Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Results 1,801 to 1,819 of 1819
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

So I did a Descale on the weekend, and now no steam. I should have googled first as it appears this is a known fault. Itís 2.5 Yearís old. I dropped it it into the seven hills service centre for an inspection that Breville will cover. Letís see what happens next...

nac
    Hi,
    I am after the one piece plastic group collar insert. Any ideas on where I can get one please?

Hey guys im just wondering? what have people used to clean the machine when you have run out or don't want to use the recommended cleaning tablets? any other suggestions?

You can't just buy the insert, comes as part of the group head assembly with shower screen, seal etc. try noidle22.

Cheers

Is this a known problem? i was going to descale it this week what are other options? Did steam not come through as you did descale process wrong?

To clean just get some caffetto or similar powder. Only need a pinch for backflushing.

If you backflush with water after each session the chemical backflush will not be needed as often.

Cheers

Just ran into my first problem.

Turning the machine off the group head still heats so when you turn the machine on the reading is 101-106 and wonít drop. Only way is turning the machine off at the wall then turning on as when it hits 93 the lights stop flashing and you can make a shot.

Has anyone encountered this before. Machine is just under 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by NmBeasy View Post
    Hey guys im just wondering? what have people used to clean the machine when you have run out or don't want to use the recommended cleaning tablets? any other suggestions?
    I use cafetto espresso cleaner powder. I backflush with water after every coffee making session and run the cleaning cycle with the powder once a week.

HEEELLPP :|

I think a screw that holds in some part of where you lock the group handle in has twisted - it was in the spent coffee after I made my morning brew, along with 2 pieces that it was holding in

Here's some pics of the piece:
    https://imgur.com/a/XeIes

screw head.jpgpieces.jpgunderneath.jpg

That's peculiar. It's the shower screen screw. If you have a small pair of multi grips or vice grips you should be able to carefully remove the shaft of the screw. You'll need a replacement, once you have the shaft out you should be able to take it to a hardware store and get a replacement in 304 or 316 stainless steel. Looks like your group head gasket will need replacing in a couple of months, you may want to do it at the same time.

As to how that happened, have you ever removed that screw before? If not it makes me think you are packing way too much coffee into the basket and have been forcing it against the shower screen, which has been turning the screen and putting pressure on the screw head. Maybe it was just a small fault in the screw that weakened over time. How full do you make the basket?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    That's peculiar. It's the shower screen screw. If you have a small pair of multi grips or vice grips you should be able to carefully remove the shaft of the screw. You'll need a replacement, once you have the shaft out you should be able to take it to a hardware store and get a replacement in 304 or 316 stainless steel. Looks like your group head gasket will need replacing in a couple of months, you may want to do it at the same time.

As to how that happened, have you ever removed that screw before? If not it makes me think you are packing way too much coffee into the basket and have been forcing it against the shower screen, which has been turning the screen and putting pressure on the screw head. Maybe it was just a small fault in the screw that weakened over time. How full do you make the basket?
    Thanks for the reply!

I did find a parts document with an exploded view that gave me the part - but as you say much easier to just go find the screw locally.

Yes I do pack quite a lot in. I probably need to work on my formula but it was the combo I just fell on for super-market beans: with Grinders brand I do 17.4 seconds for 2 cup on the grinder @ 10, stopping half way to give it a few taps then continue. Then I tamp it down really hard, then do a standard 30 s brew @ 94C i think. I really haven't experimented enough I guess but that was what I came to to get enough pressure - all other combos I tried kept ending up with only 7 or lower pressure and watery brew

Beans need to be within a few weeks of their roast date to be fresh enough to not require massive updosing to get a decent pressure required. People are about the exact number, and it will vary between different beans, but it will almost never be longer than 6 weeks. Supermarket beans will almost always be older than this before you get them due to supply chain logistics etc. Aldi is the one noticable exception, if the particular store has enough turn over to keep their shelf stock fresh. Or buy from Bean Bay on this very website.

If you have some digital scales try dosing the stock double basket to 18-19g and adjusting the grind finer to control the speed of the shot. Updosing enough to hit the skirt screen will do damage to the machine long term. The screw is relatively minor compared to the group head collar breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by NmBeasy View Post
    Is this a known problem? i was going to descale it this week what are other options? Did steam not come through as you did descale process wrong?
    Yes it seems to be known issue. Iíd hold off descaling until you check your serial number and with Breville (or google). I donít think I really needed to descale but I did as I was getting the reminders. Itís probably a good preventive action anyhow.

The good news is that I got my machine back after only a few days all fixed up with no charge. They also changed the buzzing solenoid (or whatever it is). So, kudos to the service ppl and Breville for looking after me.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    Just ran into my first problem.

Turning the machine off the group head still heats so when you turn the machine on the reading is 101-106 and won’t drop. Only way is turning the machine off at the wall then turning on as when it hits 93 the lights stop flashing and you can make a shot.

Has anyone encountered this before. Machine is just under 2 years old.
    You could have a blown O ring on one of the various feeds in to the group head or boiler. Its drawing air in so what you are seeing is the temp of air not water. If you're reasonably technically minded remove the lid ( two screws at the back, top corners, one each side of the group head, deep set). You can't remove it all the way but lift it to the side and turn the machine on. You'll see moisture or steam coming from the guilty O ring/s. Depending which one they are not too hard to replace yourself.

Remember when its open no fingers or tools inside - it hot and electrified. A cautious peer in is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You could have a blown O ring on one of the various feeds in to the group head or boiler. Its drawing air in so what you are seeing is the temp of air not water. If you're reasonably technically minded remove the lid ( two screws at the back, top corners, one each side of the group head, deep set). You can't remove it all the way but lift it to the side and turn the machine on. You'll see moisture or steam coming from the guilty O ring/s. Depending which one they are not too hard to replace yourself.

Remember when its open no fingers or tools inside - it hot and electrified. A cautious peer in is all you need.
    If your unit is less than 2 years old book it in for a guarantee repair while you still can. While it's there encourage the technician to look for anything that might fail soon. These machines are expensive to fix once out of g'tee. Mine is at espresso fix now. Only three and a bit years old. "Not worth fixing" according to the tech there. Breville' customer service response is to offer to sell me a new one for $1100 (without the grinder) I reckon I could do better at Harvey Norman!

I have an issue with my DB where there will be steam after the machine has been turned on and just gotten up to temperature, but after a while there's no steam. It's as if the thermostat / pressurestat in the steam boiler turns the steam boiler off off after it's heated up. The brew boiler still keeps it's heat though.

Does anyone have similar problems? Am thinking it might be related to scale in the steam boiler. I have tried running the descale program but it keeps giving the 'valve' error on the initial empty boilers step.

Probably drunk on coffee bodyboardingbum's Avatar
    Bit the bullet and joined the BES920 club yesterday. Coming from a Bezzera HX, I was VERY sceptical but so far so good. The old Bezzera gave up the ghost almost a year ago and I've been using Aeropress/V60/Cold-Drip since. Unable to justify $2k+ for a replacement HX (have built/bought a house since), I dived in head first.

Was a good feeling pulling my box of gear from the garage, dusting off my Macap MXA (and swapping burrs at the same time), and setting everything up again. Excited to play over the next week or so!

I also have just jumped on board the double boiler bandwagon the other day. Also from a bezzera heat exchange machine. My wife wasnt able use the old girl was too many variables to get a good shot. No regrets so far for my change over. Got a 5 yr warranty just for peace of mind also. Love the temp control and ease of milk steaming. Happy days!!

$639 C&C via Bing lee ebay with code POWERON

Good price if you haven't already got one.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37