Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 1741
Like Tree325Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "Meanwhile obtain the descaling instructions from the Breville site for the 2015 model. You can identify the right software from the serial no."

Do you have a link for where you can "select" instructions by Model? Never seen that or a serial number for that matter.
    Don't remember exactly where on the Breville support site. The serial no. is inside the water tank compartment. Just take it back to the shop, it's their responsibility not Breville. They will contact Breville and get it fixed. They have more clout than you do with Breville.

Not that there was a problem John - just interested in serial number specific process that was raised. Its all on the US website but isn't or is no longer on the Australian site. Its an important bit of info that should be there.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    looking at purchasing one of these possibly with the smart pro grinder. I note they now package this together as BEP920, but best price is @ $1299. But if you purchase individually can get BES920 for $799 and the Pro Grinder for $199 (Good Guys), so total $999! Would've thought the packaged version would be priced similar, if not better...

Is there any difference in features/inclusions (I couldn't see any) that justify the price difference, or is it just that the 'Package' set is current stock so attracting a higher price point for now?

Thanks!

As far as I'm aware they are identical, it's just that the BES920 is on sale, so if the package isn't on sale for some reason then that'd be why it's more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crema_Lad View Post
    looking at purchasing one of these possibly with the smart pro grinder. I note they now package this together as BEP920, but best price is @ $1299. But if you purchase individually can get BES920 for $799 and the Pro Grinder for $199 (Good Guys), so total $999! Would've thought the packaged version would be priced similar, if not better...

Is there any difference in features/inclusions (I couldn't see any) that justify the price difference, or is it just that the 'Package' set is current stock so attracting a higher price point for now?

Thanks!
    Hope you haven't purchased yet....there's an eBay sale going on at the moment bringing it down to $679

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
    Hope you haven't purchased yet....there's an eBay sale going on at the moment bringing it down to $679
    Even better! Thanks! :-) No I haven't purchased yet ... still researching. Called Breville Outlet and they don't have any in stock, but sell them for $589. I think for $679 I might prefer getting a brand new than a reconditioned unit.

EDIT: I just went to check but see no current sale or that price?? I know Ebay has 20% or similar sales from time to time but current offer seems only $20 off $100+ ??

EDIT 2: Don't worry - found it - Must've refreshed browser as new 15% off deal showed up - using code "CALM" :-) Sold!
    Last edited by Crema_Lad; 19th June 2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: web price check

Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

The not so bad guys evil bay store has the 920 for $679, ripper price.

Cheers

Edit: do'h. missed the info provided already above.
    Last edited by artman; 19th June 2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    The not so bad guys evil bay store has the 920 for $679, ripper price.

Cheers

Edit: do'h. missed the info provided already above.
    'I had a laugh' easily done! I bought the Machine and Grinder for total of $856 with the eBay deal so very happy with that price!! Collect tomorrow so now just hope I'll be as happy with the coffee once I get it up and running!!

Repetition warranted in this case. We've got a Silvia at home and at $679.15, I've just picked up a rather capable 'back-up' unit. :-)

$679 damn that's cheap! I just paid $1118 for the Dynamic Duo bundle, attempting to get Good Guys to honour their 30 day price guarantee as they are now $998 separately.

I'm new here and keep having issues with the coffee blonding out early, have been using the WDT method and not twisting the tamper, but to no avail. Am looking at getting the precision basket (maybe a VST too) and the "great leveller" tamper to help with my methods. I'm new to all this manual stuff, having previously had a Saeco Magic Deluxe superautomatic.

Just not sure what size tamper to get to match that basket? 58mm? 58.3mm? 58.5mm? Are the VST and Precision baskets different in size too, ie will the same tamper fit both? The factory tamper seems marginally too small for the factory basket.

Also trying to source a bottomless portafilter to diagnose where I am going wrong, hopefully someone can point me in the direction of whichever of the recommended suppliers here stocks these.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ribfeast View Post
    $679 damn that's cheap! I just paid $1118 for the Dynamic Duo bundle, attempting to get Good Guys to honour their 30 day price guarantee as they are now $998 separately.

I'm new here and keep having issues with the coffee blonding out early, have been using the WDT method and not twisting the tamper, but to no avail. Am looking at getting the precision basket (maybe a VST too) and the "great leveller" tamper to help with my methods. I'm new to all this manual stuff, having previously had a Saeco Magic Deluxe superautomatic.

Just not sure what size tamper to get to match that basket? 58mm? 58.3mm? 58.5mm? Are the VST and Precision baskets different in size too, ie will the same tamper fit both? The factory tamper seems marginally too small for the factory basket.

Also trying to source a bottomless portafilter to diagnose where I am going wrong, hopefully someone can point me in the direction of whichever of the recommended suppliers here stocks these.

Cheers
    congrats mate I picked mine up just over a month ago, just over $1k delivered (separate 920 and smart grinder pro)

There is a *lot* of very useful info here (and very patient helpful people!), but honestly when you spend this much on a decent coffee machine, why not learn how to use it properly?
    Having absolutely no experience, I went to a local barista school and spent the day learning how to use commercial coffee machines to pull and taste espresso and texture milk etc., all very helpful concepts and techniques that I now use at home

not knowing your experience level - fwiw here's my 2 cents;
    use fresh! beans
    learn how to dose and tamp consistently (use a decent grinder and use the tamper that comes with the machine)
    stick with the dual basket that comes with the machine

imho learn how to dial in new beans and consistently make good coffee first, with the tools that you have, then when ready migrate to different tools/equipment making one change at a time in order to reliably determine how the different tools/equipment changes the coffee

congrats again and enjoy
    level3ninja likes this.

Thanks reddevl My experience with manual machines is zero, but I've read every page of this thread and made a few notes to a txt file as I went along, need to re-read that file actually.
    The texturing of milk has never been a problem as I used to do that manually on the old machine, but it's getting the coffee consistent that is damn tricky!
    I've been weighing the shots at around 20g into the stock basket, grinding at setting 6 on the Smart Grinder, with fresh "Wild Bliss" beans. It seems to blond out at around 15-20 seconds or so, but I can't see any evidence of channelling (puck is very wet on top though). Need a naked portafilter to see where/if it is blonding out so I can check my technique. Ran Breville today and they are out of stock and will call me back tomorrow with price and availability.

A barista course is on the radar too, Crema is just around the corner from my work in Newcastle/New Lambton.
    reddevl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lostincanberra View Post
    Repetition warranted in this case. We've got a Silvia at home and at $679.15, I've just picked up a rather capable 'back-up' unit. :-)
    Jeez, and I thought I did well at $799! At least I got some trash beans to test the machine out and get used to it, before binning and replacing with proper beans. (From Coffee Amigo in Salisbury, for SA readers.)
    I tried that 15% off code mentioned above but it appears to have expired. I am sure it will be back at some stage, I should have waited and done an in store pickup, could have saved myself 150 odd on the duo.

Here's a dumb question. I don't understand the purpose of the single and double shot buttons on the front of the machine when left in the default duration mode. Both buttons run an identical duration of 30 seconds, so they are functionally identical. I even tested this, with no coffee in the portafilter they output an identical volume of water as well. But isn't the extraction time meant to be essentially the same for a single vs. double shot, it's only the dose and grind that should change?

Seems to me these buttons only make sense in volumetric mode, but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious as I am pretty new at this.

I've been weighing the shots at around 20g into the stock basket, grinding at setting 6 on the Smart Grinder, with fresh "Wild Bliss" beans. It seems to blond out at around 15-20 seconds or so, but I can't see any evidence of channelling (puck is very wet on top though). Need a naked portafilter to see where/if it is blonding out so I can check my technique. Ran Breville today and they are out of stock and will call me back tomorrow with price and availability.

I'm weighing 18g in the stock double basket, grinding at 12 on the Smart Grinder, and I am finding my shots to be about right, give or take 1 bar and/or a few seconds off the ideal as I am still inconsistent with my tamping. For the naked portafilter, I purchased fr
    om Googling and finding "needapart.co.nz" as I found that nowhere local had stock. Prices are in NZD, it cost me $117 AUD delivered to SA. If Breville quote you up, make sure it's about on par with that.

Try dropping the dose to 18-19g and grinding a bit finer.
    When were the beans roasted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post
    Here's a dumb question. I don't understand the purpose of the single and double shot buttons on the front of the machine when left in the default duration mode. Both buttons run an identical duration of 30 seconds, so they are functionally identical. I even tested this, with no coffee in the portafilter they output an identical volume of water as well. But isn't the extraction time meant to be essentially the same for a single vs. double shot, it's only the dose and grind that should change?

Seems to me these buttons only make sense in volumetric mode, but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious as I am pretty new at this.
    Forget that they are single and double buttons, they are essentially two programmable buttons. Yes ideally single and double shots take the same amount of time, but taste rules all. If your single basket (which are really fiddly to get right, so don't stress if you find it hard. Most people, including me, never use them) tastes better cutting it off a second earlier then do that. Or you could programme the buttons for two different beans. I programmed them for the same beans in different grinders when I got a new grinder and was setting it up.
    Debs6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Forget that they are single and double buttons, they are essentially two programmable buttons. Yes ideally single and double shots take the same amount of time, but taste rules all. If your single basket (which are really fiddly to get right, so don't stress if you find it hard. Most people, including me, never use them) tastes better cutting it off a second earlier then do that. Or you could programme the buttons for two different beans. I programmed them for the same beans in different grinders when I got a new grinder and was setting it up.
    Great tip! Might use each button for a different bean, once I get off my P plates with my newly acquired beauty (picked up unit today, grinder being delivered Thursday) and am able to pull some consistent shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post

not a dumb question at all Jakeys, with trying to refresh myself on grind/tamp/dose metrics I too get a little confused at the the concept that both single and double shots taking the same time!

I actually have a Macap M3 grinder which is an awesome machine but just find it overkill for the amount of coffee I make, so am downsizing to the breville pro grinder. I made a few shots today but don't want to play around too much until I get the new grinder.

Try dropping the dose to 18-19g and grinding a bit finer.
    When were the beans roasted?
    Shall give it a try

Late May/Early June IIRC, have to check the bags. Should be around 2-3 weeks old, just opened the second sealed bag that we bought the same day and the coffee was a bit better today. Still a sloppy puck but this time on grinder setting "5" it didn't blond out, it actually struggled to infuse it all and I ran the manual button afterwards for another 5-10 seconds to get a bit more volume. Might try playing with the volume-based settings in the future.

That dose will be sloppy on the 920. Just my view (and you'll get plenty!) - forget the blonding thing. One of the most misleading things in coffee extraction. Try the easy way. Weigh 20g of coffee in, weigh 40g of extracted coffee out. And just adjust your grind so that takes around 30 to 35 secs. Don't change anything except the grind until you get that. Don't press anything twice, don't touch anything. When you get it that's your start point. Taste and take a note.

Let us know what you get.
    Crema_Lad and level3ninja like this.

Yeah if it's a lighter roast it will look like it's blonded long before you should stop it. My current bean blondes at around 20s and I don't stop it until 35s because that's when it tastes best.
    If it's a darker roast you may need to get it all out in 28 seconds.
    Chris likes this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    That dose will be sloppy on the 920. Just my view (and you'll get plenty!) - forget the blonding thing. One of the most misleading things in coffee extraction. Try the easy way. Weigh 20g of coffee in, weigh 40g of extracted coffee out. And just adjust your grind so that takes around 30 to 35 secs. Don't change anything except the grind until you get that. Don't press anything twice, don't touch anything. When you get it that's your start point. Taste and take a note.

I get where you're coming from. And I also get that the 'blonding point' is a little subjective. But in the long run, observing the change in colour of the extracted coffee can help you work out what your problem is. Fair enough though that it is probably the last data point to 'dial in'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    I get where you're coming from. And I also get that the 'blonding point' is a little subjective. But in the long run, observing the change in colour of the extracted coffee can help you work out what your problem is. Fair enough though that it is probably the last data point to 'dial in'.
    Yeah perhaps I was a little hard on that bit. The formula should be more when it looks like "that" I like the taste. I just have an intense dislike of "when the shot goes blond stop!" There could be a page written on those potential variables and more to the point the vicious circle of disappointment it can create in people finding their feet. Coffee is not supposed to bring more stress to life!

Yeah if it's a lighter roast it will look like it's blonded long before you should stop it. My current bean blondes at around 20s and I don't stop it until 35s because that's when it tastes best.
    If it's a darker roast you may need to get it all out in 28 seconds.
    Thats a better way of explaining my point! ��

How often should you descale? Sorry I couldn't find this in the search results.

Also, I bought the 25g sachet which says to mix it with 1L of water. Do I have to make up 2L of this (2 sachets) as the breville instructions say fill the water tank to max.

I measured this morning and it was 19g, coffee was brilliant with a 30s extraction and only barely started to blond out at around 25s and I let it run to 30. Will have to try measuring how many grams actually went into the cups next. Flavour was good, the beans are a fairly light roast (Wild Bliss). Puck wasn't very watery this time and I couldn't see any channeling, so maybe I just wasn't grinding fine enough all this time. Left it on grinder setting 5. Will keep playing, I only use the machine once each morning so each time I try something different Thanks for all your help!
    Chris, level3ninja and reddevl like this.

I measured this morning and it was 19g, coffee was brilliant with a 30s extraction and only barely started to blond out at around 25s and I let it run to 30. Will have to try measuring how many grams actually went into the cups next. Flavour was good, the beans are a fairly light roast (Wild Bliss). Puck wasn't very watery this time and I couldn't see any channeling, so maybe I just wasn't grinding fine enough all this time. Left it on grinder setting 5. Will keep playing, I only use the machine once each morning so each time I try something different Thanks for all your help!
    nice!!

also fwiw in addition to the barista day I would have been keen to get the White Glove service from Breville, where they come to you and show you how to get the best out of your machine, unfortunately it's no longer offered on anything except the Oracle all in one (where it's free btw - Club Oracle by Breville, giving you true cafe quality coffee at home - White Glove Service)

but it would be nice to have someone come to you and show you on your equipment, plus you could ask them all sorts of questions

Great work. I have the same problem with not being able to use it after work on weekdays, I did one night around 6pm and regretted it at 2am. :P
    level3ninja likes this.

Yep now weigh your shot. Be interested to know.

My Breville BES920 recently developed an issue, turned out to be an easy fix so thought I would share my experience and maybe save you some money on an overpriced repair..

I noticed that during a descale it tripped the RCD (circuit breaker), and then started to do it more and more frequently. I also noticed that the pump started to kick in more often on heat up and it also made some fizzing/boiling water noise during operation, the noise sounded like when you put cold water into a hot saucepan. I thought it was just the sound of water hitting the heating element inside the steam boiler, and kind of ignored it.

Turns out my steam boiler had developed a leak and steam was condensing on the triac circuit board mounted on the underside of the cover directly above the steam boiler. The silicone rubber seals around the probes in the steam boiler had been heat damaged and started to leak. Good news is the silicone o rings are easy to source online and quite easy to replace yourself. My local Breville repairer wanted to charge me $350 to do the repair, I bought replacement o rings for $5 and fixed it myself. Now it's running good as new, and there is the boiler is absolutely silent during heat up and extraction.

Here's a link detailing the fix, also the o ring supplier mentioned Grainger can ship to Australia and you get a packet of 100 which will last you a lifetime.

http://www.home-barista.com/repairs/...nt-t46444.html

Enjoy!
    Crema_Lad, DamianS and bw81 like this.

Nice work!
    Mine was leaking water over the outside of the portafilter when I made coffee this morning, maybe I'll have to check the seal on the group head. Visually looks OK and I backflush each time I use the machine (<30 days old)

The seal should last more than 30 days. Take it out to see if it has split.

Hi, I'm having a problem with Bar Pressure gauge on my machine.
    The needle doesn't moved past 1 so doesn't get to 8-10 pressure.
    There is no creama where previously.
    Is there a way I can fix this myself.
    i changed the seal on Sunday hoping it might help but no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan13 View Post
    Hi, I'm having a problem with Bar Pressure gauge on my machine.
    The needle doesn't moved past 1 so doesn't get to 8-10 pressure.
    There is no creama where previously.
    Is there a way I can fix this myself.
    i changed the seal on Sunday hoping it might help but no change.
    Put the rubber cleaning disk in and run the machine. What does the gauge say then?

I managed to post in the BES900 thread when I have a BES920.

Has anyone ever sourced and serviced the replacement portafilter collar themselves? I think it may be the source of my leaks when brewing.

Hi Chris.

When I put the rubber disk in the neddle moved up to two but it still leaked from the side even though I've changed the seal.

Thanks for responding

So you had to be problem before you changed the seal?

So you had to be problem before you changed the seal?

Yes I did but I thought changing the seal might of helped. Not sure what to try next.

Im making coffees with it but not getting the quality extraction.

Looks like I've missed out! I have a 900, which is rather sickly, so thought I'd upgrade. Oh well. no doubt, they will have more sales soon

Yes I did but I thought changing the seal might of helped. Not sure what to try next.

It might be worth checking for wear on the plastic collar that retains the portafilter in the group head, l've done it on a BES900 because portafilter kept unlocking during extraction. It's pretty straight forward provided you can source the correct collar for the BES920. Here's a link detailing the procedure for a BES900, l imagine no difference with BES920. I purchased the group head seal and plastic collar for $9 each on eBay.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWn_hQtmEbg

Just be very careful when lifting out the brew boiler, take care not to damage any of the wires when screwing it back down.

Hi all,

Just grabbed one of these in the recent ebay/GG sale. Coming from EM7000 I had my smart grinder at 15.2 seconds 2 shots 3 fineness, into the double basket.

I think the EM7000 had a dual wall filter basket, but my reading suggests I should be using the single wall filter for this machine?

Ill get reading this thread but in the meantime any suggested settings to start with for this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by csutak40 View Post
    Looks like I've missed out! I have a 900, which is rather sickly, so thought I'd upgrade. Oh well. no doubt, they will have more sales soon
    Check out EBay right now....48 hour sale with 15% off over $75 spend using code 'cracker'.

Quote Originally Posted by noise36 View Post
    Hi all,

Just grabbed one of these in the recent ebay/GG sale. Coming from EM7000 I had my smart grinder at 15.2 seconds 2 shots 3 fineness, into the double basket.

I think the EM7000 had a dual wall filter basket, but my reading suggests I should be using the single wall filter for this machine?

Ill get reading this thread but in the meantime any suggested settings to start with for this combo?
    Assuming you're using speciality coffee roasted within the last month (preferably 3 weeks) then yes you should be using the single wall baskets. The dual wall baskets will make old or pre-ground coffee taste better, but fresh coffee taste worse.

It's hard to say exactly what settings because the numbers aren't calibrated to anything and will do different things on different grinders (except the time, but it doesn't produce the same weight per second). If you have a set of scales that reads in grams, use them to weigh 18-19g into the double basket (single wall). With the coffee you get out, and aim to get 36-38g in the cup (brew ratio of 1:2). Aim to get that weight out in 28-35sec (consistently, but somewhere in that range). Note that when you change the grind setting, you will need to adjust the time on the grinder, as the finer you grind the longer it takes per gram. Stick to 18-19g in the basket, but you can play with the weight out and the time to see what you think tastes best. I would advise only changing one variable at a time, and generally the heirarchy goes weight in > weight out > time. When you change one any down the line will need to be checked again.

Try starting at the same grind setting with 18-19g in the basket and see how you go. Don't stress too much about the numbers or what it looks like, taste rules all. Everything else is just a guide to get you close, your mouth must be the final guide.

P.S. is your smart grinder a BCG800 or BCG820?
    zeezaw and reddevl like this.

Assuming you're using speciality coffee roasted
    Yes using using specialty coffee roasted within the last month. Never knew that about the different baskets...probably wasn't using the correct basket with my EM7000 for a long while.

Its the 820.

Thanks for the tips, I do have some scales, will give it a run at current settings and go from there.

Hey everyone,

My machine has been much louder during its normal operation which is worrying me. I clean it when it says and descale it when needed but I can't seem to work out what would be causing it to be so noisy.

During the pre-infusion it's particular loud then when the coffee starts to pour it's what I remember the normal sound level to be.

Any thoughts?

It hasn't been in for a service anywhere yet and I've had it since October 2015.

As always, appreciate any help or advice you can offer!

Brian

Put the disk in again and run the machine with the drip tray grill removed. Do you see any water flowing into the drip tray while the machine is running?

This will help check the three way valve.

Yep now weigh your shot. Be interested to know.
    I put 2 cups under the portafilter, but I measured one cup at around 25g. Assuming equal amounts went in both cups and scales are accurate (a big assumption) then it's around 50g of liquid into the cups.

This has been one of the best pieces of advice I've found so far on these awesome threads! Thank you. I have been confused myself trying to work out the variables to getting a great shot. This advice is awesome to give a baseline to which (at least for me!) made it easier to determine where to look at tweaking the process. And you wouldn't believe it but I got 40gm in 32 seconds on my first attempt - and it tasted pretty good! I tried again this morning and found similar results but in 29 secs however the shot tasted a little more 'sour' to me (I might be getting this mixed with bright/acidic -but whatever it is, it's not to my tastebuds liking!). I guess that's an example of needing to micro tune the grind setting (finer) to get a slightly longer extraction....

Awesome shots however - beyond expectations I must say!
    level3ninja likes this.

I put 2 cups under the portafilter, but I measured one cup at around 25g. Assuming equal amounts went in both cups and scales are accurate (a big assumption) then it's around 50g of liquid into the cups.
    Cool. So on your 19g dose hat give you a extraction ratio of around 2.6. (50/19). That can be a little high so when you have a quiet half hour try this.

Do do the same again (in one cup) keeping everything the same noting you time. Clean up, adjust your grinder one click finer and run for ten secs to clear out the old grind. Remember only change the grind with the grinder running.

Now repeat your brew keeping your 19g dose and same time. Weigh, record and taste both. Let us know how you go and which you feel tastes better.

Quote Originally Posted by Crema_Lad View Post
    This has been one of the best pieces of advice I've found so far on these awesome threads! Thank you. I have been confused myself trying to work out the variables to getting a great shot. This advice is awesome to give a baseline to which (at least for me!) made it easier to determine where to look at tweaking the process. And you wouldn't believe it but I got 40gm in 32 seconds on my first attempt - and it tasted pretty good! I tried again this morning and found similar results but in 29 secs however the shot tasted a little more 'sour' to me (I might be getting this mixed with bright/acidic -but whatever it is, it's not to my tastebuds liking!). I guess that's an example of needing to micro tune the grind setting (finer) to get a slightly longer extraction....

Awesome shots however - beyond expectations I must say!
    Good to to hear you're getting results. This is where you're sort on the edge of a cliff. Assuming you got 40g again in your second attempt that 3 secs faster extraction could be down to a number of things, tamp pressure, atmospheric etc.. What I can tell you is chasing down 3 secs with grind is a tough gig. You might get there with the Madcap but you certainly won't with a Smart Grinder, it's just not precise enough. If you got 40g both times with the same dose that few seconds should not change the taste significantly - the ratio hasn't changed. So many things could change your interpretation of the taste however.

My suggestion would be leave everything as is for a week and assess each shot. If after a week you generally feel the shot is too sour then you can look at extracting a little longer time wise only. Stay away from that grind control for now!

if like me you can't help yourself and touch the grind cool. Just wipe the memory and start from scratch aiming for that 40g first. Too sour try 45g, too bitter try 35g. Again use time as the fine adjustment, not the grind.

On a side note a good way to understand what your tasting go for a 60g (3/1) shot. That will almost certainly be bitter and ashy. Understand what your mouth is telling you and wind it back 10g at a time rinsing your mouth between each one. Stir your shot before you taste. Good way to spend a lazy Sunday.
    reddevl likes this.

Assuming you got 40g again in your second attempt that 3 secs faster extraction could be down to a number of things, tamp pressure, atmospheric etc..
    I think another likely culprit is the smart grinder timed dose. Can vary noticeably in weight produced shot to shot. If he's "on the cliff" as you say then it could push it one way or the other.

Good to to hear you're getting results. This is where you're sort on the edge of a cliff. Assuming you got 40g again in your second attempt that 3 secs faster extraction could be down to a number of things, tamp pressure, atmospheric etc.. What I can tell you is chasing down 3 secs with grind is a tough gig. You might get there with the Madcap but you certainly won't with a Smart Grinder, it's just not precise enough. If you got 40g both times with the same dose that few seconds should not change the taste significantly - the ratio hasn't changed. So many things could change your interpretation of the taste however.

My suggestion would be leave everything as is for a week and assess each shot. If after a week you generally feel the shot is too sour then you can look at extracting a little longer time wise only. Stay away from that grind control for now!

if like me you can't help yourself and touch the grind cool. Just wipe the memory and start from scratch aiming for that 40g first. Too sour try 45g, too bitter try 35g. Again use time as the fine adjustment, not the grind.

On a side note a good way to understand what your tasting go for a 60g (3/1) shot. That will almost certainly be bitter and ashy. Understand what your mouth is telling you and wind it back 10g at a time rinsing your mouth between each one. Stir your shot before you taste. Good way to spend a lazy Sunday.
    More great and easy to work with advice thanks! And aligns with my own thoughts in that I should purposely pull some 'bad' shots to know (taste) in comparison.

I think another likely culprit is the smart grinder timed dose. Can vary noticeably in weight produced shot to shot. If he's "on the cliff" as you say then it could push it one way or the other.
    I actually am using the Sette 270W grinder, and been getting a weighed dose of 20gm each time. I'm after consistency (aren't we all!) so like the concept Chris has suggested of leaving the grind alone and reviewing the results for a period before teetering over the cliff with further changes. Thanks both for your input!!

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast