coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By malliemcg

Thread: Sylvia - No water from group.

Sylvia - No water from group.

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Greetings,

I have an issue that occurred today - I've not had my coffee so hopefully this makes sense: When I flick the brew switch on my Sylvia no water comes out of the group. The pump runs and seems to be very strong. I've done a bit of searching and am unsure if it's the three way valve or something else.

When I primed the machine switching it on this morning, there was a fair amount of clicking (1-2 seconds worth of click click click - similar noise to flicking the switch, but coming from down in the bowels of the machine) that was occurring just after I'd flicked the brew switch. I'd guess it would have been around the area that I have photographed.

Should I whip off the three way valve give it a clean? See what's up?

If it is borked, anywhere in Canberra going to have bits, already not enjoying the withdrawal.

M
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you get water from the steam wand when you turn on the hot water switch ??

Gary

CafeLotta - Looks like I'm at clean solenoid valve or change solenoid coil. Thanks for those links - very handy, now to get a 7/8" wrench or adjustable spanner, hopefully it's just dirty and I'll have coffee tomorrow morning!

Gazza - yeah - I get water out the steam wand.

I've pulled it out and the piston bounces up and down with little to no pressure.

I suspect now I need to get a new black thing that goes around it, which I assume is the solenoid coil.

How do I know which of these I need?
    Coffee Parts | Rancilio Silvia Electrical Components

Do you have a multimeter, if so check the resistance of the coil.

Gary

I have the flow chart image (from the removed one). I'll have to see if the old man in law has a multimeter to test the coil. Gazza - what should I be looking for some resistance or no resistance?

Appreciate the help and responses, hopefully soon I'll be having coffee again (in a way that keeps the budget sane).

The existing coil on your machine should have the relevant information printed on it. Maybe give site sponsor coffeeparts a call to see if they can supply the coil seperately if that's all you need. Site sponsor the Coffee Machinist is also worth a try or use the quote form to reach all sponsors to see who may be able to supply the coil only.

what should I be looking for some resistance or no resistance?
    No idea but if is stuffed it is likely to be open circuit i.e very high resistance. If it can wait till the weekend I can measure mine.

For some interesting info do a search on the HB forum for "solenoid valve operation"

Gary

Well it's gone open circuit between all and any of the legs, so I assume it's stuffed, now to find a replacement (posted up on the quote form)...

Thanks to all who have assisted with the process to trace the issue.

M

Replacement bit ordered, should / is there a way to close the request for quote form?

We have water from the group. Shall attempt a coffee tomorrow!
    okitoki likes this.