Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 1924
Like Tree355Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

what is the age of the beans?

and

Have you adjusted the adjustable top burr on the grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    what is the age of the beans?

and

Have you adjusted the adjustable top burr on the grinder?
    Under two weeks not at home so can't see roast date at the moment.

No didn't know the grinder was adjustable...will need to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise36 View Post
    Think I have an issue.

Trying to replicate the recipe provided by the roaster.

95c 20g basket ( double single wall I assume?)

22g in 46g out in 28 seconds.

I ended up with 57 grams in the cup with my smart grinder 820 at 1 fineness.

I assume I need to find a way to get a finer grind?
    Adjust your upper burr setting finer.

Under two weeks not at home so can't see roast date at the moment.

No didn't know the grinder was adjustable...will need to look into it.
    Simple adjustment, instructions at the end of your manual.

I bought some really old Vittoria beans from the supermarket a week ago and even with the Top Burr adjusted to #1 and the LCD adjusted to #1 i had a gushy shot.

However for fresh beans i'm on Burr #2 and LCD 11 - 16.

Default is Burr #3.

Quote Originally Posted by stralto View Post
    Default is Burr #3.
    perhaps it varies, but i thought default was 5 or 6. i've had 2 (first one was faulty) and both were on 5 or 6. can't remember exactly. mine is currently on 4 as i was getting down in to single digits on 5 and wanted more flexibility.

I think mine came on 5

Mine was at 6, moved it to 3...now I have no idea where to start!

Hello all,

I have owned the BDB for a few weeks and am very happy with it.

A problem I am having however is that my pressure does not hold, and will drop a full bar during extraction. I have already tested the pressure with the blind insert in the basket, and it holds at 10 bar, so i dont think the pump/OPV is at fault. I am certain this is due to channeling as the espresso starts flowing nicely but starts gushing towards the end.

Regardless of my grind size, dose or bean I experience this ~1 bar drop each time. I am using the stock Breville single wall double basket with a Smart Grinder Pro.

I have also noticed that the stock Tamper that comes with the BDB does not fit flushly inside the Breville single wall double basket. I am very certain I am experiencing edge channeling as when I inspect the puck i see small gaps between side of the puck and the side of the basket.

Has anyone experienced constant edge channeling using the stock basket and tamper?
    Did you fix this? If not how much and how are you dosing?

You will only get the full pressure when the flow is fully blocked by the blind incert or the coffee is ground too fine. The faster the flow the lower the pressure will be.

As the coffee beans age you have to grind them finer. The main test is how does it taste in the cup.

Barry.

i recently just got a naked portafilter for the dual boiler and it seems that i have to lock it in quite far to the right (past the 90 degree mark) otherwise i get some leaking at the point where the handle meets the basket. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeah happens to me too, and on the stock portafilter too. Not sure whether to log a fault with Breville about it or just overtighten. Apparently it's the group head collar insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Did you fix this? If not how much and how are you dosing?
    Unfortunately not. I have good days and bad days, but generally i get a 1 bar drop over the 25 - 30second extraction.

After pre infusion pressure will shoot up to 9.5 - 9.8bar which provides a nice thin steam. Over the next 15 seconds the pressure will drop and it will start "gushing" and blonding quite quickly.

I am dosing 19.5g. To give you an idea of volume, after tamping, there is a good 2mm gap between the top of the puck at the bottom of the included "razor" tool. To actually get enough volume in the basket so that it levels out at where the "razor" tool suggests, id need to be dosing another 2 grams. After the the shot the puck is dry and sometimes there is the faint imprint of the shower screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribfeast View Post
    Yeah happens to me too, and on the stock portafilter too. Not sure whether to log a fault with Breville about it or just overtighten. Apparently it's the group head collar insert.
    yeah i might just drop them an email about it cause i feel like i have to push it a lot to lock it in without the leaking

The annoying thing is you have to take it to one of their service centres and potentially be without the machine for weeks. Unless they can order the part and let you bring it in for the day when it arrives.

Does anyone know where I am able to get a Naked portafilter from? They are advertised on the Breville site but they dont have a store.

Does anyone know where I am able to get a Naked portafilter from? They are advertised on the Breville site but they dont have a store.
    hey mate mentioned several times in this thread already (there are a few options), try the 'search thread' tool at the top right and see how you go

Quote Originally Posted by reddevl View Post
    hey mate mentioned several times in this thread already (there are a few options), try the 'search thread' tool at the top right and see how you go
    Hi reddevl, I searched for "bottomless portafilter" and got a few results but none that could point me in the direction of a retail who actually sells it.
    Debs6 likes this.

Hi reddevl, I searched for "bottomless portafilter" and got a few results but none that could point me in the direction of a retail who actually sells it.
    hey mate try 'naked portafilter' (your original term!) brings up over 3 pages of results

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    They seem to be hard to come by, but sure someone has them for sale locally. I got mine from Seattle Coffee Gear in the States. they may offer Int'l postage even, but I have a virtual mailbox where stuff gets consolidated and couriered over

Yes very difficult to come by.

Thanks to reddevl and jooi312 for directing me to Need A Part in NZ who stock the Naked / Bottomless Portafilter for the 920 Dual Boiler for $115 NZD + $7 shipping to Aus. If no links are allowed then a quick Google search will return their store.
    Crema_Lad and level3ninja like this.

Call Breville, I bought one direct for around $79 + shipping over the phone.

I wondered why my tamper was all scratched up in the middle then realised I was using it to tap the side of the portafilter to settle the grind before tamping.

Will the tamper not being all shiney and smooth impact anything noticeably?

The bottom of the tamper will affect the surface of the puck. How much difference that makes is argued. Or do you mean the side of the tamper? As long as it isn't stopping you getting it in the basket I can't see that being a problem, however I don't know how long the tamper will last doing that as it's only plastic.

One question about the razar level tool thing...if you use it after tamping doesnt it create an unsealed surface of the coffee? Are you supposed to tamp again or does that defeat the purpose?

If the surface was sealed the water wouldn't get through. That being said the surface is definately roughed up. As to whether it makes a difference, try it for yourself. Use the razor and then tamp again lightly to fix the surface, and don't retamp, see if you can taste the difference.

I don't use it, tried it once when I first got the machine and didn't like it. It's supposed to ensure a consistent dose, but the height of the puck will vary with grind setting and tamp pressure, so it's only as consistent as your other techniques. I prefer to set the dose by weight and go from there.
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Yeah not sure about the razor but thought I would give it a go, it just confused me because I thought the tamped surface (I didn't mean sealed) was important, yet the razor disrupts that.

One question about the razar level tool thing...if you use it after tamping doesnt it create an unsealed surface of the coffee? Are you supposed to tamp again or does that defeat the purpose?
    The roughness left by the Razor shouldn't cause too much issues but if you prefer, a quick polish with your tamp (no need to add pressure) will do the trick.

Like level3ninja mentions, if it helps with your consistency use the Razor. I used it too initially but quickly moved to dosing by weight and haven't used it since.

The Razor is great at ensuring you have a consistent volume of coffee in the puck.

If you have a consistent volume of coffee in the puck, target a specific weight of extracted dose in 25 to 30 seconds, the only variable is the grind.

As an alternative, you can weigh the ground coffee in the puck.

It's only consistent in volume as far as taking up space is concerned. It won't be consistent by weight across grind settings.

Hey Stralto, looks like you already found one but for others who are looking.

Another place for naked portafilters is Pullman Tampers in Adelaide. They are more expensive than the NZ place it seems.

However, I get so annoyed that a regular portafilter which usually costs ~$40 is $140 for a naked one which is literally just a regular one with the base cut off.
    I've done many over the years by just finding someone who has a decent angle grinder. You can do it in 5 minutes and buy them a sixpack of beer for their trouble (or even a case would be cheaper).
    It seems daunting but anyone who owns a decent workshop in their garage can do it themselves. you just need to buff the edges once it's cut.
    Crema_Lad and stralto like this.

I find the razor tool does not sit low enough as i usually get quite an imprint from the dispersion screen on my puck.

I've found an 18 to 19 g dose (and obviously grind size to matches) provides a really nice flow of espresso on my machine. Using this dose, after tamping, there is about 2mm of gap between the top of the puck and the bottom of the razor tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryadan View Post
    Hey Stralto, looks like you already found one but for others who are looking.

Another place for naked portafilters is Pullman Tampers in Adelaide. They are more expensive than the NZ place it seems.

However, I get so annoyed that a regular portafilter which usually costs ~$40 is $140 for a naked one which is literally just a regular one with the base cut off.
    I've done many over the years by just finding someone who has a decent angle grinder. You can do it in 5 minutes and buy them a sixpack of beer for their trouble (or even a case would be cheaper).
    It seems daunting but anyone who owns a decent workshop in their garage can do it themselves. you just need to buff the edges once it's cut.
    Sadly like many things these days - you pay MORE for LESS. I do wonder if the higher price is due to the use of the naked puck as a 'diagnosis tool' and demand or there is actually a higher cost of manufacture. I think the case of beer is bargain though

I find the razor tool does not sit low enough as i usually get quite an imprint from the dispersion screen on my puck.

I've found an 18 to 19 g dose (and obviously grind size to matches) provides a really nice flow of espresso on my machine. Using this dose, after tamping, there is about 2mm of gap between the top of the puck and the bottom of the razor tool.
    I found the same thing. It seems the razor is designed like this, to be overdosing. Not sure why.

But I still have great results using it. It is consistent then.

It allows exactly same volume each time regardless of diff roasts and coffee which if you do same weight every time will be changes in dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Crema_Lad View Post
    Sadly like many things these days - you pay MORE for LESS. I do wonder if the higher price is due to the use of the naked puck as a 'diagnosis tool' and demand or there is actually a higher cost of manufacture. I think the case of beer is bargain though
    Why butcher a portafilter when you can buy a genuine bottomless portafilter direct from Breville for $79-89??

Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ribfeast View Post
    Why butcher a portafilter when you can buy a genuine bottomless portafilter direct from Breville for $79-89??
    Ha if it was me attempting it, it would certainly be butchered But I have no issue for anyone handy enough that can make a good job at it.

I bought mine but it does seem ironic to be paying more $$ for less PF

Maybe a very stupid question...but when people talk about 30 second extraction is that from when the timer starts or from when the coffee actually starts pouring out of the spout. i.e. is the pre-fusion bit counted?

It is generally counted from when you press the button and includes pre infusion.

Cheers

There isn't a 'right' answer. I work to 25 to 30 seconds from the first drop occurring. The real issue is how it tastes.

Maybe a very stupid question...but when people talk about 30 second extraction is that from when the timer starts or from when the coffee actually starts pouring out of the spout. i.e. is the pre-fusion bit counted?
    Not stupid. Typically the mantra is (not including pre infusion) "25 - 35 seconds" from when you press the button. The debate I often see is whether this includes or does not include pre-infusion. In my opinion is should include pre-infusion, but not completely because the water is travelling slower through the puck. What this equates to in seconds i dont know.

I stopped pulling shots based on time and currently stop as soon as i see blonding (mostly due to channeling i can't seem to fix). Once i fix my channeling i'll probably start pulling shots to a specific brew weight ratio as opposed to time

I used one of those ebay coffee distributors, fixed my channelling nicely Typically level it out with a toothpick to make sure the edges have a decent amount of coffee present first, otherwise the density is lower at the sides as the grinder deposits the coffee in a big mounded cone.
    My issue is I can't slow down the flow enough with the VST baskets on grinder setting 4, and the lower settings like 3 etc make the grinder sound like it is struggling. Gone back to stock basket for now.

Not stupid.
    +1

I've just run some Five Senses Crompton Rd coffee through and it came with a 'recipe card' giving a brew ratio of 1:2 with 22gm in/44gm out over 28 secs at 95c.

The 28 secs is on the 'fast side' of the 25-30 sec guideline so I too started wondering if it included pre infusion or not. I asked Five Senses and the said yes, but of course vary the result to taste. It tasted pretty good based on those settings and as I only had 250gm to work with I didn't tweak too much - next time I might grind a little finer and extract a few seconds longer and compare..

But as others have said and even when you're learning and working within timings/dosages/ratios it ultimately ends up on your taste buds being the deciding factor

In fact I had some 8-10 week old Malabar Monsoon beans left over (I forgot I had them doh!) and as I was out of fresh beans I used them up - had to grind a lot finer but went for a shot 22gm/44gm/30 sec and whilst it was a little 'flat' once made into a latte it was a super enjoyable drink...at least on my tastebuds!

Hi guys,

I'm having a couple of issues with our BES920 and am wondering if anyone has the same issue and if there's an easy fix rather than sending it away?

Issue 1:
    Water leaking out of the front left of machine.

This issue has progressively got worse over the past week or two. It only seems to show itself when the machine is first turned on. We can wipe it up after the initial machine warm up and then we don't see any more water. Each time I've opened the machine, everything looked bone dry inside - however yesterday I opened the top while the machine was starting up and found this:

So looks like the hose attachment / clamp is leaking. Before I go and mess with it - is this something easily fixed? Or am I better sending the machine away and making use of our extended warranty? From what I understand - it'll be a 2-3 week turnaround so if it's easy I'd prefer to do it myself

Issue 2:
    Pump not kicking in until 8-9 seconds:

I think I've read about this one on these forums before. Basically the pump doesn't kick in until the 8-9 second mark of a shot - but only after the machine has been idle for a while. Usually we just run a manual extraction for 15 seconds prior to using the machine, to which the next extraction seems to work as expected.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Assuming you're using speciality coffee roasted within the last month (preferably 3 weeks) then yes you should be using the single wall baskets. The dual wall baskets will make old or pre-ground coffee taste better, but fresh coffee taste worse.

It's hard to say exactly what settings because the numbers aren't calibrated to anything and will do different things on different grinders (except the time, but it doesn't produce the same weight per second). If you have a set of scales that reads in grams, use them to weigh 18-19g into the double basket (single wall). With the coffee you get out, and aim to get 36-38g in the cup (brew ratio of 1:2). Aim to get that weight out in 28-35sec (consistently, but somewhere in that range). Note that when you change the grind setting, you will need to adjust the time on the grinder, as the finer you grind the longer it takes per gram. Stick to 18-19g in the basket, but you can play with the weight out and the time to see what you think tastes best. I would advise only changing one variable at a time, and generally the heirarchy goes weight in > weight out > time. When you change one any down the line will need to be checked again.

Try starting at the same grind setting with 18-19g in the basket and see how you go. Don't stress too much about the numbers or what it looks like, taste rules all. Everything else is just a guide to get you close, your mouth must be the final guide.

P.S. is your smart grinder a BCG800 or BCG820?
    Thanks for the starting point level3ninja. I've bought the Breville bes 920 with the smart grinder and have been searching through this thread to try and find a starting point. Obviously taste rules all, but it's good to be in the ballpark when starting to experiment.

I have a few questions though;

1. The 18-19gm in and 36-38g out would be for a single espresso using the double basket is that correct? The reason I ask is that the 'coffee in' seems like enough to make two shots, but the volume/coffee out seems like only one shot. Which leads on to my next question;
    2. If I wanted to make two coffees with the double basket how much coffee would I be putting into the basket? Maths would say 36-38gm but I wouldn't imagine the basket would hold that much..
    3. Finally, do you recommend setting up the single and double buttons to be based on volume rather than time?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by petzkak View Post
    Thanks for the starting point level3ninja. I've bought the Breville bes 920 with the smart grinder and have been searching through this thread to try and find a starting point. Obviously taste rules all, but it's good to be in the ballpark when starting to experiment.

1. The 18-19gm in and 36-38g out would be for a single espresso using the double basket is that correct? The reason I ask is that the 'coffee in' seems like enough to make two shots, but the volume/coffee out seems like only one shot. Which leads on to my next question;
    2. If I wanted to make two coffees with the double basket how much coffee would I be putting into the basket? Maths would say 36-38gm but I wouldn't imagine the basket would hold that much..
    3. Finally, do you recommend setting up the single and double buttons to be based on volume rather than time?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi petzkak. When I recently started with your set up I was quite overwhelmed with all the various inputs that needed to be considered let alone learning the ins and outs of the equipment.

Id recommend forgetting weighing to begin with. Instead use the Razor dose tool to keep the volume consistent in the basket and focus on finding ideal range on your Smart Grinder (for me and my beans this was Burr manually adjusted to #3 and LCD showing 12 - 16).

Then perfect the grind size, dose and tamp by looking to get 60ml's (pull a shot or two into a measuring cup to get an idea) in 30-ish seconds

1. 18-19g is the capacity of the double basket and will make two shots. Don't under or over dose the basket too much, use the Razor tool. If you want to make a single shot, use the single basket.
    3. No, I would recommend using the manual button. Cut the shot when excessive blonding / spluttering begins, note the time, then learn/adjust the grind size for next time.

Regarding the volume function, the machine measures (i'm not sure how accurately either) the volume is ml's through the group head which does not equate to ml's in your cup. If the default is set to 60mls, then the actual output in your cup is always going to be less because there will be a portion of water retained in the basket. You could manually calibrate it to output more but then when the volume of grinds in your basket changes (dose amount or grind size) the amount of water retained will be more/less and so you'll never get a consistent ml's in your cup.

When you're comfortable achieving consistency with your shots move to weighing grind in / espresso out method
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Those measurements are for a double shot. If you were making 2x single shot coffees split the 36-38g out into two cups. It doesn't seem like a lot to me either, which is why I drink a double (borderline triple) shot of a morning. Mine is less than that though, I use a ratio of about 1:1.4 with 21.5g in and around 33g out from memory. (I don't use the Breville basket though, so stick to 18-19g.)

2. See above, 18-19g. The amount in the basket only changes when you change the basket, not with the drinks you are making. The single basket can be quite fiddly, however and require a different grind setting than the double basket. Most people here (myself included) never use it.

3. I prefer the volume setting. But as stralto pointed out, until you are comfortable cutting a shot off manually I would stick to the mental button. The point he described as spluttering (when the viscosity changes from like hot honey to water) is the point your want to cut off just before. Learning to tell when that is going to happen (with your beans, it will change from bean to bean) is a big step in the right direction. Once you are comfortable with that I would change to volume. I prefer volume to time because if I mess the shot up slightly and it runs a bit faster or slower it will cut the shot off a bit sooner or later, and the shot will be more drinkable than if it was stopped at a point in time. You'll still need to pay attention to the shot clock and make sure your pours are consistent in length, though, the time taken will tell you a bit about what is going on. Don't set it up for a measured volume, set it up based on consistently good manual shots that you repeat to program it.
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Great tips in above posts. I too like a stronger drink so a 'double shot' for me I’d make using 22gm in a 20gm basket. If making two coffees, then I’ll pull two 22gm shots!

I’m a bit confused with the Breville volumetric setting, as it still seems to rely on programming a button over time to pour the shot - whilst I’m weighing the shot and stop it based on reaching desired output (eg 44gm based on above) that doesn’t seem to me that the machine is setting anything based on flow rate.

Or should I not be pulling an actual coffee shot but measuring water output only for this setting?
    Last edited by Crema_Lad; 31st July 2017 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crema_Lad View Post
    Great tips in above posts. I too like a stronger drink so a 'double shot' for me I’d made using 22gm in a 20gm basket. If making two coffees, then I’ll pull two 22gm shots!

I’m a bit confused with the Breville volumetric setting, as it still seems to rely on programming a button over time to pour the shot - whilst I’m weighing the shot and stop it based on reaching desired output (eg 44gm based on above) that doesn’t seem to me that the machine is setting anything based on flow rate.

Or should I not be pulling an actual coffee shot but measuring water output only for this setting?
    Ideally you set the volumetric by programming whilst weighing to get the ratio as discussed before and you've done. The time is just displaying the time taken that's all. How I think it works (and I stand to be corrected) is it uses the resistance from the boiler level sensor to determine a volume of water used. I can't remember seeing any true flow sensors in there. Ok it's probably not that accurate but volumetric does help to absorb some of the variances you get at domestic machine level..
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes it's a double in the old way of thinking. If not a triple. But try to forget that terminology - times have changed. Your 36g of coffee is what you get from that sized basket. How you use that is up to you and your taste. (E.g in the morning that's all mine. In the afternoon I make two much weaker milk coffees out of the same 36g for me and the lady of the house.) You want less, use a smaller basket, more a bigger basket. But to your second question you're really not going to get much more than 22g off coffee in any basket - your at the end of the road. So yes you would brew twice.

Volume is the way to go but it can be a little inconsistent with the Brev. I'd stick to weight in/out with time a secondary consideration.

Then perfect the grind size, dose and tamp by looking to get 60ml's (pull a shot or two into a measuring cup to get an idea) in 30-ish seconds
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm a bit confused now... Most posts I've read seem to suggest you're looking at getting around 36-38g out in about 25-35 seconds. You're suggesting double that in the same amount of time. I know you say mls and not gms, but 60mls would be at least 60gms. Am I missing something?

Thank you all for your responses. I'm a bit confused now... Most posts I've read seem to suggest you're looking at getting around 36-38g out in about 25-35 seconds. You're suggesting double that in the same amount of time. I know you say mls and not gms, but 60mls would be at least 60gms. Am I missing something?
    Not really. There's just a few ways to skin a cat. Weight is more and more popular because you're working in the same terms and allows you to use ratio as a reference point. MLS is how we used to do it but is always variable because of the crema eg 60mls works out around 50 grams or so.

I like weight but what ever you chose use consistently to avoid chasing your tail.

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris; 2nd August 2017 at 04:46 PM.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast