Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice reg Breville BES870 Barista Express

Advice reg Breville BES870 Barista Express

Dear Coffee Snobs...

I've got a BES870 coffee machine that comes with a burr grinder that has pre set dosing for single and double filter size, and the grind amount and size are adjustable.

For single shots, I set the grind amount to almost minimum, use the pre set dosing for single filter and use a single wall single shot filter. This gives me about 10 grams of ground coffee, filling the filter nicely and shots pulled under this set up is pretty good.

However for double shots, I find that under the same grind size and grind amount (almost minimal) settings, the pre set dosing for double shot produces too much ground coffee - it spills over the side. After tamping the coffee into the single wall double shot filter, I find that the coffee is under-extracted.

Questions:
    Does anyone have the same issue of the grinder producing too much ground coffee under the pre set settings for a double shot?
    Under the 'ideal' settings for a single shot (grind size, grind amount, consistent tamping), can I just use twice the amount of ground coffee in a double shot filter or do I still need to tweak the grind size and amount?

Thanks!
    Martismo likes this.

Hi Kopikau,

I'm a new member here too and I recently bought the same machine. I had exactly the same problem when I first started. I had some left over Vittoria beans which I had been using in my old fully automatic DeLonghi (don't get me started, for the amount I'd paid in repairs on that machine over 6 years, I could have had bought a much better machine, probably a few times over). Once I'd used all the old beans (and after reading a lot about it on here) I went out and bought some more recently roasted beans from Axil in Hawthorn. I found with the fresh beans; it was a lot easier to get the right amount and extraction. If you are using supermarket beans, I would suggest trying some freshly roasted. Hope this helps.

regards

Hi Linners

Thanks for your reply! Good to know there's another BES870 owner out there!

I use Artful Dodger beans so I guess they're not the issue here

I've dropped you a PM, would love to know about your experience with your machine.

Thanks again!

Hi Kopikau,

Thanks for the PM. I have been pretty happy with my machine so far (I've only had it a couple of weeks). As both my wife and I were used to a fully automatic; I wanted something that didn't break the bank, allowed some experimentation, but didn't have a steep learning curve so that my wife wouldn't be put off using because it was too complicated. I detest the idea of pods and the whole "experience" they try to sell (walk past any Nespresso store and see what I mean; I can't believe people buy into it). I had used an older, basic Breville 800 and had been pretty happy with it, but I wanted to have fresh beans; so the dosing grinder built in was good too (again, I didn't want the whole experience to be too complicated). I'll reply in more detail to your PM; I had a go at some double shots this morning.

regards

Linners73

I've been having the same problem since I got this machine a couple of weeks ago, and it has been a bit annoying because of the mess it made. The only solution I have come up with is to change the filter size to "single" and by playing around with the grind amount dial until I found the correct amount (which for me is roughly in the second most shaded area closer to "more". When I want a single shot I just set the dial back to the minimum amount.

Hey,

i have aver bought this machine and I am having trouble with extraction of the double basket. Seems to get no pressure and coming out real fast. I am grinding very finely and my tamp seems to be right. The machine is also over dosing even when set on minimum. I just can't seem to influence the dose or the extraction process regardless. Is the machine faulty?

Hi Carlstephen,

Have you tried the single basket? Do you still have the same issues? What beans are you using?

regards

Linners73

hi all,
    my wife and i bought the 870 a few weeks ago and have been tinkering with it for the best results.

Dose Settings:
    I started by following the instructions!! filled the double basket (a ridiculous amount came out and i had to stop it there was soo much spilling beyond the formed mound), tamped and then used "the blade" (grind setting was at 6). Extract ran through like water. Did the same again with a finer grind (4) ... tamped even harder and still ran through like water... pressure guage didn't get past pre-infusion!!

So realising that the instructions were useless I took matters into my own hand.

I now use a grind setting of 2.

I tamp with alot of pressue... they recommend about twice as much as you would use on a commercial machine and i do that with probably a smidge more. (they recommend 15 to 20 kgs of pressure - to understand roughly how much that is - use your hand to to get to that weight on bathroom scales)

For a double dose i use the 4th notch past 12 o'clock on the machine (I find the single and double selection button not that useful).

For a single dose I use between the 2nd and 3rd notch past 12 o'clock on the machine.

On occasion you'll need to drive the portafilter in with abit more force but, if it definitely doesn't want to go in don't force it. start again.

Tamping - I find that if you tamp and can visually see half of the silver edging from the tamp outside the top of the basket (for both single and double baskets) then you should:
    1. get a good extraction in the espresso range
    2. Be able to get it into the portafilter without too much trouble.

If the extraction is still week then tamp harder - ensuring that you still can see the half of the tamp outside the basket.

Remember to be ready to hit the extract button as soon as you put in the portafilter as the coffee will start to burn after a few seconds if left sitting in the machine.

once you're extracting ok the the results will depend on the beans... for some beans a mid range extract gives great results, on others we need to get to the high end of the range to get the flavour that comes close to equalling cafe style coffee.

on a side note i will say that we've been able to replicate cafe quality coffee with this machine - but we had to disregard their instructions.

Hope that can help you.

I understand that BES870 is the updated BES860 therefore the insides will be similar.

Take a look at:
    Breville BES860 underextracting a little.

Methods of adjusting the cogs that adjust fineness of the grinder on BES860 were developed and discussed by jolt, alias aussiebuddhah and I.

I have not been able to download the earlier posts mentioned as there were big changes made to this site.

I hope that this helps some of you to get better coffee out of your machines.

Barry

Vinny, I agree with you.
    Using the "blade" removes too much coffee and results in a fast extraction and a weak coffee. Like you said, you need to dose a little bit more and then apply a lot of pressure on the tamper to get close to the 30 sec extraction.
    I set the grind at 8 and the dose at the first notch after 12 o'clock - this works for both the single and double shots for me.
    Just for reference, I had a BES860 before and to get a 30 sec extraction you really had to tamper hard and fill the basket as full as you could. The BES870 has improved heaps on this but it still requires a bit of finessing.

The first BES870 I bought had a problem with the dose dial. You could move it from 11 to 3 o'clock with no effect on dose. I took the machine back to the store and they replaced it without fuss (The Good Guys). The new one works fine but I think Breville have set the minimum dosage too high on all the machines.

In summary though I'm extremely happy with my machine and can consistently produce great froth and excellent coffee.

Good to know I'm not alone!
    Ended up having to take the machine back due to the dosing issues (probable cause of grinder) and also the steaming wand started to play up - stopping half way through and the like.
    Had to call Breville and explain the issues prior to the retailer taking it back for a swap. It's a 12 month repair warranty but due to the young age of the machine (4 weeks) they gave me a reference number to give to David Jones and so i have my replacement on order.
    Similarly, happy with the machine and hope that the replacement behaves a little better.

VP

As an update: New machine behaves much more normal.
    Dosing, both single and double is working well, the 'blade' does make more sense now (although I don't really use it, but i can see how if you have issues with dosing, it could be handy).

Grinder also works well, currently on setting of 6.

Very happy with this machine!

Greetings All

My first post. Firstly my appreciation to the posters describing their experiences with this machine it helped me in making my decision on which machine to buy.

However, my experience with this machine has not been an entirely happy one.

Firstly, with the dose set at one o'clock, the (2 cup) portafilter overflows, wastes coffee and makes a mess (why on earth would you have the need to turn the dose all the way round to the eight o'clock position ? Once it's full, it's full)

The steamer runs out of grunt and stops after one jug of milk. This means forget about making flat whites for three or more people in a reasonable time. The manual states that the machine will automatically disable the steam function after 5 minutes of operation. I'm lucky to get 2 minutes!

With the grind setting at 5, a very very light tamp, the pour starts out very thin pour for about 10 seconds and then suddenly frees up and runs much freer for the rest of the pour. The pressure gauge remains in the "Ideal zone".

The machine makes much better coffee than my old Saeco Automatic, but it should be making even better coffee without the hassles if it performed to expectations as per the manual.

At the moment, after running through about 500 grams of beans, I'm disappointed with my decision. Anyone else having these issues (or resolved them)?

regards

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamE View Post
    Greetings All

My first post. Firstly my appreciation to the posters describing their experiences with this machine it helped me in making my decision on which machine to buy.

However, my experience with this machine has not been an entirely happy one.

Firstly, with the dose set at one o'clock, the (2 cup) portafilter overflows, wastes coffee and makes a mess (why on earth would you have the need to turn the dose all the way round to the eight o'clock position ? Once it's full, it's full)

The steamer runs out of grunt and stops after one jug of milk. This means forget about making flat whites for three or more people in a reasonable time. The manual states that the machine will automatically disable the steam function after 5 minutes of operation. I'm lucky to get 2 minutes!

With the grind setting at 5, a very very light tamp, the pour starts out very thin pour for about 10 seconds and then suddenly frees up and runs much freer for the rest of the pour. The pressure gauge remains in the "Ideal zone".

The machine makes much better coffee than my old Saeco Automatic, but it should be making even better coffee without the hassles if it performed to expectations as per the manual.

At the moment, after running through about 500 grams of beans, I'm disappointed with my decision. Anyone else having these issues (or resolved them)?

regards

Graham
    I don't have any problems with steam so it sounds like you may have an issue there, best give Breville customer service a ring or just exchange it and tell them you're not satisfied with its performance.
    As for the dosing I always have a huge mound on the 2 cup setting on minimum setting, this settles with a couple of firm taps on the counter. I even tried supermarket beans to check if the dose altered and with old beans I don't need to go past 3 o'clock. Don't try this, the coffee is yuck. Not that I use it much, but the 1 cup dose behaves much better. You could try 2 one cup doses to see if that would give a better dose or stop it yourself manually. Also try some different roasts.
    What part of the ideal zone are you in? it's a huge area and the best results come from the 12 to 1 o'clock area just before the last shaded grey bar, taste it and see.
    I think you should be grinding finer and/or tamping a bit harder and aiming for the sweet spot on the pressure gauge.
    Without doubt it's a finicky machine. Once you get used to it you'll make great lattes, but forget about it as an espresso machine.

Hi Brevillista

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Today I set the grind to 7 and tamped a little heavier. I think I'm getting close to the sweet spot as the flow came out much better.

however, according to the Extraction Guide that came with the machine I'm not there yet.

For example, the guide states (under the heading Correct Extraction ) ... Flow starts 4-7 seconds and will take 25-35 seconds. Under the heading for Over Extraction it states ... Flow starts after 8 seconds and extraction will take more than 40 seconds.

The cups this morning were somewhere in between. The flow took 10-11 seconds to start and the extraction was around 20 seconds.

I'm resigned to having the ground coffee overflow from the portafilter as I don't think this can be avoided ( at the end of the day it's not a significant amount)

I'll contact Breville regarding the problem with the steamer.

Thanks again for your help

cheers

Aza
    Hi all
    Just looking for a bit of advice with this machine, and I am new to espressos in general.
    To try and get my shots as good as possible I have been weighing the coffee used and also the finished espresso.

I have been using 16g of coffee for a double shot, trying to achieve a 32g espresso.
    However my espresso ends up more like 60g, even though my pressure gauge is in the ideal range at 12 o'clock.

What adjustments should I be looking to do, to keep the pressure correct but reduce the weight of the finished espresso?

Thanks for any advice

Hello Aza,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Watch Phil McKnight from Breville demonstrate the machine on:
    the Barista Express

Aim to get your pour to between 25-30 seconds. To reduce flow, grind finer.

Barry

Aza
    Thanks Barry, I shall keep experimenting.

Well, I decided to clean the grinder as per the manual. Easy to take apart and reassemble. Got every sneaky grind out and thought 'wow, this should be great!'... that was until I fired it up.

I now cannot get a find grind, even on the max setting. I disassembled and reassembled again, carefully putting the grinder back as per the manual. Again, no fine grind, even on '1'. Just a lot of ugly gushers that meant I burnt through a fair bit of fresh beans.

Any advice? Particularly from anyone who cleaned their 870's grinder? To be honest, nothing has happened that I can see, except the grinder is much cleaner. Prior to cleaning, I was using 1-2 with great success. Now I can't get a decent grind.

Hi Guys

Just wondering how everyone is going with this machine, I'm a new member and just purchased one and had a few attempts last night.

I find with the single basket I need to dose on the lowest setting and it gives me 10g but I have tried several grind types and I can't seem to get the pour near 25secs+ more closer to 12secs.
    Is the 25secs for single and double basket??

I've been watching a few youtube vids and I notice no one gets close to 25sec pours..
    Unfortunately I dont have a bathroom scale to test my tamp pressure but was wondering if I might improve by lowering my grind (currently 6) and increasing my dose for the single?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dionysus32 View Post
    Hi Guys

Just wondering how everyone is going with this machine, I'm a new member and just purchased one and had a few attempts last night.

I find with the single basket I need to dose on the lowest setting and it gives me 10g but I have tried several grind types and I can't seem to get the pour near 25secs+ more closer to 12secs.
    Is the 25secs for single and double basket??

I've been watching a few youtube vids and I notice no one gets close to 25sec pours..
    Unfortunately I dont have a bathroom scale to test my tamp pressure but was wondering if I might improve by lowering my grind (currently 6) and increasing my dose for the single?

Thanks

Firstly you'd be better off stating a new thread instead of hijacking a tired old thread.

As has been mentioned many times on this forum forget the single basket, at least until you can perfect the double. I very rarely use the single, however, I find that 3 or 4 clicks coarser than with the double generally works with a single basket, but it's a pita switching between the two and it's not the greatest grinder for precision. anyway.

Welcome Dionysus.

I would have thought that the post was in exactly the right thread, which is neither old nor tired, or hijacked.

There are hundreds of duplicate threads on CS, started for no useful reason but which make collation and searching more complex.

Brevillista is correct tho' in saying that 'single dose' filters are cantankerous and seldom used.

A lot of CS's put their blind filter for back flushing in their single spout p/f.

Why not introduce yourself here:

Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me! ?

The BES 870 Barista Express should have its own owners thread imho as it's quite a popular machine and any information on this model is all over the place in his forum.

Thanks guys..

Last night I think I had a break through, made a coffee using Goodness Galileo beans from Coffee Alchemy with the double basket while manually dosing and took my time to try get it perfect. Previously I was trying to get the silver ring of the tamp just inside or level with the porta filter but since my pours were coming up short and I thought my grind was good I filled the basket a little more so that you could see the silver tamp ring just above the porta filter after tamping slightly harder.

Result was a 28sec pour with great crema, after pouring my milk I had a taste and it was probably one of the best coffees I've ever had (maybe I need to buy my coffees from a new cafe). It really opened my eyes to what this coffee should taste like as I definitely tasted the choc and nuts described with this bean.

Now the hard part is replicating this every time.

Now the hard part is replicating this every time.
    insert....."the fun part"!! :-D ;-)

Doesn't come much better than a coffee epiphany!

Another thing I've found with this machine is that when you double dose and set the dial to 12-1 oclock you would think that it grinds too much bean, what I have found though is if you shake the porta filter up and down while it's dosing it fills a lot better and it easier to distribute and require less tamping pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ElShauno View Post
    Well, I decided to clean the grinder as per the manual. Easy to take apart and reassemble. Got every sneaky grind out and thought 'wow, this should be great!'... that was until I fired it up.

I now cannot get a find grind, even on the max setting. I disassembled and reassembled again, carefully putting the grinder back as per the manual. Again, no fine grind, even on '1'. Just a lot of ugly gushers that meant I burnt through a fair bit of fresh beans.

Any advice? Particularly from anyone who cleaned their 870's grinder? To be honest, nothing has happened that I can see, except the grinder is much cleaner. Prior to cleaning, I was using 1-2 with great success. Now I can't get a decent grind.
    Hey man! I had the exact same problem, ans I have no idea how to fix it. I was wondering if you managed to fix the problem and have any ideas on how to help me?

Give Breville a call and ask them to send you a pack of shims for the grinder.

Remove the upper burr and install the 1mm + 0.1mm (or whatever the thinnest one is that they give you) shims.
    Test it out, you should be able to grind fine enough for a good shot on 3-4 on the grinder dial. Adjust shims accordingly to get to a point close to that.

I donít think you can use shims on the BES870 to make it grind finer. I had a BES860 with grinder problems.

I understand that BES870 is the updated BES860 therefore the insides will be similar.

There is discussion about adjustment of the grinder earlier in this string and also at:
    Breville BES860 underextracting a little.

Barry

Nah they're pretty different. Key difference is that the 870 uses the grinder guts out of a Smart Grinder and so adjustments are the same as you would perform on a Smart grinder.
    Remove upper burr and install shims, exactly the same as the Smart Grinder. I spent half my life adjusting 860 grinders so i'm glad Breville changed it on the 870.

Other changes from the BES860 include proper low pressure preinfusion, hot water tap, improved heat up time and performance and improved reliability of the solenoids.
    The 860's blow the pump outlet o-ring and crack the high pressure side of the 3 way solenoid. Also, the mating of the nylon hose into the steam control block was not brilliant so it leaked a small amount, enough to corrode and ensure that you will never get the hose out without breaking it.

The 870 has resolved pretty much all of these and seems to be a pretty reliable and well thought out machine. The 870 is what the 860 should have been, but like all first models and revisions from appliance manufacturers, there are many problems.

Noidle, I was unaware of what changes were made between the 860 and 870.

I had an 860 and changed the grinder to grind finer by taking the lid off and adjusting the cogs.

I now use a BES900 and Smart Grinder and have added a shim.

To add a shim you have to remove the lower burr. The nut holding the lower burr in has a left hand thread. Turn it clockwise to remove it.

Grinding your coffee fine enough makes all the difference to the flavour.

Enjoy your coffee.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    The BES 870 Barista Express should have its own owners thread imho as it's quite a popular machine and any information on this model is all over the place in his forum.
    I agree, unless I search the thread title only I get sooooo many results its not worth looking through.

Another thing I've found with this machine is that when you double dose and set the dial to 12-1 oclock you would think that it grinds too much bean, what I have found though is if you shake the porta filter up and down while it's dosing it fills a lot better and it easier to distribute and require less tamping pressure.
    +1 Gently jiggling the portafilter as the dose is falling really helps a lot.

Thanks guys..

Last night I think I had a break through, made a coffee using Goodness Galileo beans from Coffee Alchemy with the double basket while manually dosing and took my time to try get it perfect. Previously I was trying to get the silver ring of the tamp just inside or level with the portafilter but since my pours were coming up short and I thought my grind was good I filled the basket a little more so that you could see the silver tamp ring just above the portafilter after tamping slightly harder.
    Interesting you say that as I found that I had too much in the basket and that my tamper now sits with the top black edge (were it starts to taper up to the tamper handle) being flush with the basket after tamping.

The way I worked to this conclusion was: Dosing, tamping then using the razor to adjust the amount (I saw a video that said to use the razor after you tamp). After amount was adjusted I sat the tamper in the basket and it was level to the top edge of the tamper.

I now aim for this without having to use the razor. Shots were more consistently in the optimum range on the gage. I was skeptical of the razor but It is surprisingly useful as it has been designed for this specific machine.

Also I had good results with single and double basket!

Will post the video if I find it again.

Last edited by waza; 1st January 2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added video

Quote Originally Posted by waza View Post
    The way I worked to this conclusion was: Dosing, tamping then using the razor to adjust the amount (I saw a video that said to use the razor after you tamp). After amount was adjusted I sat the tamper in the basket and it was level to the top edge of the tamper.

I now aim for this without having to use the razor. Shots were more consistently in the optimum range on the gage. I was skeptical of the razor but It is surprisingly useful as it has been designed for this specific machine.

Also I had good results with single and double basket!
    Since then I've tried 2 other types of coffee beans and unfortunately I have learnt each bean is unique as the other beans I tried required different grind setting and hence different dose and tamps.

I haven't tried the razor.

Yes I should receive my sample pack today from coffee snobs so I too will probably have to play around a bit more. All part of the fun I guess.

I just bought this BES870 too,,,as far as the shots wise single or double its been really good, i don't have problems as long as we use fresh coffee beans ( i find it supermarket coffee beans is hideous even tho i bought the 250gr). But I never used the automatic dosing as I always dosing it manually. the reason is so i don't create a lot of mess of coffee ground. After that I used the razor to create a good shots too, and off course the right tamping. I use 4 or 5 level of fine.
    waza likes this.

I've had one for 8 months. I find the beans make the most difference - decent fresh beans, grinder set to three and gently tamped produce a great coffee.

my top tip is to manually operate the extraction - hold the button down for the low pressure extraction until the coffee dribbles, then let go and let the pressure go up to about 3/4 of the range.

Hello Everyone,

I just recently bought a BES870 Barista Express since I wanted to start making coffee at home. I read the reviews and found that it's pretty good machine for its price range. I dont have much experience in coffee making. The only experience I have is an accredited barista school certificate and they pretty much taught me that I have to balance between the grinder setting, tamper and the amount of grinded coffee bean to get the best brew within 30 sec - 30ml.

Since this is a different machine from school, I read the manual and it said that i should start the grinder at 5 and the amount dispensed is at 3 o'clock. It said that for one shot, it should be between 10g - 12g, have at least 15-20kg of pressure when tamped and the shot time should go between 25-35 sec and should start at like 5-7 sec.

I used the default setting and to no luck, It was still under extracted so I tried changing the grind setting to make it finer, but I still yielded the same result. I changed it to the most finest/coarse setting and its still doing nothing, its still under extracted. Is it the coffee bean? I've noticed that when tampered, its still powdery. What can I do? What's wrong? When I went to the coffee school, when I tamped it, it felt so compact.

I also have a problem with the dosing, why does it give out so much at the lowest setting? When I do the double shot, its literally overflowing. Whats wrong? I'll try to take a picture aand update you guys as soon as I can.

Anyways, any help woud be nice guys.

Bought the same machine as a Chrissy present for myself. I've been keeping a spreadsheet re settings and coffee. I tried using the recommended settings and had problems.

I found that I needed the grinder on 3 and the dose almost all the way anticlockwise to the "less" mark to get close to the mark so I decided to manually measure the beans and grind grams so I could get the grind, pressure, time and coffee delivered correct, then go back and set the dose control.

I found the 18g is ideal for the beans I'm using (put in 18g beans and it delivers 18g of grinds - within 0.2g)

I have the grinder set on 3, I measure in 18g beans to the hopper and manual grind into the 2 cup filter until all beans are ground - just hold the portafilter in to keep the micro switch depressed. I tamped and checked with the Razor (I now have it so no coffee grinds are removed with the razor and it just touches the surface). I get approx 9 secs from hitting the 2 cup button until the coffee comes out and get a total delivery time of 29 to 31 secs. The pressure gauge sits at 12 oClock (6th division on the gauge scale) and I get a great delivery with a lovely crema.

Now I know 18g is the correct amount for this bean, I'll start adjusting the dose control to get 18g.

I'm hoping that the automatic dosing is consistent once I have it set correctly.

good luck- it's a great machine.
    Last edited by lappa; 15th January 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Forget about the doser it always over doses, even on the minimum setting. Hence lots of waste and your beans will and stale in the hopper with the heat too.
    Weigh your beans, I use 18 grams for the double basket, then tamp at the same pressure for each shot and you only have the grind setting to change.

Quote Originally Posted by lappa View Post
    I found the 18g is ideal for the beans I'm using (put in 18g beans and it delivers 18g of grinds - within 0.2g)

Is that for a dual short or a single? Plus what coffee beans do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTheCorrosion View Post
    Is that for a dual short or a single? Plus what coffee beans do you use?
    Thats in the 2 cup basket and then the 2 cup delivery button selected. I use Sumatran beans
    Last edited by lappa; 15th January 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTheCorrosion View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I just recently bought a BES870 Barista Express since I wanted to start making coffee at home. I read the reviews and found that it's pretty good machine for its price range. I dont have much experience in coffee making. The only experience I have is an accredited barista school certificate and they pretty much taught me that I have to balance between the grinder setting, tamper and the amount of grinded coffee bean to get the best brew within 30 sec - 30ml.

Since this is a different machine from school, I read the manual and it said that i should start the grinder at 5 and the amount dispensed is at 3 o'clock. It said that for one shot, it should be between 10g - 12g, have at least 15-20kg of pressure when tamped and the shot time should go between 25-35 sec and should start at like 5-7 sec.

I used the default setting and to no luck, It was still under extracted so I tried changing the grind setting to make it finer, but I still yielded the same result. I changed it to the most finest/coarse setting and its still doing nothing, its still under extracted. Is it the coffee bean? I've noticed that when tampered, its still powdery. What can I do? What's wrong? When I went to the coffee school, when I tamped it, it felt so compact.

I also have a problem with the dosing, why does it give out so much at the lowest setting? When I do the double shot, its literally overflowing. Whats wrong? I'll try to take a picture aand update you guys as soon as I can.

Anyways, any help woud be nice guys.
    I had the same problem with a particular bean, try dosing slightly more so when you tamp the silver ring is just above the basket, if you still have an issue tamp a little harder.

As for it dosing too much I jiggle the handle up and down and side to side to even our the dose then as the basket gets full I tilt it slightly backwards so it doesn't spill out.

This normally works when grinding on 2-3 and dose on 12 o'clock on double.

Hi guys,

Thought I would check with other 870 users... I am having a problem with my double basket getting stuck up under the group head when removing the porta-filter from my machine.

It's not every time but it happens enough that its starting to annoy the heck out of me.

It's worse when it happens after pulling a shot and if not carefully removed it can leave a big mess as you can imagine!

Any one else having the same issue?

Must admit the single basket hasn't gotten nearly as much use as the double but I haven't experienced it with the single.

Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    Forget about the doser it always over doses, even on the minimum setting. Hence lots of waste and your beans will and stale in the hopper with the heat too.
    Do you think this is something Breville should be looking at fixing. It seems everyone is having this issue...

There well may be things that need "fixing" on Breville machines, however I would suggest that it would behoove Breville users to make themselves familiar with their machines idiosyncrasies and learn to work with them, instead of expecting the machine to nurse them through the process from beginning to end, it simply ain't gonna happen.

All espresso machines have peculiarities, them that learn to live with them make great coffee, them that cant adapt are destined to a life of coffee mediocrity.
    ElShauno and Erimus like this.

I would think Breville already know that dosing is a pita, so to overcome this a handy dosing razor is included, ok if you're not concerned wasting a lot of coffee.
    For anyone serious about making good espresso the beans must be weighed and that is you're starting point with this machine, 18 grams in the double basket, a consistent tamp pressure and get the grind somewhere near the ideal zone on the gauge. Me myself, I do not tamp at anywhere near the recommended force. Breville say anywhere in the grey, area which is just not true. The ideal zone is around 12 to 1 'O' Clock. Once you get to this area with the grind, one click finer or coarser is not really sensitive enough to impact and then this is when you can start to experiment with either tamp pressure, or weight and see which way the gauge moves and of course tasting. I think varying the tamp pressure is the first factor to isolate once you have the grind somewhere close.

Hi guys,

Thought I would check with other 870 users... I am having a problem with my double basket getting stuck up under the group head when removing the porta-filter from my machine.

It's not every time but it happens enough that its starting to annoy the heck out of me.

It's worse when it happens after pulling a shot and if not carefully removed it can leave a big mess as you can imagine!

Any one else having the same issue?

Must admit the single basket hasn't gotten nearly as much use as the double but I haven't experienced it with the single.
    I've had the same problem but only with the dual wall baskets. Single wall baskets have been fine (touch wood).

BTW I bought the dual wall baskets as I wanted to try some already ground coffee.

I only used the razor initially to get the right tamping pressure and it certainly helped. As I said early, 3 on the grinder, 18g beans, tamp (I tamp fairly heavily) and I get 12 O'clock on the gauge and a great coffee.

However, I do still use the razor on the dual wall baskets with pre ground coffee. There's no waste as the excess goes back into the container.

BTW I was speaking to Breville re their recommended shot times (was the recommended pre infusion time included in the recommended shot time etc.?) and I asked about the grinder shim kits and if they were needed for the BES87. He said only if I couldn't get the grind fine enough or to counter burr wear as it occurs during use. He sent me one FOC in case I ever needed it.
    Last edited by lappa; 18th January 2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    There well may be things that need "fixing" on Breville machines, however I would suggest that it would behoove Breville users to make themselves familiar with their machines idiosyncrasies and learn to work with them, instead of expecting the machine to nurse them through the process from beginning to end, it simply ain't gonna happen.

All espresso machines have peculiarities, them that learn to live with them make great coffee, them that cant adapt are destined to a life of coffee mediocrity.
    Funny you say that as I see no other major issues that need "fixing" with the machine. By learning the machines "idiosyncrasies" (aka non functioning feature) you are suggesting manually dose every time. I don't find it unreasonable to expect a greater degree of control with this feature. As far as nursing users through the process that's certainly not what I am expecting.

Funny you say that as I see no other major issues that need "fixing" with the machine. By learning the machines "idiosyncrasies" (aka non functioning feature) you are suggesting manually dose every time. I don't find it unreasonable to expect a greater degree of control with this feature. As far as nursing users through the process that's certainly not what I am expecting.
    The dosing control mentioned is an interesting feature and one I initially tried using then went to manual dosing. I went to manual for 2 reasons;

1) lack of accuracy perceived in my haste to get a good coffee ��. Now that I know 18g is the dose required, I will try to "dial the doser in". I'll keep a spreadsheet and report back later. In the meantime I would be interested in hearing of other makes of combination machines or even grinders that you can press a button and get an accurate dose into a basket (within 0.3g) and if so, their cost.

2) having beans sitting around in a translucent hopper went I only have 4 cups a day max.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast