Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 1960
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by NickRPT View Post
    Also have you guys try VST 20g basket on a Breville 920 ?
    I have one and i have found that i can get better shots from the stock filter !
    Anyone here got any experience ?
    A fellow Greek. My mum is Greek anyway, so I'm half...

Anyhow VST baskets...
    1) they market themselves on their precision... but precision has little effect on taste in the cup
    2) the real reason for VST baskets is their large open area... large hole to metal ratio, so they flow too fast unless you grind finer. Sometimes you want this feature. Sometimes not.
    3) they are more sensitive to puck prep than regular hole area baskets... IOW, they channel and spritz (if you use a bottomless portafilter) more easily than traditional baskets

Breville baskets...
    1) also very precise, round, evenly spaced holes... but again, precision has little effect on taste in the cup
    2) they have a more traditional ratio of open area to metal, so they flow slower and you grind coarser than VST to get the timing you want

Bottom line...
    VST baskets are not "better" than the Breville baskets... they just "handle" differently. Very differently. You choose one over the other depending on circumstances. Me? I roast my own beans and rarely if ever have one roast identical to the other, either the beans are different or my roasting skills cause variability. SO, I keep both the Breville baskets AND VST baskets around to use whichever one works better for the bean I have. Just pay special attention to your puck prep with VST, because again, they are more sensitive to spritzing and channeling than the Breville basket. Not that spritzing is the end of the world... Spritz happens.

-Peter

im at a loss and thinking the machine may need to go to the shop for a repair.
    in the last week i cannot get pressure to go above about 4.5bar. even with the grind on 1 ( its usually around 7 atm).

any thoughts ? i am used to adjusting the grind depending on the beans , their age etc etc, but this seems something different. also, in the pre-draw period the pressure does not rise..
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
    im at a loss and thinking the machine may need to go to the shop for a repair.
    in the last week i cannot get pressure to go above about 4.5bar. even with the grind on 1 ( its usually around 7 atm).

any thoughts ? i am used to adjusting the grind depending on the beans , their age etc etc, but this seems something different. also, in the pre-draw period the pressure does not rise..
    thx
    What does the pressure go to when you put a blind basket into your portafilter, or use the gray silicone cleaning disk in the portafilter?

-Peter

I actually manage to get better looking extraction with the stock Breville basket than the VST , but not in all beans i have try :-)
    I have a feeling that my Breville grinder is not that capable to grind good enough for my VST basket , so i have already order a Sette 270w and i'll keep you updated :-)

Thank you very much Peter :-)

Nick you might try to see if Breville will send you a shim for your grinders' burrs. That will allow the grinder to be able to grind finer. They were sending them out for free a couple of years ago. If not, they aren't going to be too dear anyway. No more than a dollar, plus post, I'd guess.

-Peter

Descale Help!

Bump! Can anyone help me please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    Hi all, I have now diligently followed the descaling video from Beauty and the Barista on YouTube 3 times. I am frustrated to the max as I still have DESCALE! showing on the screen. Can some kind souls who know their machine backwards and successfully descale please view this video and confirm whether the process is correct as demonstrated or not. This is doing my head in.
    https://youtu.be/_VAkjB2qC9c
    thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
    Bump! Can anyone help me please?
    When I descaled mine I had to perform a reset to clear the indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    What does the pressure go to when you put a blind basket into your portafilter, or use the gray silicone cleaning disk in the portafilter?

-Peter
    why didnt i think of that. good pressure using the cleaning disk, so i decided to give the grinder a good clean out... that did the trick.... thanks

Peter there is not a problem for fine grind !
    Breville grinder can go very fine and not they have add inside the micro metric adjustment , that work like shim !
    The problem is that once you go fine the coffee it comes out like small pieces and not fluffy !
    I did the test today and the stock basket with 20g coffee hold way better pressure than the VST at 20g !
    VST starts with 10 bars and then at less than 20 secs drop down to 7 bar !
    The stock starts with 9,5 bar and drop down to 8 bars till i stop the extraction at about 30 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by homebaristauk View Post
    When I descaled mine I had to perform a reset to clear the indicator.

Yes, I did try that, but no good. I may have to refer this to Breville with little hope of them sorting it.
    Thanks for your assistance homebaristauk.
    homebaristauk likes this.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40