Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1787
Like Tree337Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

bw81

Is it possible to fill the crack in the disc with some food grade glue?

I think it is important not to over tighten the screw attaching the screen. It can become difficult to remove.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 8th May 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    You used to live in Perth, yeh?
    Yes indeed. Old school member i had 2x bes900 in WA when they first came out. Interesting to note they both scale up just as badly east or west coast.

I take my hat off to Breville the 920 and 900 are great machines. Ive made over 20000 cups from all my machines and they have all been consistently good. It has certainly been good value as ive definately returned my money on the investment by home roasting and brewing vs buying from cafe.
    But i have also had an issue with each machine ive had and it all creeps in around the 18 to 24 month period. Ranging from leaking group head on the machine (which Breville replaced whole machine. Thaks again to the steam lever simply wearing out, steam wand dripping, solonoid running excessively loudly, steam boiler failing to work, leaks from the top of the boilers. My 920 is in at the repair shop currently so wait and see on the outcome!

It took six years for my BES900 to scale up. I have always been carful to filter all the water I use with a Brita Maxtra Jug and the Breville water tank filter and I do three backflushes after each coffee session.

I do a clean with Di Bartoli Espresso Machine Cleaner about once a week.

While I mainly drink macchiatos. six times a year I meet up with about a dozen friends for a weekend when amongst other things they consume my coffee. That is why I need a dual boiler, as they mainly drink coffee milkshakes.

I could not refuse an upgrade to the BES920 while they were at the clearance price of $799.

It is great to have a new machine as my BES900 had become a little old slow and tired like me.

I wonder what comes next after all the 920s are sold?

Barry.
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 11th May 2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walting View Post
    I have had my ES920 for just over 2 years and the other day the steam wand stopped working - no audible noise of even trying - and I get 3 soft beeps when I turn the handle to on. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have thoroughly cleaned everything, water level high, even released the descale screw for an hour in case of air pocket as suggested by service dept at Breville.

Just wondering if you found the problem to this?

I often (at least twice a week) turn the steam on to get nothing. Just the three beeps. Or a real weak shot of steam that just bubbles the milk. If I turn it off and wait another minute or two, I get full steam.

Temp says it's at 90C and all the lights are on, so I've just assumed there hasn't been enough steam pressure built up, as it's the first cup of the day and I'm impatient!

If I leave the steam open and pull a shot, the steam gradually builds and by the 30 sec mark its pretty much full pressure.

Have zero tools here to test things so flying a bit blind

Will ring Breville today, but was hoping to find an answer here. Machine is around 9 mths old so still well under warranty.

How long after switching the machine on is this coffeegirl? Mine is never ready as soon as the brew boiler is up to temp. Always takes a couple of minutes longer for me.

I would just go out on a limb and say, the solonoid is dead. I had a good chat to the repairers this morning and they mentioned the solonoids in these things die all the time for random reasons, they just let go and its nothing u can recreate, just what happens.

I just got my machine back as it just stopped filling the steamer from a descale, they said solonoid was dead, pump was basically cactus, main coffee pump was nearly dead and heaps of o-rings needed replacing!

Does the BES920XL require the filters if you have very soft water?
    Scale build up was close to nonexistent on our EM6910 without the filter.
    Last edited by geebee666; 20th May 2017 at 09:11 PM.

@ BW81

It looks like it would be easy to use a Dremel to adjust the taper to match your old one?
    Or depending on the taper a large drill bit.
    Last edited by geebee666; 22nd May 2017 at 03:13 PM.

After a couple of years hard work the group head started to leak, so off to the repairers.
    A new collar was installed, solenoid checked and cleaned, machine serviced and the funky water level light fixed.
    Apparently the opv was shot, so that was replaced as well
    $400 later, Good as new.

Just wondering if there is anyone that offers an extended warranty on these at all?
    I managed to pick up both the 920 and smart grinder pro for $1035 delivered (BES920 from ebay for $835 and smart grinder pro from myer for $199)

Quote Originally Posted by reddevl View Post
    Just wondering if there is anyone that offers an extended warranty on these at all?
    I managed to pick up both the 920 and smart grinder pro for $1035 delivered (BES920 from ebay for $835 and smart grinder pro from myer for $199)
    If you bought it at a large retailer then you probably would have been able to purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase. I've never heard of one after purchase.

hey thanks L3, but it wasn't through a large retailer

Quote Originally Posted by reddevl View Post
    From eBay there would be too much risk for someone to provide what is essentially insurance on something they know nothing about. Myer might give you extended but you find that extended warranty is generally sold at time of purchase.

My husband has just done the first descale and now I can't get any steam. the espresso works okay but it seems as if there is no water in the steam boiler, no pressure at all and no lights. Is there any trick to this descaling business he may have overlooked. He just followed the instructions in the manual. This is our second dual boiler, the BES900 is just gathering dust so might have to resurrect it.
    We bought the new one in August 2015 so amazingly still in the warranty period. First time ever that something I have bought goes wrong within the time.

Hello Beezneez.

Is it possibly an airlock that may have prevented the stean boiler from filling?

I suggest that you give Breville a phonecall to see what they say.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by dan77 View Post
    From eBay there would be too much risk for someone to provide what is essentially insurance on something they know nothing about. Myer might give you extended but you find that extended warranty is generally sold at time of purchase.
    hey thanks Dan, I agree - extended warranty was not offered as an option at time of purchase

KFT
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
    Just wondering if you found the problem to this?

I often (at least twice a week) turn the steam on to get nothing. Just the three beeps. Or a real weak shot of steam that just bubbles the milk. If I turn it off and wait another minute or two, I get full steam.

Temp says it's at 90C and all the lights are on, so I've just assumed there hasn't been enough steam pressure built up, as it's the first cup of the day and I'm impatient!

If I leave the steam open and pull a shot, the steam gradually builds and by the 30 sec mark its pretty much full pressure.

Have zero tools here to test things so flying a bit blind

Will ring Breville today, but was hoping to find an answer here. Machine is around 9 mths old so still well under warranty.
    I have this afternoon completed a descale on my BES920 and get the same 3 beeps when I try for steam. There is water in the boilers. Just left it for an hour and still nothing.
    Any ideas anyone?

The steam boiler is either not full or the sensor thinks it's not full so the heating element is being turned on. The three beeps is the steam not up to temperature.

Leave the steam valve open for a while in case its air locked. Maybe give the machine the odd slap or two while your at it.

Quote Originally Posted by KFT View Post
    I have this afternoon completed a descale on my BES920 and get the same 3 beeps when I try for steam. There is water in the boilers. Just left it for an hour and still nothing.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Mine did that after its first descale because it had blown the element in the steam boiler and needed to be repaired. If it doesn't come right after leaving the valve open for a while call Breville.

Hi. I think something's wrong with my BES920 pre-infusion phase. Quite often it produces no water in the pre-infusion phase and is completely silent like in this video:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0055bxqm9ee403/bad.MOV?dl=0

And sometimes it works in my opinion "correctly": https://www.dropbox.com/s/05od53jetohcfdp/good.MOV?dl=0

Anyone else has this? Maybe this is normal?

This comes up so often there should be some mind of sticky thread about it! I believe the standard answer is that its a pump issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    This comes up so often there should be some mind of sticky thread about it! I believe the standard answer is that its a pump issue?
    I reckon it's sort of pump related, but more to do with the OPV. Particularly if it happens when the machines already at temperature.

Ask noidle. He is the breville guru.

It's a faulty pump. The preinfusion function takes a toll on the Ulka pumps for some reason, whether Breville use frequency or voltage modulation to achieve the lower pressure I'm not sure, whatever it is the pumps can't really handle it after a while.

Signs of a failing/failed OPV include not reaching full brew pressure in a reasonable time, never reaching full brew pressure or brew pressure tapering off once extraction is underway.

If I have some spare time I could make a thread about common faults with these machines plus some other common appliance machines, eg EM6910/7000, BES860/870.
    Probably would save a lot of people time if they could find their answers in one thread.
    Javaphile and Melbroaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    It's a faulty pump. The preinfusion function takes a toll on the Ulka pumps for some reason, whether Breville use frequency or voltage modulation to achieve the lower pressure I'm not sure, whatever it is the pumps can't really handle it after a while.

Signs of a failing/failed OPV include not reaching full brew pressure in a reasonable time, never reaching full brew pressure or brew pressure tapering off once extraction is underway.

If I have some spare time I could make a thread about common faults with these machines plus some other common appliance machines, eg EM6910/7000, BES860/870.
    Probably would save a lot of people time if they could find their answers in one thread.

Thanks a lot!

I have lost my single cup basket, does anyone know if I can use the double cup basket instead when cleaning? I do have the rubber insert but understand it seems to be made for the single cup basket only. Cheers

The double works fine with the insert

I have never used the single cup basket with the insert. Always the double.

Wow thanks. The two cup basket worked.

Whoops, my bad. I had given advice that the two cup basket didn't work. I'd just never tried and assumed from the shape that it wouldn't. My mistake.

Whoops, my bad. I had given advice that the two cup basket didn't work. I'd just never tried and assumed from the shape that it wouldn't. My mistake.
    No problem! Who was to know if one never tried? The booklet specifically states to use 1 cup. I really didn't think it would work being a different size.

Re steam not working after descaling, this is a common problem with this machine.
    The element in the steam boiler has blown and it and possibly the boiler has to be replaced.
    Return the machine to were you bought it, it's their responsibility per the 2 year warranty.
    Meanwhile obtain the descaling instructions from the Breville site for the 2015 model. You can identify the right software from the serial no.
    Also look on product review.com.au for the 920 descale problem. All answers are there.

Hi all. Been reading the great information in this forum.
    Just bought this machine and am very happy with it.
    Just noticed that it will be $799 at good guys this weekend which is outstanding.

I bought my 920 about a month ago for $799.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    I bought my 920 about a month ago for $799.
    Good deal. I got mine for $999 but luckily credit card has price guarantee. So will get back difference.

Regardless of your opinion on appliance level espresso machines that is an incredible amount of machine for $799. In the usa it still sells for $1299 $USD in a market where the new Rocket Mozzafiato sells for $1999!!!!!

Can anyone suggest a source for replacement steam boiler O-rings for the 920 please?
    In particular the smaller orange ones but may as well replace the larger bluish ones as well while I'm there.
    Thanks
    Last edited by argus; 16th June 2017 at 06:25 PM.

"Meanwhile obtain the descaling instructions from the Breville site for the 2015 model. You can identify the right software from the serial no."

Do you have a link for where you can "select" instructions by Model? Never seen that or a serial number for that matter.

https://www.breville.com.au/thedualboiler-4072.html

At the bottom click on the support tab. The manual will be on the left. No idea about the serial numbers though.

They are on the US site at the bottom of this page Care
    You identify by batch number located by removing the water container

The guy who's fixing the machine doesn't quite believe that it could be faulty pump. He thinks that might be the computer or something like that. Can he be wrong and it's always the pump in this case? Also, I think the pressure builds up too slow (video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/khk4ombhdroqqpd/slow.MOV?dl=0). Am I imagining things or this is the same faulty pump or it could be the OPV?

Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    They are on the US site at the bottom of this page Care
    You identify by batch number located by removing the water container
    Good stuff. That should really be a sticky up the top for these descaling issues.

Hi there, I've just bought a BES920, love it, makes great coffee!!

Just wondering about water filtering. I've got an under sink 3 filter system which essentially filters everything but fluoride. The water hardness test came back as a 1.

Question is do I really need to replace the filter if I'm using filtered water already? If yes, the manual says to replace the filter every 2 months. Do they assume you are just using tap water?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheungy View Post
    Hi there, I've just bought a BES920, love it, makes great coffee!!

Just wondering about water filtering. I've got an under sink 3 filter system which essentially filters everything but fluoride. The water hardness test came back as a 1.

Question is do I really need to replace the filter if I'm using filtered water already? If yes, the manual says to replace the filter every 2 months. Do they assume you are just using tap water?

Thanks
    I posted a similar query with no response, but discovered Harvey Normans sell a 6 pack of filters for under $30 on sale ATM for $28 so realistically cheap insurance, the filters soften the water as well but like you mine came up as one hardness as well.

If you find removing the filter baskets to hard, mine almost needed a crowbar I just removed the retaining spring and gave it a gentle flex over a cupboard knob to bend the flat sections in a very small amount, now I can easily swap baskets as I generally make 3 coffees at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by vytautas View Post
    The guy who's fixing the machine doesn't quite believe that it could be faulty pump. He thinks that might be the computer or something like that. Can he be wrong and it's always the pump in this case? Also, I think the pressure builds up too slow (video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/khk4ombhdroqqpd/slow.MOV?dl=0). Am I imagining things or this is the same faulty pump or it could be the OPV?
    btw, after i got it back from the service it started making sounds like this - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yk4wz7bbi...sound.MOV?dl=0 Any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geebee666 View Post
    I posted a similar query with no response, but discovered Harvey Normans sell a 6 pack of filters for under $30 on sale ATM for $28 so realistically cheap insurance, the filters soften the water as well but like you mine came up as one hardness as well.
    I agree that it's good insurance.
    I bought a 12 pack from fleabay from someone in California for about $26 including delivery. You have to set the location filter to worldwide to see them. Titled "12 Pack Charcoal Water Filters for Breville Espresso & Coffee Makers,BWF100".

Well, in my experience, changing the pump has always fixed the problem. There could well be an issue with the preinfusion function output of the circuit board but I have yet to see it and I would be doubtful that it is the case.

The gauge response seems like a faulty OPV to me rather than the pump. They're cheap to replace and on older machines with pressure problems, regardless of the root cause, I usually replace them anyway.

Not really sure what that sound is on your latest video. Maybe he did change the pump and it's touching something and rattling. Did he provide a service report for the repairs?

Well, in my experience, changing the pump has always fixed the problem. There could well be an issue with the preinfusion function output of the circuit board but I have yet to see it and I would be doubtful that it is the case.

The gauge response seems like a faulty OPV to me rather than the pump. They're cheap to replace and on older machines with pressure problems, regardless of the root cause, I usually replace them anyway.

Not really sure what that sound is on your latest video. Maybe he did change the pump and it's touching something and rattling. Did he provide a service report for the repairs?
    He only changed the gasket (?). When I asked him to change the pump he said that it's unlikely that it is the cause and he will try to change the circuit board and the pump when he receives the parts. It's under the warranty, so I don't really care that much if he's going to change more parts than necessary. I'll try to ask him to change the OPV anyways. Thanks a lot for helping!

Just picked up the Dual Boiler for $799 and the Smart Grinder Pro for $199 at The Good Guys, plus 2x free 500g bags of brand irrelevant supermarket spec beans. These should be on sale for the rest of the month, and it's pretty much the best price I've seen them go for, which is why I jumped on it. I also got the extended warranty to 5 years on the DB for $149, but this is obviously optional, I just like the peace of mind given some of the older revisions of this machine have had issues.

Never had my own espresso gear before so looking forward to the learning experience.
    Last edited by Jakeys; 18th June 2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: $799, not $899. $1k total for the pair.
    level3ninja likes this.

He only changed the gasket (?). When I asked him to change the pump he said that it's unlikely that it is the cause and he will try to change the circuit board and the pump when he receives the parts. It's under the warranty, so I don't really care that much if he's going to change more parts than necessary. I'll try to ask him to change the OPV anyways. Thanks a lot for helping!
    Well if it has the original teflon sealing discs on the three way solenoid, it's possible that one of them closed up and caused a lack of pressure to the group head (a common problem on late model BES900 and early model BES920). This could explain the poor pressure. The new ones have a metal insert inside them to stop this from happening.
    The teflon discs and metal inserts aren't available as a spare part though so he may have replaced them with the silicone gasket that Breville supply.

Has the repair fixed the pressure problem that you were having or is it still down on pressure?

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast