Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 2122
Like Tree389Likes

Thread: Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Thank you Peter for your very helpful advice. I guess we have been unrealistic in our expectations of the machine as you think the repair cost is reasonable and I suppose over a two and a half year period it is not too bad. My husband would like to service the machine himself however is there a service manual we can get? I have looked on you tube but there is only bits and pieces of advice, so far I have found nothing really suitable.
    As to the water, is conditioned water the same as filtered water? We use only tap water as advised by Breville.

Thinking back to our BES900 I remember that the first problem lay with the steam boiler having to be replaced because of a large hole which developed. It was just out of warranty but after complaining to Breville they gave us a new boiler but we had to pay for the labour which cost us quite a lot. After that there were a lot of niggly problems and in the end we gave up and it is currently sitting on a bench unused.

Back to the water issue, because our water in Perth has a lot of lime we initially used distilled water in the BES900 but the service guy told us that was no good and to only use tap water which we did. Do you have your water filtered through a sink unit?

Once again many thanks for taking the time to address my problems, it is the best advice I have had since we got our first machine.

Thanks for not responding negatively to my tone. It was... Firm... But not intended to be rude.

Sadly there is no manual. One area where most of you and the Breville detractors are right, is that Breville never intended the customer to service these machines. And that is why there is no manual. BUT it was assembled by hand, in China, with minimally skilled labor. That means that it can be serviced by hand with minimally skilled labor. The service intervals and requirements have been figured out by the community of users, rather than posted in a manual. More of the dark underbelly I didn't reveal is that since this machine has only been out since 2011, there may be other failure modes that haven't revealed themselves because they take more than 10 years (say) to reveal themselves. The good news is, the stuff to keep it running for five-years plus: o-rings, solenoids, steam ball valves, are all easy to change. In fact, they require no internal disassembly after you have removed the covers, and no special tools. That is good news.

It's time for me to put my two little girls to bed here in the USA, and I might fall asleep with them, but I will back with some helpful how-to links if you are interested. I'll have some stuff to help demystify the water situation for you. Your options are several and overall not too expensive or difficult.

In short, even though Breville never intended us to maintain these ourselves, the community of users has figured out how anyway, and the news is overall pretty good.

-Peter

I have an under bench filter system and never use tap water in mine. I thought the owners manual said to only use filtered water.

Quote Originally Posted by beezneez View Post
    Thinking back to our BES900 I remember that the first problem lay with the steam boiler having to be replaced because of a large hole which developed.
    This would be a very unusual occurrence. The first I've heard, and I've been in the various online coffee communities since the BDB came out in 2011. At first blush, it sounds like it might have been a manufacturing defect of some sort since the BDB uses stainless steel boilers, which all but rules out rust. In that regard, it supports your argument about Breville being junk. I will remember your experience when/if it crops up in some of the other BDB threads online. In retrospect, i wonder if the hole in your boiler came from too low a water level caused by your experiments with running distilled water? In the next paragraphs I talk about how this can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beezneez View Post
    Back to the water issue, because our water in Perth has a lot of lime we initially used distilled water in the BES900 but the service guy told us that was no good and to only use tap water which we did. Do you have your water filtered through a sink unit?
    Last night, I promised to talk a bit about water... You want (we all want) water that does not produce scale. That's what the coffee shops use, and that is expected of you, as you move into higher end equipment at home (commercial or semi-commercial). You have two approaches:

1) A filtration system that removes hardness (most ordinary filters don't): a little more expensive, but will not bankrupt you.
    and
    2) Mix your own water that has no hardness to begin with: Cheaper, but a little more hassle.
    Life always seems to come down to this tradeoff doesn't it?

I'll start with the second one first: Get yourself a large jug of distilled water. One of those big water cooler sized jugs. They are five gallons in the USA, but something like 18-20L in the rest of the world, either way they are about the same size. Yes, I did say distilled. The reason Breville says not to use distilled water is that if it is pure enough, it will not conduct well enough for the sensors in the boilers to send the right signals to the computer. This can end up destroying a boiler because it can cause the heater to come on when the water level is too low. It has happened before, to well meaning BDB owners. Another reason not to use distilled water, is that the espresso will not taste as good. Side by side, I bet you could tell the difference. And third, which applies less to the BDB because of the stainless boilers, is that pure water is like a sponge. It wants to soak up material. In a copper and brass Italian machine, it would pull chemicals out of the metal and eventually (over years) destroy it. So you are buying distilled water, but you are not using distilled water per se. You are adding to it. Ideally, you can add about (this isn't pharmaceutical precision by the way) 100mg or 0.1g on your espresso scale of ordinary sodium bicarb for every four liters of distilled water. You can add a little more or less to taste. OR, you can use about double that amount of potassium bicarb (available inexpensively at home beer brewing supply or Amazon or Ebay). Either will make your espresso taste good and provide the necessary solids that the machine needs to run right and you will get no scale. Some people prefer the taste with potassium bicarb over sodium bicarb.

Or you can use an under the sink filtration system. But it MUST be the kind that removes hardness. You need to be very careful when shopping that you get this kind. This one is quick and easy but costs a little more and the filters are a little bit expensive. But if you use it only for espresso and tea and such, it will probably last a year or more between filter changes. You can also change the filter without having to turn off the water supply. Very convenient. https://www.amazon.com/3M-ESP124-T-E.../dp/B0029SQ9T2 This is just an example. You don't have to buy from Amazon. I found a better price on ebay, but I am in the USA and it was domestic shipping. You probably won't want to pay for shipping from the USA, but I am quite sure this system is available in AUS (and NZ) as well.

Or you can build your own from parts at a plumbing supply like this one: http://www.chriscoffee.com/Water-Sof...p/softsysg.htm Just make sure you get the resin bead ion exchange softening filter cartridge. These resin beads are the same material that Breville gives in those little filter sacks they have you put in the reservoir... Only there is much much more of it in a proper filtration system.

Hope this is enough to at least get you started thinking about scale free water. Make no mistake, scale buildup can (and has) very well caused plenty of problems for people.

I'll be back later with some links to common repair procedures like solenoid and o-ring jobs.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 9th March 2018 at 10:55 AM.
    tds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post

Your logical mind is the best asset you've got. Heed it. In fact, in the Scace testing I've seen conducted by people you've heard of, the BDB came out in the class of the saturated brew group machines like the GS/3, which is $7000USD. Not sure how the $3500 Italians fare in temperature stability, but people who upgrade from the Italian E61's usually go to a saturated group machine like the GS/3... Which the BDB equals at least as far as temperature stability.

Your leak at the top of the steam boiler where the plastic pipe goes in, is the classic leak in the BDB. #007 size o-ring. some of them require a stack of two o-rings. don't miss that. also some of them have a little stainless washer, don't forget (or lose) that as well when you do your o-rings.

-Peter
    Peter thanks for the help and tips.

Logical mind prevailed, ordered a heavily discounted replacement BES920; came to the conclusion this one being so far along the life cycle may mean it is the most reliable version yet with all of the various updates which have occured. Im interested if when I open it up if it has the updated Ulka Pump (the new brew pump I installed (I think EX5?) to fix my old one had a brass central body, where the OEM had plastic). I have a mate with an e61 chromey italian thing and after manhandling that convinced ive made the right call (accepting the fact my machine doesnt look pretty)

Think i'll tinker with my old machine and see if I can repair it and if I can will give it to a mate who I want to get in to coffee-snobbery (if I cant fix will just offload for parts on ebay).
    Im not sure on the counter but think it may have pulled more than 10,000 coffees so definitely got my moneys worth.

The grinder however is something I am looking at upgrading, the 270w seems fantastic BFYB.

Beez,

Basic BDB repair and maintenance info for your pleasure (and anyone else):

Here is a thread with a lot of detail about the o-ring job: CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Espresso Machines, New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL
    There are sensors and water tubes on top of the boilers. It is unlikely that you will have steam leaks from the sensors. So just concentrate on replacing the o-rings at the water tubes. Size #007. Heat up the machine with the covers off (don't touch hot boilers with your bare hands), and wiggle the water tubes... you will see the ones that hiss out steam. But as long as you are under the bonnet, replace all the o-rings under the water tubes. Don't worry about the sensor o-rings yet. At the six year point, they are still probably not leaking.

And here is a thread with a lot of detail about opening up the machine, and a video with solenoid replacement:CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Espresso Machines, Breville Dual Boiler Repair Thread
    On the -920 and the newer -900 (which uses the -920 group) the replacement solenoid comes with it's own gaskets. It is a MUCH better and more reliable design than the older -900 solenoid sealing scheme.

-Peter

PCrussell, has done a great job of explaining some of the home maintenance that can be carried out by most who are a bit handy.

However, bear in mind when your poking around in there that the power supply in Australia is 240 volt AC unlike the US 110 volt AC, 240 volt can and will kill you.

Unless your a qualified electrician suggest you leave the covers on.

It only takes a split second, as this unfortunate family in WA found out a couple of days ago.
    Family of Denishar Woods confirms tap electric shock has left 'catastrophic brain injury' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Fair warning this ^^^

Espresso machines, (all of them) not just the BDB, deal in heat, water, high pressure and electricity. Pull a water hose off of a hot pressurized steam boiler and be ready for some serious burns. Of course it's not voltage per se that kills, it's current. And the standard USA 110v outlet is rated for 15 Amperes max current. High current 110v USA outlets are rated for 20 Amperes (this is the one most people use for their GS/3), and certain USA outlets are 220v for big customers like electric clothes dryers and commercial espresso machines. 15 and 20 Amperes no matter the voltage, are more than enough to kill, many times over. Say, Yelts mate*, I've been doing a lot of talking and not as much asking lately... the USA spec BDB (called the -900/920XL) is rated at 1700 Watts max power. What is the AUS spec one rated at? With 240V at the outlet, it could safely run at higher power without overloading a typical home circuit. Google is no being my friend in finding this out. Inconveniently, the max wattage is on the bottom of the machine so you have to roll out the water reservoir and tip the machine so you can see the bottom.

*I spent many important years as a teenager and younger man, living in Australia, I still visit often, have stayed lifelong friends with some of my school mates, and in fact, I'm going back again in a few days from now. So I use a little Aussie slang like mate every so often. I also play cricket about every weekend, something else I picked up over there as a lifelong passion, although mostly with Indians here. Not as many Aussies around to play with. Anyway, I'm not being insulting when I use the word mate.

-Peter
    tds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thecafeninja View Post
    Hi, so after the grinder started making some hideous noises today I took it back to the store and they swapped it for a new one no questions asked. Having tried the new one Iím pleased to report much less clumping of the coffee, no channeling and getting some good crema out so looks like it was basically a ďFriday grinderĒ. I ran a kg of beans through it to season the burrs as you suggested. I think everything will be good from here in hopefully!
    Sadly new grinder showing all the same symptoms of last one. Crappy crema....poor extraction. Currently running 2kg of crap beans through it but grinder keeps overheating every 2 minutes and switching off so taking forever.

Good! If that doesn't result in some improvement, it might be time for a call to Breville. Tell them you are worried that the inner and outer burrs are not concentric with each other.

Keep us informed. (I think there is or was a Smart Grinder thread here on CS, by the way)

-Peter
    Sadly new grinder showing all the same symptoms of last one. Crappy crema....poor extraction. Currently running 2kg of crap beans through it but grinder keeps overheating every 2 minutes and switching off so taking forever. Have attached a photo of same coffee ground in sunbeam grinder (left) versus Breville (right). Breville grind is incredibly clumpy as opposed to sunbeam which seems light and dry. Feel like Iím wasting my time with this grinder!

Do yourself a favour and spend $600 bucks on a mazzer mini

Quote Originally Posted by clubbi4 View Post
    Do yourself a favour and spend $600 bucks on a mazzer mini
    Iíd love to but only bought this grinder and machine last week...not sure if theyíll refund the grinder but I may try as Iím happy with the machine.

I’d love to but only bought this grinder and machine last week...not sure if they’ll refund the grinder but I may try as I’m happy with the machine.
    They will if you tell em it's crap and doesn't do the job it's meant to.

The grinder isnít crap. It's a budget grinder and pretty good considering its price point. It does the job it is meant to. It would be wrong to claim otherwise.

I don't understand why, as a consumer, one feels it's okay to make a such a claim. The grinder is certainly fit for purpose.
    gordons likes this.

I went from a sunbeam 0480, to the bcg 800, and now run the 820. I would never go back to the sunbeam. The actual grind process may be similar but I found the steps between each setting to be much smaller with the Breville allowing you to dial it in more precisely. The dose control is very good also, esp the 820 with the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by prydey View Post
    I went from a sunbeam 0480, to the bcg 800, and now run the 820. I would never go back to the sunbeam. The actual grind process may be similar but I found the steps between each setting to be much smaller with the Breville allowing you to dial it in more precisely. The dose control is very good also, esp the 820 with the timer.
    The grinder is ocassionally making a loud ratchetty noise when grinding at finer grinds. Is this normal? I put a kilo of cheap beans through it this weekend to try to season the burrs a little. I am still getting much better results using the old sunbeam grinder. The grind coming out of the Breville is very clumpy - not sure if thatís part of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by clubbi4 View Post
    They will if you tell em it's crap and doesn't do the job it's meant to.
    Itís just that this is the second grinder I have had...they took the first one back no questions asked...

It's not uncommon for small conical burr grinders in the $200 class to produce clumpy grinds. This is probably not what you want to hear, but you can often get much more satisfactory results in the cup, starting with clumpy grinds if you grind into an empty yogurt cup, fluff them up with a fine piece of wire or thin needle stuck in a wine cork and then transfer them back into the portafilter with an espresso funnel. Or make your own funnel by cutting the bottom out of a small fruit or yogurt cup. You'd never see this done in a busy coffee shop, but many home baristas use this technique even with high end grinders. It's an excellent technique that will hurt nothing and may well help a lot, if you have the patience for it. As a home barista, I always make time for it, even when I'm using one of my high end grinders. It's sometimes called WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique) in the espresso world. Try making a couple of shots with your clumpy smartie using WDT, and report back how it went, would you?

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 12th March 2018 at 04:08 AM.

The grinder is ocassionally making a loud ratchetty noise when grinding at finer grinds. Is this normal? I put a kilo of cheap beans through it this weekend to try to season the burrs a little. I am still getting much better results using the old sunbeam grinder. The grind coming out of the Breville is very clumpy - not sure if that’s part of the problem?
    It shouldn't be making any sort of loud ratchet sound. Not ideal but I would be taking the second one back also.

It shouldn't be making any sort of loud ratchet sound. Not ideal but I would be taking the second one back also.
    Thanks...Iím starting to think it may be a bad batch of grinders so going to take the second one back too.
    clubbi4 likes this.

It's not uncommon for small conical burr grinders in the $200 class to produce clumpy grinds. This is probably not what you want to hear, but you can often get much more satisfactory results in the cup, starting with clumpy grinds if you grind into an empty yogurt cup, fluff them up with a fine piece of wire or thin needle stuck in a wine cork and then transfer them back into the portafilter with an espresso funnel. Or make your own funnel by cutting the bottom out of a small fruit or yogurt cup. You'd never see this done in a busy coffee shop, but many home baristas use this technique even with high end grinders. It's an excellent technique that will hurt nothing and may well help a lot, if you have the patience for it. As a home barista, I always make time for it, even when I'm using one of my high end grinders. It's sometimes called WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique) in the espresso world. Try making a couple of shots with your clumpy smartie using WDT, and report back how it went, would you?

-Peter
    Eeek...donít really have the time or patience for that tbh...my sunbeam grinder (9 years old) doesnít clump at all and itís a cheaper model then the Breville...

Eeek...donít really have the time or patience for that tbh...my sunbeam grinder (9 years old) doesnít clump at all and itís a cheaper model then the Breville...
    I will try a couple though. Iím so over this thing I just want to smash it to smithereens...

So what are forumers thoughts on making a Frankenspresso machine?

With my new replacement BES920 arriving shortly, I will have a mostly fine BES920 sitting here (o rings and steam pump all that is needed). I am tempted to strip it out, and build up a machine. Maybe even just make a mini brew only machine for short blacks and leave it in the man cave. Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks...I’m starting to think it may be a bad batch of grinders so going to take the second one back too.
    possibly. can't hurt to try.

mine does produce clumpy grinds but i'm not really that over the top. I only ever drink latte, so adding milk tends to allow a lot more tolerance. My grinder can choke my 920 with fresh beans and the top burr still on the factory setting. i can dial in my coffee (merlo, private blend) to produce a consistent pour of 25-30sec to produce the 30ml (give or take) of espresso. i don't weigh anything. I'm not that fussy and i'm very happy with the taste in the cup, which is what matters. everyone that drinks my coffee always comment how good it tastes compared to any commercial place they've been to.

i'm not saying the equipment is top shelf, but it is more than adequate for the average home barista to produce a very acceptable drink.
    inorog and WarrenK like this.

(...)
    i'm not saying the equipment is top shelf, but it is more than adequate for the average home barista to produce a very acceptable drink.
    I can certainly attest that most of the times when I make a coffee at 4:3o AM - the last thing I think of is "damn - that grind is clumpy"...
    prydey and Erimus like this.

I will try a couple though. I’m so over this thing I just want to smash it to smithereens...
    Hang in there Ninja, you'll get it right in the end.

As a matter of interest! is that a Burmese cat sitting on your shoulder?
    Last edited by Yelta; 12th March 2018 at 02:13 PM.
    thecafeninja likes this.

I will try a couple though. I’m so over this thing I just want to smash it to smithereens...
    Good. And thank you for taking the trouble because it's not just me trying to help you, I'm trying to learn a little here myself. There is not even now, full understanding of the physics behind grinding, especially what happens in the path after the burrs, but before the grinds drop out of the machine. There are a surprising lot of things that happen in that short space, that have a surprisingly large effect on the grind you get. Right now, with your smartie, you are suffering clumpy grinds and poor cup quality/taste. Even if you can't live long term with having to fluff up the grinds manually, I want to see if manually breaking up the clumps and fluffing the grinds will improve your cup quality, or have no effect on it. That will tell us something.

The fact that it's making bad noises is certainly food for thought about another bad grinder... Possibly part of a bad batch. And obviously, you shouldn't have to live with it making bad noises even if it grinds nicely.

I forgot. You're not using fast flowing baskets like VST are you? If not, then you're good. If you are, then we need to talk a little further.

-Peter

Good. And thank you for taking the trouble because it's not just me trying to help you, I'm trying to learn a little here myself. There is not even now, full understanding of the physics behind grinding, especially what happens in the path after the burrs, but before the grinds drop out of the machine. There are a surprising lot of things that happen in that short space, that have a surprisingly large effect on the grind you get. Right now, with your smartie, you are suffering clumpy grinds and poor cup quality/taste. Even if you can't live long term with having to fluff up the grinds manually, I want to see if manually breaking up the clumps and fluffing the grinds will improve your cup quality, or have no effect on it. That will tell us something.

The fact that it's making bad noises is certainly food for thought about another bad grinder... Possibly part of a bad batch. And obviously, you shouldn't have to live with it making bad noises even if it grinds nicely.

I forgot. You're not using fast flowing baskets like VST are you? If not, then you're good. If you are, then we need to talk a little further.

-Peter
    Iím using the standard filters that came with the machine - single wall. Iíll try to remember to test this tonight. Hopefully my wife wonít brain me with a group handle...she sick of the noise of grinders!!!

Post #2029 this thread, starting to sound a little like Groundhog Day.

bosco likes this.

Just as an FYI. Donít feel bad about taking machines back. I experienced two times without either Jb hi fi or breville looking at it they were just replaced. If you bring the whole kit including grinder they will replace this.

This time I got a full refund instead of the replacement.
    clubbi4 and thecafeninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Post #2029 this thread, starting to sound a little like Groundhog Day.

And Iím stuck at gobblerís knob!

And Iím stuck at gobblerís knob!
    Morning Ninja, is the cat on your shoulder a Burmese? asked in another thread, guess you missed it?

Hey guys purchased this today with smart grinder and am experimenting with settings etc. I prefer double shot and my wife prefers single shots, I am currently doing this by pouring my double shot and then just press the single shot on the machine for wife's coffee. Is this the best way even though I have used a double basket and grinded enough for a double shot?

Can you just get a spare cup and let one side of the pour in her cup and the other side in a different cup?

Or am I not reading you correctly. That way you never have to adjust anything.

It depends on how much you love your wife.

When you pour your coffee using the double, it (should be) set to extract just the right amount of coffee. Pressing the single button afterwards will only pull out extremely weak and bitter liquid with no body. This is because (if all went well) the wonderful coffee flavours had been extracted in the previous shot.

I would suggest running another double and only catching one side of the extraction. Alternatively, you can run the double basket for your shot and the single for your wife. It may take a minor amount of adjustment on the dose to get as good of an extraction with the single. But this should not require you change the grind size.

Ultimately, go with what taste best.

Its finally happened! this thread has gone senile, hahahah...

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    Its finally happened! this thread has gone senile, hahahah...
    Why, because we are rehashing old basic barista technique all over again? The same thing happens in the BDB threads in the American coffee forums too. It seems that the BDB, with all it's capability, is often the intro machine for people who are still developing the fundamentals of barista skill and knowledge. Oh well. The more people using them and gaining knowledge to share, the better for all of us.

-Peter

Why, because we are rehashing old basic barista technique all over again? The same thing happens in the BDB threads in the American coffee forums too. It seems that the BDB, with all it's capability, is often the intro machine for people who are still developing the fundamentals of barista skill and knowledge. Oh well. The more people using them and gaining knowledge to share, the better for all of us.

-Peter

Oh dear! That joke went down like a lead (Led) balloon. Lighten up mate.

my wife takes her coffee how she gets it. she knows if she complains or makes requests, she'll miss out, so she just keeps quiet and is grateful for whatever she gets.

i've offered to teach her how to use the machine multiple times, but she has the view that if she learns how to use it, the coffee's will stop getting brought to her, and she'll end up being the barista.

smart woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    Oh dear! That joke went down like a lead (Led) balloon. Lighten up mate.
    Were you thinking I was criticizing you? I was not. Just taking a friendly guess at the meaning behind your joke. I was and still am light.

-Peter

Morning Ninja, is the cat on your shoulder a Burmese? asked in another thread, guess you missed it?
    Yes he is! Thatís Hugo...my 16 year old grumpy Burmese and my best buddy. I also have a blue Burmese called Luna.

Yes he is! Thatís Hugo...my 16 year old grumpy Burmese and my best buddy. I also have a blue Burmese called Luna.
    Thought so! we have a 4yo male chocolate called Woger, our third Burmese, great cats.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0XDHF3M60
    inorog likes this.

I am pulling a pretty good shot in this now but seem to sit on bar 7 with the shot starting at 12 seconds. Any way to get the pressure higher without over extracting and causing the shot to pour too late?

Thought so! we have a 4yo male chocolate called Woger, our third Burmese, great cats.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0XDHF3M60
    Thatís hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshaldo View Post
    I am pulling a pretty good shot in this now but seem to sit on bar 7 with the shot starting at 12 seconds. Any way to get the pressure higher without over extracting and causing the shot to pour too late?
    what pressure does your machine reach with the blind cleaning disc in? If it doesn't go to about 9.5 bar then you have a problem.

Breville say to test the pump pressure, use a empty double wall basket and the pressure should reach around 5 bar. i can't remember if they said to use a single or double dual wall basket, so maybe just check your manual.

You can also buy a proper blind basket for pretty cheap. About $4 in USD. A 58mm blind basket you will be able to use for the rest of your life as long as you buy standard 58mm machines. I keep a blind in whichever portafilter I'm not using for coffee at the moment, (spouted or bottomless).

And the Breville cleaning tablets are 2g of Cafetto. I've long since run out of those, but I use my scale to weigh out 2.0g of proper espresso detergent like Cafetto, and put it in the blind basket and run the cleaning cycle.

-Peter
    Yelta likes this.

Aaah - kids these days don't know their Monty Python!

Why, when I was a young lad, we used to make our own Monty Python sketches... in the dark, through snow, up the hill both ways.

By the way for those curious about current and voltage and power and such, the US version is 1700 Watt power rating to accommodate 110 Volts in a worst case 15 Ampere outlet. I happen to be back in Australia right now for a visit, and had a chance to have a look... The Aussie version is 2200 Watts max. With 240 Volts on a 15 Ampere outlet, it _could_ potentially be set to run at 3600 Watts, which would be a lot of overkill for a home use machine and guessing probably why Breville decided not to go to the extra trouble and expense of speccing high power parts when 2200W is plenty.

-Peter

Hi all,

Just purchased my new BES920 and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me.

1. What quantity of coffee are you using in the PF that comes with the machine? eg: 18, 19, 20 grams.
    2. I want to weigh the shot so do I set the machine to duration or volumetric setting?
    3. Do I weigh the shot with the PF empty or dosed? The manual states it should be empty for duration and contain the standard dose when doing the volumetric measurement. I've seen posts suggesting the volumetric method is flawed so I'm confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Greg

Hey Guys,

My machine is a little over 2 years old - it was working properly until I perform descaling

This is the first time I descale the machine and has only done so as the machine prompt me to do so

I followed the descale procedure to the letter and used Urnex Dezcal descaler agent

Now, the machine no longer maintain brewing temperature of 94c and developed an internal leak

I can hear steam hissing internal at 57c

Do you reckon Breville will repair my machine? What could have broke?

Any input is most appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast