Thread: BES900 leaking steam wand

BES900 leaking steam wand

Hi all,

My BES900 has suddenly started leaking water from the steam wand when it's idle. The machine is working fine in all other aspects and I have no pressure problems. Just water slowly dripping from the wand. I read posts saying it's the O-Rings and other stating it's a white silicone disc while others say it's just an adjustment. I'm confused

Any thoughts on what might be the problem and where to obtain the required parts would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Greg

None of those. The ball valve that controls steam flow will be leaking. It's not a serviceable part and needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    None of those. The ball valve that controls steam flow will be leaking. It's not a serviceable part and needs to be replaced.
    Thanks for the reply. Is this the part you are referring to?
    Ball Valve Complete Kit [BES920XL/09.6] for Breville Appliance | eReplacement Parts

That's it. Inbox me if you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    That's it. Inbox me if you need one.
    Get the message below when trying to PM you.
    "noidle22 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Not trying to hijack, but anychance that this can also allow surges of water when using the steam wand? Not talking masses of water but little bursts here and there. I am also having the same issue with leaking but notice more when I first use the steam wand, but it seems to lessen/go when the wand was moved to a different position.... I just thought it was normal ������

Realise this is an old thread, but I am looking to replace the ball valve. Prior pump replacement I found a great youtube video, but so far nothing on the ball valve. Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Desbos View Post
    Realise this is an old thread, but I am looking to replace the ball valve. Prior pump replacement I found a great youtube video, but so far nothing on the ball valve. Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial on this?
    I too could not find any instructions to replace the ball valve, however it is very easy. I suggest you buy a new one and once you get it you can see how the old ones comes out. The trickiest part was getting the lever off as it is really on tight. You just need to pull it away from the machine. ie: When facing the machine looking at the front pull it to the right. It will eventually come off and you can remove the centre screw holding in the ball valve.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gregeeh View Post
    I too could not find any instructions to replace the ball valve, however it is very easy. I suggest you buy a new one and once you get it you can see how the old ones comes out. The trickiest part was getting the lever off as it is really on tight. You just need to pull it away from the machine. ie: When facing the machine looking at the front pull it to the right. It will eventually come off and you can remove the centre screw holding in the ball valve.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a crack and report back.

It's not hard. Once you get the covers off, you will see. Increasingly, the real trick is getting a replacement steam ball valve at all.

Tips: there is a small, size #007 o-ring on each end. While you're in there, you should replace each with a fresh new one. You don't need to get them from Breville. Any industrial supply or Amazon or eBay will do. I got 100 of them for $10 USD including shipping. When you put the clips back in the steel "hats" (you will know what I'm talking about when you get there), they will go in easier if you press down to compress the new o-ring. And DON'T lose the clips.

After you are done, you will look back at how easy it really was.

-Peter