Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31
Results 1,501 to 1,522 of 1522
Like Tree275Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Unfortunately not Andy. You should be descaling your machine every 6 - 12 months with a special descaling solution.

Be sure to read the instructions in detail and to let your machine cool down before you start the process or you run the risk of damaging your machine, and considering you're at the 2-3 year mark, you are likely to be out of the warranty period.

Also make sure you have the BES920, as the BES900 (also Breville Dual Boiler) does not have the functionality to do a user descale and a professional needs to do this instead.

I have had my ES920 for just over 2 years and the other day the steam wand stopped working - no audible noise of even trying - and I get 3 soft beeps when I turn the handle to on. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have thoroughly cleaned everything, water level high, even released the descale screw for an hour in case of air pocket as suggested by service dept at Breville.

Quote Originally Posted by Walting View Post
    I have had my ES920 for just over 2 years and the other day the steam wand stopped working - no audible noise of even trying - and I get 3 soft beeps when I turn the handle to on. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have thoroughly cleaned everything, water level high, even released the descale screw for an hour in case of air pocket as suggested by service dept at Breville.
    Three beeps means the boiler isn't up to temperature. I would suspect the thermal fuse has blown or the element has gone open circuit. Both of these repairs need to be carried out by an authorised Breville technician.

Did this happen after descaling? Often in the earlier BES920's, the boiler element would turn on when the boiler was empty during the descaling cycle and blow the fuse or kill the element.

[QUOTE=noidle22;600336]Three beeps means the boiler isn't up to temperature. I would suspect the thermal fuse has blown or the element has gone open circuit. Both of these repairs need to be carried out by an authorised Breville technician.

Did this happen after descaling? Often in the earlier BES920's, the boiler element would turn on when the boiler was empty during the descaling cycle and blow the fuse or kill the element.[/QUOT

I haven't descaled yet although the Breville customer service suggested that I should. But it definitely looks like I have to take it to a repairer. Was hoping to avoid that but best to get it done so I can get back to my coffee!!

BES920 first impressions

Hi Everyone,

I've just got a BES920 as an extended warranty replacement for my four and a half years old BES900. I am quite liking the new machine so far.

Now for some details and a few questions:

-The PF locks very tightly in the group head. That's a big improvement from the PF flying off in the middle of brewing. I don't need to keep a hand on it anymore.
    -The machine finish (red) looks more stain resistant. Well, we'll see about that.
    -The double filter basket takes quite some more coffee. I expected a problematic adaptation so a basket with vertical sides, so I notch up the grinder in advance. I am getting quite decent extractions already. Coffee tastes quite well, but there is still room for improvement.
    -The razor tool is nice although in four years I learnt to fill the basket quite well without it.
    -I did not find an instructions sheet in the box! The hardness water test stripe is also missing. I just left the factory setting for hardness in place. I suppose the hardness thingy is to set up a descale alert so the harder the water is the sooner the machine will recommend a descale, right?
    -The milk pitcher is a bit too small for two regular flat whites. I think I can live with that if I fill it a tad less and make also a bit less foam. Also, do you find the steam somehow more powerful than in the BES900? I am finishing steaming significantly faster. It may just because I am actually steaming less milk. I am really not sure about that.

Cheers,

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Tupinamba View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've just got a BES920 as an extended warranty replacement for my four and a half years old BES900. I am quite liking the new machine so far.

Now for some details and a few questions:

-The PF locks very tightly in the group head. That's a big improvement from the PF flying off in the middle of brewing. I don't need to keep a hand on it anymore.
    -The machine finish (red) looks more stain resistant. Well, we'll see about that.
    -The double filter basket takes quite some more coffee. I expected a problematic adaptation so a basket with vertical sides, so I notch up the grinder in advance. I am getting quite decent extractions already. Coffee tastes quite well, but there is still room for improvement.
    -The razor tool is nice although in four years I learnt to fill the basket quite well without it.
    -I did not find an instructions sheet in the box! The hardness water test stripe is also missing. I just left the factory setting for hardness in place. I suppose the hardness thingy is to set up a descale alert so the harder the water is the sooner the machine will recommend a descale, right?
    -The milk pitcher is a bit too small for two regular flat whites. I think I can live with that if I fill it a tad less and make also a bit less foam. Also, do you find the steam somehow more powerful than in the BES900? I am finishing steaming significantly faster. It may just because I am actually steaming less milk. I am really not sure about that.

Cheers,

Pablo
    I think although the steam boiler is the same size the element may be bigger Pablo. So more likely to keep full power longer. You can also adjust the temp of the steam boiler now which allows you to dial up or down the steam pressure.

know it's been asked before but what descaler do people prefer for the BES920? Cafetto Restore (sachet) or Cino Cleano (bottle)?

Help please we have a 920 dual boiler and it makes awesome coffee our first machine and we re happy with it we have had it around 8 months. Today we tried making coffee we use the 1 shot cup and usually put it on manual for about 22 seconds and I prefer weak coffee. It seems to be working the guage is going up as it should but not much espresso came out. About half of what normally comes out. The beans are only about a week old. Everything seems ok. What else do I need to try before ringing breville on Monday?

Hi Midnite01, you probably should try coarsening your grind first.

This is basic espresso theory, so the best thing you could do is find a few webpages via google that explain how to make espresso.
    Kettles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MavCN View Post
    know it's been asked before but what descaler do people prefer for the BES920? Cafetto Restore (sachet) or Cino Cleano (bottle)?
    I use rainwater so no real need to descale, not in the first few years anyway.

hi guys,

what is your consensus over preinfusion as it's done in the breville?

Hi Greymda, the preinfusion using the reduced pump power works well but can wear out the pump faster. over time the pump may stop working during the preinfusion stage and needs to be replaced.

Hi all, this is a great thread about this machine,
    Just got this dynamic Duo combo for work. Was put in charge of picking a machine suitable for the office.
    Previously had my old EM6910 and BCG 800 I think. Could get great consistent shots from this.
    I also own a Rocket Giotto and Mazzer Mini for my home setup. Can also pull consistent shots on this.

Since getting the BDB I have got side channelling issues on every shot I think. Not sure about the first as I didn't check it. Thought it was just grind setting.

Definitely I can see pin holes down the side.

I have been using the Razor as well for dosing as that should be the right judge for dose.
    I feel it is still too close to the group head though since I used it then tried putting the portafilter in place and pulling it out to look at it. There is quite an indent of holes when I did this and can see it really pushes it down.
    This is with 100% razor usage too.

Anyone else have this experience? Could it be this particular razor is not made to specs?

I then tried going back to some serious WDT and this kind of very careful distribution. No matter what it is way too fast and under extracted. I can see everytime a strong imprint and side channelling is very evident.

I overcome channelling from EM6910 to Rocket Giotto and I can't understand why I am having this problem.

I am sure my tamp is good since I have now tried to do it very carefully checking all parts. Even tamp is not 100% perfect everytime still doesn't result in this kind of extreme channelling.
    So I feel something else must be issue.

Any help would be great! Machine is quite cool to play with on a side note. Lots of sweet features.

Hi all, looking at potentially getting the Breville BES920 equivalent in the UK. Any major concerns I should know about? How is the steaming speed?

I had a quick look at the machine the other day and it didn't feel as solid as, say, my dying Silvia. Any concerns with the housing and the components failing?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TRRR View Post
    Hi Greymda, the preinfusion using the reduced pump power works well but can wear out the pump faster. over time the pump may stop working during the preinfusion stage and needs to be replaced.
    thanks!

one more question. if to use preinfusion, one should grind a bit finer than usual?

The Razor definitely sets up for overdosing. Just back off your dose and judge dose by using the tamp. You can try the 5 cent coin trick also (google if that's a new one to you). You'll probably need to grind a click finer as your pushing water through less coffee but start where you are.

You should be looking for 40g/50ml out of the double basket in around 28 secs as a start point. Beans fresh? What tamp are you using? What grinder? The machine is fairly forgiving and channeling shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by greymda View Post
    thanks!

one more question. if to use preinfusion, one should grind a bit finer than usual?
    Not nessacarily. Probably coarser if anything but see how you go as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The Razor definitely sets up for overdosing. Just back off your dose and judge dose by using the tamp. You can try the 5 cent coin trick also (google if that's a new one to you). You'll probably need to grind a click finer as your pushing water through less coffee but start where you are.

You should be looking for 40g/50ml out of the double basket in around 28 secs as a start point. Beans fresh? What tamp are you using? What grinder? The machine is fairly forgiving and channeling shouldn't be an issue.
    thanks Chris. Yes tried 5 cent coin trick and will keep doing that. I now adjusted the burrs down to 2 and sitting on 5 setting now. I even brought my OCD from home to confirm it is not distribution problem.
    pressure is up to 5.5 bars now so a little improvement from 5. will keep going trying to choke it and find the right point. Although I feel grind should be fine enough now but still seems not according to the gusher!
    Is this machine that sensitive to dose?

What grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshjosh1985 View Post
    thanks Chris. Yes tried 5 cent coin trick and will keep doing that. I now adjusted the burrs down to 2 and sitting on 5 setting now. I even brought my OCD from home to confirm it is not distribution problem.
    pressure is up to 5.5 bars now so a little improvement from 5. will keep going trying to choke it and find the right point. Although I feel grind should be fine enough now but still seems not according to the gusher!
    Is this machine that sensitive to dose?
    Hi yoshjosh1985, I'm assuming you're using the Breville smart grinder which is generally paired with the machine?? If so in my experience it isn't extremely consistent with dose amount..
    Some people have resorted to adjusting the burr holder to achieve a finer grind also. There's plenty of info online about this process and no doubt some YouTube clips. If you're grinder is fine, I'd suggest grabbing a scale, put you're grinder on the finest setting, fill your double portafilter, tamp, use your razor, scrape excess coffee out and weigh it. Whatever you're weight ends up being, should be the weight regardless of your grinder setting (corse or fine). Then just continue to adjust your grinder setting, maintain the same dose weight and with trial and error you should get you're pressure up to 8 / 9 bar.

Also, the razor tip is about 8mm offset just in case you'd like to check. Never heard it to be an issue but good to eliminate any unnecessary variables.

All the best!

Has anyone had the problem where only steam comes out of the hot water tap and the grouphead? This has happened to me but only on the one occasion, turned the machine off and back on the temp went from 93 to 115. Turned it back on a few hours later and all is normal. Thinking of claiming warranty on it as it also hisses so must also have a worn out gasket on the steam boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
    Has anyone had the problem where only steam comes out of the hot water tap and the grouphead? This has happened to me but only on the one occasion, turned the machine off and back on the temp went from 93 to 115. Turned it back on a few hours later and all is normal. Thinking of claiming warranty on it as it also hisses so must also have a worn out gasket on the steam boiler.
    Sorry jamesl, I've had my bes920 for just over a year now and never experienced that issue.. I'd be inclined to take it in for a checkup.. hopefully someone else a little more technically minded can give you a better response.

Cheers!

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31