good. I can believe it is possible to get excellent coffee from this machine - if only I can GRIND BLOODY COFFEE!

/rant

Anyone know of a service centre in Bendigo - preferably a CS member, but if none of them, someone not shonky nor going to charge me the cost of a new grinder to do a service? Cos other than that I'm looking for a new grinder.

Apparently the secret to grinding beans with a Sunbeam EM0480 is to strip it down and clean everything, reassemble and get ONE coffee. I got up today and tried to make a coffee and the grinding took 30 minutes to get just barely enough to make a double cup filters worth - and that's with me poking beans into the maw of the beast with a spoon!

And THEN the water would not go through it!

I don't know what gives but I think it's beyond me - I strip the hopper and grind mechanism and press the pressure switch and everything works fine. I put the upper burrs back in place, turn the grind mechanism and press THAT switch and everything spins just fine.

But the coffee is clearly blocking up inside the channel under the lower burr. I get one coffee's worth and the next one just fills the channel.

I think it is time to get a Pro to look at the grinder.

On a brighter note (I need one right now) the EM6910 seems flawless... The 2 coffees I HAVE had (in 2 days) have been very good. I can believe it is possible to get excellent coffee from this machine - if only I can GRIND BLOODY COFFEE!

/rant

Anyone know of a service centre in Bendigo - preferably a CS member, but if none of them, someone not shonky nor going to charge me the cost of a new grinder to do a service? Cos other than that I'm looking for a new grinder.
    Suggest you have a read through post one of this thread How to make the perfect espresso at home. may well give you a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Suggest you have a read through post one of this thread How to make the perfect espresso at home. may well give you a clue.
    Actually that's no help. Nothing there is either new to me nor does it help with a non-working grinder. Making the coffee is not my problem - getting the coffee from the grinder is.

Local service people, including the Sunbeam Service folk, seem distinctly uninterested in servicing this machine and very interested in telling me to just buy a new grinder. I don't have another couple of hundred bucks for a new grinder...

The Sunbeam folk tried to tell me the EM0480 is obsolete and they can't get parts, yet the exact model is on sale in Good Guys... I might head in there and strip one down and see what's different.

You did dry it out thoroughly after cleaning it with a wet toothbrush, didnt you?

Didnt use any cleaning agents?

If you grind on the coarsest setting, what happens?

Try giving the grinder a big bash on the top, then running the grinder. See if that clears it.

My first guess, if it takes that long to grind, is that you havent reassenbled it properly, or its been shimmed beyond (a thou' of) an inch of its life.

Thoroughly dried - when I say 'wet' toothbrush, it was rinsed then shaken and I 'fanned' the bristles with a finger a number of times to remove excess. I also wiped everything with dry cloth after I'd cleaned. No agents. Lots of bashing performed while running to try to get beans into the grinding channels.

I don't see what I could have gotten wrong in reassemble - everything pretty much clicks into place and if you get the microswitch wrong it simply doesn't run. Any advice on what I might have goofed would be much appreciated.

Under the bottom burr (and it's wrong threaded so got to 'tighten' to loosen ) there is a slightly centre-indented circular washer and a odd shaped one that is clearly designed to 'stop' against the little pin sticking up. I'm going to get some more washers, as thin as possible, so I can see if that helps.

I'm not sure about max coarseness results - I THINK when I was playing around yesterday that gave me chunks of beans out the spout, but it is possible some dropped in in one of the many times I was taking it apart.

This is why I am trying the shim idea - those burrs look just fine to me. The 2 washers from under the bottom burr are shown as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't see what I could have gotten wrong in reassemble - everything pretty much clicks into place and if you get the microswitch wrong it simply doesn't run. Any advice on what I might have goofed would be much appreciated.
    The upper burr carrier can fit in backwards which is not evident until you discover that it't either far too coarse or too fine.

Backwards? You're talking the large piece at the bottom of the picture above? Do you know what might identify the right way around to put it?

I've gotten some washers - Sunbeam very nicely make the size of the spindle a tiny fraction more than a standard size washer hole - no round file so had to use a drill to widen the hole a little till it fit. The washers are about 2 x thickness of the Sunbeam one so I tried washer first with their version (no good - nothing came out) then with just the washer without their version. (no good)

Here is what I see when I remove the hopper after trying to grind... The little part that sticks up to disturb the beans simply spins around and doesn't do anything to the grounds sitting around the edge.

EDIT: I can't see anything that even looks like it might be a one way install. The burr holder is symmetrical, The adjustment collar has assymetric lug spaces at the bottom, 4 of them, 2 closer together than the other 2, but it can only go one way on the machine and the burr holder has 2 positions in it, exactly 180º apart.

Something is very wrong there. I never see grinds like that above the burrs. Ever.

I've run out of ideas. I tried taking out everything except the round washer - it's slightly indented in the middle where the hole for the shaft is. The base of the bottom burr has a circle scratch mark on it so I figure the machine did not originally have the 6 sided washer.

It is like there is a part missing or something, but I have been super careful all through this. Closest thing to an incident was having to dive for the spring from the base of the hopper. About the only thing I haven't tried is turning the L shape upside down - it spins with the burr and I figure it is there to keep the beans moving, but hey, maybe it is meant to be sweeping them into the tray below... (joking... sort of...)

Can someone confirm the shims from Sunbeam ARE the strange 6 side one shown above?

EDIT: NOpe, L piece is definitely facing up. And as soon as I remove the upper burr and spin the bottom section, it spits coffee out the spout - obviously just the stuff that fell in but it's not doing that any other time.

AAAAAARGH!!!

I have to go out but I will give Sunbeam a call and see what they can suggest - it's certain their Service people here are crap on a stick - tried to tell me my grinder has no parts and is too old at less than 2 years. There's words for people like that and none of them are nice.

Back soon

Are you sure you aren't just grinding the beans too finely? Cause that's what it's sounding like to me!

Mike

That would be possible if I could get the ground coffee out of the grinder. The problem isn't whether or not my coffee machine will make good coffee, it is whether the beans I put into the grinder come out... in ANY form, let alone too fine or coarse.

I'm wondering what other use I might have for a slow revving motor. The machine runs GREAT... until I put beans in the hopper and expect little tiny particles to come out. As shown above, it DOES make little tiny particles... they just sit up above the burrs instead of dropping down to the channel that takes them out to the group filter.

Have you tried removing the 'shims'? Ill pull mine apart when I get home and take some pics.

Thanks Mister... Part of my problem is I don't know what it is MEANT to look like - if the previous owner took it apart and put it together wrong I would have no idea. I've tried, as above, 6 sided piece plus round Sunbeam washer plus double-thick normal washer, 6 sided piece with normal washer, normal washer and just the Sunbeam washer.

If you DO pull yours apart, be careful - the bottom burr can come out WITHOUT removing the cover plate with the 4 screws - it can be a bugger getting thbe microswitch back in place when you put that cover on.

Oh, and the bottom burr is reverse thread...

If you do, thanks very much. Above and Beyond...

Without removing the bottom burr, this is what mine looks like. Hopefully they give you an idea of the clearance between the burrs. Easily grinds fine enough to choke my breville. uploadfromtaptalk1362481219460.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362481252852.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362481287919.jpg

OK... here is my version of the last 2...

Apart from the lack of coffee in mine, I can't see anything different. But when I pull my hopper off the base, I have semi-crushed beans and a lot of powder sitting around as you see in the post above.

Mine currently has only the original washer. I can try shimming it up with the odd shape one plus 2 x normal washers to see if it makes any difference. My estimation is, any more than that and I will be scraping one burr against the other.

Other than that, there doesn't seem a lot of difference between yours and mine... except mine doesn't work of course.

Hm... here's a thing - the upright L piece - in yours looks like it is closer to the upper burr teeth than mine - in my Pic with upper burr in place you can clearly see the gap I have - does that look even close to the small gap yours seems to have?

Camera angle I suspect.

Your problem seems to be really bad clumping. Rather than worry about getting the burrs closer together, I'd be trying to get them further apart.

Does the chute clog if you grind at the coarsest setting from a clean state? After removing the shims?

the burr holder has 2 positions in it, exactly 180º apart.
    exactly. so if you put it in backwards, the adjustment is a half turn off (ie the full adjustment range of the grinder) from the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
    exactly. so if you put it in backwards, the adjustment is a half turn off (ie the full adjustment range of the grinder) from the other way.
    Any clues on how to tell which way is which. I'm still inclined to think this can't be it, solely based on the chances that I would have put it in backwards every time I reassembled the machine - which is up around 15 times so far.

But I can give it a try - remove the shims as MrJack says, put it in and check then take it out, reverse it and try again.

Also I've been wondering about the odd shape shim - I'm wondering if it is meant to rotate up against the stick-up plug to ensure the 'gates' in the channel under the bottom burr turn as they should. Maybe Sunbeam figure if you add in a shim on top of the washer already there it will reduce friction and lead to issues with those gates?

Is it at all possible that the motor is running in reverse ??
    (personally,.. I don't think it can happen !)

*grins* Believe it or not, I thought of that - took the upper burr off and triggered the switch to make sure the lower burr was sending the coffee against the sharp edges of the upper burr. (looking down from top it spins clockwise)

My New Machine

One thing still remains. Will it grind through the chute if you set it up very coarse? If it grinds there, then slowly set it finer until it no longer comes out. If it didn't grind at the coarsest then something is wrong with the grinder

Will check it this arvo - have to take the missus to Echuca now...

Just want to add, I really appreciate the time taken by people here to help me with this. Thanks.

When reassembling the EM0480, the key thing is to align the marks as shown below.

Firstly replace the silver collar on the machine and align the arrows as in the photo below.

P1000255(1).jpg

Next insert the top burr carrier and align the white marks as shown below at about the 3 o'clock position -

P1000246.jpg

When assembled it should look like the photo below. Note the orientation of the burr carrier handle to the press button on the side.

P1000259.jpg

In case your white reference marks have disappeared from the burr carrier and the inside of the silver collar, here are a couple of photos for reference. Just look at these carefully for some other reference points such as the wire handle on the burr carrier or other parts of the burr carrier moulding to help align it correctly.

P1000254.jpg and P1000245.jpg

Once the arrows on the outside of the silver collar are aligned and the white reference marks on the inside are aligned, rotate the silver collar in a clockwise direction until you hear the button click. Make sure the top burr carrier doesn't rotate as you rotate the silver collar. You should now be able to adjust to your grind setting preference.

The other area that causes issues with the EM0480 is a build up of caked grinds at the exit of the grind chamber into the spout. It's hard to see unless you tip the grinder upside down and shine a torch up the spout. Sometimes the build up can be caked hard if it hasn't been cleaned regularly. You need to be gentle clearing it. This build up can definetly stop grinds exiting the grind chamber freely and cause grind inconsistencies as grinds are reprocessed. Have a good look in that area and you may be surprised what has built up in there over time and caked hard causing an obstruction.
    GreenBeanGenii, rawill and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    When reassembling the EM0480, the key thing is to align the marks as shown below.

Firstly replace the silver collar on the machine and align the arrows as in the photo below.

P1000255(1).jpg

Next insert the top burr carrier and align the white marks as shown below at about the 3 o'clock position -

P1000246.jpg

When assembled it should look like the photo below. Note the orientation of the burr carrier handle to the press button on the side.

P1000259.jpg

In case your white reference marks have disappeared from the burr carrier and the inside of the silver collar, here are a couple of photos for reference. Just look at these carefully for some other reference points such as the wire handle on the burr carrier or other parts of the burr carrier moulding to help align it correctly.

P1000254.jpg and P1000245.jpg

Once the arrows on the outside of the silver collar are aligned and the white reference marks on the inside are aligned, rotate the silver collar in a clockwise direction until you hear the button click. Make sure the top burr carrier doesn't rotate as you rotate the silver collar. You should now be able to adjust to your grind setting preference.

The other area that causes issues with the EM0480 is a build up of caked grinds at the exit of the grind chamber into the spout. It's hard to see unless you tip the grinder upside down and shine a torch up the spout. Sometimes the build up can be caked hard if it hasn't been cleaned regularly. You need to be gentle clearing it. This build up can definetly stop grinds exiting the grind chamber freely and cause grind inconsistencies as grinds are reprocessed. Have a good look in that area and you may be surprised what has built up in there over time and caked hard causing an obstruction.
    Very helpful post CL, been following this thread with interest, almost 40 posts over a couple of days and still no closer to a solution.

Whats gonna happen?

If you turn the machine off, remove the adjustment collar and stick your finger up the spout (carefully - don't cut yourself on the burrs) you should be able to see your finger up the top. Sweep around carefully and you can dislodge any caked coffee.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If you turn the machine off, remove the adjustment collar and stick your finger up the spout (carefully - don't cut yourself on the burrs) you should be able to see your finger up the top. Sweep around carefully and you can dislodge any caked coffee.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Does this need an "R" rating?

There's a bit of a dog-leg at the top where grinds collect and with moisture present, develop quite a hard caked-on restriction. Not sure that the "finger up the spout" will work if you have large digits. I poked around with a wooden chop-stick and then later a very long and stiff bristled grinder brush to clear the other side of the cut-out of the grind chamber.

Just found another thread that may be of interest?

Sunbeam Coffee Grinder EM0480 spares
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 6th March 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Does this need an "R" rating?
    There's a bit of a dog-leg at the top where grinds collect and with moisture present, develop quite a hard caked-on restriction. Not sure that the "finger up the spout" will get it all especially if you have large digits. I poked around with a wooden chop-stick and then later a very long and stiff bristled grinder brush to clear the other side of the cut-out of the grind chamber.[/URL]
    I have fairly long slender digits, but I can feel the entire sides of the exit chute all the way up to the burrs - if you can see your finger then you've gotten it past the dog leg.

My finger dislodges no cakes... I cleaned all that right at the beginning. I had a cockroach - everything I could touch got cleaned...

I do not have printing nor indication on any of the parts except as below... First - right near top of screen there is a notch - looks like it was scratched into the edge. Run fingernail around the top and nothing, run it a little inside the top and it snags on the notch.

At almost the exact same position on the upper burr photo, my fingernails snags on another notch. Hard to see but the camera brings it out.

Unfortunately for the line-it-up process above, they don't - I can turn the upper burr almost the entire circuit around before it lines up with the scrape on the collar. If I try to line up the notches once I put the collar back in, the upper burr notch can only be at about 60º in front of the collar notch or about 120º behind it. Once the collar is on I can't move the upper burr.

Please don't take this wrong but suggestions about lining up the arrows do not help much - it should be clear from the earlier posts I can pull the machine down, clean and reassemble it without a problem. Lining up those arrows might be handy in post 2 if I said I can't pull it apart.

I am neither technologically nor engineeringly challenged. I can read a manual. I understand basic physics. I do not understand why this machine is not working as it is meant to.

I took a frustration break yesterday and went to the pub. While there I was telling someone about my problems and a barman mentioned he had a grinder he had no use for. I don't like something for nothing and it turns out he has a netbook he'd like fixed so we did a deal. The grinder turns out to be a Sunbeam EM0450 - I just built myself 2 x long strong macchiatos - first was a touch coarse in grind and so a bit less complex than I like and second was just a little under-extracted - not quite enough crema but lovely to drink.

So... I can make coffee. YAAAAAAAY!!!!

But I still want to fix this EM0480. Tomorrow I can strip the 450 and see how it looks. The good grind was on 5 so maybe it needs a shim. But at the least I can compare little brother against big brother and see what is amiss...l

if you get good grinds on 5, you don't need a shim.

Maybe so - except for trying a grind on 4, I ain't touching this one until I get the 480 working. This one spits out grounds about the speed I was expecting - the good coffee had a crema about 3mm or slightly less; I figure with my coffee I should be able to better that - plus the gauge said it was just on the lower end of the pressure scale. A 4 should put me smack in the middle.

But I still want to get the 480 running as it should - a quick glance down the barrel of the 450 suggests there is nothing wrong with the burrs. Tomorrow I will do some gentle investigation (after my first coffee) and see what the difference might be inside the works.

The only point of the shims is if you can't get it fine enough on 1. I just made a reasonable decaf with my grinder set to 5 (a touch fast, I'll probably have it on 4 for the next one).

Why did you put shims in the 480?

The 480 came with the round washer and the odd shape one already. In reading about 480 issues there seemed to be a consensus that shims would fix issues where the grind wasn't working. I tried it and it didn't change anything.

It was just a part of a process trying to work out what is wrong. The burrs seem sharp enough, nothing is obviously wrong with the set up, piece by piece the system works until it is put back together.

Local Sunbeam service sucks - I do not appreciate being told a current model grinder is out of date and they can't get parts anyway so I should go buy a new one - particularly when Good Guys and Hardly Normal BOTH sell my model as current. GRRRRR!!! If I don't need to go to the local service agents I will be reporting them to Sunbeam for lousy customer service.

SO... now I can actually use my 6910 to make lovely coffee, I can calm down a little and work out why a machine that LOOKS like it should work, ISN'T working.

If someone has a EM0480, I would still like to know the original config - look at the photos above for the round and odd-shape washers - are they BOTH in the original machine or was it already 'shimmed' when I got it. Is the shim the odd shaped one?

Just checked out the photo of the 'shims'. Looks decidedly home-made to me, and probably the cause of what appears to be damage to the bottom half of the top burr. Can you take a better photo of the top burr, out of the grinder?

Remember that what the shims do is raise the bottom burr, moving it closer to the top burr, making the grind finer for a given setting. So a grind setting of say 10, is now as fine as 5 was before.

If you raise the burr too much you run the risk of contact, and damage.

Coarser grinds will be less likely to clog, so I dont think adding shims would help.

Commercial non-sponsor link removed per the Site sales and posting policy (the rules)

are your sweeper arms moving when the motor turns?
    Last edited by Javaphile; 7th March 2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: commercial link removed

Commercial non-sponsor link removed per the Site sales and posting policy (the rules)

are your sweeper arms moving when the motor turns?
    agreed, had a friend who bought a second hand 480 and found we couldnt grind anything. turns out after unscrewing the plastic base revealing the chute, the sweeper arms were broken off! doesnt look that way from your photos but maybe somethings jammed the sweeper vanes? sounds like the little coffee coming out of the chute is simply volume of grinds pushing out. we had a similar amount of grind build-up as in your photo. maybe you could stick a pen in there while grinding to see if vanes are moving.. maybe even do it when the machine is free of beans
    Last edited by Javaphile; 7th March 2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: commercial link removed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast