Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35
Results 1,701 to 1,721 of 1721
Like Tree320Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

what is the age of the beans?

and

Have you adjusted the adjustable top burr on the grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    what is the age of the beans?

and

Have you adjusted the adjustable top burr on the grinder?
    Under two weeks not at home so can't see roast date at the moment.

No didn't know the grinder was adjustable...will need to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise36 View Post
    Think I have an issue.

Trying to replicate the recipe provided by the roaster.

95c 20g basket ( double single wall I assume?)

22g in 46g out in 28 seconds.

I ended up with 57 grams in the cup with my smart grinder 820 at 1 fineness.

I assume I need to find a way to get a finer grind?
    Adjust your upper burr setting finer.

Quote Originally Posted by noise36 View Post
    Under two weeks not at home so can't see roast date at the moment.

No didn't know the grinder was adjustable...will need to look into it.
    Simple adjustment, instructions at the end of your manual.

I bought some really old Vittoria beans from the supermarket a week ago and even with the Top Burr adjusted to #1 and the LCD adjusted to #1 i had a gushy shot.

However for fresh beans i'm on Burr #2 and LCD 11 - 16.

Default is Burr #3.

Quote Originally Posted by stralto View Post
    Default is Burr #3.
    perhaps it varies, but i thought default was 5 or 6. i've had 2 (first one was faulty) and both were on 5 or 6. can't remember exactly. mine is currently on 4 as i was getting down in to single digits on 5 and wanted more flexibility.

I think mine came on 5

Mine was at 6, moved it to 3...now I have no idea where to start!

Hello all,

I have owned the BDB for a few weeks and am very happy with it.

A problem I am having however is that my pressure does not hold, and will drop a full bar during extraction. I have already tested the pressure with the blind insert in the basket, and it holds at 10 bar, so i dont think the pump/OPV is at fault. I am certain this is due to channeling as the espresso starts flowing nicely but starts gushing towards the end.

Regardless of my grind size, dose or bean I experience this ~1 bar drop each time. I am using the stock Breville single wall double basket with a Smart Grinder Pro.

I have also noticed that the stock Tamper that comes with the BDB does not fit flushly inside the Breville single wall double basket. I am very certain I am experiencing edge channeling as when I inspect the puck i see small gaps between side of the puck and the side of the basket.

Has anyone experienced constant edge channeling using the stock basket and tamper?
    Did you fix this? If not how much and how are you dosing?

You will only get the full pressure when the flow is fully blocked by the blind incert or the coffee is ground too fine. The faster the flow the lower the pressure will be.

As the coffee beans age you have to grind them finer. The main test is how does it taste in the cup.

Barry.

i recently just got a naked portafilter for the dual boiler and it seems that i have to lock it in quite far to the right (past the 90 degree mark) otherwise i get some leaking at the point where the handle meets the basket. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeah happens to me too, and on the stock portafilter too. Not sure whether to log a fault with Breville about it or just overtighten. Apparently it's the group head collar insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Did you fix this? If not how much and how are you dosing?
    Unfortunately not. I have good days and bad days, but generally i get a 1 bar drop over the 25 - 30second extraction.

After pre infusion pressure will shoot up to 9.5 - 9.8bar which provides a nice thin steam. Over the next 15 seconds the pressure will drop and it will start "gushing" and blonding quite quickly.

I am dosing 19.5g. To give you an idea of volume, after tamping, there is a good 2mm gap between the top of the puck at the bottom of the included "razor" tool. To actually get enough volume in the basket so that it levels out at where the "razor" tool suggests, id need to be dosing another 2 grams. After the the shot the puck is dry and sometimes there is the faint imprint of the shower screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribfeast View Post
    Yeah happens to me too, and on the stock portafilter too. Not sure whether to log a fault with Breville about it or just overtighten. Apparently it's the group head collar insert.
    yeah i might just drop them an email about it cause i feel like i have to push it a lot to lock it in without the leaking

The annoying thing is you have to take it to one of their service centres and potentially be without the machine for weeks. Unless they can order the part and let you bring it in for the day when it arrives.

Does anyone know where I am able to get a Naked portafilter from? They are advertised on the Breville site but they dont have a store.

Does anyone know where I am able to get a Naked portafilter from? They are advertised on the Breville site but they dont have a store.
    hey mate mentioned several times in this thread already (there are a few options), try the 'search thread' tool at the top right and see how you go

Quote Originally Posted by reddevl View Post
    hey mate mentioned several times in this thread already (there are a few options), try the 'search thread' tool at the top right and see how you go
    Hi reddevl, I searched for "bottomless portafilter" and got a few results but none that could point me in the direction of a retail who actually sells it.

Hi reddevl, I searched for "bottomless portafilter" and got a few results but none that could point me in the direction of a retail who actually sells it.
    hey mate try 'naked portafilter' (your original term!) brings up over 3 pages of results

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    They seem to be hard to come by, but sure someone has them for sale locally. I got mine from Seattle Coffee Gear in the States. they may offer Int'l postage even, but I have a virtual mailbox where stuff gets consolidated and couriered over

Yes very difficult to come by.

Thanks to reddevl and jooi312 for directing me to Need A Part in NZ who stock the Naked / Bottomless Portafilter for the 920 Dual Boiler for $115 NZD + $7 shipping to Aus. If no links are allowed then a quick Google search will return their store.
    Crema_Lad and level3ninja like this.

Call Breville, I bought one direct for around $79 + shipping over the phone.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35