Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rancilio Silvia and meCoffee PID

Quote Originally Posted by thevanisher01 View Post
    Hi guys
    I just installed the mecoffee PID and pulled some shots. I noticed a drop in temperature during the shot from the set temperature of 103C to about 95C. Do I have the wrong settings or is it just impossible to stabilize the temperature during the shot?
    That should be normal as the pump is pushing in cold water from the tank.

Anybody have updated settings?

Hi guys newbie here, also new to installing PID's so i'm hoping for a little heads up. I've been successful in fitting the PID all the way to step 7(steam control) Am i right in thinking that the grey cable i used in step 4 is to be unplugged from the grey cable from brew therm and now plugged into the yellow cable from steam therm, then connect the grey brew therm cable to terminal 7 and thats it !!
    many many thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by stuarthonda1 View Post
    Hi guys newbie here, also new to installing PID's so i'm hoping for a little heads up. I've been successful in fitting the PID all the way to step 7(steam control) Am i right in thinking that the grey cable i used in step 4 is to be unplugged from the grey cable from brew therm and now plugged into the yellow cable from steam therm, then connect the grey brew therm cable to terminal 7 and thats it !!
    many many thanks for any help.
    I have also just finished installing meCoffee on my Silvia. I left the grey brew thermostat cable unconnected. Instead, I connected the grey cable from steam thermostat to terminal #7. Having said that, I think it would not make any difference (since they are the same cable).

This setup is working fine on my Silvia so far.

Just letting everyone know in case anyone is also wondering about the same issue....

I found that the "Boiler %" on the UI is not responding (staying at 0%) when in Steam mode. I initially thought there was something wrong with my installation, so I emailed Jan (@ meCoffee) to ask about it, but then he confirmed that it is in fact caused by a bug in the app (so my installation is actually all good! ).

Btw, I took a lot of photos when I did the install so let me know if anyone is having difficulty with the install. One of my photos might be able to help you...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzleg View Post
    J

Btw, I took a lot of photos when I did the install so let me know if anyone is having difficulty with the install. One of my photos might be able to help you...
    please share the photos as i would be needing them just tomorrow

Hi guys has anybody mecoffee connected as timer?There is installation manual step9 but seems to be made for older sylvia.I have V5 which turns off after 30min so i dont have anything connected to power button but to brew button so i quite confused how to do it.I emailed them to give me some help with installation but didnt get answer

It isn't very straight forward to get v4e/v5 Silvia switching remotely due to the negative switching arrangement of the auto shut down device.

I do however have my v4e/5 Silvia switching via a WiFi/timer socket....

If anyone requires more info on this I'm happy to help......

@Aloosh, I thought I'd reply to your PM here in case anyone else is facing the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloosh
    Hi there,

Sorry to trouble you but I just wanted to ask you a question regarding your correspondence with Jan @Mecoffee. In short, I purchased a Mecoffee PID and somewhere during the installation there was a loud bang and a component (or components) was fried. That was just under 3 weeks ago and since then I've emailed 4 times and also tried using the contact form on the website but haven't had a response.

I wanted to know roughly when you made contact (to see if he's been in the office during this time) and also how you made contact. I've been using the info@mecoffee.nl address- is that what you have?

To be honest it feels like I'm being ignored, and whether the response was a) Oh, it sounds like a component failed; or b) That sounds like user error; at least I'd be on my way to a resolution.

Sorry for the lengthy message,

Ali
    Yes, I contacted meCoffee / Jan using the same email address, i.e. info@mecoffee.nl

I have sent him 2 queries so far, and Jan responded to both within a week's time. Maybe I was quite lucky. I understand from reading other forums that Jan can be somewhat 'selective' in responding to customer queries. Not the best customer service, but have to admit that the price we pay for the kit isn't exactly premium.

If you share your problem here, some savvy fellow CoffeeSnobbers might be able to help...

Quote Originally Posted by greymda View Post
    please share the photos as i would be needing them just tomorrow
    Sorry I only just saw this. How did you go with the installation? Any particular step you are having difficulty?

should of mention that i've installed meCofee the day after that
    no probs, i am trying now to correlate the PID temperature and water coming out of the group. if someone has done it, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzleg View Post
    @Aloosh, I thought I'd reply to your PM here in case anyone else is facing the same issue.

Yes, I contacted meCoffee / Jan using the same email address, i.e. info@mecoffee.nl

I have sent him 2 queries so far, and Jan responded to both within a week's time. Maybe I was quite lucky. I understand from reading other forums that Jan can be somewhat 'selective' in responding to customer queries. Not the best customer service, but have to admit that the price we pay for the kit isn't exactly premium.

If you share your problem here, some savvy fellow CoffeeSnobbers might be able to help...
    Thanks @jazzleg

My pcb and one or two of the components are well and truly fried, and probably beyond help from the bunch on this forum. Still I welcome any advice!

You're right about the non-premium price point... I'm up to 6 emails over the past 4 weeks with no reply, as well as trying to make contact via the query form on the website. At this point a reply email telling me to go away would give me greater satisfaction than what I've gotten.

My mecoffee arrived and I have started the setup. I have attached the correct cables but there is no bluetooth. Im running Chrome on a 2016 Macbook Pro. Have loaded the app from the store and the me coffee is not showing up under bluetooth devices.
    My unit does not have the connections numbered on the box either which makes it difficult to know which end of the box the black and red cables attach to.
    Any advice. Have tried to contact info@mecoffee.nl but no response so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Smess1210 View Post
    It isn't very straight forward to get v4e/v5 Silvia switching remotely due to the negative switching arrangement of the auto shut down device.

I do however have my v4e/5 Silvia switching via a WiFi/timer socket....

If anyone requires more info on this I'm happy to help......
    Hi can i ask you how can i turn it on remotly(i have V5)and ordered wifi/4g switch

Have a look at this thread on uk coffee forums....
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

SILVIA E 2016 - Disable auto shut off
    bandolero57 likes this.

Hey all,

Just received my meCoffee, and like I saw in a post at the beginning of this thread, my room temperature is reading about 200 C !

I have checked the cables, and they are connected the right way (not inverted, like in rayuki's case).

Has anyone had this happen?

I do not have a Silvia, but I have installed a simple Ebay PID and SSR into a Gaggia Classic that only cost me $40 and it is still going strong after 4yrs. I have read this post with great interest as these systems with more sophisticated microprocessors appear to have great potential. Especially the potential to control the pressure during shot cycle.
    The mecoffee does appear to have great potential but from reading the posts the reliability appears to be a major issue. Looking at the photo of the unit circuit board it appears that they are only using a mosfet to switch the power rather than a solid state relay (even though SSRs use mosfets), this could be the reason for the reliability issue. My question is, has anyone used the mecoffee unit to control an external SSR and see if that improves the reliability. 4 years ago when you could only get simple PIDs it was standard to use an external 25amp SSR to manage the high current required for the heating element to ensure reliability. Just a thought!!!

Please disregard my previous post. I watched a video of the mecoffee on youtube and the mecoffee controller appears throttle the power, rather than pulse full power burst to control the heating element. Hence an external SSR will not work with mecoffee controller.

Hi. If you still have photos of your install, I would like to see them.
    Thanks

Just finished installing the PID and it's working as it should.
    Do you mind sharing your best settings? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezorrilla View Post
    Just finished installing the PID and it's working as it should.
    Do you mind sharing your best settings? Thanks
    Sorry haven't checked back this thread for some time. The following settings work well for me (i.e. the temperature stabilises within +/-0.4deg of target temperature in 1 minute) much better than the default settings:
    P - 21
    I - 2
    D - 150
    Integral wind-down limit - 2000 (although I'm still not quite sure how much effect does this parameter have)

Let me know how you go...
    matth3wh likes this.

Thanks. I'll try your settings. Right now I'm experimenting. Will let you know how it goes. Anyway, between the PID and a burr grinder my 15 year old Silvia has a new lease on life.
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ezorrilla View Post
    Thanks. I'll try your settings. Right now I'm experimenting. Will let you know how it goes. Anyway, between the PID and a burr grinder my 15 year old Silvia has a new lease on life.
    Agreed. I, too, can't really find a lot of good reasons to upgrade my Silvia now.
    ezorrilla likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2