Thread: Breville BES900 110V to 220V conversion?

Breville BES900 110V to 220V conversion?

Hi All

I have a Breville BES900 XL (Canadian version) that I would like to take with me to South Africa. Any ideas (outside of a step-down transformer) to whether it can be converted from a 110V to 220V environment? Assume I'll have to change the PC board at least, but would the rest have a simpler solution? I read somewhere that Breville had been clever with enabling this machine to work in the US without having to re-engineer everything?

Any informed help appreciated.

I think you will find a number of the major components are voltage specific and it will be a more cost effective option to sell your existing unit and purchase a unit built for the appropriate voltage (or use a step-down transformer)

Quote Originally Posted by nwood View Post
    I think you will find a number of the major components are voltage specific and it will be a more cost effective option to sell your existing unit and purchase a unit built for the appropriate voltage (or use a step-down transformer)
    Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to find specific, technical specs to ascertain whether the step-down transformer is the only reasonable option. The only supplier of Breville in South Africa does not stock this model as far as I am aware, so I'm hoping to keep this machine that I got at a great price recently.

With most machines this would be a pain, with a breville I think it would be close to impossible unless the same elements were used in the 110 & 220v models, where would you buy them since breville doesn't stock the machine in SA? You would also need two pumps, and maybe flowmeters unless they run from the control boards voltage.

Well, then step-down it is. Kinda didn't think about the pumps...duh! Thanks for the input.

Hi All,
    Has anyone been using a Breville expresso machine rated at 120 V (US) with a voltage converter for 220V? I have recently bought the BES870XL /A Barista Express machine and Breville customer service discouraged me on using power converters - why is that?
    Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks.