Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1558
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Unfortunately not Andy. You should be descaling your machine every 6 - 12 months with a special descaling solution.

Be sure to read the instructions in detail and to let your machine cool down before you start the process or you run the risk of damaging your machine, and considering you're at the 2-3 year mark, you are likely to be out of the warranty period.

Also make sure you have the BES920, as the BES900 (also Breville Dual Boiler) does not have the functionality to do a user descale and a professional needs to do this instead.

I have had my ES920 for just over 2 years and the other day the steam wand stopped working - no audible noise of even trying - and I get 3 soft beeps when I turn the handle to on. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have thoroughly cleaned everything, water level high, even released the descale screw for an hour in case of air pocket as suggested by service dept at Breville.

Quote Originally Posted by Walting View Post
    I have had my ES920 for just over 2 years and the other day the steam wand stopped working - no audible noise of even trying - and I get 3 soft beeps when I turn the handle to on. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have thoroughly cleaned everything, water level high, even released the descale screw for an hour in case of air pocket as suggested by service dept at Breville.
    Three beeps means the boiler isn't up to temperature. I would suspect the thermal fuse has blown or the element has gone open circuit. Both of these repairs need to be carried out by an authorised Breville technician.

Did this happen after descaling? Often in the earlier BES920's, the boiler element would turn on when the boiler was empty during the descaling cycle and blow the fuse or kill the element.

[QUOTE=noidle22;600336]Three beeps means the boiler isn't up to temperature. I would suspect the thermal fuse has blown or the element has gone open circuit. Both of these repairs need to be carried out by an authorised Breville technician.

Did this happen after descaling? Often in the earlier BES920's, the boiler element would turn on when the boiler was empty during the descaling cycle and blow the fuse or kill the element.[/QUOT

I haven't descaled yet although the Breville customer service suggested that I should. But it definitely looks like I have to take it to a repairer. Was hoping to avoid that but best to get it done so I can get back to my coffee!!

BES920 first impressions

Hi Everyone,

I've just got a BES920 as an extended warranty replacement for my four and a half years old BES900. I am quite liking the new machine so far.

Now for some details and a few questions:

-The PF locks very tightly in the group head. That's a big improvement from the PF flying off in the middle of brewing. I don't need to keep a hand on it anymore.
    -The machine finish (red) looks more stain resistant. Well, we'll see about that.
    -The double filter basket takes quite some more coffee. I expected a problematic adaptation so a basket with vertical sides, so I notch up the grinder in advance. I am getting quite decent extractions already. Coffee tastes quite well, but there is still room for improvement.
    -The razor tool is nice although in four years I learnt to fill the basket quite well without it.
    -I did not find an instructions sheet in the box! The hardness water test stripe is also missing. I just left the factory setting for hardness in place. I suppose the hardness thingy is to set up a descale alert so the harder the water is the sooner the machine will recommend a descale, right?
    -The milk pitcher is a bit too small for two regular flat whites. I think I can live with that if I fill it a tad less and make also a bit less foam. Also, do you find the steam somehow more powerful than in the BES900? I am finishing steaming significantly faster. It may just because I am actually steaming less milk. I am really not sure about that.

Cheers,

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Tupinamba View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've just got a BES920 as an extended warranty replacement for my four and a half years old BES900. I am quite liking the new machine so far.

Now for some details and a few questions:

-The PF locks very tightly in the group head. That's a big improvement from the PF flying off in the middle of brewing. I don't need to keep a hand on it anymore.
    -The machine finish (red) looks more stain resistant. Well, we'll see about that.
    -The double filter basket takes quite some more coffee. I expected a problematic adaptation so a basket with vertical sides, so I notch up the grinder in advance. I am getting quite decent extractions already. Coffee tastes quite well, but there is still room for improvement.
    -The razor tool is nice although in four years I learnt to fill the basket quite well without it.
    -I did not find an instructions sheet in the box! The hardness water test stripe is also missing. I just left the factory setting for hardness in place. I suppose the hardness thingy is to set up a descale alert so the harder the water is the sooner the machine will recommend a descale, right?
    -The milk pitcher is a bit too small for two regular flat whites. I think I can live with that if I fill it a tad less and make also a bit less foam. Also, do you find the steam somehow more powerful than in the BES900? I am finishing steaming significantly faster. It may just because I am actually steaming less milk. I am really not sure about that.

Cheers,

Pablo
    I think although the steam boiler is the same size the element may be bigger Pablo. So more likely to keep full power longer. You can also adjust the temp of the steam boiler now which allows you to dial up or down the steam pressure.

know it's been asked before but what descaler do people prefer for the BES920? Cafetto Restore (sachet) or Cino Cleano (bottle)?

Help please we have a 920 dual boiler and it makes awesome coffee our first machine and we re happy with it we have had it around 8 months. Today we tried making coffee we use the 1 shot cup and usually put it on manual for about 22 seconds and I prefer weak coffee. It seems to be working the guage is going up as it should but not much espresso came out. About half of what normally comes out. The beans are only about a week old. Everything seems ok. What else do I need to try before ringing breville on Monday?

Hi Midnite01, you probably should try coarsening your grind first.

This is basic espresso theory, so the best thing you could do is find a few webpages via google that explain how to make espresso.
    Kettles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MavCN View Post
    know it's been asked before but what descaler do people prefer for the BES920? Cafetto Restore (sachet) or Cino Cleano (bottle)?
    I use rainwater so no real need to descale, not in the first few years anyway.

hi guys,

what is your consensus over preinfusion as it's done in the breville?

Hi Greymda, the preinfusion using the reduced pump power works well but can wear out the pump faster. over time the pump may stop working during the preinfusion stage and needs to be replaced.
    ayepeacee likes this.

Hi all, this is a great thread about this machine,
    Just got this dynamic Duo combo for work. Was put in charge of picking a machine suitable for the office.
    Previously had my old EM6910 and BCG 800 I think. Could get great consistent shots from this.
    I also own a Rocket Giotto and Mazzer Mini for my home setup. Can also pull consistent shots on this.

Since getting the BDB I have got side channelling issues on every shot I think. Not sure about the first as I didn't check it. Thought it was just grind setting.

Definitely I can see pin holes down the side.

I have been using the Razor as well for dosing as that should be the right judge for dose.
    I feel it is still too close to the group head though since I used it then tried putting the portafilter in place and pulling it out to look at it. There is quite an indent of holes when I did this and can see it really pushes it down.
    This is with 100% razor usage too.

Anyone else have this experience? Could it be this particular razor is not made to specs?

I then tried going back to some serious WDT and this kind of very careful distribution. No matter what it is way too fast and under extracted. I can see everytime a strong imprint and side channelling is very evident.

I overcome channelling from EM6910 to Rocket Giotto and I can't understand why I am having this problem.

I am sure my tamp is good since I have now tried to do it very carefully checking all parts. Even tamp is not 100% perfect everytime still doesn't result in this kind of extreme channelling.
    So I feel something else must be issue.

Any help would be great! Machine is quite cool to play with on a side note. Lots of sweet features.

Hi all, looking at potentially getting the Breville BES920 equivalent in the UK. Any major concerns I should know about? How is the steaming speed?

I had a quick look at the machine the other day and it didn't feel as solid as, say, my dying Silvia. Any concerns with the housing and the components failing?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TRRR View Post
    Hi Greymda, the preinfusion using the reduced pump power works well but can wear out the pump faster. over time the pump may stop working during the preinfusion stage and needs to be replaced.
    thanks!

one more question. if to use preinfusion, one should grind a bit finer than usual?

The Razor definitely sets up for overdosing. Just back off your dose and judge dose by using the tamp. You can try the 5 cent coin trick also (google if that's a new one to you). You'll probably need to grind a click finer as your pushing water through less coffee but start where you are.

You should be looking for 40g/50ml out of the double basket in around 28 secs as a start point. Beans fresh? What tamp are you using? What grinder? The machine is fairly forgiving and channeling shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by greymda View Post
    thanks!

one more question. if to use preinfusion, one should grind a bit finer than usual?
    Not nessacarily. Probably coarser if anything but see how you go as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The Razor definitely sets up for overdosing. Just back off your dose and judge dose by using the tamp. You can try the 5 cent coin trick also (google if that's a new one to you). You'll probably need to grind a click finer as your pushing water through less coffee but start where you are.

You should be looking for 40g/50ml out of the double basket in around 28 secs as a start point. Beans fresh? What tamp are you using? What grinder? The machine is fairly forgiving and channeling shouldn't be an issue.
    thanks Chris. Yes tried 5 cent coin trick and will keep doing that. I now adjusted the burrs down to 2 and sitting on 5 setting now. I even brought my OCD from home to confirm it is not distribution problem.
    pressure is up to 5.5 bars now so a little improvement from 5. will keep going trying to choke it and find the right point. Although I feel grind should be fine enough now but still seems not according to the gusher!
    Is this machine that sensitive to dose?

What grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshjosh1985 View Post
    thanks Chris. Yes tried 5 cent coin trick and will keep doing that. I now adjusted the burrs down to 2 and sitting on 5 setting now. I even brought my OCD from home to confirm it is not distribution problem.
    pressure is up to 5.5 bars now so a little improvement from 5. will keep going trying to choke it and find the right point. Although I feel grind should be fine enough now but still seems not according to the gusher!
    Is this machine that sensitive to dose?
    Hi yoshjosh1985, I'm assuming you're using the Breville smart grinder which is generally paired with the machine?? If so in my experience it isn't extremely consistent with dose amount..
    Some people have resorted to adjusting the burr holder to achieve a finer grind also. There's plenty of info online about this process and no doubt some YouTube clips. If you're grinder is fine, I'd suggest grabbing a scale, put you're grinder on the finest setting, fill your double portafilter, tamp, use your razor, scrape excess coffee out and weigh it. Whatever you're weight ends up being, should be the weight regardless of your grinder setting (corse or fine). Then just continue to adjust your grinder setting, maintain the same dose weight and with trial and error you should get you're pressure up to 8 / 9 bar.

Also, the razor tip is about 8mm offset just in case you'd like to check. Never heard it to be an issue but good to eliminate any unnecessary variables.

All the best!

Has anyone had the problem where only steam comes out of the hot water tap and the grouphead? This has happened to me but only on the one occasion, turned the machine off and back on the temp went from 93 to 115. Turned it back on a few hours later and all is normal. Thinking of claiming warranty on it as it also hisses so must also have a worn out gasket on the steam boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
    Has anyone had the problem where only steam comes out of the hot water tap and the grouphead? This has happened to me but only on the one occasion, turned the machine off and back on the temp went from 93 to 115. Turned it back on a few hours later and all is normal. Thinking of claiming warranty on it as it also hisses so must also have a worn out gasket on the steam boiler.
    Sorry jamesl, I've had my bes920 for just over a year now and never experienced that issue.. I'd be inclined to take it in for a checkup.. hopefully someone else a little more technically minded can give you a better response.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
    It sounds like the boiler ran dry to me.

Does anyone know the part number for the plastic collar insert for these Bes920 machines? My 15 month old machine collar insert has crushed and needs to be replaced. Wont be done under warranty as it is a replacement machine for my old BES900 which was lost in transit after having been sent into a repair centre, so they count the warranty period from the date of purchase of my original machine, not the date they replace it with the newer 920.

I have pulled apart my machine ready to replace the collar which Breville kindly sent to me, however they have given me the wrong part. It is a 2-piece collar insert which has BES980xl in the part number? The insert from the BES920 is a 1-piece collar.

Anyone have any info as I have searched the net and cant find any definitive info?

Attach a picture to show the part required. Difficult to figure out which part it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The Razor definitely sets up for overdosing.
    i find the Razor is about right for dose when compared to the '5 cent test'. If i dose using Razor, then put the coin on top and lock the handle in, it only leaves a very slight impression, which is what you want.

i have a pullman tamper with the true tamp rings and it equates to just over 1 ring showing.

Anyone experienced their machine favouring one spout over the other when extracting? Usually the likely cause would be an uneven tamp, but i'm able to fairly reliably eliminate that variable, either by using the Razor, or just taking note of the rings on my Pullman Tamper.

I never had this issue with my 900, but now with my 920, probably 7 out of 10 shots will be uneven, favouring the left spout. i make sure there isn't any old build up on the spouts that would affect the flow path but can't see any reason for it to be uneven.

Just thought I'd ask on here before contacting Breville to see what they have to say.

Have you tested whether the machine is level on the bench?....
    prydey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Have you tested whether the machine is level on the bench?....
    its funny how the brain so often skips over the most simple explanations. i've never checked. just assumed that because its in the same spot as the 2 coffee machines before it, which never had issues, that it was all good. i'll check.

edit - checked the benchtop and machine and both are dead level. oh well. it was worth checking though.
    Last edited by prydey; 1st April 2017 at 10:58 PM.

Hi guys,

New to the forum and great to find a community of like-minded coffee lovers with the same machine. I have had mine for around 18 months and have loved it, and taken care of it as per the manuals instructions.

In the last week I have been having the filter basket sticking to the group head after extracting a shot and removing the portafilter. Not just the puck of coffee, but the filter basket too. If I run water through the group head it doesn't remove the basket. I usually have to wait for it to drop down on its own (around an hour I guess, haven't sat there watching it though).

Since it's happened, and this could be normal, but when the basket is off and I am just running water through the shower screen I have notice water streaming down from outside the shower screen holes.

I am guessing it may be the group head seal but that is a very uneducated guess. I've contacted Breville and they have given me agents here in Perth that can help. But if it is a simple fix to replace the seal (if that is the issue), I would rather do it myself as the agents are quite far.

Appreciate any help and advice you can offer. I have searched this thread but can't seem to find this issues.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey everyone! Well about 2 minutes after posting the above question, I found a post that sounded similar to my situation.

I used the Allen key to remove the shower screen and sure enough the black inner shower screen was cracked. This would explain the extra stream of water, coming through the crack. And the shower screen expanding from the heat explains the basket sticking to the screen till it has cooled down.

I've posted a picture just for reference. Thanks for all your details and info, what a wealth of info you have all amassed.

Cheers!
    prydey and level3ninja like this.

Our self service information buffet is open around the clock, glad you found your problem. Now to get it replaced. Looks like an easy fix at least.
    bw81 likes this.

Hi all. I've had my machine for I guess 8 months or so. I maintain it well and I religiously backflush twice after every coffee session. Yesterday, I very briefly had my first DESCALE message appear and then disappear and not showing once more in the following 3 sessions. Do you think it was an anomaly? Do you think it's likely to reappear and stay on, meaning I will need to perform a descale over the next short while? I'd especially like to hear from regular backflushers and get their experience on descale messages, if at all. Thanks.
    Lukemc likes this.

The descale message has nothing to do with backflushing, it just counts how many shots have been done and depending on what level your have the water hardness set to it pops up after a certain number of shots. If I remember correctly mine popped up once then went away, then came back not long after and didn't go away until I descaled. I believe the first time is just a warning so you can buy some descaled powder or something. The only thing it has to do with backflushing is how many times you press the button to backflush will count towards the total.

When you say you backflush twice after every session, what do you mean by twice? I backflush after every session until the water is clean. Usually they only takes one or two times, sometimes 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    The descale message has nothing to do with backflushing, it just counts how many shots have been done and depending on what level your have the water hardness set to it pops up after a certain number of shots. If I remember correctly mine popped up once then went away, then came back not long after and didn't go away until I descaled. I believe the first time is just a warning so you can buy some descaled powder or something. The only thing it has to do with backflushing is how many times you press the button to backflush will count towards the total.

When you say you backflush twice after every session, what do you mean by twice? I backflush after every session until the water is clean. Usually they only takes one or two times, sometimes 4 or 5.
    Thanks for that. I've read numerous posts on here saying backflushing will meaning you need to descale less frequently. I bacflush usually with blind filter for 10 or 12 seconds twice and no grit residue remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    Thanks for that. I've read numerous posts on here saying backflushing will meaning you need to descale less frequently. I bacflush usually with blind filter for 10 or 12 seconds twice and no grit residue remains.
    Yeah but the machine counter won't know if you're backflushing or pulling shots so backflushing won't make the warning come up any later. Up to you how often you do it.

Well ive hit another snag with my 4th bes920. I did another descale today and got A lot of crud come out of the right screw so steam boiler side. Anyway now the steam boiler will not start at all. i have a feeling something is stuck in the Solonoid and blocking it from starting. Is there any way to flush it through? Or any other suggestions?

Ive reset the machine and tried a variety of other things but I can't get the steam to build pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen13 View Post
    Well ive hit another snag with my 4th bes920. I did another descale today and got A lot of crud come out of the right screw so steam boiler side. Anyway now the steam boiler will not start at all. i have a feeling something is stuck in the Solonoid and blocking it from starting. Is there any way to flush it through? Or any other suggestions?

Ive reset the machine and tried a variety of other things but I can't get the steam to build pressure.
    I had that happen with my 1st 920 when I descaled it. Sent it in under warranty and I think the element in the steam boiler had exploded because of a fault that was programmed into the machine where it left the steam element on when the boiler was empty at some stage during the descale. They replaced the main circuit board and steam boiler element I think but it came back with so many dents that Myer gave me a new one so I don't know how well the repair worked.

Apparently that fault was on all 920s made up until that point or something so might be yours too. I'd call Breville, or depending on where you bought it from go through them.

This week I bought a BES920 to replace my BES900. I got my old BES900 in August 2011 from Dennis Wells of Cuppacoffee. Dennis was a Site Sponsor at the time. He sold the first Breville Dual Boilers in Sydney. My machine was one of the first batch sold here.

It looks like Breville are clearing out the remaining BES920 stock before releasing a new model.

I was able to buy one at Bing Lee this week for $799 which is almost half price.

The only time my 900 went to a mechanic was to replace a failed O ring under warranty. That was a common fault in the early machines.

My 920 can still make good coffee, however it is slow to build up pressure as it possibility needs descaling or new O rings or worse.

What other dual boiler, dual PID machine can I buy new for $799. These clearance priced machines will not last for long.

Why do so many people tell us here about problems with BDB’s? Breville must have sold many more machines in Australia than any Italian dual boiler machines as BDB’s are sold in all large shopping centres that I visit. Also many problems are not due to the machines but caused by the user.

I hope that by now all the bugs have been removed from the 920. Of the 10 new cars I have bought in 50 years, 2 were new models that became lemons and the repairs to keep on the road kept me poor.

Barry.
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:18 PM.

i see that several of the clearance offers of $799 for the BES920 have been withdrawn due to lack of stock.

Barry.

At $800 they are a steal. I am still in awe over my 920. It is not only a thing of great beauty, it is a magnificent espresso machine.
    Barry_Duncan likes this.

I had that happen with my 1st 920 when I descaled it. Sent it in under warranty and I think the element in the steam boiler had exploded because of a fault that was programmed into the machine where it left the steam element on when the boiler was empty at some stage during the descale. They replaced the main circuit board and steam boiler element I think but it came back with so many dents that Myer gave me a new one so I don't know how well the repair worked.

Apparently that fault was on all 920s made up until that point or something so might be yours too. I'd call Breville, or depending on where you bought it from go through them.
    Yeah ok. The few ive had have been really good and i always suggest others to get them. But i keep having faults like little niggles like this. I got lucky i had 1 month warranty left on this machine so its in for a repair job. Im in Sydney too. Machine is innat Bravo. They are ment to be pretty good at fixing these things. Guy in there said he sees alot of them.

Its probably just a symptom of get what you pay for. Probably a reason why commercial machines with more robust internals cost alot more.

Im thinking of making a step upto the Profitec 500 next time. I think its a combo of wanting the next step and wanting something more robust.

Mm. I feel you. Robust they ain't.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen13 View Post
    Yeah ok. The few ive had have been really good and i always suggest others to get them. But i keep having faults like little niggles like this. I got lucky i had 1 month warranty left on this machine so its in for a repair job. Im in Sydney too.
    You used to live in Perth, yeh?

Mm. I feel you. Robust they ain't.
    I've had mine for over 3 years, never had a problem.

I also have a 5 year old Izzo Alex. Required $250 of repairs a year ago. It started leaking again and $420 later the machine is back again. I doubt repairs to the Breville would cost this much.

I'd say the Breville is pretty robust.

My new BES920 that I bought for $799 is going well. Nice to have a shiny new machine on the bench.

While the group head on the 920 had been made tighter to prevent spin outs, my bottomless portafilter from my old 900 fits well.

The Breville machines may be built in china, however they were designed in Australia and some of the important internal bits like pumps and valves are made in Italy.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:49 AM.

Ok. Finally received the inner shower screen after a week of waiting and... it doesn't fit. Great.
    They sent me the part for a BES980 (06.5) and from the pics I've posted you can see that the one for the BES920 tapers for the outer shower screen whereas this other one does not. From what I have seen online it looks as though the part I want (03.5) is discontinued.
    Should I just be buying a new outer shower screen to fit this other part or does anyone else know where to find the correct inner shower screen?

Thanks guys!
    Original screen on the left, fits snug.

The new screen, when tightened with the Allen key it does not become flush, lots of water leaking when you flush water through it.

Oh, that's annoying!
    I would ring Breville and ask them. If it is discontinued that may be your only option but they should know if the other part will fit your machine as well. I think it's best to check with them before ordering more parts.

My 920 turned on as usual this morning but steam wand refused to work. Makes 3 beeps and nothing else happens when the lever to in the open position.
    Last descale was about half a year ago so not related to the descale issue some others have experienced.

Suspect the heating element or the fuse is blown on the steamer boiler.

Machine is out of warranty, I believe, has anyone had any experience getting this issue repaired or fixing it themselves?

Turn the hot water dial all the way on until water comes out, then all the way off then try steam again...

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 LastLast