Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 2163
Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

The solution only needs a small amount of water in the tank. Not completely full. Google the manual. Thatís what I do every time.

Hi my wife just bought me this coffee machine for Christmas. Where can I buy this cafetto powder? Cheers

I got mine from coffee parts. not sure if they are a sponsor though, so you will have to google for a link.

edit: looks like they are a sponsor... so here you go. https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/catal...ult/?q=cafetto

Don't they sell this powder say at Woolies?

Blog Entries

Most coffee places sell it. I would assume eBay also has it. Depending where you buy it shipping can be a killer

Hey, Has anyone purchased a distribution tool like the OCD and used it in the breville dual boiler portafilter and basket? Does it fit how it should?

Nathan

I got a pullman chisel. Used it in the Pullman basket.

Do you want me to check with the breville basket?

Quote Originally Posted by NmBeasy View Post
    Hey, Has anyone purchased a distribution tool like the OCD and used it in the breville dual boiler portafilter and basket? Does it fit how it should?

Nathan
    Sure does. Also have a VST basket. OCD works fine in both baskets on the 920.

Quote Originally Posted by dlight View Post
    Sure does. Also have a VST basket. OCD works fine in both baskets on the 920.

Oh rad, Thanks heaps

Do you find the VST baskets sit flush with the breville porta filter and sits on lock position when placed in group head?

No difference between the Breville basket and the 18g VST basket in terms of their fit in the portafilter.

So probably a rookie question, but what do you guys notice with the vst baskets?

I know they are supposed to be higher precision, but does this make them less likely to channel? Does it somehow magically increase flavour or reduce bitterness? Or do you just desire something sized mid way between the breville single and double?

Probably drunk on coffee bodyboardingbum's Avatar
    Those using Cafetto (or similar), do you still use the cleaning cycle option in the menu? Or just manually backflush with powder like a normal espresso machine? I still have a heap left over from my HX, and the two little tablets the machine includes won't last long at all!

I use the clean cycle with the caffetto
    salem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    I use the clean cycle with the caffetto
    Ditto.....

Probably drunk on coffee bodyboardingbum's Avatar
    Great, makes it easier. Thanks!

Hi all. A few days ago my filter basket started getting stuck on the group head when i pull the handle off. As I was using the double basket, I'd just put the handle back on and give it a wriggle and the seal would unstick and the basket would come out. Today I did a clean cycle with the single basket and the blanking plate, and now that single basket is stuck and I can't get it off even with a wiggle of the handle. I tried running the machine without the handle to try and push the basket off and just got water leaking up around the back of the seal. I had a bit of a push and lever with a teaspoon on the edge of the basket and bent my teaspoon. I tried again with a screwdriver (trying hard not to damage the seal) and it just didn't budge.

Is it because of the group handle spring getting loose? or the dry-puck thing I've read about sucking the filter back up too hard? I don't know how to stop it happening again, and I don't know how to get it off right now and I am dying for a coffee! any help would be appreciated.

edit: got a longer handled screwdriver and got the filter off. Took apart the shower screen, and the black plastic bit that holds the seal on is split. Maybe I'm overdosing? I did a weigh on my dose for the first time and it's 23-24g. The seal looks fine...? No splits or nicks. I don't know what a new one looks like.

Black retainer
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/aL7ytxGu0hHs6YQe2

Seal
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/NK6IEzyrQaMJzIdV2

Overdose?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/seC6WUT0xQ5qFAh92
    Last edited by salem; 2nd January 2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added details

Quote Originally Posted by salem View Post
    Hi all. A few days ago my filter basket started getting stuck on the group head when i pull the handle off. As I was using the double basket, I'd just put the handle back on and give it a wriggle and the seal would unstick and the basket would come out. Today I did a clean cycle with the single basket and the blanking plate, and now that single basket is stuck and I can't get it off even with a wiggle of the handle. I tried running the machine without the handle to try and push the basket off and just got water leaking up around the back of the seal. I had a bit of a push and lever with a teaspoon on the edge of the basket and bent my teaspoon. I tried again with a screwdriver (trying hard not to damage the seal) and it just didn't budge.

Is it because of the group handle spring getting loose? or the dry-puck thing I've read about sucking the filter back up too hard? I don't know how to stop it happening again, and I don't know how to get it off right now and I am dying for a coffee! any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like the basket is stuck to the seal.

Can you get a short piece of wooden dowel or similar on to the edge/side of the basket, if so give it a LIGHT tap with a hammer, even thumb pressure on the basket may loosen it.

Don't leave the portafilter in the group head after pulling a shot, this can cause the basket to stick to the seal as well.

I suspect its time for a new seal.
    salem likes this.

I never leave the handle on after a shot. I know that much! might have to look into a new seal as well as the disk bit thing that I added to my previous post.

Looks well over dosed to me Salem, imprint of screen and screw is obvious, not good, 23/24 grams is a lot of coffee,

Not familiar with Breville seals, how old is the machine, is the seal original? they do compress and harden over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Looks well over dosed to me Salem, imprint of screen and screw is obvious, not good, 23/24 grams is a lot of coffee,

Not familiar with Breville seals, how old is the machine, is the seal original? they do compress and harden over time.
    seal is original, around 2 years old now, maybe a bit more? I'll try 18 grams, but I am guessing I'm going to need to really fine up my grind. Might even use that fancy dose razor that came with the machine so I'm not sitting too high. This is going to be a well caffinated afternoon!

I could be wrong, but I found that the razor dose tool still left the coffee sitting a little high for my liking. It still left a fair showerscreen imprint post-shot. So I use it as an "absolute max", and the 5c test does seem to back me up.

But then again, I suspect the breville engineers know what they are doing, certainly more than me

well I didn't use the razor, but i did weigh up 18g. Boy did it feel weird sinking the tamp in that deep! No shower screen imprint, and a completely different taste to the coffee! I did have to dial the grinder right down, the coffee was almost coming out of it in cubes.

haha.

I find (using the standard breville tamp/basket) that I press down with my thumb and forefinger on the outer edge of the tamper until my fingers are actually pushing on the basket. I'd say that at this point the top edge of the basket is about in line with the corner where the vertical tamper wall ends.

It then makes it easy to rotate my hand and tamper 180 degrees and make sure that the contact that my finger makes with the basket is consistent, and therefore the puck is level the whole way around.

seal is original, around 2 years old now, maybe a bit more? I'll try 18 grams, but I am guessing I'm going to need to really fine up my grind. Might even use that fancy dose razor that came with the machine so I'm not sitting too high. This is going to be a well caffinated afternoon!
    At 2 years plus I suspect a new seal is well overdue.

How was the coffee at 18 gram dose, is the basket still sticking?

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    How was the coffee at 18 gram dose, is the basket still sticking?
    I don't know if it's the lower dose, or the fact I soaked the seal in some weak caffetto solution for 15 minutes, but it's not sticking anymore. Coffee is good at 18g getting down to the last few notches on the grinder though. But still some leeway before I need to open it and tighten the inside ring
    Yelta likes this.

18g? Wow... maybe I'm still over dosing. Is this in the standard double basket? I'm filling with 21g, not tamping very hard, and still under the razor height!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbosaurus View Post
    18g? Wow... maybe I'm still over dosing. Is this in the standard double basket? I'm filling with 21g, not tamping very hard, and still under the razor height!
    It's entirely possible I have no idea what I was doing. I was putting 23g in the double basket, and just either pouring 1 shot worth of liquid for myself, or two if making two cups (just changing the volume button on the machine from 1 to 2). Now I put 18g in the double basket and pulled 1 shot but I think it was closer to 40ml. Need to recalibrate everything for the lower dose! How much should go in for 1 shot Vs 2 shots? I found I was having to switch the grind time between 1 and 2 cups as well as the grind coarseness if I was switching between the single basket and double basket for 1 and 2 shots, which is why I just went to everything in the double basket with the same dose and grind

It's entirely possible I have no idea what I was doing. I was putting 23g in the double basket, and just either pouring 1 shot worth of liquid for myself, or two if making two cups (just changing the volume button on the machine from 1 to 2). Now I put 18g in the double basket and pulled 1 shot but I think it was closer to 40ml. Need to recalibrate everything for the lower dose! How much should go in for 1 shot Vs 2 shots? I found I was having to switch the grind time between 1 and 2 cups as well as the grind coarseness if I was switching between the single basket and double basket for 1 and 2 shots, which is why I just went to everything in the double basket with the same dose and grind
    Bear in mind the old adage salem, only change one variable at a time, aaaaand, keep notes.

Question Pressure cannot reach 7+

Happy new year everyone! I bought bes920 +bcg820 as my Christmas gift. However I have no idea how to make a coffee. I followed instructions setting up the machine, but the pressure never goes up to 7+. I tried different settings on grinder and different filters, not help unfortunately. I tried to troubleshoot with a empty dual wall filter, the pressure could only reach 7. According to the manufactury instruction, the machine should be fine if the pressure can go up to 5+, But I did see somewhere that other people could make 10+ with a empty filter.

I have no clue where I am wrong. I wish it is my fault in operation not the machine. Many thanks if someone can help me out.

Have you used freshly roasted coffee beans.

Key point here is they have a roast date less than 4 weeks old.

If they have a best before date then they are too old.
    WarrenK likes this.

I need some help or advice on Descaling my BES920

I am unable to complete the descale process and cannot get rid of the descale notice on my display. Also am tasting the descale chemicial in my coffee.
    I tried to follow the instructions in the manual to the letter and can't get it to work properly. I did somehow manage to get to the 20 minute routine that filled the boilers with the descale solution but con't complete the procedure. It keeps displaying "Valv" and beeps 3 times. I have tried multiple times but have had no luck in getting past this to complete the flushing out of the solution and refilling the boilers with clean water. I have had to give up on the Descale function and started up normally to fill the boilers and have then emptied them by pressing the manual button to put out water and use the Hot Water function and Steam nozzle many times,
    I really would like to know how to actually complete the Descale process.
    Thanks,
    John

Valve means that the boilers haven’t been emptied. Try opening the valves fully, leave it for 5min and then close the screws again.

Quote Originally Posted by dan77 View Post
    Valve means that the boilers haven’t been emptied. Try opening the valves fully, leave it for 5min and then close the screws again.
    I have tried waiting for as much as 30 minutes several times, but always get the same result..

Is the steam arm fully closed? That can cause 3 beeps, other than that I’m out. All the best with it.

If you follow the instructions to the letter the machine can cool down too much to empty the boilers properly. When you're waiting for it to cool down, every 10min turn the machine on until it gives you a temperature, then turn it off again. Wait until it's between 60-70 and slowly open the valves, if you're not getting hot water flow out of the brew boiler you can try opening the hot water valve at the same time to let some air in, close it again once the brew boiler is drained. As for the "valv" make sure the steam valve is closed as this may be the culprit, if the steam valve is open it won't heat the steam boiler and continue the process, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    Have you used freshly roasted coffee beans.

Key point here is they have a roast date less than 4 weeks old.

If they have a best before date then they are too old.
    Hi mate, I assume you replied to my question. It would be nice if it is a problem with beans. We bought the bean from wollies with 1 year expiration. From your opinion it would not be suitable for my machine. Can someone advise any beans bought easily? Thanks

It doesn't get much easier than BeanBay.

Java "Great coffee just a click away!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Hi, MY machine went to the doctor about six months ago with the issue of having no steam. That took two weeks to fix due to having to wait for the replacement part. So, everything was fine but now a new problem has arisen, when doing the extraction the machine is making a weird buzzing sound. The pool of repairers for Breville has shrunken as one guy has retired so now we probably have to wait even longer than before for repairs, very annoying when I can't get my cap every morning. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any idea what it is?

Yeah, I have a buzzing sound when extracting but it still works. Itís had the buzzing for a couple of years and has been worse at time than others. No idea what it is. I figure that Iíll keep using it until it stops and then invest in something higher end.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Could be coffee bees.

Quote Originally Posted by yotiger View Post
    Hi mate, I assume you replied to my question. It would be nice if it is a problem with beans. We bought the bean from wollies with 1 year expiration. From your opinion it would not be suitable for my machine. Can someone advise any beans bought easily? Thanks
    Yeah itís your beans. As Java said beanbay you can order.

Otherwise google and see if you have a local toaster. Should be able to get some fresh beans for around $40 per kg to start with.

Even some good cafes etc that sell beans sell old ones. So always look for a roast date

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Could be coffee bees.
    A bit like dashboard warning lights in cars, meant to be ignored, until something fails.

I've had my BES920 and matching grinder for almost two years now and I'm getting OK results. However on the double basket, I have been over dosing 24g+ to get the correct flow. If I take it to 22g then the flow is way too much and down to 7 bar. If I decrease the grind so that it is only a few clicks from max (setting 4 on mine) then it flows OK but it's a very fine grind and the taste loses much of the richness. Beans are good quality and fresh - two weeks from medium roasting. Am I missing something here?

Hello all, my first post here! I bought the machine in November and have been making some great coffee save one frustration. After tamping (and even checking the dose is correct with the razor tool) the coffee is still pressing up against the shower screen when the group handle is attached (using the single walled double shot basket). If I reduce the dose the flow rate is effected and adequate pressure isn't generated - I would have thought that the suggested dose from the razor tool was at a level that wouldn't be against the shower screen? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Vemo View Post
    I've had my BES920 and matching grinder for almost two years now and I'm getting OK results. However on the double basket, I have been over dosing 24g+ to get the correct flow. If I take it to 22g then the flow is way too much and down to 7 bar. If I decrease the grind so that it is only a few clicks from max (setting 4 on mine) then it flows OK but it's a very fine grind and the taste loses much of the richness. Beans are good quality and fresh - two weeks from medium roasting. Am I missing something here?
    Using my BES900 at work with a pretty new BCG820 I'm grinding at 13 and about 21g into a double with about 12s til first drips and a 25-30s extraction. Has the grinder been pulled apart at any point that you know of? I think it's possible to stuff up the zero point of the grinder. There's also a burr setting you can change (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...inder-pro.html)

Has it always been like this? The BCG800 used to have issues with the impeller wearing out but I thought the 820 was stainless instead of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bismuth View Post
    Hello all, my first post here! I bought the machine in November and have been making some great coffee save one frustration. After tamping (and even checking the dose is correct with the razor tool) the coffee is still pressing up against the shower screen when the group handle is attached (using the single walled double shot basket). If I reduce the dose the flow rate is effected and adequate pressure isn't generated - I would have thought that the suggested dose from the razor tool was at a level that wouldn't be against the shower screen? Any ideas?
    The razor tool isn't great for checking the dose is correct but it should stop the coffee pressing up against the shower screen. What makes you think it is? Have you tried grinding finer? For dosing you're better off weighing out how much coffee you're using.

Thanks for the response! I haven't been dosing by weight, will give that a try and see what I'm currently dosing (have currently just dialed in the smart grinder relative to time and extraction pressure). After tamping and checking the level, attaching the group handle to the machine leaves a clear mark from the shower screen and screw hole - I haven't tried the 5c test as the touching seemed obvious without.

Quote Originally Posted by bismuth View Post
    Thanks for the response! I haven't been dosing by weight, will give that a try and see what I'm currently dosing (have currently just dialed in the smart grinder relative to time and extraction pressure). After tamping and checking the level, attaching the group handle to the machine leaves a clear mark from the shower screen and screw hole - I haven't tried the 5c test as the touching seemed obvious without.
    Odd. I'll run the razor tool over my puck tomorrow morning to see if the same thing happens with mine.

I have had my BES920 since November and have at last pulled 3 consistent shots in 3 days in a row all at 8.5bar (with fresh medium roast beans).
    I have an 7 year old smartgrinder which has 2 shims installed and even grinding at the finest setting it will not choke the 920.
    I tried at 18grams and had problems with channelling and watery shot at 5bar, bumped it up to 19grams for an improvement and 7bar (but not consistent)
    I am now at 20grams and at last some consistency and no channelling.
    Interestingly in all 3 weight settings I get shower screen and screw hole marks but they are below the level of the razertool.

Is the screw hole marks before or after your shot.

The way you are discussing I would assume itís after which in my experience will happen.

Itís before your shot, that is lock your full portafilter in as if you were going to do a shot. Then pull out and see if the marks are there. The marks caused from this mean you have filled it too much.
    level3ninja likes this.

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast