Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 feedback

Quote Originally Posted by yehyoubet View Post
    Honest _Gaza, what faults did the second machine have? Sounds like a dead on arrival replacement policy, 2 in a row wouldn't have me happy at all!
    * "Fill Tank" indicator permanently flashing
    * Temperature Gauge dead

Sunbeam and Harvey Norman are organising a replacement machine (this will be the 3rd).

Quote Originally Posted by hoolahoopa View Post
    HG and yyb got it to move guys had to get a finer grind and tamp a lot harder aswell as updose a bit. Nice crema and a good long, slow pour. Starting to work this machines wants out a bit better now.
    cheers
    Good to hear. This Machine is perfectly capable of making a nice cuppa (all things being equal)

Took the plunge and replaced my EM5900 with this. Great machine in principle, but it appears I've got a dud. Brand new and already leaking at the group head. At first I was overdosing a bit (dose is harder to get right than my EM5900, as you need to just about guess the fill level) and it was leaking badly but even dosing such that the tamper sits in as far as it should, it's still leaking a bit during the pour. Sigh... got to take it back already. Impressed with the power of the steam wand though, so much more power than my old machine. Foam was a bit top heavy at first try but I wasn't expecting it to heat up so quick. Will exchange it tomorrow and hope I don't get a dud the second time or that this isn't endemic of the line.

Even tried under-dosing slightly with a very light tamp. Still leaks. Could be the group handle is slightly undersize/misshaped or just a poor seal on the rubber. Would obviously prefer not to have to return the whole machine and try another group handle instead.

I will add, wow, the included tamper is complete and utter junk. It's rough as sandpaper and almost grinds up your surface rather than polishing it. Can anyone recommend a tamper (hello sponsors!) that fits the included baskets perfectly? Interesting the sparse spacing of the holes on the two cup basket - almost like it's been designed to restrict flow similar to the dual wall baskets but with a different method. Anyone tried with a more traditional basket with more holes? Better/worse?

You could try just undoing the showerscreen and remove the blue seal etc. then replace them. I replaced the blue seal on a 6910 and got leakage - sent off and bought a new grouphead collar and in the meantime found the blue seal hadn't snugged up properly - remove/replace and it worked fine.

I will try that Journeyman.

I'll be the bastard son of a hundred maniacs, that actually worked. Disassembled the shower screen(s) and seal and put them back together. Still need to absolutely lock it as hard as I can, but no more leaks. Bit of a worry still for a brand new machine - I still have 14 days to replace, but I might just cal Sunbeam and get them to send some replacement seals. May have been pinching the rubber tight in one section or something. Or maybe it just needed a good clean. Hard to get at the seal to clean any grinds off, big squeeze for the tips of my fingers. It's weird in that it has dual shower screens - this traps some water so that the shower screen is often wet after shot even after a wipe down, could be a minor problem for doing successive pours. Have gone through a whole bag of fine Cosmorex coffee just experimenting with it. Seems like dosing by scoop/weight still the best option. The default double shot goes for way too long, it left a puck so dry it stuck to the shower screen. Still got some fine tuning to do, will surely be better once I get a half decent tamper. Milk is a pleasure and wife may even be able to use it now as it takes much less technique and is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalz View Post
    I'll be the bastard son of a hundred maniacs, that actually worked.
    *grins* You sound so surprised...

One good thing about Sunbeams - you tend to learn a lot in a hurry. And a lot of what we learn can translate across to any machine. (e.g. how to tamp to the needs of particular beans, what can go wrong with a shot, how to self-tune to account for different options)

Have a read of My New Machine for some of the learning curve I went through (and also some good advice from a number of folk on CS) - a lot of it will tranfer across to your new machine. Another thread with useful info is Sunbeam EM6910 Screaming / Too Much Air In Milk

Have fun with your new toy...

I still need to lock it as hard right as I can, with more force than my wife for example could apply, to prevent water or steam escaping. That shouldn't be the case. Still tossing up whether to do an exchange. Getting consistency now by measuring beans out, takes almost the same dose old 52mm machine did, just a tad more. Beans are good Cosmorex but from local supermarket so likely a few weeks old and not pouring like new beans would. Looking forward to getting a new tamper and some truly fresh roasted beans. Have to be honest that aside from convenience of this new machine the actual coffee I got from my old one is just as good. Maybe the grinder is the limiting factor. I do like the pour spouts better though and keep forgetting I can do the milk at the same time. Noticed that the 65 degrees is hotter than I'd been doing my milk, which was probably closer to 55. It does match a thermometer though so it is accurate. I'm just much more used to the temp I was doing by hand.

I've had my em7000 for about 5 months and haven't experienced those issues. Used daily and the portafilter still locks in straight at 6 o'clock position, no leaks.
    Machine hasn't skipped a beat.

If I experienced the issues you mentioned, I would ask for a replacement.

If the lock in for the PF is so difficult I'd be taking it back as well. It should be a firm lock, not lotsa muscle. Having to jam it home will have you going through seals on a regular basis. It's new. It shouldn't be rocket science to get it working properly.

I will swap it over this week and hope I don't get a dud on the second go. I replaced my EM5900 several times in first few weeks and then it lasted over 3 years (and in truth, I probably broke it by making hot chocolates with the steam wand).

I will swap it over this week and hope I don't get a dud on the second go. I replaced my EM5900 several times in first few weeks and then it lasted over 3 years (and in truth, I probably broke it by making hot chocolates with the steam wand).
    I don't know. That essentially translates as "I broke it by using it".
    Using the steam wand should have been the least stressful task for that machine.

This was my old machine. The steam wand was partially blocked with caramelised milk/sugar/cocoa or something and I didn't realise in time, and the extra pressure must have cracked some part of the assembly internally, reducing the steam pressure and making it a bit watery. Still works but you need considerable technique and patience for the milk.

Ah. I thought you just meant the wear and tear of steaming. Fair enough.

I was running some cleaner through my 6910, including the steam wand (& yes I know what the manual says ) and got distracted while the steam was running. After about 15 mins it was still popping a bit (as in not really an even steaming sound but pretty smooth) then suddenly it burped (sounds better than 'farted' ) and spat a bit and the volume (both sound and amount) of steam rose markedly. I had to relearn how to do my milk the difference was so great.

And that was after the machine had been cleaned thoroughly when I got it 2nd hand and the wand had the cleaner through it (although not for 15 minutes) at least one other time. Because I use reverse-osmosis water exclusively in the machine I figured the wand wouldn't need a lot of cleaning and my barista course instructor had taught me to always remove the milk just before the steam stops, so I figured I wasn't getting milk up there at all.

So, given the condition of the machine when I got it, I figure that block in the steam path must have been there all along - only the extended steaming had finally loosened it. The little bit of water in the container I had under the wand was a dirty brown after it cleared its throat.

So now the steam wand gets a thorough clean every time I clean the coffee parts.

New one locks just left of 180 degrees and no leaking. Phew! The tamper with this one perhaps came from a different production run, and is much smoother, no longer grinding up my puck instead of polishing it. Will still pick up a better one but not such a rush now. Few minor flaws on the group handle, might ask Sunbeam for a replacement (always nice to have a spare). Learned it's hard to do milk for a single cup with the steam wand, it's too powerful. I have a 400mL jug that might do a better job. Temperature lags a bit (just like a real thermometer), so will need to cut it off before it hits the grey area on the machine or risk scalding it.

Glad to hear the problems turned out to be faults with that machine, not endemic. Eventually the 7000 or whatever replaces it will probably be what I upgrade to - but unless something goes wrong, it will be grinder first...

Yes, good to hear the new machine is working smoothly. I've found 400ml jugs to be a sweet spot in terms of ease of milk frothing for this machine.

Drip tray is a weak point as someone else said. Water comes out much too close to edge and holes too far apart. Have taken to catching my purge in a container instead.

My "single" basket dose is 12-13g. Crazy. Double basket dose is about 18-19g. The single with 12g makes a very very nice coffee for one. Hope the coffee I ordered arrives before the weekend!

TampIt said he was using only his 7g VST basket even though he used to use the double SB one. Maybe the single SB baskets were too small to give good coffee at the performance they achieve?

Did your EM7000 come with double walls or have they given up on those? Never used mine and have 4 of them in the bottom drawer. I'm getting about 1.5cm of crema on a double shot now so I really can't see the point of trying the double wall ones.

The em7000 comes with single wall baskets only.
    I've also found the single holds about 14g and the double about 18g. Both give nice shots of coffee and I have found no need to change grind settings between the two.

They are single walled only but as I said earlier in the thread, the holes are widely spaced on the double (sort of half the amount of holes you'd expect to there to be). I wonder if this is some kind of compromise on the double wall baskets and if getting baskets with the usual number of holes would improve the extraction.

If you are going to buy baskets, I thoroughly recommend the VST's. Mark at Pullman (site sponsor) has them at the best price I could find. I'd recommend a 15g for personal and a 22g for sharing...

And a naked for personal and put the 22g in a double spout PF for when you have company

I was playing with the settings and discovered that the default steam temperature is -10 (program) for my machine. The manual says it should be 1 cup (ie. 0). Even when I did a factory reset, it went back to -10. Can anyone else comment? Do you think this was a factory adjustment to compensate for production variables?

No idea for a 7000 but on my EM6910 my temp is +5 and dryness is +3 I think. (i.e. it is dryer steam than factory) How did you find what the setting currently is?

When you put the button combination in (hold down 2 cup and press power for steam temperature), it lights up the one that it is currently set to.

Lights up the one 'what?' If lights are off and I hold down 2cup and press power it cycles to on, holds briefly on single cup light then all lights come on. If lights are on and I hold 2cup and press power it starts pouring me a double shot.

The only way I know on the 6910 what my settings are is to return to factory and then set them. Is the 7000 different to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    The only way I know on the 6910 what my settings are is to return to factory and then set them. Is the 7000 different to that?
    All the buttons have an LED behind them. When you put a programming combination in, it lights up the current setting (ie. whichever button you would press to set it on that setting). If you take no action for 5 seconds, it restarts the machine.

Ah... I see the confusion - I meant how did you know it was -10. For the 6910, each press of the +/- button increments or decrements by a particular amount - e.g. after pressing 2cup+Power to get the steam temp program, the other buttons (which need to be pressed in 5 secs. work like:
    Power: -10
    Manual: -5
    Double cup: +5
    Program: +10

Pressing multiple times increments it by that much for each press.

So my question was how you could tell it was set to -10 - all you can tell for actual figures as far as I know is to reset to Factory and then increment to the figures you want. e.g. my steam is 10 higher than factory and +0.4secs dryer to give me the steam I want.

I hadn't realised the light changed after you pressed the combo. But even so, in my dryness instance there is no +0.4 - it is 2 x 0.2. (I think - I might have to revisit the whole idea and see if I have actually changed it twice)

They are single walled only but as I said earlier in the thread, the holes are widely spaced on the double (sort of half the amount of holes you'd expect to there to be). I wonder if this is some kind of compromise on the double wall baskets and if getting baskets with the usual number of holes would improve the extraction.
    Glad to see you are working through your issues.

I recently met a 7000 and feel even the original 6900/ 6910 baskets (horrible) are actually better. I used a 15g VST ridgeless (critical, the ridged are not as good) on the same machine and transformed it: far better stronger coffee than their oversized double basket.

Also, if you are considering getting really serious about your coffee, you can order a 316 Pullman Premium tamper (or their cheaper ones for that matter, they are a site sponsor) to match their shipped VST baskets. Not cheap, however the VST's require a flat bottomed tamper and the one I saw with the 7000 was curved. As it was with a few other demo machines, I am unsure what it actually shipped with.

Hope this helps

TampIt
    PS: a 7g VST would also probably make a better & stronger coffee than that awful SB double, however they are a total PITA to set up compared to the VST 15g ridgeless. Minimise your grief with the 15g for now.
    Also, the VST's throw out the gauge reading on the 7000, just like the 6910.

Poured my first drinkable straight espresso today, after my fresh coffee arrived from Bay Beans. Poured like a dream and not a hint of sourness or bitterness. My EM0450 is so consistent grind-wise (essentially only need two settings, 16 for fresh beans, 15 for older beans) I don't think I'll use the EM0480 once that arrives other than to inspect it. Got a 58.3mm tamper on the way from Jetblack espresso. Also got a bargain looking pack of 60 Cafetto S15 tablets from Officeworks (38c each rather than ~$2.50 each for Sunbeam tablets), I'll let you know how they go in the machine (hopefully they fit in the backflush disk). Not used to backflushing as my old machine didn't need it, just descaling, but even just doing it with water results in a lot of loose grinds being flushed out so I can see the need for it.

S12 tablets worked fine for the backflushing cycle. Slightly undersize for the stopper, but that's better than being oversize. Amazed at the grinds/colour of water that came out with the cleaning cycle after only a few weeks. 38c a tablet vs. something like $2 for the Sunbeam ones.

Got my tamper today from Jetblack. What a joy it is to tamp with. First shot was perfect. I must say the consistency and shot length is just much better with the 58mm basket compared to the 51mm on my old machine, and this is with beans which are now 1 week since opening - I'm guessing when you're trying to get coffee through a deeper puck, channelling is likely to be more pronounced. It could likely be improved further with a VST basket but I'm already so happy with my consistency. Have also developed a good technique using the 400mL jug for a single, although it still gets very full and roiling as it nears temperature.

So the 15g VST ridgeless baskets, with a flat bottomed tamper is the go? Is it that much of an improved taste? As the pressure is thrown out on the gauge, which is a helper to get a pour for taste, so just wondering how its going with those that have made the change and why?

Hey yyb,
    Hows your steamer going mine seems to have lost some poke over the last week or so. It does get wiped and purged after every coffee. Was thinking maybe a descale might help but havent really had the machine long enough to warrant this i think.
    Mate i got given a stainless 58mm tamper by the guys at a new pop up coffee store on murray st in perth, the diference is chalk and cheese to the one given in the package. Must say i am very happy

Hmm, makes me wonder if I should do a "calibration" test on the milk wand to test how long it takes to bring a certain volume of milk (or water) up to 60 degrees, so I can keep an eye on it.

Darkfalz, it seems good once it gets going but takes a bit. It coughs sputters etc in the beginning then sort of surges its way to get going. Hows that compare to yours, i'm sure it wasn't like that at the start.

Seems to get to almost full steam power within a two or three seconds, which is pretty impressive to me. Considering this was the part to (finally) go on my last machine it's a bit of a worry.

The steam is pretty much the same on mine as when I got it hoolahoopa, justpurge it, then steam the milk, wipe, purge with a good burst of steam and wipe. That bit of spluttering at the start is just getting rid of the condensed steam as it comes up to temperature, if you give it a burst before you want to steam into the tray it ready to use with immediate steam. Remember you`ve got the cleaning pin there, I haven't used that yet, and I haven`t descaled yet either. I`ll give it a birthday at a year old

Hi all, looks like everyone is enjoying their 7000's overall. I went from a 6910 up to a Giotto PP and back down to a 7000 recently - for various reasons!

In my view, the 7000 is a good step up from the 6910 in performance and guess that they exist side by side in the shops to allow consumers to buy a decent machine in the 6910 that allows them to use supermarket coffee. The 7000 really needs decent freshly ground coffee.

The 7000 is much more like the Giotto in terms of grind and pressure of extraction but I have to confess, the Giotto wins on taste and mouthfeel. Interestingly though, I think the 7000 does a better job of texturing milk. It does take twice as long as the Giotto, but the quality is superb.

Some have mentioned changing the baskets. Don't! The Sunbeam baskets are right up at the top of the tree, to the extent that others, including myself, used them for top-end machines. If you have an issue with extraction, its somewhere else I live in a soft water area where there has been no scale in my kettle in nearly a decade of use, but if your kettle furs up, you will need to descale your machine regularly - those thermablocks need looking after.

I'm quite content with my 7000. Tempted to go back to exotic Italian, but only if it had a dual boiler and rotary pump - and they are way too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by yehyoubet View Post
    So the 15g VST ridgeless baskets, with a flat bottomed tamper is the go? Is it that much of an improved taste? As the pressure is thrown out on the gauge, which is a helper to get a pour for taste, so just wondering how its going with those that have made the change and why?
    Hi yehyoubet

Yehyoubet it is a big move upwards (sorry, too easy a target).

Depending upon the strength of the roast* and / or presence of a naked pf (which seems to massively multiply strength, clarity & quality in the case of VST's) a 15g ridgeless is probably the best starting point. It is way more tolerant of grinding / dosing / tamping than the 7g. Oh, as above, a flat tamper is essential: no curves. Any VST is brilliant at exposing technical snafu's so if you do not wish to tinker they may drive you crazy. My rule of thumb is that relative newbies have less to unlearn so they find it easier (and often beat us "coffee oldies" because they get a feel for them faster than we do). I made the 15 to 22g's dance in a couple of weeks(!). The 7g: every time I change roast I still have to fine tune it a little. Probably another old retained habit I haven't uncovered yet is still tripping me up. I usually can sort a whole cafe's setup from scratch in a few hours (including cleaning things out etc. etc.). Journeyman (espresso newbie at the time) nailed the SOB's almost straight off: see what I mean, unlearning issues.

* which may bear very little resemblance to the dark / light thing. There are many, many other factors involved in roast strength.

The main practical differences using VST w a naked p/f:

1) Need to grind finer (correctly calibrated em480 has 11 to 16 as espresso range. 15g VST works best from 9 to 10). Smaller, more precise holes and better flow rate seem to do this bit. FWIW, at the cheaper grinder end, they seem to prefer conical burrs (like SB em480) rather than flat burrs (like Rocky, K3). No idea why, however at the "pointy end" the difference disappears: My Vario (flat burrs) seems to be up there with any other "big beast conical" for VST use.
    2) Need to dose less (often the puck is sloppier or even muddy ala turkish coffee mud). I read on a site somewhere that the "Art of Puckology" is a pointless pursuit. Lately, I agree.
    3) Takes a lot longer to blond. Until 1 & 2 are sorted, over a minute is not unusual. The trick is to get as much extraction as you can between (say) 22 and 35 seconds & then fine tune it to match your taste buds. Given the higher extraction ratio of VST's, that is probably where a lot of the extra flavour comes from. FWIW, also saves on coffee... can't hurt your wallet after purchase...
    4) VST's have zero tolerance of stale grounds. 2g of old grounds will easily trash a 15g double beyond "green mermaid's worst".
    5) The ratio of grind texture to dosage is critical. They actually have a really wide tolerance of grinds compared to almost any other basket I have encountered as long as you match it via the inverse dosage.

Much more info is on VST Filter Basket - Whats Your Experience Been Like?. reading it carefully and exploring other links & comments will really shorten your process of dialling them in.

The difference in coffee when you dial a VST in: Way, way stronger, better initial taste & mouth feel, more persistent & cleaner aftertaste and a lot more detail in the cuppa (for better or worse: poor coffees have nowhere to hide).

FYI, Mostly my 50+ baskets are ranging from 17 to 21g. I have probably made less than 5 espresso singles from 1970 to the VST baskets a year or two ago. At that time I would have taken (and lost) a bet that singles had no place in my home setup. A long term coffee fiend friend from Sydney visited the other day and I made him a (very) light roast Colombian latte w my 7g VST. He commented "that is why I love your coffee, it is always like rich chocolate". He couldn't believe it came from a single until I made another one in front of him. That is the kind of difference VST's make.

Hope this helps.

TampIt

After playing carefully with dose and tamp (standard basket) here's my first real "god shot" with the machine.

Sunbeam EM7000 espresso shot - YouTube

Tasted as good as it looked.

So an excellent shot is definitely possible with the standard basket. The perfect dose I've found is just on 19g (ground coffee, not beans in) carefully levelled and tamped. I want to get a better set of scales though with 0.1g accuracy and one which doesn't switch it self of so quickly if the weight hasn't changed.

Spent puck was dry, no hint of channelling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic shot!

You should be able to get an even richer pour with a little less coffee and a tiny bit finer, but right now you are fine tuning perfection. Well done.

I'm playing with my storage method again. I store them in FoodSaver containers (and then in a dark cupboard). I find that foamy, open pour like in the video goes away after 2 or 3 days when I vacuum pack them like this - I can still get a nice shot, but it's thinner and doesn't "open up" after the initial slow start. I suspect when I let it run all the way, it sucks out first the air around the beans and them starts sucking the "gas" out of the beans and possibly opening up the pores in the beans a bit. It stops them going stale as quick but it also makes the shot "flat". From what I understand it's CO2 released during the grinding that gives you the crema and foam.

What I'm trying now is to only vacuum 1/3-1/2 and then stop - so it takes a lot of air out of there, and gives an air tight seal, but it doesn't suck anything out of the beans. These beans were purchased from my preferred place, when the last batch were from a closer roastery that I have often had no great results with.

There is plenty of misinformation on bean storage. Fortunately for us, its the easiest thing of all to test Buy/roast a kg of beans and store them all in different ways for two weeks. eg fridge, freezer, cupboard, vacuum etc. See if you can tell the difference. If you can, go with the best!

I did that test, and my freshly roasted beans go in a zip-lock bag in fridge...

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    There is plenty of misinformation on bean storage. Fortunately for us, its the easiest thing of all to test Buy/roast a kg of beans and store them all in different ways for two weeks. eg fridge, freezer, cupboard, vacuum etc. See if you can tell the difference. If you can, go with the best!

I did that test, and my freshly roasted beans go in a zip-lock bag in fridge...
    Not much misinformation re bean storage on this site jaybee, unless your referring to what you've posted above.

Using one way valve bags
    CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Other Stuff - 1kg Stand-up Valve Coffee Snobs Bags
    designed for the purpose, stored in a cool dark place (not the fridge or freezer) is pretty well accepted as the best method of storage.
    Last edited by Yelta; 24th November 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: After thoughts.

What I'm trying now is to only vacuum 1/3-1/2 and then stop - so it takes a lot of air out of there, and gives an air tight seal, but it doesn't suck anything out of the beans.
    If enough air is removed to give an air tight seal then there is a vacuum in the container which is sucking stuff out of the beans.

Java "Don't ya love such highly technical terms?!?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast