Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mstrelan

Thread: BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

My BDB has worked great for the past four years but now has a small steam leak and I'd like to replace the ball valve assy and in fact ordered one from eReplacementParts.com in the US. However, I was just notified by them that this assy is on backorder with no ETA. Does anyone know where else I can get one?

I'm in the same boat. Ordered one from there and it now says Discontinued. I've contacted Forum Home Appliances in Vancouver, BC as they have this part listed on their site as "Special Order". Will let you know their response.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrelan View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Ordered one from there and it now says Discontinued. I've contacted Forum Home Appliances in Vancouver, BC as they have this part listed on their site as "Special Order". Will let you know their response.
    Yeah, I feel as though it was a popular replacement part and therefore repair revenue was lost and the only recourse was to list it as discontinued. Now we have to send our machines back to the factory for something that was easily replaced at home. I don't mind sending my machine back EXCEPT that I was told by the Tech that my only recourse was to send it back and they would diagnose and repair. I could not tell them what I thought was wrong or ask them to replace certain parts that I know need replaced. This really burns my a$$.
    I can see a situation where I send it back, they charge me the $350, it comes back and some of the parts that need replaced, were not replaced. I really like the BDB but am now searching for a different replacement.

Let me know what you find out.

A refurbished BDB sold on "a popular auction site" this evening for $275. Would've been great for spares.

A refurbished BDB sold on "a popular auction site" this evening for $275. Would've been great for spares.
    Though temping, it is somewhat risky as you never know what you're gonna get with a used machine. There's always a reason someone is willing to let it go. BTW, I did find the steam ball valve assy, one in NZ and one in Australia. Both companies were willing to sell it to me but you can imagine the cost for it to arrive at my door. Breville Australia is happy to sell it to me but they cannot ship it to me?!? I'd have to find a way to get it. The NZ company was called Need A Part (needapart.co.nz). Their supplier is an Australian company...Hmm, wonder who that might me :-) Cost was $84 NZ dollars and another 40 for shipping.

Just saw your location was New York, otherwise I was going to say we could combine shipping

FWIW my friend took apart the leaky ball valve assembly and replaced some part of it with a bigger o-ring than what was already in place. This seems to have worked perfectly for now.

An update for anyone else who might have the same issue. I ended up calling Breville on 1300 139 798 who had no hesitation to sell me the parts I needed. $10 flat rate shipping. Ended up getting the Ball Valve Complete Kit, Bracket for Ball Valve, Holder for Ball Valve Assembly and Steam Dial Actuator for about $85.
    WiredArabica likes this.

Help disassembling the steam ball valve

FWIW my friend took apart the leaky ball valve assembly and replaced some part of it with a bigger o-ring than what was already in place. This seems to have worked perfectly for now.
    Sorry to be so late chiming in on this thread, but I'm trying to fix a leak in my machine (920XL), and I can't figure out how to take apart the ball valve (or even how to just remove it from where it is in the machine). Can anyone tell me how, or link me to directions? Thanks!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Sorry to be so late chiming in on this thread, but I'm trying to fix a leak in my machine (920XL), and I can't figure out how to take apart the ball valve (or even how to just remove it from where it is in the machine). Can anyone tell me how, or link me to directions? Thanks!

Jim
    Yep, bound to happen sooner or later.. .. its easy to get the ball valve assy out of the machine and with a couple wrenches, you can take the ball valve apart. You will need a medium and a small philips head screw driver, a small star screwdriver (even a small flat blade may take the star screws out), needle nose pliers and adjustable wrenches.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The post only allows me to attach five pix, so the other two will be in my next post.

Martino

Here are the last two pix.. .. from start to finish, it shouldn't take more than 30 min to pull the valve out of the machine. From that point on, it depends on what you see wrong and what you want to do.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Martino

Thanks so much, Martino. This was enormously helpful. The pictures are excellent. Where did you get that 2nd picture in your first post, with the cutaway view? (I assume you didn't cut your BDB in half!)

So, now I'm trying to decide whether to complete the tear down now -- without a replacement valve on hand -- or order the valve and wait (I can only seem to find one from an Australian company for $115 AUD -- about $90 USD). My leak appears to be coming from where the plastic on off lever connects to the body of the valve. Is there an o-ring there that I can replace (I was hoping it would be something like that)? If there's no replaceable seal, I'm worried about taking it apart until I have the replacement valve (we have coffee every morning right now -- albeit with a drip/leak -- and I don't want to jeopardize that). Let me know whether you think I can fix the leak, or if you would advise waiting until I have a replacement valve on hand.

Thanks again for the fast help and great pictures.

Jim

Hi Jim,
    I realized when I went searching for my pix, that I hadn't taken them with the idea of helping others in mind :-( so I didn't have a couple that I thought would help you so I went fishing on the internet to find that cut away view.

Well, I take it your machine is leaking water inside, right? Mine wasn't, it was just dripping from the steam wand, which when positioned over the drip tray, who cares all that much. If yours is leaking inside the machine, that's a diff story, though there's not much going on under that valve, just a bunch of plastic. As to whether to tear it apart now or wait till parts are in hand, I would guess that depends on how much its leaking and whether you still use the machine, which you said you did.

If it were me, I would probably stuff a sponge or paper towels under the leak, leave the top cover unbolted so I could remove it when needed to replace the paper towels or squeeze out the sponge. This would allow me to continue using the machine till parts arrived.

Here's a Canadian replacement parts site to add to your collection of where to source parts from. I don't know where you live or if this site ships internationally. This link will take you to the steam ball valve for the 900XL. It appears to look just like the one in the 920. However, they seem to be out of stock right now!

https://www.forumappliances.com/breville-ball-valve-complete-kit-for-bes900xl/

I really don't remember if there's an o-ring in the area you asked about but my guess would be yes. BTW, I forgot to mention that in order to pull off the plastic steam lever, you first have to pull off the gray round cover, that is the one that you pull directly off, not the entire chromed lever. Once the gray round cover is off, you will see three small screws you will need to remove. See this pic.. ..

8.jpg

Great advice, all of it. I'm going to do exactly as you say. I called Forum Appliances and spoke to Tracy, who was very helpful. She double checked and found that they had two in stock, and I ordered one already. She updated the website, so if anyone else wants one for their "stock" for the BDB, there is one more there.

I was able to pry the plastic cap off the end of the steam lever (for those coming after, I stuck small flat head screwdrivers into the gaps on either side of there the steam lever goes into the middle of the cap, and pulled it right off).

I am doing exactly as you suggested (already had paper towels in there to catch the drip), and will just leave the cover off until early next week, when parts should be here. In the meantime, the wife and I will be happy to have our cappuccinos and lattes every day. I live for them.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Great advice, all of it. I'm going to do exactly as you say. I called Forum Appliances and spoke to Tracy, who was very helpful. She double checked and found that they had two in stock, and I ordered one already. She updated the website, so if anyone else wants one for their "stock" for the BDB, there is one more there.

I was able to pry the plastic cap off the end of the steam lever (for those coming after, I stuck small flat head screwdrivers into the gaps on either side of there the steam lever goes into the middle of the cap, and pulled it right off).

I am doing exactly as you suggested (already had paper towels in there to catch the drip), and will just leave the cover off until early next week, when parts should be here. In the meantime, the wife and I will be happy to have our cappuccinos and lattes every day. I live for them.

Jim

Great! Lucky you. So where are you located?

Here is the BES920XL parts breakdown.....you can see your steam ball valve is part 9.6 which I believe in Breville terms is BES920/09.6 and the one for the 900 was BES900/9.6. That valve gets a good workout for those who steam milk, like you and I do.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Yes, very lucky. I was about to order it from Australia for twice the price (and probably 5 times longer delivery time). I am in Marin County, California, just north of San Francisco. I had already tried to order it from Forum online (and entered my email in the "notify when available" box, since the website said they were out of stock), but just thought I should call to double check. This serves as a reminder that, despite becoming reliant on the web and email to do everything, sometimes you have to pick up the phone and talk to a real human.

Looking at the parts diagram, I wonder whether I also need 9.4, since it's at the connection of 9.4 witth the valve itself where my drip/leak is occurring. But Forum didn't have it, and I'm hoping it won't be necessary. The leak is likely from the valve itself (Tracy, from Forum, said they have never had orders for 9.4, and they've had tons of orders for 9.6, so I think I'll be good).

Thanks again, Martino, for your generous help. At a time when I am disappointed in a lot of things, you (and the others on these coffee forums who graciously offer to help others) have reminded me that there are still some good guys left.

Jim

Jim,
    I'm sure you don't need 9.4, its got nothing to do with steam or water flow and is only a means by which the chromed lever can actuate the valve. Ah Marin County, sure I know where that is, Ive been there before, beautiful! My wife and I were in SF this time last year, loved it, always do, one of my favorite places. We happened to be in Cal for a month and it was during last years monsoons :-( We still managed to enjoy our time there. Spent a bit of time over in Oakland at Rosenbaum's wine cafe/shop in Jack Londons Square too ...hic! I'm in New York and want to live in Cal but the price of housing is beyond a normal humans reach :-0

Actually, funny you mention the thing about the accuracy of websites, I'm in the process of replacing my 920 and when I was on Whole Latte Love's website, I saw the machine I want and it said it was In Stock. I started a chat session with them to find out what the physical size of the shipping box was and in the process, the person said they were out of stock. I said..no you're not, I'm staring at your site, its in stock. Within a day, they changed their site to say...Out of Stock!

Yeah, I think forums are the best places to go for help, thats where people who enjoy these things hang out and most like to help. Glad you got it sorted.

Martino

Thanks to all who posted information on this thread. Invaluable! My 920xl has been sent to the service shop 5 times for problems I could have fixed myself. I have replaced all the o-rings (sub standard zero cost part that has caused so much trouble), and will replace the ball valve assembly when I get the part.

As an aside, I think the design of the 920xl is great. Many features included that make it a great machine for the price.
    Unfortunately small things like the o-rings which don't seem to stand up to the temperatures tend to ruin the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pgsalmon View Post
    Thanks to all who posted information on this thread. Invaluable! My 920xl has been sent to the service shop 5 times for problems I could have fixed myself. I have replaced all the o-rings (sub standard zero cost part that has caused so much trouble), and will replace the ball valve assembly when I get the part.
    Good on you! and one more thing to keep in mind is that all seals will eventually leak, on all espresso machines, not just the BDB. Put another way, the fact that the BDB has seals that need eventual replacement has nothing to do with it being a "cheap throwaway appliance". It's sad that it gets this reputation, for needing no more than the same maintenance as any of the "respectable" machines out there.

And MarinJim... ball valves (all ball valves, not just Breville), when they leak, they leak between the ball and the barrel the ball rides in. that means there are TWO ways out for the leak... straight through the barrel, and/or also out the side of the valve, where the knob attaches to the ball. I've seen them all in the BDB.

Here is my standard spiel on the ball valve:
    Anyway, all is not necessarily lost if we can't get the Breville part any more. As with many sealing and fluid control elements on the BDB, they are essentially off the shelf-type parts. Ball valves should be no exception. The world is awash in ball valves and it's certain that dozens of them out there will do the job, some requiring more "fitting" than others. It will be incumbent on the BDB community to help find them.
    I always keep a spare Breville ball valve around (had my BDB ever since they first came out in the USA and been repairing it myself). So I also keep a spare solenoid around as well as some #007 o-rings and M4 washers for the o-rings that also use washers, (or better yet, don't lose the washers that came with your machine).

Anyway, I've been working on fitting a common, easily found ball valve from eBay or Amazon to my BDB, in case the Breville one eventually becomes impossible to find. I have only been working slowly because I still have Breville parts. Here is my progress so far:
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...cs-t50907.html

-Peter

It is a very nice full feature set machine but after having owned a couple of them for a number of years, I can say that you get what you pay for. This brand is very consumer targeted, not prosumer. I will certainly miss some of the features of this machine when I make the switch to an E61 group head machine I have my eye on. Some of the features I really like are,.. ..

- Seeing the water level from the front
    - Filling the water from the front
    - Volumetric function
    - The little tool tray hidden behind the drip tray
    - The magnetic tamper holder
    - The little wheel that pops down under it to facilitate moving it on your counter

However, when all is said and done, none of those features are in the coffee making and steaming path and those things that are, are what fails....well, at least that has been my experience. Ok, the real issue I have with Breville here in the US is that they force you to send them the machine for any type of service, no matter how large or small the issue is. $350 fixed price and it goes to a third party appliance repair center who has botched my repairs twice.

Here's a 920XL parts list with part numbers pdf in case it further helps anyone maintain their dual boiler.. ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/70uebljbh...4-p1wPQya?dl=0

Martino

Quote Originally Posted by Martino View Post
    It is a very nice full feature set machine but after having owned a couple of them for a number of years, I can say that you get what you pay for.

Martino
    You get what you pay for, except for one thing. Nothing can touch the BDB for temperature stability until you start getting into saturated brew group designs, which in the USA, start at $7000USD and go up from there. And THAT is what makes the BDB for me. Otherwise, I'd have an E61.

-Peter

Right, I should have mentioned the programmability and temp control too. I think our dual boilers have the best programmability and by that I mean how simple it is to program it and there are many settings that you can adjust. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design of this machine. If you buy a dual boiler E61, you will also have temp stability, I'm not a heat exchanger fan after living with the 900/920XL.

I will miss my 920 but its going to my brother in law, so I'll get to use it when I visit him! :-)

Martino

Quote Originally Posted by Martino View Post
    If you buy a dual boiler E61, you will also have temp stability, I'm not a heat exchanger fan after living with the 900/920XL.

I will miss my 920 but its going to my brother in law, so I'll get to use it when I visit him! :-)

Martino
    Do the DB E61's have the temp stability of the BDB? The Scace tests by credible sources of the BDB I've seen, have it in or slightly better than GS/3 territory. Are the DB E61's at that level? I honestly don't know, except anecdotally from the people that eventually leave their E61 to get a GS/3.

-Peter

Hi Peter,
    Dunno. However, since the 920 is so easy to program, I have gone the full range of coffee brew temps with my machine while keeping every other variable at a constant and can honestly say I have never been able to taste an appreciable difference. DB E61 machines use a PID to maintain set temps that can be set in 1 degree increments, like our 920. Thy don't need the cooling flush like a heat exchanger does. So I guess what I'm saying is that if the PID controller has an accuracy of +/- 0.2%, and I have my temp set to 200F, it would provide a range of 199.6 - 200.4F, well within the range I experimented with on my 920.

Our 920 offers a set temp range of 190 - 205F and for me, it all tasted pretty much the same. Ok, there were subtle variations but of course I was purposely looking for them since I knew I was conducting a test. The DB E61's I've considered are all below the $3K mark which is a threshold I set for myself since my money doesn't grow on trees for me and they pretty much all use the Gicar PID's. Yes, you do need a bit more time to get an E61 up to a stable temp from a cold start than our 920 which have the electric brew group heating element (another nice feature of our machines).

When I get an espresso away from home and like the way it tastes and I see it coming from an E61 brew group, I believe I'm sure the brewing temp is within any of the ranges I've used at home. I don't get so hung up on accuracy in this case case I just believe the normal person can't tell the diff or the diff is within an acceptable taste range. I mean, who can tell if its 200 or 201 or 198 or 199? If I get one I don't like, I don't suspect the brewing temp, I suspect the beans, grind, tamp and volume of grind used, long before I suspect its the fault of the espresso machine. Oh yeah, the barista is suspect too :-0 To go further, all bets are off for those who make capps/latte/other flavored drinks with their machines, which many do.

I really want to stay with my Breville DB but have had it up to here when having to deal with Breville service and I don't believe the quality of internal parts is all that good, which is why they can sell at the price point they do, I get it, but is also why I will continue to have to deal with their service and parts sourcing. I think its a great machine to get started with and am glad I bought it.

Sorry about your experience with Breville service. I've never had to deal with them in over six years because I've simply done my own routine maintenance myself and thankfully, that is all it has taken to keep the machine working like new.

From your report on the quality of their service, I guess I'm hoping I never need to.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    Sorry about your experience with Breville service. I've never had to deal with them in over six years because I've simply done my own routine maintenance myself and thankfully, that is all it has taken to keep the machine working like new.

From your report on the quality of their service, I guess I'm hoping I never need to.

-Peter
    I am having the same dripping issue inside the machine due to a failing ball valve. Does anyone know where to find the part? Seems like forum doesn't even list the part anymore and ereplacementparts has it as unavailable.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith023 View Post
    I am having the same dripping issue inside the machine due to a failing ball valve. Does anyone know where to find the part? Seems like forum doesn't even list the part anymore and ereplacementparts has it as unavailable.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
    Keith
    Sadly, I have no good news for you except that the world is awash in 1/4 BSPP (British parallel pipe thread) ball valves, which is the thread size that the Breville ends screw into.

What we have yet to find, is an exact length and thickness replacement. This thread offers the latest on the subject:

https://www.home-barista.com/espress...cs-t50907.html

In short, you can buy one that's nearly the right size, and file/grind it into final fit.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 4th May 2018 at 07:23 AM.