Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1532
Like Tree278Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by kawfee View Post
    Less than 3 years after purchase our Dual Boiler is dead. Hey I guess that still only works out to around $1.00 a day! Seriously though if you expect quality and long life out of your appliances, don't buy this piece of junk.
    Have you taken it for repair? Any machine needs maintenance. If it's lasted edition 3 years with zero maintenance, you've done well. If you've kept it clean, use filtered water and descale it every year, then it should be easily repairable.

I've had numerous quality Italian machines. They do need maintenance, too. And they cost when you get them serviced. No free ride there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I just bought the BEP920 package and have been watching videos and trying it today. I'm a complete newbie and I've never made coffee before. I came from a Nespresso...

I've noticed that my pucks don't come out dry, they're fairly solid but the tops are wet. Does this mean anything? Perhaps I don't have enough coffee in there.

I've also been using the single shot basket. I think it must be very hard to get right because the sides slope and so when you press the tamper in it hits the sides and your coffee underneath might not be sufficiently packed. It makes me wonder if I need to make the grinder put a bit more coffee in... though I added 2s and then it refused to extract (must have been packed too tight?)

So far I've over extracted, under extracted, played with grind size (12 seems too little, 10 may be a bit too much, next time I'll try 11). I've gone through a bag of beans and lost most of a bottle of milk. Nothing drinkable yet!

It's fun but much harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully I hit on the winning combination soon.
    1) use freshly roasted beans from a reputable roaster - not supermarket.
    2) if the tamper is hitting the slope of the single basket, there's not enough coffee. A sloppy top of the puck is also indicating that.
    3) try weighing the beans instead of worrying about the timer. 14g of beans is about right for the single breville basket with most freshly roasted espresso beans. You want the end result to be the post-tamped coffee just covering the top of the slope, ie. minutely above that level.
    4) tamp to around 30lbs (use normal scales to about 13kg's if you want to get a feel for it).
    5) you can use the razor if you want but imho it shaves off too much for the single basket. Minutely above the top of the slope seems best.

Once all the above is constant, it's just a matter of getting the grind setting right. For freshly roasted espresso beans it can be anywhere from 17 to 11 on the Smart Grinder Pro for a single basket shot. Compare with most supermarket beans where the setting is often more like 5 (and even then the result is poor). You're looking for a dark consistent creamy flow, around 25-28ml in 30 secs.

Hi everyone
    Is there any way of increasing the temperature of the steam boiler. It would be great to speed up the steaming on the machine.

Have you tried reading the manual yet?
    shapeshifter and doobs like this.

I had interesting chat with a colleague on dosing single and double shots that has confused me.... I'm using around 19g of coffee for my espresso (~30ml) using the double basket. I'm hitting the 1 cup button which is set at 29sec. How much coffee are others putting into the double basket to get 2 shots? i.e. 60ml of coffee. And what actually does the 2 cup button do. I haven't tried making 2 shots yet.... does it put more water through?

14 grams is traditionally a double and you should get 60mls in 30 seconds as a guide.
    Your 19 grams for 30mls is very restricted.

If you really want to speed up steaming you can drill out a couple of the holes in the tip. I preened two out to 1.5mm and it copies with almost 400ml of milk in about 2/3 the time with the original tip. I bought an extra tip to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by John1938 View Post
    I am having a problem trying to descale my BES920. I am following the instructions in the manual to the letter and I keep getting the "valv" error message and can never complete the descale procedure. I have left the valves open for 30 minutes so the boilers should be empty but it continues to give me the "valv" message. Does any one know a trick or solution to this?
    Thanks,
    John
    I had the same thing. Apparently the descale process is different depending on the software version of your machine. You first need to find your machine serial number, take the water tank off the back of the machine and look for a sticker on the side walls. Then check the following link and choose the appropriate procedure based on your machine software version (the descale process is down the bottom):

Care

Hope this helps.

It took a little while when they first came out for people to realise what they had done.

Traditionally single = 7g, double = 14g, triple = 21.

As you may know most coffees made in a cafe are actually doubles. So Breville decided to do away with the 7g singles and make their single a double, and their double a triple.

I use the VST 15g and 21g baskets.

I still pull approximately 30ml in 30secs for both 15g and 21g baskets. It does depend on the bean or blend though. I can smell it when it starts to change so know to stop it straight away.

I also have the OPV set to 9bar and pull it around 8bar.

Oh forgot, having the first model, the 1 and 2 cup buttons never worked the way they were supposed to, and honestly after the first week I never bothered with them again, using manual gives better control over what you are wanting to achieve, the only time I touch one of them is to do a backflush with the blind.

Quote Originally Posted by espresso73 View Post
    I had interesting chat with a colleague on dosing single and double shots that has confused me.... I'm using around 19g of coffee for my espresso (~30ml) using the double basket. I'm hitting the 1 cup button which is set at 29sec. How much coffee are others putting into the double basket to get 2 shots? i.e. 60ml of coffee. And what actually does the 2 cup button do. I haven't tried making 2 shots yet.... does it put more water through?

I am considering buying one of the 920s. I can probably stretch to a grinder upgrade. Is it worth using the grinder that comes with it, or just sell it still packaged and get something a little better? If so what is the grinder that would be an actual improvement - keep in mind i have never used a coffee grinder before

Also who is the best to buy them from for easy return - no hassle purchase. Or is much of a muchness? I have HN, GoodGuys, JB and Myers nearby. I hate shopping at these places, but might be a necessity for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpete9 View Post
    I am considering buying one of the 920s. I can probably stretch to a grinder upgrade. Is it worth using the grinder that comes with it, or just sell it still packaged and get something a little better? If so what is the grinder that would be an actual improvement - keep in mind i have never used a coffee grinder before
    The grinder is very good IMHO. it is consistent and has never failed me. Plus I like the ability it has to dial in ultra precise settings.

Jpete9

Store - I'd say Good Guys, but check the pricing first on their websites. Being that it's Christmas you might be lucky with HN and be able to get them to haggle.

Oh whatever you do don't get any of the beans they may offer you 'instead' of a discount!

Grinder - how long is a piece of string?

Initially I think it's about how much can you afford. The Breville grinder is fine, I've used a Spong and got great coffee as well.

The other thing you need to think about is:

Are you going to buy new baskets? I've got the VSTs, there are a few other brands that do them now as well.
    Are you going to buy a new tamper? Lots of options at different price points. I have a convex Pullman. The only time I use the BDB tamper is if I need to get a flat surface with the hope of decent extraction but also with next to no pressure.

Depending on how pedantic you are, you might need a scale, a tamping mat, blind filter...you also might want a Behmor and start roasting your own beans, although you can start with a popcorn machine which is the way majority of us started.

Zero chance i will roasting my own beans I roast my own peanuts and make peanut butter...but i am not learning coffee roasting!

I am not that interesting in weighing, but i homebrew (well i used to when i had time) and i have some very precise dig scales so i can get portions correct initially.

My main aim is quickly be able to make nice coffee so i can focus on the stuff i do while i drink coffee...eg relax...i am keen to learn and become skilled and be able to consistently and reliably produce better than average coffee. But i am not looking to become and expert and enter comps.

I dont have a big budget, but I am ok to buy the things i need now and then just focus on learning while i am on holidays.

With the grinder, i could afford to buy a nice one - but i wonder if thats just another variable that i would have to learn?

Whats the list of essential accessories for this machine - VST, tamper, something else?

To answer your question, i dont have a tamper at all.

Cheers!

Okay so this photo is everything I use every day, every coffee.

Starting from bottom of photo:

Row 1 - tamp mat, Pullman convex tamper, resin tamper stand, top baskets - VST 15g, VST 21g, bottom basket - blind, basket extension to make sure all the ground coffee goes where it should, scales

Row 2 - normal pf with spouts taken off, naked pf, black handled brush I use for clearing the group head where the sponge doesn't reach

Row 3 - Torid small and large jugs, water jug with a sharp spout

Back - sponge (the black ring is from the tamper stand, means the tamper sits off the surface)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (247.3 KB, 76 views)

In relation to the grinder, yes it can make a huge difference BUT I personally think that with the BDB it might not make that much of a difference for a beginner.
    I say the above only due to the fact that there are so many things, between the temperatures, grind, pressures, you can adjust that the taste is changing all the time anyway.

I would like to think that after 5 years I could buy (steal maybe I had a laugh) myself a really good grinder and be able to produce something even better than I have been.

My dream machine is the Strega, (one day hopefully sooner rather than later) so hopefully I'll be able to actually put my theory to the test before I decide what to do with the BDB, I'd upgrade my grinder at the same time, so many new ones I haven't looked at them recently, 'on demand' grinder though I think they are calling the doserless ones these days.

Hi everyone

New to coffeesnobs and still absorbing all the do's and do not's re all things coffee!

I recently took the plunge and bought a Breville Dual Boiler as part of a package with the Smart Grinder Pro. I upgraded from a previous (very simple) Breville ES800. So far I am extremely happy with the purchase! I was tossing up between that and the Sunbeam Torino which I loved the look of, but from the research I had done the Breville was a clear choice - substance>form.

Apologies for asking questions that may have already been answered, but here goes -

1) What's the actual difference between the single and double shot buttons on the machine? I understand they're timer set and default for both is 30 seconds, so if I use a double basket and push single shot (or vice versa) what is the impact of that? This might seem obvious!

2) do many of you use an aftermarket tamper? If so, what would you suggest and why?

Cheers

Is it really as easy as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZ_pjHxoAk

They look like they have unboxed it and started making coffee using the auto settings? Is there a starters guide to getting a reliable coffee quickly from this machine, or just follow the instructions.

We have a speciality coffee place in town. I was going to buy 3 x .5kg and make lots of coffee beans over the next week and figure it out. Any tips for buying beans or just try and then and figure out what we like?
    Last edited by Jpete9; 21st December 2016 at 01:35 AM.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Buy freshly roasted beans (preferably 6-12 days from roasting, but another week won't be a problem). If the ones you are considering don't disclose the date on which they were roasted, don't buy them. Full stop. You will spend your time going round in circles, swearing at your machine, and possibly fixing problems that don't exist. This is particularly important when you are beginning....there are enough variables without throwing the freshness of the beans into the mix.
    shapeshifter and lparsons21 like this.

Mark, I'll do your questions first.

1) As you've found they are preset and you can change those settings. To be honest most of us have played with the cup settings in the early stages of learning but never went any further, used the manual button and that's all. Quite a few people including myself found that there were too many inconsistencies, when all other factors were the same.

My parents have just bought an Oracle so I'll have a play with that on the weekend and see what, if any, changes in the software has happened, so I'll have a better idea after Sunday.

To explain the second part of question 1, that comes down to personal taste.
    Example: When I make lattes/caps, I end up with a total of about 150ml. I use either a 15g or 21g VST, and I extract approximately 30ml in 30secs no matter which one I'm using. The 21g is going to produce a much stronger coffee. Last step is around 120ml of milk.
    If I was going to use the actual cup buttons it should work the same if that is what the settings are.

Now if I have visitors and they didn't like strong coffee, I tend to use the 21g basket with the dual spout. The 2 cup should produce 60ml in total, 30ml in each cup, within 30secs. My brain seems to ding with this and maybe it was working better with 40secs but again individual taste.

You then have the other settings like pressure, temp, time of the pre-infusion as well to take into account.

I think the cup buttons are more about convenience, it's just something less an average coffee drinker has to think about, they press the button go and do whatever else they are trying to do and know that it'll stop when it should.

When people like ourselves are making coffee, we tend to take notice of the smell, the colour coming out, when it might start blonding, so using the manual button makes sense as we are standing right in front of it anyway.

2) tampers, this is another of those personal choice things. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it for a little while, get to know the machine and grinder and what you need to do to get at least a drinkable coffee.

Personally for me, I use a Pullman for a few reasons, one happened after I got it. The weight of the tamper does the job on it's own, sometimes you only need a really light tamp, it's just got to be flat enough to clear the screen and hopefully not form too much channeling. I actually use the Breville tamper sometimes, when I've got a really finicky grind and I need an absolute minimum of touch it works well as they are fairly light.

The other reason for a heavier tamper, I broke both arms years ago and it certainly went a long way in helping that situation. I think actually breaking my arms was a bonus in quite a few ways. I had to learn how to get the grind perfect enough that it didn't actually need any pressure when tamped. Between the pressure coming out and the right grind I was producing great coffee with no added use of my wrists.

Tamping is one of the hotly debated topics. Technique wins in the end no matter what tools you are using.

Sometimes I can use the same grind setting for both 15g and 21g baskets BUT depending on the bean the difference is that I might need to give the 21g a bump on the mat and a firm tamp, vs the 15g I won't bump it at all, just make sure it's sort of even over the top and it gets a really really barely touching tamp.

Oh forgot I should add the 15g is in a naked pf whereas the 21g is in a normal pf.
    markw85 likes this.

I haven't actually slept so hopefully all of what I'm writing makes sense.
    Last edited by shapeshifter; 21st December 2016 at 05:26 AM.
    trentski likes this.

Jpete9, just watching the video I'll be back.

I'm a little pedantic so I weigh my beans put them in grind them.

The little issue with doing that - the grinder retains around 3g, so before I grind my actual dose I throw 3g in there, wait for it to push the older stuff out and then do my grind for my coffee.

I vaccum it out at least once a week, possible more depending on if I'm changing beans or if there has been too long between coffees.

The clumping, I've never had much clumping happen but in saying that in Australia we have a tendency to like our coffees with no ashy notes...

See when he's using his finger to make it all even, that is adding pressure to the grind which in turn will affect how much pressure you actually need when you tamp it. A bump on the mat will do the same thing without adding all of that extra pressure as he keeps going over and over and over.

Mark if you watch the video you'll see him press the 2 cup but what was produced was actually only 30ml at absolute most.

Jpete9 there is no way they just used that straight out of the box. Sure they would have a lot of experience, but they would still have to play around with the grind of the bean and the timing to get something that comes out looking the way that shot does.

If you have a look closely when they do the grinding, the setting is all the way at the top end of the fine section. The grinder probably needs a few shims to take it back the other way to give you more room to move. I have mine set at the third and fourth line when you go from the cup to shot setting.

Jpete9 so no it's not as easy as that video shows BUT it doesn't take long to get it producing something at least partial drinkable.

For most people they are used to drinking swill so anything you do should be a lot better than that.
    Last edited by shapeshifter; 21st December 2016 at 05:26 AM.

One thing I suggest you both buy is a blind filter, you can see what one looks like in the photo I put up ˆˆˆ, and also make sure you have the right tools to take the back off the machine.

I normally wouldn't tell people to delibrately break their warranties but unfortunately depending on how they have been set up in production, the pressure might be at the extreme on either ends and you'll need to bring it back to where it should be, I don't know about anyone else but paying a service centre $80 and not having it for 2 months is not something I'm interested in doing.
    You shouldn't have to touch anything besides putting a screwdriver into the OPV and turning it.
    I have all of the instruction on my website if you want to see it all laid out with photos.

Something that I've heard from quite a few people. We are told that 9 bar is what we should be doing our shots at, it's complete rubbish because again that thinking doesn't take into account things like changes in beans, both in types and how they age after roasting, and it doesn't take into account individual taste.

I have seen so many people say, and I have it set this way too, they have changed OPV to 9bar and they are pulling the shot at 8-8.5bar.

On top of all of that there is then what temperature do you pull your shot at. Again it's dependant on bean/blend, I go as low as 89 and as high as 91, rarely 92, I think I had the Elk Hill at 92. A lot of the light beans fair better within why whole technique with a lower temperature.

I have now had my BES920 and Smart Grinder since Sept 2014 and it is still going. I have done some calculations and I have put over 110kgs through it over that time. The grinder is now on its last legs with a double shot taking 37 seconds to grind. The milk takes over 2mins to foam now but it still makes a brew that everyone says is the best they can get anywhere. It probably comes down to my coffee supply (thanks Andy) and fantastic beans but I'll let them think it is all me.

Hi dan77,
    Your grinder problem may be a worn ground coffee impeller which sits under the bottom burr. This commonly happens to Smart Grinders including mine.
    There is a thread " Replacing Breville BCG800 ground coffee impeller" on page 2 of CS "Grinders" homepages which gives links to a fix you can do which is not expensive and easy to follow.
    Merry Christmas
    Herbie
    dan77 likes this.

Thanks, Shapeshifter. Appreciate the quick response!

I had suspected the two programmed options were somewhat superfluous. I'll stick with the manual extraction, concentrate on the variables.

It is interesting though that people say 30 sec for a 30ml shot and 30 sec for a 60ml shot with a double basket. Not sure how that works given that if the dose is approx 18g in a double shot basket, there are more grounds for the water to pass through and I would think that would result in a slower pour.

You mentioned in a subsequent post the use of a blind filter - the 920 came with a little rubber cleaning disk which sits inside the filter and serves to block flow r in order to back flush. You recommend a blind filter instead?

Cheers for the advice

Shot times, singe v double baskets

Quote Originally Posted by markw85 View Post
    Thanks, Shapeshifter. Appreciate the quick response!

I had suspected the two programmed options were somewhat superfluous. I'll stick with the manual extraction, concentrate on the variables.

It is interesting though that people say 30 sec for a 30ml shot and 30 sec for a 60ml shot with a double basket. Not sure how that works given that if the dose is approx 18g in a double shot basket, there are more grounds for the water to pass through and I would think that would result in a slower pour.

You mentioned in a subsequent post the use of a blind filter - the 920 came with a little rubber cleaning disk which sits inside the filter and serves to block flow r in order to back flush. You recommend a blind filter instead?

Cheers for the advice
    The double screen is roughly twice that of the single hence 30sec for 60ml double
    markw85 likes this.

This is just my thinking on the quantity v time.

edit: just go with me on the first part with the chillis, I was trying to put it in a way that would explain it to someone who had stumbled across the forum looking for where to start.

It's really hard to get people to understand that coffee is a FRESH food.

A recipe calls for a tablespoon 12 hour chilli soaked oil.
    Person A - hates chilli so they put a quarter of a chilli into the oil.
    Person B - loves chilli so they put two chillis into the oil.

You want the same amount of liquid but you want a stronger taste.

To get the same amount of liquid, using the same pre-set pre-infusion, pressure, and temperature but two different amounts, you need to make adjustments elsewhere.

Example with a blend I have at present:

Temperate = 91
    Pressure = 9bar set but I want it coming out around 8bar
    Pre-infusion = 3sec 55 or 60 (I'd have to check)

Mild coffee
    My grinder sits on the third line from the coarse end of the espresso section. It's set there to produce on average 14g into the 15g VST (I can actually get 18g into it but I don't because it ends up being overextracted and very bitter).
    After grinding with the extension still on, I shake it a little, it basically settles at the height of the basket. Take the extension off, look at it, if it's a little lopsided I might very very lightly smooth it out. I then use only the weight of Pullman to compress the grinds.
    Put it in the machine and out comes 30ml in 30sec at 8bar.

Strong coffee
    20g in the 21g VST (I have got more into that as well but I can't remember how much, it's not something I've done for years).
    Grind into basket with extension on, leave extension on and tap it on the mat twice. Remove extension, normally it's pretty much level.
    Tamp with extra weight, a good press twist lift.
    Lock it in, now the idea is that I want 30ml in 30sec, BUT it's very dependant on the bean/blend. For the blend I'm running at the moment I think it's better at about 7.5bar-ish and I get probably closer to 40-50ml.

It all comes down to practise. I take my coffee VERY VERY seriously.
    markw85 likes this.

Tempeman - It seems I overlooked that rather important detail... :/

Thanks, Shapeshifter - the analogy makes perfect sense!

No worries Mark

I just realised I didn't answer you question about the little rubber disc.

Did you know the originals came out with a hole in the middle? Twits, I'm pretty sure I've still got mine somewhere, when a few friends were guiding me (over the internet) they couldn't work out what was going on for a while, they assumed that it was solid, and I didn't know that it was supposed to be.

Yes effectively it 'should' work the same way as a blind, obviously as you can see I bought a real one anyway. I use it after every coffee I make, I can't see the rubber one holding up to that type of use.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    As a tip for everyone, make sure the machine is COMPLETELY cooled when doing the descaling.

I had to replace the thermal fuse on the steam boiler on a customer's machine as it was hot and it's a good 1.5-2 hour job.

Certainly not something you want to pay for when it's avoidable.
    Could you explain why it is such a time consuming process? Just curious, as it is little more than replacing the thermal fuse, no? I received a machine for basically free and am trying to decide if it is worth investing the time in fixing it. I have a local repair centre willing to order me the necessary parts. Currently the machine runs fairly normally, however, the steam boiler doesn't even begin heating. Only get three beeps when trying the wand. Haven't tested the continuity in the thermal fuse yet, but that is my first guess. It was an early model and the previous owners admitted to never bringing it into the service centre, so I presume it was the standard descaling issue in the first version of the software. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    2) tampers, this is another of those personal choice things. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it for a little while, get to know the machine and grinder and what you need to do to get at least a drinkable coffee.

Personally for me, I use a Pullman for a few reasons, one happened after I got it. The weight of the tamper does the job on it's own, sometimes you only need a really light tamp, it's just got to be flat enough to clear the screen and hopefully not form too much channeling. I actually use the Breville tamper sometimes, when I've got a really finicky grind and I need an absolute minimum of touch it works well as they are fairly light.
    Can I ask what size tamper you purchased? I found that a 58mm seems somewhat loose. I've seen 58.3 and 58.5 mm available.

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    No worries Mark

I use it after every coffee I make, I can't see the rubber one holding up to that type of use.
    Similar here SS, I always back flush using a blind filter at the end of every session, keeps things spotless.

I'm having occasional issues with volume measured shots not stopping, has anybody else experienced this? I've programmed my double shots to be 50ml, it works perfectly most of the time but on about 7-8 times over the last 12 months the machine has not stopped pumping when the 50ml is reached.

The 2nd last time this happened 2 or 3 months ago I decided to reprogram the 50ml and I'd had no issues until 2 days ago when the pour did not stop so I decided to reprogram again. When I used the machine this morning the pour cut out at about 10ml instead of 50ml, so I tried again and it did it a 2nd time. On previous occasions when I've had the failure to stop it has worked the next time, never failed twice in a row, so pouring too little twice in a row is very strange indeed.

HN and Goodguys boxing day sales have the 920 for $798!

Good timing for me in that my 900 has recently died....

Bad timing in that its already a very expensive time of year...

hmm, decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by byronator View Post
    I'm having occasional issues with volume measured shots not stopping...
    I have no idea how the 920 does volumetric shots but I'm guessing a flow meter that's now sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    HN and Goodguys boxing day sales have the 920 for $798!

Good timing for me in that my 900 has recently died....

Bad timing in that its already a very expensive time of year...

hmm, decisions, decisions...
    Layby? Is that still a thing???

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    HN and Goodguys boxing day sales have the 920 for $798! ...
    Here (on page 8 of the catalogue) is the offer. I saw it today but didn’t realise the grinder was included…. HN have the same price but doesn’t state that the grinder is included, so I assume not.

Aaaahhhh, promised myself I wouldn't spend any money this year but my current cheap Breville machine is only 50% functional. I'm checking how much I'd get if I on sold the grinder to justify the purchase (I already have a smart grinder).

I paid 1100 at HN for the combo - they price match Bing Lee.

We've had this machine for 2 days. We can make 2 coffees that are drinkable by
    Using the double, single walled basket
    21g (16sec on #12) I tried on 3 and 1 and it seems a bit too fine?
    Tamp/razor
    Hit the 2 cup button
    It runs for 30sec, starts flowing 9sec, sits between 8.5 and 9bar and we get around 30ml of strong coffee in 2 cups
    Milk is straight forward and quick to heat.

For a single cup, i have only just got that working (it was much harder than 2 cups), with 14g and hitting the 1 cup button produces 30ml. Flow starts around 9 sec, but more like 7 bar? Not sure what do here. I have used around $40 worth of coffee, so now we will live with this and make small changes each time we make a cup.

Qs
    1. Should we run a more course grind in the single shot basket? any other tips?
    2. Is it advisable to learn on the standard basket or switch to VST early on?
    3. I am not sure i get the purpose of the double walled baskets...do you put much effort into them?
    4. I like the look of the pics of the naked PF - is there any other reason to get one, would one of these work?
    5. i read above about a blind - is this just for cleaning?

many thanks
    Pete
    Last edited by Jpete9; 26th December 2016 at 09:15 PM.

I have had a Dual Boiler BES920 approx 2 years and has worked perfectly until recently. After making coffee and turning the porter filter to release, the filter basket stays in the machine. Sometimes turning the porter filter as hard as I can to the right and then back to release, and wiggling the porter filter handle around, the filter basket will be in the porter filter, if not I have to turn machine off and when it cools down the filter basket will drop out. I am using the same coffee, the same grinder (Breville Smart Grinder Pro) the same grind size as I have since owning the machine.Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kenpa View Post
    I have had a Dual Boiler BES920 approx 2 years and has worked perfectly until recently. After making coffee and turning the porter filter to release, the filter basket stays in the machine. Sometimes turning the porter filter as hard as I can to the right and then back to release, and wiggling the porter filter handle around, the filter basket will be in the porter filter, if not I have to turn machine off and when it cools down the filter basket will drop out. I am using the same coffee, the same grinder (Breville Smart Grinder Pro) the same grind size as I have since owning the machine.Any suggestions?
    Have you replaced the group head seal? if not replacement may well solve your problem.

Another tip, back flush after every session and don't leave the PF locked in place while the machine is cooling, coffee residue can cause the basket to stick to the seal, ya gotta have a clean machine.

Smile

Thanks to the good guys I'm now a new BES920 owner, looks like I have two things to do next. Lots of reading from the beginning of this thread, and research where to buy beans (I'm in Sydney Hills District).

Me too. Been wanting this machine for a while, having previously used a trusty old Sunbeam EM5400.

I LOVE the BES920 so far. Waiting on a new grinder to arrive but still managing to get a few shots through at 9 bar.
    Melbroaster likes this.

OK, had the machine for a couple of days after spending years getting the most out of a $200 Breville Ikon.

With some fresh coffee this machine is sooooo easy to pull great shots. It heats up super quick. Is a doddle to use. The steam wand could do a whole bucket of milk...... I'm very happy and impressed with the machine!!!

One thing that has amazed me is that I get a great shot with just 10g of coffee, that'll half the price of homemade coffee for me which is a great bonus..... not that I'll save money, because the better quality means I'll drink twice as much
    Last edited by eeney; 29th December 2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eeney View Post
    OK, had the machine for a couple of days after spending years getting the most out of a $200k Breville Ikon.
    A $200,000 Breville Ikon? What, did it have a solid gold case with diamond encrusted handles and a solid platinum portafilter???

Java "Starts digging through tips to find another one" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Good catch, made the BDB look quite bargain.

Hi, I've had the 920 for about two years (just out of warranty).

1. I've noticed that recently it doesn't build pressure during pre-infusion (normally gets to 2-3 bar), but then again sometimes it will... Is this user error? Or is the machine possibly playing up? If user error, what dictates whether pressure builds during pre-infusion or not? FYI I tested all extraction buttons without a portafilter, they all flow with water during the pre-infusion phase.

2. Related question: it's time I gave her some love, where do I get her serviced given she's out of warranty?

3. The water tank sensor has stopped working and it no longer tells me to fill the tank when empty. Is this common and easily DIY fixable? (It's not a big issue, I just routinely fill it before using it now).

Edit: In relation to my first question, I should also note: I always use roughly the same amount of coffee (~20g in double single wall basket) and this doesn't seem to impact whether pressure builds or not.

Just bought BES920 and smart grinder.
    BES920 from Harvey Norman for 798, with AmEX Cashback - 698 + Smart Grinder form Myer for 200.
    I read almost all this thread but still have a couple of questions.
    I bought fresh roasted beans (medium roast), and can get perfect coffee from 1 cup basket (30ml ~30sec 9bar)
    But when I use double cup basket it always gives me ~7bar, 35 sec for 60ml (I set ups to use volume) or 9bar at the start that drops to 7 bar and the extraction time ~45sec. I tried to change grind size and time, no luck.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svartr View Post
    BES920 from Harvey Norman for 798, with AmEX Cashback - 698 + Smart Grinder form Myer for 200.
    I bought fresh roasted beans (medium roast), and can get perfect coffee from 1 cup basket (30ml ~30sec 9bar)
    But when I use double cup basket it always gives me ~7bar, 35 sec for 60ml (I set ups to use volume) or 9bar at the start that drops to 7 bar and the extraction time ~45sec. I tried to change grind size and time, no luck.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Using more coffee, tamping harder and grinding finer (especially with very fresh beans) increase the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoom View Post
    Hi, I've had the 920 for about two years (just out of warranty).

1. I've noticed that recently it doesn't build pressure during pre-infusion (normally gets to 2-3 bar), but then again sometimes it will... Is this user error? Or is the machine possibly playing up? If user error, what dictates whether pressure builds during pre-infusion or not? FYI I tested all extraction buttons without a portafilter, they all flow with water during the pre-infusion phase.

2. Related question: it's time I gave her some love, where do I get her serviced given she's out of warranty?

3. The water tank sensor has stopped working and it no longer tells me to fill the tank when empty. Is this common and easily DIY fixable? (It's not a big issue, I just routinely fill it before using it now).

Edit: In relation to my first question, I should also note: I always use roughly the same amount of coffee (~20g in double single wall basket) and this doesn't seem to impact whether pressure builds or not.
    can't help much with 3..

1. My 900 and now my 920 never really build pressure during pre infusion.

2. i notice you are in Adelaide. The 'official' breville service centres are 'Adelaide service centre'. there are 2 outlets, one south, one north. I've used the southern one at Parkholme a couple of times and the service is pretty ordinary. looking around for parts to fix my 900, i came across this place, Segafredo, at Richmond. I've not used them myself, but they do say they service breville machines.
    Last edited by prydey; 29th December 2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Commercial Link(s) Removed

Quote Originally Posted by svartr View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    you will need to change your grind between 1 cup and 2 cup baskets.

also, if it starts at 9 bar and drops to 7 bar it could indicate a couple of things. possibly channeling, incorrect dose or grind size.

do you use the Razor to determine dose? I've found it to be pretty helpful. prior to using the razor, i would determine dose by putting a 5c coin on top of the tamped coffee and lock the handle in to the group head. unlock it and have a look. coin should leave a slight impression in the coffee.

another accessory well worth the money is a Pullman tamper. get it machined to match perfectly to your basket and it will go a long way to reducing the chance of channeling as well. Channeling is where the water finds the path of least resistance, which is often down the edges. this results in an under extracted coffee.

i only ever use the manual button as well. never bothered setting the 1cup or 2cup buttons on either 900 or 920 as i never use them. i also don't include the preinfusion time in the 'pour' time so generally run the clock to somewhere between 30-40sec. If you are always adding milk, the time and amount of espresso isn't as critical.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast