Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36
Results 1,751 to 1,782 of 1782
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Yeah mls and grams are the same when it comes to water, but for other liquids it varies, coffee it's a different conversion (can't remember exactly what the formula was, but 60ml espresso is something like 45g or so...)

Hi all, I bought the Dynamic Duo for the office and at first couldn't get the grind right.
    Just FYI I had adjusted the burrs to the finest setting - yes the adjustable collar moved it right around and still not fine enough.

So I swapped the grinder out for a new one and worked perfectly. Was there manufacturing setting not right.

After that really can choke it if I want! It is really great machine. With some tasty Timor L'Este single origin.

So what is everyone usually dosing in their stock Breville basket? And how many grinds are you getting at the bottom of your cup?

I'm dosing 17.5 to 18.5g.

21g and none. 18g is a pretty low dose in the stock basket.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Mostly 22gm in a 20gm basket, although last round of beans had quite a punch so went down to a 20gm dose, ground finer to produce a 1:2 ratio over 30 secs.

Thanks @Chris for the tips earlier, Im still working with the 1:2 ratio and its doing a lot for consolidating my understanding, routine and especially taste!

Edit: Oops, Im no longer using the stock basket..although was it a 20gm basket anyways?
    stralto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    21g and none. 18g is a pretty low dose in the stock basket.
    21g!? When I dose that much the puck pushes fairly into the dispersion screen.

Quote Originally Posted by stralto View Post
    might be bean density differences at play here with darker roasts having less moisture and density or bean types
    simonsk8r likes this.

Before you extract?

Yeah depends on the roast level... if I roast a bean fairly dark it's hard to fit 20.5g in, but on the lighter side I can get 22-23g (in my basket that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    This week I bought a BES920 to replace my BES900. I got my old BES900 in August 2011 from Dennis Wells of Cuppacoffee. Dennis was a Site Sponsor at the time. He sold the first Breville Dual Boilers in Sydney. My machine was one of the first batch sold here.

It looks like Breville are clearing out the remaining BES920 stock before releasing a new model.

I was able to buy one at Bing Lee this week for $799 which is almost half price.

The only time my 900 went to a mechanic was to replace a failed O ring under warranty. That was a common fault in the early machines.

My 920 can still make good coffee, however it is slow to build up pressure as it possibility needs descaling or new O rings or worse.

What other dual boiler, dual PID machine can I buy new for $799. These clearance priced machines will not last for long.

Why do so many people tell us here about problems with BDBs? Breville must have sold many more machines in Australia than any Italian dual boiler machines as BDBs are sold in all large shopping centres that I visit. Also many problems are not due to the machines but caused by the user.

I hope that by now all the bugs have been removed from the 920. Of the 10 new cars I have bought in 50 years, 2 were new models that became lemons and the repairs to keep on the road kept me poor.

Barry.
    I did exactly what you've done, just today. I have been thinking about upgrading for a while - my BE900 needs a new seal and as I am not mechanically minded, I would have to pay to get it replaced, so decided to upgrade.
    I actually missed out on a great sale (noticed it a few days too late) Breville BES920BSS The Dual Boiler Espresso Machine $679.15 @ The Good Guys eBay but found the last one in stock at the Good Guys (they tell me that Breville now only want to sell them with the grinder) for $799. I actually paid for the extended warranty, because if there is one thing I've learned from owing the BE900, is that you NEED the extended warranty. Sure, you can argue your case and mostly win (especially if you threaten them with the ACCC) but it is just too stressful to have to argue your case all the time.
    I had the original model (with the flying off portafilter problem) had lots of its parts (including the pump) replaced under warranty. Breville does have an annoying habit of replacing large parts as a package, instead of just the actual small one that needs replacing, so that all repairs become expensive, if not under warranty.
    As an example, they replaced the entire group head. Having purchased a naked portafilter from them - after they replaced the group head, my naked portafilter no longer fitted. I had to fight them to get a replacement.
    I haven't set up the new machine yet, have great hopes!
    Now I will attempt to sell my old one.

I feel a bit silly to ask this question, but I am having a brain fog... Just tested my water for hardness, but don't understand the results. I was expecting some of the squares to turn red, but they are all green, just different shades of green. (I would even argue whether it is green - I'd say more a greyish aqua ) Is that what's supposed to happen?
    Attaching a photo, but a bit hard to see on the photo (in fact, a bit hard to see, period) but it looks as though the top two squares are a bit darker
    2017-08-16 17.26.27.jpg
    Does this mean that it is 4?

None are red, so it's a zero. Mine did the same, and I looked up the expected rating on my water supplier's website and it matched.
    csutak40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csutak40 View Post
    I feel a bit silly to ask this question, but I am having a brain fog... Just tested my water for hardness, but don't understand the results. I was expecting some of the squares to turn red, but they are all green, just different shades of green. (I would even argue whether it is green - I'd say more a greyish aqua ) Is that what's supposed to happen?
    Attaching a photo, but a bit hard to see on the photo (in fact, a bit hard to see, period) but it looks as though the top two squares are a bit darker
    2017-08-16 17.26.27.jpg
    Does this mean that it is 4?
    I am in Elsternwick and mine it's a zero as well. I just did the test recently after buying a filter from Bombora. Must be Melbourne's water!
    csutak40 likes this.

"Analysis of water hardness in major Australian cities by the Australian Water Association shows a range from very soft (Melbourne) to hard (Adelaide). Total Hardness levels of calcium carbonate in ppm are: Canberra: 40;[26]Melbourne: 10–26;[27]Sydney: 39.4–60.1;[28]Perth: 29–226;[29]Brisbane: 100;[30]Adelaide: 134–148;[31]Hobart: 5.8–34.4;[32]Darwin: 31.[33]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water
    slipslopslap likes this.

I posted this last night and somehow managed to post it in the wrong Forum. So, here it goes again. Couldn't figure out how to move it here
    There have been a couple of replies, so I am putting their URL in "trackback" Not sure if that is the correct thing to do
    I just started using my new machine. I have a naked portafilter and a VST basket (thankfully fits from the 900). As an experiment, after filling and tamping (which is usually about 27-28gr) I decided to try the new gadget supplied "the Razor", which seems to shave about 3gr off it. I coffee I get is OK, so maybe I have been overdosing it However (even though I still get a screw mark) the top of the puck comes out a bit wet. What would cause that?

What size vst basket are you using?
    have you done a 5 cent test to see how your dosing is for your machine? Machines have different shower screen heights so there isn't one amount of ground coffee that works for all plus grind fineness effect height / thickness of tamped puck too. Ie 20g of tamped course grounds may be thicker then 20g of finer ground in same baskets

Hey you good folk out there. I am sure this has been covered a dozen times already, but I can't be arsed trawling through pages and pages... my 920 has developed a bit of a prostate problem... during the warm up phase, water drips from the steam wand and does so until the boiler is fully warmed up. It's not an earth shattering issue, but as the machine is coming up to its one year birthday, perhaps it's a good opportunity to get the machine in for a grease and oil change.

Is this a common occurrence? Are o-rings my issue? Am I best to fix the problem myself?

Appreciate your response in anticipation!

Has anyone heard anything on a new model coming out?

Everytime these go on sale I get told that it's because a new model is due, but this has been the case since Jan and there has been no new model released.

Just joined the BES920 club. Upgraded from Sunbeam EM6910 and noticed the difference straight away, a lot quieter, more controlled and even extraction. Still got the sunbeam grinder so will see even better results when upgraded to a new grinder. I wish Fathers day came more than once a year.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodies View Post
    Just joined the BES920 club. Upgraded from Sunbeam EM6910 and noticed the difference straight away, a lot quieter, more controlled and even extraction. Still got the sunbeam grinder so will see even better results when upgraded to a new grinder. I wish Fathers day came more than once a year.
    Oh dear! another one goes to the dark side!
    Enjoy! (:

Can you check how many shots the BES920 has done like on the BES900. Have my eye on a second-hand machine, but want to make sure the seller isn't lying on the usage.

Hi there. Has anyone had to replace the inner shower screen for their 920? I have ordered both replacement inner and outer shower screens from Breville and the design has changed! They are refusing to send me any more parts and want me to take the machine to the nearest service centre which is 1500km away. I dont want to buy a new machine for what should be a simple replacement of the inner screen - if I could get my hands on one that actually fitted... Cheers Lucy
    Last edited by LucyS; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martindagun View Post
    Can you check how many shots the BES920 has done like on the BES900. Have my eye on a second-hand machine, but want to make sure the seller isn't lying on the usage.
    No you can't unfortunately

Hi 920 users.

I have a BES900 and was wondering if you have found the 920 baskets and the dosing tool to be of benefit?

I am considering ordering them from Breville or an appliance repair store, so if they are of benefit in daily use, could someone please let me know the part#s that I need to order?

Quote Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
    Hi 920 users.

I have a BES900 and was wondering if you have found the 920 baskets and the dosing tool to be of benefit?

I am considering ordering them from Breville or an appliance repair store, so if they are of benefit in daily use, could someone please let me know the part#s that I need to order?
    I have a naked portafilter and a VST basket I bought for the BES900. Was worried that it wouldn't fit, but it does

Quote Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
    Hi 920 users.

I have no idea about the difference between baskets of the 900 and 920. The 920 ones are ok, if the 900 are rubbish they me be with a go, but I don't think they changed much from memory, not sure. If by the during tool you mean the Razor (TM) thing then as designed I find it useless. I do however user it upsidedown most days to scrape the heaped grinds around in the basket without compressing them.

In all honesty if you're using the smart grinder neither of those things is going to do heaps to fix anything.

Thanks for the feedback ninja, I'm using a Compak k6 silenzio.

I'm finding the bes900 double basket to be fine, just looking at whether that razor was any use to help with consistency.

I use the tamper that came with the machine and aim for a similar amount of the silver portion showing above the rim of the basket.

I don't like the way the razor is designed to give consistency, by removing tamped coffee. Some people have had success using it with a second light tamp afterwards. I think you're better to dose by weight than volume as the grind setting will change the volume pretty gram. If you did want to side by volume you could scrape the top of the basket level before tamping, that would give the same level of consistency but perhaps not the same level of dose. If you can afford a Brewista Scale 2 or an Acaia Lunar or another sake that does 0.1g accurately that should help.

If the grind is clumpy, I found that the clumps of the grind with my smart grinder seemed to affect the dose significantly giving wildly different weights for the same time of grind. I would try weighing to see if that helped b

Quote Originally Posted by csutak40 View Post
    I posted this last night and somehow managed to post it in the wrong Forum. So, here it goes again. Couldn't figure out how to move it here
    There have been a couple of replies, so I am putting their URL in "trackback" Not sure if that is the correct thing to do
    I just started using my new machine. I have a naked portafilter and a VST basket (thankfully fits from the 900). As an experiment, after filling and tamping (which is usually about 27-28gr) I decided to try the new gadget supplied "the Razor", which seems to shave about 3gr off it. I coffee I get is OK, so maybe I have been overdosing it However (even though I still get a screw mark) the top of the puck comes out a bit wet. What would cause that?
    Hi csutak

There is no VST basket that has been designed for 27-28g dose. Using such a dose implies that the grind is significantly coarser which would translate into under extraction and lower TDS. What size of basket do you use?

And for the Razor tool, I totally agree with level3ninja. I experimented with the tool on the first couple of days of using the machine and haven't used it since. There is absolutely no need for it if you're using a scale and especially if you're using a non-Breville basket.

me again re my dual boiler.
    Recently I noticed that the microfoam after a few mins turns into big bubbles and then they pop and foam completely disappears.
    Seems very weird as didn't do that before, my technique hasn't changed. Still have no issues on my rocket at home, so seems odd.

Breville said might need a descale. So did that and brew tastes much better now so definitely needed that. I also soaked the steam wand for a few hours in vinegar. Looks nice now.
    still microfoam dissolves .

Anyone know why this happens or have it happen before? Making coffees at work and my novice attempts at art becomes strange big bubbles and then just brown water!

Alas, microfoam and love decay and eventually dissolve. That's life.

What milk? Sometimes you can get a run of crappy milk that won't hold its structure.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36