Thread: EM6910 - water coming from hot water spout when should be coming from group head

EM6910 - water coming from hot water spout when should be coming from group head

After replacing the collar on my Sunbeam EM 6910 - an involved job which involves taking the machine half apart - I have a problem! Water is coming from the hot water spout when I press the button for the grouphead. I've done a reset to factory settings, turned off and on again, removed the hot water spout handle and made sure that the contact for the hot water isn't touching.

So, barring something mechanical went wrong when I reinstalled I'm assuming - and hoping not! - that some of the electronics must have been damaged!

Any advice appreciated!

Solved!

I had just loosened the valve on the hot water spout before reassembling the knob housing - so that even when the knob was 'off' it was actually on, diverting water from the group head.

Now working perfectly again!

Always good to see things fixed. There is a lot of satisfaction in eventually working your way through a problem.

Hope it didn't take you the whole 9 hours though?

No - I put it aside for a while! But it did take a while after ripping out the head on two of the torx screws, which eventually involved drilling a screw extractor and .... anyway, a few extra hours of buggering around, but at least I now have some new tools!

The sad side is that at the last minute I managed to lose the anti-drip valve, so now bugger-all pressure - but I've ordered a new one!

I keep learning the same lesson - don't work quick, don't work tired!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-o View Post
    Solved!

I had just loosened the valve on the hot water spout before reassembling the knob housing - so that even when the knob was 'off' it was actually on, diverting water from the group head.

Now working perfectly again!
    Hi,

I have the same problem on a secondhand machine I just purchased (otherwise the machine is working perfectly after doing the group head collar shim trick with a thin piece of plastic).

Can you explain what you had to do? I haven't had my machine apart, but it's the same symptom (and maybe the previous owner had been dismantling it).

Cheers,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlil01 View Post
    Hi,

I have the same problem on a secondhand machine I just purchased (otherwise the machine is working perfectly after doing the group head collar shim trick with a thin piece of plastic).

Can you explain what you had to do? I haven't had my machine apart, but it's the same symptom (and maybe the previous owner had been dismantling it).

Cheers,
    Lee
    That's going back a fair way! I think when you take the hot water knob off there's a valve or screw-fitting just inside that can be tightened. The steam and hot water come from the same source, so if all the connections aren't closed, turning on the steam will also result in some leakage through the hot water tap.
    It may have been further in the guts, so you might have to take the top of the machine off (which involves taking off the back and sides too, from memory!) - it's not too complex, but it is time-consuming if, like me, you're not a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-o View Post
    That's going back a fair way! I think when you take the hot water knob off there's a valve or screw-fitting just inside that can be tightened. The steam and hot water come from the same source, so if all the connections aren't closed, turning on the steam will also result in some leakage through the hot water tap.
    It may have been further in the guts, so you might have to take the top of the machine off (which involves taking off the back and sides too, from memory!) - it's not too complex, but it is time-consuming if, like me, you're not a pro!
    Glad youíre still with us! It did occur to me that I was replying to a pretty old post, but you were the only person I could find who had the same problem as me. Thanks for responding.

Nothing seems to drip from the steam pipe, only the hot water when Iím pulling a shot.

I guess I might try removing the hot water knob and see if thereís anything obviously loose. Iím a bit loathed to start pulling the machine apart too much since it seems to be working well otherwise Ė if the ďleakĒ is causing me to lose pressure then I am still getting more than enough according to the gauge.

Iím wondering if itís worth running some vinegar solution or cleaner through the hot water pipe in case the valve is getting prevented from working properly by calcium build-up or something? I have no idea whether the machine has been properly maintained by the previous owner.

Nothing seems to drip from the steam pipe, only the hot water when Iím pulling a shot.
    Sorry, you're quite right. Just checked on my machine. It's the hot water spout and the group head supply that are connected - not the steam wand.

Iím wondering if itís worth running some vinegar solution or cleaner through the hot water pipe in case the valve is getting prevented from working properly by calcium build-up or something? I have no idea whether the machine has been properly maintained by the previous owner.
    It's always worth a go! I'd try taking the hot water knob off and just tightening up things in there as well, though. Taking it apart is a big task, so would not go that far unless the dripping is really bothering you.