Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 feedback

Sunbeam EM7000 feedback

I`ve got a Sunbeam EM7000 with a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. Looking back through the forums there is not a lot of issues being posted about the EM7000, so, I`m posting about the lack of issue.
    I use a EM6910 at work, with a EM0480 grinder so can claim to make some comparison.
    Previous at home EM5400 and a EM0410 grinder bought as second hand, (put a tube back on repair), while working out what machine I really wanted.

Once you get the EM0480 grinder right, I mean this one settles at a setting of 3 to 5, from new, and I think the issue with the EM0480 is well documented, the sheer fact there are shims available is the give away, I`ve got 2 on order but won`t use them unless required (Sunbeam shim on E-bay). Sunbeam customer service had me send the first EM0480 grinder back and exchange it the next day, it would not grind fine enough at all. Pretty good chap at customer service.
    It`s dead easy to get a coffee pressure dial reading of smack bang in the middle of the orange, every time. Tamp the same to 4mm from the top, and pay attention to adjusting the grinder only.
    Heaps of steam, the milk temp indicator makes it dead easy, just keep an eye for the mid orange mark on the milk temp dial.

The EM7000 is a huge improvement on the EM6910 in my opinion, they`ve been out for 9 months, if there`s issues or lack there of, put them up, this is my first post (my interest in coffee is making a repeatable good cup every time, very novice, while those 2 dials on the EM7000 is in the orange its all good)

That's a good report, thanks.

I've had some long ummmm and ahhhh sessions over the EM7000. We were so burned by our experience with the EM6900 and abysmal Sunbeam support that we swore off all Sunbeam products for the rest of our lives (including chucking out the hand mixer we had at the time, too).

But I've read a lot of good things about the 7000, and it is a decent price, too.

Yeh, I`ve only read the advertised, and used, bought, enjoy the product. I was hoping to read some informative posts, from other users of the EM7000 (called networking), on how they`re going with their machine, grinders and methods. (nothing of note has been mentioned so far). Looking back at most products in all brands the issues are well documented, which is good, buy the spare part or improved spare part that gives you grief and move on. And that is what should be communicated about now for the EM7000, the issues, the fixes, the mods, or lack of issue thereof. I`ll be keeping out of "coffee politics for who`s the best brand" , so only genuine replies to this thread. Keep both dials in the orange

Other than the temp gauge and slightly different look, how does the EM7000 differ to the EM6910 to make a huge improvement over it?

Glad you are enjoying your new machine!

Paul

My 6910 makes a decent coffee when I get the beans, grind and tamp right. I understand about the dials for novices but I was taught to steam the milk by touch (when you can't, that's hot enough) and the other aspects would seem to be not to do with the machine so much as the operator.

I know the EM0480 and the EM0450 fairly well - check out my thread on the things I went through with the 480 - but I am told they both are lacking in the ability to produce consistent particle size for a given grind setting - that can make a significant difference not just to other machines, but even on the day-to-day use of the 6910.

What is your experience with coffee? How does your set up compare to other equipment?

Not trying to be proddy here, just curious - in recent times there have been a number of people come on here to extol the virtues of the EM7000 - it would be handy to know the depth of your knowledge and experience so we can evaluate how much credence we can place on your recommendation.

I too have noticed the lack of criticism of the EM7000 since it was first introduced, at the moment have the EM6910 but intend to upgrade to the newer machine if I dont hear of any major problems in the next couple of months.

Well, the EM0480 grinder had settled out at a 3 setting to get a pour right in the middle of the orange. Yep, those 2 shims (0.25mm each) did arrive from e-bay ($1 each plus $0.60 postage) and I couldn`t help myself, decided to get this grinder doing what I paid for it to do, grind at 12. I really loathe to fix something myself out of the box, that`s some grinder feedback. It`s even worse when it`s the second grinder, because the first grinder exchanged was worse out of the box. There`s some more free feedback.
    I pulled it apart to see 5 shims already in there from new, good grief. Give it a clean, followed the e-bay shim supplier instructions on the net, and give it a run. It took both extra shims to get a perfect pour in the orange at 12 on the grind setting. Mathematicians, that`s 7 shims. I guess the best grinder in the EM0480 is the one that`s been shimmed to suit, I would never have thought 7 shims though. Production tolerances look poor for the grinder.

Journeyman, my first post in this thread has all the details re coffee making machines and grinder set ups of my past experience.

Steiny555 Paul, with the improvements that I have noticed of the EM7000 to the EM6910, without looking under the hood, I notice there is plenty more steam, being delivered better.? Obviously I like the temp gauge but like most was used to doing that by hand. The sheer fact that the EM7000 comes out with only a single wall filter is basically steering away from supermarket beans and pre-ground coffee in my opinion (it`s limiting as well to having to use a conical burr grinder), so the call center would have to have punters ringing saying I can`t get pressure on a pour. They`ll probably tell you to get their EM0480 grinder and fresh beans and I can tell you for nothing out of the box that you`ll need to shim the grinder. So, what I have to say here is, when both dials are in the middle of the orange, mate it`s a great cup, because it`s a single wall filter, and it`s repeatable. Going naked might be a problem, new angle group head. The EM7000 is quieter than the EM6910, heaps quieter. I`ll have a look around for tech stuff on the differences, but just using it is enough for a "one step above novice" to tell. I don`t think a novice would enjoy it, to be honest, to get the grinder right, then start on the machine and yourself, I would think having some prior experience or someone to steer you would suit.

Hey yehyoubet, I did read your 1st post and I wasn't having a go at you. (just in case you thought I was) I was genuinely curious as to whether you'd had other home/work machines before the 6910. When i got my 6910 I was probably a bit enthusiastic over being able to make good coffee at home and had a number of people tell me to settle down because almost every other machine/grinder was capable of better than I was getting.

So I was curious as to whether you had experience OTHER than the SB's with which to compare the 6910/7000 experience.

Out of the box with 5 shims and STILL needing adjustment is BS - something so poorly made from the production line should be sent back and scrapped or fixed.

My old EM0480 was able to grind fine enough to choke my Silvia as it came out of the box. No shims required. I think I normally ran the grinder on a setting of about 5 with fresh beans

It`s all good Journeyman, the em6910 is still at work and shared with 50 people, with an em0480 grinder, it grinds at 13 with who knows how many shimmy's, there`s a few on each shift that show it some love, its not all neglected. The em5400 comes away on hols with me, with em0410 grinder, it goes better than walking to the shop.....and home is the em7000 and the 7 shimmy em0480. Agreed, it`s only 3 machines, and the point of this whole thread to to get some shared learning on the pitfalls and upside of the em7000 machine being out for less than a year, the grinder pitfalls are well documented. It`s BS, and as long as there`s adjustment either way for different beans the grinder can stay. I thought I can fix it for $2.60 or continue getting run around.

Yeh Mentasm, what grinder have you now, and is it any good? I want to hear more about good ones. The em-0480 arrived with 5 shims in it already, right out of the box, and yes it run on 3 to 5. It would choke on 2 with a heavy tamp, touchy. 2 more shims and its a 12. You know the instructions say to grind at a 10 to 12 setting I had a laugh. I saw a lot of posts on here, saying that the reassemble process is the reason for the grinder performing at a low setting of 1 to 7 for eg. Don`t think so, if you can close your eyes and touch your nose with your finger you can reassemble it right, and the availability of shims is a giveaway, they`re there because you need them. I am sure some run well out of the box, but forums are full of frustrated users with questions. I bet a lot of you closed your eyes before and touched your nose.....

I wonder if they`re selling many EM7000`s? Or if the run out sales of EM6910`s are still strong......cause I`m still chasing the good and bad on EM7000`s as time goes on.

I upgraded to the rocky with a doser. Much, much happier with it. Cost me around $300 and was money well spent. Grind is very consistent, quicker than the em0480 and not as messy

I have had an EM6900 for around seven years now.
    The ONLY issue was soft metal in the group head collar. It's had two replacements and yesterday a loud "crack" sound and grounds everwhere suggest a final catastrophic failure.
    So I'm in the market for a new machine.
    I see that the sales information for the EM7000 says that the collar is brass. If this has fixed the "soft metal" problem I will almost certainly buy the new machine.
    Can anyone comment please.

The collar on the 6910 (and presumably the 6900) is brass, but all brasses are not equal.
    I think you will find the collars of most espresso machines are brass as it is a readily machined non-corroding material, so probably only time and experience will tell if Sunbeam have improved the collar on the 7000.

Russell

Just suffered the same problem - developed a leaking group head on a 6900 and ripped out the collar srews by overtightening the handle - oops...so destroyed collar (it was a replacement one too - growl) and decided to upgrade to a newer machine to avoid throwing good manoey after bad. So have just found a 7000R (the red one) at a good price. It looks amazing! So far one coffee - not bad, suspect I under filled the basket so need to experiment with that and perhaps grind finer (I have a 480 grinder but it seems to be a well behaved one, makes fabulous stovetop coffee with grind on 16)

How`d you go markir? Have you dialed in all your pours in the orange yet mate?

Looks like I underfilled the basket the first time. 2nd coffee I ground a good raised mound into the basket (but kept same grinder setting 16). The result is like night and day - really good coloured crema! I noticed the pressure dial sitting just under the red. Overall a good coffee - better than any I made on the 6900, and better than I've had in many cafes. And mamaged to get the milk ok as well - the steam wand is really good on the new model!

Oh and I forgot to say - I made use of the wee rubber thingy on the bottom of the group handle to rest it on the edge on the bench and lean on it for a righteous amount of tamp pressure (possibly a bit much). But overall, pretty happy with the changes Sunbeam have made moving from the 6900 to this model.

Also I'm using supermarket beans (a Screaming Turtle dark variant) - and they are probably a bit over roasted now that I have a machine capable of extracting coffee properly. So I'm going to need to try out some better ones. But overall the 7000 is looking good.

Changed beans (Kapiti based roaster), not such a dark bean - much better result. I've set the grinder to grind on demand and adjusted the fineness to 15.

Another point - it appears the handle fill amount is a critical factor I was not really aware of until now. A nice gently heaped mound is the way to go - tamped not too excessively. I note the 7000 manual suggests grinding, tamping, grinding some more and tamping and finally grinding some more and tamping - i.e 3 grind + tamps. I have *not* tried that. I'd be interested to know if anyone has followed the suggestion (suspect could run into over pressurization and seal failure so am wary).

yeh i don`t do the 3 grind and tamps, I just grind and tamp twice hard enough to get that needle into the orange on the pour. don`t worry about the seal, they`re cheap and easy, and as long as it flows i wouldn`t worry

Hi there...I've just ordered the EM7000 and a Breville Smart Grinder - looking forwards to comparing notes once I've got it next week!

Cheers

Rob that sounds like the go, let us know how it goes. In a couple of cups with prior experience you should be right on if the grinder is a good thing. The EM7000 i bought was originally for me, now my lovely wife and kids have taken a liking to a milo or chai latte at night on frothy milk, which is great, it pays for the lease on the bench space in her kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by yehyoubet View Post
    Rob that sounds like the go, let us know how it goes. In a couple of cups with prior experience you should be right on if the grinder is a good thing. The EM7000 i bought was originally for me, now my lovely wife and kids have taken a liking to a milo or chai latte at night on frothy milk, which is great, it pays for the lease on the bench space in her kitchen.
    Sounds more like an opportunity for some latte art practice! I make my family Hot Chocs for my practice.
    My sister just got one of these machines and I can't wait to try it out!

Loving the Breville Smart Grinder so far. I am having an issue with the EM7000 (love it in white!) with water dripping from the group handle when espresso is being made.

The pressure dial goes right into the middle of the orange which is great, but steaming water drips down the group handle and over the portafilter into the cups below. I've tried pushing the portafilter and grouphandle tighter but still have the same problem.

Not sure if I'm potentially underdosing or what! Also have to get the hang of steaming the milk now that I have a more powerful (and noisy!) steam wand.

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Loving the Breville Smart Grinder so far. I am having an issue with the EM7000 (love it in white!) with water dripping from the group handle when espresso is being made.

The pressure dial goes right into the middle of the orange which is great, but steaming water drips down the group handle and over the portafilter into the cups below. I've tried pushing the portafilter and grouphandle tighter but still have the same problem.

Not sure if I'm potentially underdosing or what! Also have to get the hang of steaming the milk now that I have a more powerful (and noisy!) steam wand.
    Have you tried the 5c test to determine if you are underdosing or not? The other option is a dodgy group seal, but this would be surprising with a brand new machine.

Thanks David - will try tomorrow with the 5c test and see what happens! The puck certainly isn't soft when it comes out of the portafilter so we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post

The only time I get that with my 7000 is when I've overdosed it rather than underdosed. I can normally tell from the feel of how hard the handle is to lock in that it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by raybau View Post
    The only time I get that with my 7000 is when I've overdosed it rather than underdosed. I can normally tell from the feel of how hard the handle is to lock in that it's over.
    Worked better today - adjusted the smartgrinder to increase the dose by one setting rather than manually adding to top up (perhaps too much) and got no leaks and a better end result. Faint imprint of the shower head (right term?) on top of the puck

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I've had one incident of what you described too - and it was when I had overdosed, and yes I agree with Raybau - the handle 'felt different' when locking it. I did wonder if I had grinds jammed in the sealing area of the group head. Anyway seems like the dose amount is something to watch with this machine.

I just did an overdose on purpose too see the same result, so the dose amount does seem to be watched on this machine. It doesn`t like an underdose either, you just don`t pressure up into the orange as easy. I did a one cup purge after without the group head on and it cleaned up ok. Good stuff

I`ve got a Sunbeam EM7000 with a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. Looking back through the forums there is not a lot of issues being posted about the EM7000, so, I`m posting about the lack of issue.
    I'm thinking the lack of posts about the 7000 is not unexpected. The EM6910 is a great little machine when it works and most people that have one seem to love it. The problem with the 6910 is not how WELL it works, but how LONG it works. The big issue with the 6910 was a very low life expectancy on the group head collar. This is not a problem people in a domestic setting are going to start complaining about within 9 months.

I also was attracted to the 7000 in April when I saw it. I stopped myself buying it as soon as I saw it because I realised the only reason I was in the market for a coffee machine at all is because my 6910, bought 2 years ago, is now showing signs of collar wear and the even with a new seal the handle goes to the right quite a lot past the forward position it had when new. It's not yet leaking, but when it does, rather than replace the collar, I'm thinking of moving away from Sunbeam. I've been buying a new Sunbeam every 2 years up to now. This is my first time with the 6910 - the rest were the EM48something. With those, my feeling was 2 years was fair for the price. With these machines, my feeling is if they are supposed to be "commercial quality" machines as Sunbeam claims, then 2 years in a domestic setting is not reasonable, especially given I make 1 cup every weekday, and 2 cups a day on weekends.

So when this machine needs a collar replacement, if people don't have anything different to say about the collar, I'll be looking to move to a better made machine.

Given 7000 seems to be the 6910 with an extra gimmick, I won't be expecting much.

On a review I found the following, I was concerned with the same as it doesn`t take long to look up the em6910 short comings.......but this is what the chap said of the em7000, "What I did observe was that the group collar is now made of a brass material and should resolve the issues that were seen in the EM6910. Mind you, those that overdose will continue to cause issues, but it will be at a lesser rate." Time will tell I say.

So I went and bought the EM7000, and a Breville smart grinder. Seems to work fine, but I am a novice. Have some questions hoping someone can answer.
    1. How do I know if I am under or overdosing? Currently having the grinder set a standard one shot amount,
    2. Changing the steam setting to a wetter or dryer steam, what effect would that have? Would a dryer steam make it more powerful or not?
    3. What should the puck look/feel like ideally? Mine seems a bit wet, is that because I have over tamped?

Hi,
    1. Do a search for the "five cent test" which will you give a good guide to dosing. Basically putting a 5c coin on top of the tamped coffee and lock in portafilter. Should just make a minor impression in the coffee.
    2 IIRC a wetter steam is more powerful, but can't recall from my 6910 experience. I'm sure there are mentions back a few years.
    3. A wet puck generally means you have underfilled the basket. Not a problem in itself, all depends on what you get in the cup
    Nothing beats experimenting, if you are more organised than me, you keep notes

Fortunate enough to do all my "training and experimenting" on the EM6900/6910..have just replaced with an EM7000 (last machine lasted just on 5 Years without issues), and as you might expect, it was an easy transition.

So far loving the machine and my only gripe is the lack of roller wheels on the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post

So far loving the machine and my only gripe is the lack of roller wheels on the base.
    Ehhh! in my kitchen the machine would soon have rolled onto the floor!

Thanks for your opinion - will soon be upgrading like you from 6910 to 7000.

I am happy with the machine after having it for a few weeks. Easy to use/clean, fast start up, and the coffee I make seems to be close to the coffee that my beans place makes. Now just need to see how reliable it is. I did get the extra 5 years warranty though so not too concerned.

Also just upgraded from my leaky old sunbeam to the 7000 With the free EM0480 via redemption and love the consistently great coffee (making use of Andy's Brazil Premium Bourbon Beans of course)
    i must have been lucky with the grinder ,set to 12 straight out of the box and grinds perfect every time !
    The guys at my local hardly normal threw in the extended 5 year replacement warranty for nicks so ditto on the lack of concern but basically so far , so good :-)

Picked up mine recently, and absolutely impressed.

It feels solid, it doesn't rattle and feel cheap like some other home machines, very large 3.5L water tank, and the quality of coffee I pulled with very little adjustment was great, miles above expectations from anything less than a $2000 machine.
    Using a Rocky grinder with it, and even the tamp it comes with seems pretty decent, the dials on the front are a bit of a novelty but a pretty good idea if you have a novice using the machine.
    The steam wand is good, no problems with it, but it's also nothing overly amazing, gets the job done with minimal fuss but certainly not up to the power of some more expensive machines IMO.

First tried with Arrosto Firehouse blend, and Red Berry 'Brazil' blend, both ended up being amazing, even on the first test shot of the day (got even better on the second and third as expected).
    If you've upgraded from any of the lower-models of sunbeam/breville machines, you'll be blown away at just how good the coffee looks coming out, it's easy to consistently get a good extraction 99% of the time and the pucks come out looking great.

There are a few other small things that I liked, the low water warning buzzer/light avoids any surprises, it comes with a blind basket insert so you can properly clean it, and again, unlike lower-end machines the dual basket actually does 2 full strength coffees.

Has anybody played around with their settings on the em7000 from standard? How were those results? For me I have left mine factory, from this thread once the grinder is dialled in, consistent tamp to get the needle to the middle of the orange on the dial, its been just right, its always interesting to know what others are up to! And why!

Has anybody played around with their settings on the em7000 from standard? How were those results? For me I have left mine factory, from this thread once the grinder is dialled in, consistent tamp to get the needle to the middle of the orange on the dial, its been just right, its always interesting to know what others are up to! And why!
    I have changed the steam setting, to shorter interval between pumps, and it does seem to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    The collar on the 6910 (and presumably the 6900) is brass, but all brasses are not equal.
    I think you will find the collars of most espresso machines are brass as it is a readily machined non-corroding material, so probably only time and experience will tell if Sunbeam have improved the collar on the 7000.

Russell
    I can tell you the collar on the EM6910 is certainly not brass, Ive replaced 2 and have another spare sitting right here which i just ran a file over the edge of to see.
    Its made from a Zinc alloy which is why its so soft. 100% not brass though.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
    Fortunate enough to do all my "training and experimenting" on the EM6900/6910..have just replaced with an EM7000 (last machine lasted just on 5 Years without issues), and as you might expect, it was an easy transition.

Have had it now for approx 2 1/2 Months and am experiencing my first gripes.

* Steam Wand control very stiff...really have to turn it hard to ensure it switches off
    * Steam continues for nearly 5 secs after turning it off
    * Espresso Pours struggle when making multiple coffees (ie 3 or 4 in succession)...gauge goes to the red zone and the espresso barely drips for the 3rd and 4th

Looks like it's a call to Sunbeam after the weekend.

Was advised to take back to store of purchase. Replacement Machine had more faults than the one it replaced. A 3rd Machine has been ordered.

Doesn't say much for quality control and should bring back vivid memories for early adopters of the EM6900.

Bought one this afternoon and have poured 4 shots but cant even get the pressure gauge to move! (it does on start up though) anyone else had this problem and can you give some tips. Might be over my head i think.

As a test...put the rubber cleaning disk in the basket and then do an espresso pour without using coffee grind.....this should at least cause the gauge to register. If it does, sounds like your grind is too coarse and water is flowing through too easily.

Are you grinding your own beans or using pre-ground ?

Cheers for the reply HG. Unfortunately using preground from zarafas at the moment till I get my free grinder. Not much choice in Kalgoorlie for beans that I know of. I will try the back flush disc today.
    Thanks.

Assuming the back flush gets the gauge to register then it is more than likely the grind is too coarse. I'm assuming the espresso pours through in about 10-15secs and is very watery with your current results.

I have found that in times of desperation, Pre-ground "illy" from the local Supermarket (comes in a sealed can) will also give a reasonable result when you don't have access to fresh beans and a Grinder.

Hoolahoopa, you have to have a consistent tamp, and a grinder and grind beans incrementally finer and finer, and the "coffee pressure"gauge will come up to the orange.
    Honest _Gaza, what faults did the second machine have? Sounds like a dead on arrival replacement policy, 2 in a row wouldn't have me happy at all!

HG and yyb got it to move guys had to get a finer grind and tamp a lot harder aswell as updose a bit. Nice crema and a good long, slow pour. Starting to work this machines wants out a bit better now.
    cheers

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast