Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 1924
Like Tree355Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

So I did a Descale on the weekend, and now no steam. I should have googled first as it appears this is a known fault. Itís 2.5 Yearís old. I dropped it it into the seven hills service centre for an inspection that Breville will cover. Letís see what happens next...

nac
    Hi,
    I am after the one piece plastic group collar insert. Any ideas on where I can get one please?

Hey guys im just wondering? what have people used to clean the machine when you have run out or don't want to use the recommended cleaning tablets? any other suggestions?

You can't just buy the insert, comes as part of the group head assembly with shower screen, seal etc. try noidle22.

Cheers

Is this a known problem? i was going to descale it this week what are other options? Did steam not come through as you did descale process wrong?

To clean just get some caffetto or similar powder. Only need a pinch for backflushing.

If you backflush with water after each session the chemical backflush will not be needed as often.

Cheers

Just ran into my first problem.

Turning the machine off the group head still heats so when you turn the machine on the reading is 101-106 and wonít drop. Only way is turning the machine off at the wall then turning on as when it hits 93 the lights stop flashing and you can make a shot.

Has anyone encountered this before. Machine is just under 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by NmBeasy View Post
    Hey guys im just wondering? what have people used to clean the machine when you have run out or don't want to use the recommended cleaning tablets? any other suggestions?
    I use cafetto espresso cleaner powder. I backflush with water after every coffee making session and run the cleaning cycle with the powder once a week.

HEEELLPP :|

I think a screw that holds in some part of where you lock the group handle in has twisted - it was in the spent coffee after I made my morning brew, along with 2 pieces that it was holding in

Here's some pics of the piece:
    https://imgur.com/a/XeIes

screw head.jpgpieces.jpgunderneath.jpg

That's peculiar. It's the shower screen screw. If you have a small pair of multi grips or vice grips you should be able to carefully remove the shaft of the screw. You'll need a replacement, once you have the shaft out you should be able to take it to a hardware store and get a replacement in 304 or 316 stainless steel. Looks like your group head gasket will need replacing in a couple of months, you may want to do it at the same time.

As to how that happened, have you ever removed that screw before? If not it makes me think you are packing way too much coffee into the basket and have been forcing it against the shower screen, which has been turning the screen and putting pressure on the screw head. Maybe it was just a small fault in the screw that weakened over time. How full do you make the basket?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    That's peculiar. It's the shower screen screw. If you have a small pair of multi grips or vice grips you should be able to carefully remove the shaft of the screw. You'll need a replacement, once you have the shaft out you should be able to take it to a hardware store and get a replacement in 304 or 316 stainless steel. Looks like your group head gasket will need replacing in a couple of months, you may want to do it at the same time.

As to how that happened, have you ever removed that screw before? If not it makes me think you are packing way too much coffee into the basket and have been forcing it against the shower screen, which has been turning the screen and putting pressure on the screw head. Maybe it was just a small fault in the screw that weakened over time. How full do you make the basket?
    Thanks for the reply!

I did find a parts document with an exploded view that gave me the part - but as you say much easier to just go find the screw locally.

Yes I do pack quite a lot in. I probably need to work on my formula but it was the combo I just fell on for super-market beans: with Grinders brand I do 17.4 seconds for 2 cup on the grinder @ 10, stopping half way to give it a few taps then continue. Then I tamp it down really hard, then do a standard 30 s brew @ 94C i think. I really haven't experimented enough I guess but that was what I came to to get enough pressure - all other combos I tried kept ending up with only 7 or lower pressure and watery brew

Beans need to be within a few weeks of their roast date to be fresh enough to not require massive updosing to get a decent pressure required. People are about the exact number, and it will vary between different beans, but it will almost never be longer than 6 weeks. Supermarket beans will almost always be older than this before you get them due to supply chain logistics etc. Aldi is the one noticable exception, if the particular store has enough turn over to keep their shelf stock fresh. Or buy from Bean Bay on this very website.

If you have some digital scales try dosing the stock double basket to 18-19g and adjusting the grind finer to control the speed of the shot. Updosing enough to hit the skirt screen will do damage to the machine long term. The screw is relatively minor compared to the group head collar breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by NmBeasy View Post
    Is this a known problem? i was going to descale it this week what are other options? Did steam not come through as you did descale process wrong?
    Yes it seems to be known issue. Iíd hold off descaling until you check your serial number and with Breville (or google). I donít think I really needed to descale but I did as I was getting the reminders. Itís probably a good preventive action anyhow.

The good news is that I got my machine back after only a few days all fixed up with no charge. They also changed the buzzing solenoid (or whatever it is). So, kudos to the service ppl and Breville for looking after me.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    Just ran into my first problem.

Turning the machine off the group head still heats so when you turn the machine on the reading is 101-106 and won’t drop. Only way is turning the machine off at the wall then turning on as when it hits 93 the lights stop flashing and you can make a shot.

Has anyone encountered this before. Machine is just under 2 years old.
    You could have a blown O ring on one of the various feeds in to the group head or boiler. Its drawing air in so what you are seeing is the temp of air not water. If you're reasonably technically minded remove the lid ( two screws at the back, top corners, one each side of the group head, deep set). You can't remove it all the way but lift it to the side and turn the machine on. You'll see moisture or steam coming from the guilty O ring/s. Depending which one they are not too hard to replace yourself.

Remember when its open no fingers or tools inside - it hot and electrified. A cautious peer in is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You could have a blown O ring on one of the various feeds in to the group head or boiler. Its drawing air in so what you are seeing is the temp of air not water. If you're reasonably technically minded remove the lid ( two screws at the back, top corners, one each side of the group head, deep set). You can't remove it all the way but lift it to the side and turn the machine on. You'll see moisture or steam coming from the guilty O ring/s. Depending which one they are not too hard to replace yourself.

Remember when its open no fingers or tools inside - it hot and electrified. A cautious peer in is all you need.
    If your unit is less than 2 years old book it in for a guarantee repair while you still can. While it's there encourage the technician to look for anything that might fail soon. These machines are expensive to fix once out of g'tee. Mine is at espresso fix now. Only three and a bit years old. "Not worth fixing" according to the tech there. Breville' customer service response is to offer to sell me a new one for $1100 (without the grinder) I reckon I could do better at Harvey Norman!

I have an issue with my DB where there will be steam after the machine has been turned on and just gotten up to temperature, but after a while there's no steam. It's as if the thermostat / pressurestat in the steam boiler turns the steam boiler off off after it's heated up. The brew boiler still keeps it's heat though.

Does anyone have similar problems? Am thinking it might be related to scale in the steam boiler. I have tried running the descale program but it keeps giving the 'valve' error on the initial empty boilers step.

Probably drunk on coffee bodyboardingbum's Avatar
    Bit the bullet and joined the BES920 club yesterday. Coming from a Bezzera HX, I was VERY sceptical but so far so good. The old Bezzera gave up the ghost almost a year ago and I've been using Aeropress/V60/Cold-Drip since. Unable to justify $2k+ for a replacement HX (have built/bought a house since), I dived in head first.

Was a good feeling pulling my box of gear from the garage, dusting off my Macap MXA (and swapping burrs at the same time), and setting everything up again. Excited to play over the next week or so!

I also have just jumped on board the double boiler bandwagon the other day. Also from a bezzera heat exchange machine. My wife wasnt able use the old girl was too many variables to get a good shot. No regrets so far for my change over. Got a 5 yr warranty just for peace of mind also. Love the temp control and ease of milk steaming. Happy days!!

$639 C&C via Bing lee ebay with code POWERON

Good price if you haven't already got one.

The bing lee 20% off sold out on day #1 (Friday). I don’t think it’ll let you checkout. Bargain if you can though!

If you missed out on that deal, HN have them for $799. Not as good but still an ok deal if you need 1.

Good guys also 799. Option for 5 yr warranty as well for 140 bucks. Worth it i reckon

Yeah HN have that as well, 6 years total for $148. So after the 2 yr Breville warranty you get 4 years replacement warranty. So they don't repair if broken down, just go back to HN and they give you a brand new machine. I can assure you, you will be getting another machine before the 4 years is up.
    Chrisj1984 likes this.

It is a great deal. Something must be happening. Excess stock. New model out soon. Discontinuing it?

I'm not sure but I paid $650 over a year ago at HN.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    It is a great deal. Something must be happening. Excess stock. New model out soon. Discontinuing it?
    There has been rumours of a new model since early this year.

There could be something happening though as they released the new version of the Oracle (Oracle Touch) and Barista Express (Barista Touch)

Hi guys. New to the forum.
    So I just purchased my first descent coffee machine. Got the $799 deal and with the Breville Smart grinder.

Pretty new to it all. Had a bag of extremely old beans and had a little play around with it.
    First couple of pours only got to 2-3 bars of pressure. But got the last 2 between 7-9. Iím not to sure what I did different to be honest haha. But as I said Iím new to it all.
    Was pretty tired of paying for average coffee, so splashed out and got an early Christmas present .

Any hints and tips for this beginner on this great machine and grinder?

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Frooty View Post
    Any hints and tips for this beginner on this great machine and grinder?
    Fresh beans will make your results much better, but (arguably more) importantly repeatability is key. Weigh the bean input (once ground), and measure the output of extraction (by weight). Change a single variable at a time, and record results. Use the double basket (unpressurised), and no need to adjust the shot timing at this stage in my opinion (Just use the double button for consistency).

Adjust/change one variable (grind size, weight in, tamp pressure, etc) and try again. Record results, taste, and repeat until you get something you’re happy with ��
    level3ninja likes this.

Thanks for all that.
    ive been practicing and playing around with it. Now I can’t for the life of me get this thing to get over 4-5 bars of pressure.
    no matter what I do, how much coffee. Or grind. It could be that I’m a total newb, but I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong at all. Even after watching some videos.

thanks

Make sure your coffee is fresh: less than three week since roasting, but no less than one week.

Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    Make sure your coffee is fresh: less than three week since roasting, but no less than one week.
    Great, thanks for the help
    Because they are old beans, i changed to the double wall filter and it went great.
    I guess fresh roasted beans, use single wall. Old, shop beans use double wall?
    I plan to use fresh roasted beans all the time, its just i didn't want to wreck and waste a heap of beans while getting used to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frooty View Post
    I plan to use fresh roasted beans all the time, its just i didn't want to wreck and waste a heap of beans while getting used to the machine.
    Not a waste at all, and considering the price of beans you're almost doing a disservice to yourself trying to learn with beans you know won't get a good result. Head to your local roaster (or beanbay), 500g won't be much more than ~$20./
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    Not a waste at all, and considering the price of beans you're almost doing a disservice to yourself trying to learn with beans you know won't get a good result. Head to your local roaster (or beanbay), 500g won't be much more than ~$20./
    Yep! bit like saying I'm only learning to drive so I'll run the car on kerosene until I know what I'm doing, obviously the results will be shite.
    bodyboardingbum likes this.

ms1
    So my machine is going onto 2 years only and has developed two issues over the last month. Curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix as sending for repair is a huge drama. The first that I worry about the most is that machine has started to make a loud crackly like sound when you press the button to brew (any of the brew buttons). It last during the pre infusion time and is quite disconcerting. It sounds electrical but I can't be certain, it certainly didn't exist at all until recently and there is no bad small to suggest an electrical fault but there have been times I have stood back taking it was going to go BANG! If I leave the machine on for a while it usually stops after the first or second cup.

The 2nd issue is the steam wand has also developed a drip. Its only when the machine is on and its got a constant hiss and water is going out at a drop rate. Its getting worse quick quickly.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone can offer.

My friends 920 had the same issues. Buzzing sound at the start of extraction. A new solenoid fixed it.

The drip from the steam wand would be fixed by replacing the steam valve.

The other thing he had a very small leak from one of the tubes from the steam boiler. And looking at the rust it has been happening for a while.

Best to replace all the o rings in the steam boiler tubes/probes while you have bit apart.

All very easy to do if you are a tinkerer.

Cheers
    ms1 likes this.

Ok, so after about 20 months with the dual boiler, I think I've encountered my first problem. When I go to pour my shot, just after the pre-infusion it is like the machine cuts out completely for 2 seconds, drops pressure and then it kicks in again. Only happens with beans and not the blind filter. I thought it might be channelling, but it happens no matter how I grind/tamp. Never had this happen before.

Also reading the last couple of pages about the buzzing solenoids, I'm not sure if mine has gotten a bit louder lately as well. Here is a video of the problem

https://youtu.be/AnBrWsTM9_I

Quote Originally Posted by ruslah View Post
    Ok, so after about 20 months with the dual boiler, I think I've encountered my first problem. When I go to pour my shot, just after the pre-infusion it is like the machine cuts out completely for 2 seconds, drops pressure and then it kicks in again. Only happens with beans and not the blind filter. I thought it might be channelling, but it happens no matter how I grind/tamp. Never had this happen before.

Also reading the last couple of pages about the buzzing solenoids, I'm not sure if mine has gotten a bit louder lately as well. Here is a video of the problem

https://youtu.be/AnBrWsTM9_I
    I've been seeing a similar issue with mine for a while now. On top of that, I've got a leaking stream wand. I originally purchased mine for Harvey Norman with 5 years of product care, so I'll be taking it back on Monday to get it reviewed and work out if it's a repair or replacement.
    I'll post feedback on here once I get a response.
    ruslah likes this.

Pretty sure that my wife got the good guys extended warranty on mine, so I reckon that I will also send it in. The father in law works at the good guys too, which is handy. He'll hopefully get it sorted.

Looks like I've just joined the club! Replacing the old clapped out EM6910.

For anyone interested, it's back down to $799 from good guys on ebay, and with a 10% voucher (ebay are giving them out for anything these days), it's only $720. Good buy me thinks!

The money saved went towards a Baratza 270W, which I think will be a good combo.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/350211

$640 at TGG ebay is back.

Oh Yeah, absolute bargain!

Hi, I'm sure it's been asked before but I did a search and no luck finding an answer. My machine has been asking me to descale so I finally did one. After completion everything works well and boiler are actually quieter than before. The only thing is that every time I switch it on, it keeps on telling me to descale it. How do I get rid of the descale alert and reset it? Thanks

After 5 on/off cycles of the machine, the message should go away. The only other way to clear it is through the service mode which is not readily accessible for end users.

looks like I'm stuck with it...been on / off more than 5 times

My volumetric on my replacement machine sometimes short changes me by half.

The main menu (from off is set to flo not seconds) and the Iíve programmed it from the menu when on to approx 40mls. Sometimes it only comes out as 20mls.

Donít want to have to swap it over again

Quote Originally Posted by clubbi4 View Post
    looks like I'm stuck with it...been on / off more than 5 times
    This happened to me once before. Turn off from wall and do a fake rescale (without the descaler) and flush 5 or so times and should go away.
    clubbi4 likes this.

Help help help!! For a machine that is so awesome, the descaling process on the BES920 is a pig and I have reached a dead end and hoping some kind soul could help!!!
    I am only doing its 2nd ever descale and I seem to remember the first one was fairly confusing too... so, I have not had the PUSH appear in my screen, but I did get the 20 minute countdown timer, so proceeded as per instructions.. The 20 minute time didn't use a lot of the descaling solution/water, but I discarded and emptied tray and have tried to get to the end with the 5 minute boiler fill part and again 'PUSH' does not appear, so no go wiht the countdown.. can anyone help at all, please?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    Help help help!! For a machine that is so awesome, the descaling process on the BES920 is a pig and I have reached a dead end and hoping some kind soul could help!!!
    I am only doing its 2nd ever descale and I seem to remember the first one was fairly confusing too... so, I have not had the PUSH appear in my screen, but I did get the 20 minute countdown timer, so proceeded as per instructions.. The 20 minute time didn't use a lot of the descaling solution/water, but I discarded and emptied tray and have tried to get to the end with the 5 minute boiler fill part and again 'PUSH' does not appear, so no go wiht the countdown.. can anyone help at all, please?????
    Have you emptied the boilers again and changed the water in the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by dan77 View Post
    Have you emptied the boilers again and changed the water in the tank?
    Yes, I think Iím going to do it all over again either help of a YouTube video. Thanks for the speedy reply.

I just did mine yesterday, I never got to anything saying push and the instructions didn't say there would be IIRC. It just keeps doing the 20 minute timer until you hit the power button.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast