coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stephen28
  • 1 Post By Journeyman
  • 1 Post By mwcalder05
  • 1 Post By jdiggy

Thread: Help needed!

Help needed!

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Hi there,

I few years ago I bought my husband the Sylvia/Rocky combo for his birthday and he uses them all the time. A couple of months ago we bought a beach house and he has been transporting them back and forth when we go there for the weekend. It's his birthday again and I want to get him a coffee machine for the new place. He insists he doesn't want to spend as much money on the next one and that he's fine with a capsule coffee machine (he uses them in hotels etc and although they aren't as good he's happy enough). I need some advice on which capsule machine to get him.

Thanks!

Buy him a second hand Silvia & just transport the grinder. Capsule machine - bah!
    Journeyman likes this.

Have to agree about capsule. I did computer work for a number of schools that had a variety of them in the staff room - I'd use 2 x strongest capsules and couldn't get a decent coffee from them.

Alternatively, (to a cpa machine, look at the Sunbean EM7000 or the Breville. (ES900?) I have a Sunbeam 6910 (previous model) and it works great. Both are considerably cheaper than the next level up. Saves having to buy pods as well - just use an airtight tin of what he has at home.

Grinder might need to be the same as he has as I notice once people get used to a particular grinder they tend to stick by it - getting him an alien one might just alienate HIM.
    Last edited by Journeyman; 14th October 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    stephen28 likes this.

Get him a GS3. I've heard they are pretty good
    Dragunov21 likes this.

B85
    What about an Commercial link removed per site posting policy AeroPress, and a Kyocera Ceramic Hand Grinder CM-45
    You are looking at about $150 for some great portable coffee...
    Last edited by Javaphile; 14th October 2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided just to spend the extra and go with another Sylvia/Rocky. I don't think he'll be disappointed!
    stephen28 likes this.

Wow. He is a lucky boy