• 2 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By iamlukeo
  • 2 Post By iamlukeo
  • 2 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By trentski

Thread: Lelit Combi Brew Pressure Issues

Lelit Combi Brew Pressure Issues

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Lelit Combi PL042. For the first couple of days, I was able to pull consistently good shots where the brew pressure would be in the 8-9 bar range. However, in the last couple of days, I have been unable to get over 5 bars with the average sitting at about 3.

The only adjustments I have made to the grind is to make it slightly finer and I feel like my dosage and tamping has been consistent. I thought it may be because of some build-up in the machine so I did a back-flush with the Cafetto Espresso Clean and interestingly the brew pressure was well over 9 bars when using the blind filter.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their Combi or have any suggestions on what may be the problem? Thanks in advance

Welcome iamlukeo - the answer is usually 'beans' 'grind' 'dose' 'distribution' - but seeing as your dosage and tamping have remained consistent, that leaves us with beans or grind.

How much volume are you getting with your low bar extraction in 30 seconds? If it's "lots", then it's likely your beans have become stale, OR your grind has been adjusted to be coarser without you knowing.

How have you stored your beans since opening the bag? And what beans are you using? Generally when this question is raised around this forum, it's usually stale beans (e.g. vacuum packed beans from the supermarket OR beans stored in the hopper for a few weeks OR beans stored in the fridge OR a combination of the above etc.) and the answer often given is "get fresh roasted beans, and store your beans in an airtight bag, expelling the air before closing, and keep in a cool dry place".

Give us a bit more info, and we can help you troubleshoot

Al
    Dimal and iamlukeo like this.

Hi readeral, thanks for your reply! There seem to be lots of variables which can go wrong, didn't even think about beans. I purchased whole beans from a local roaster about a week ago and have kept them in an Airscape coffee canister. If anything, there seems to be quite a lot of volume - the 60mL usually pours quicker than 30 secs. I'll purchase a fresh batch of beans this week and see how they go. If not, I'll post some pics of my grind/tamp to make sure I'm getting it right.

Cheers,
    Luke
    Last edited by iamlukeo; 15th January 2017 at 05:11 PM.

Ok so it seems your beans a more likely to be fresh than not - really it depends what the roast date is listed on the packet (and how they were packaged - e.g. airtight bag).

But assuming that they are relatively fresh - what happens if you fine up the grind?

The other thing is - are you sure you're getting fresh ground coffee out of your grinder? If you have beans sitting in there from the previous day that waiting to be ground just on top of the burrs (or the coffee that has been ground but didn't make it through to the portafilter) - then that stuff will be pretty stale given the heat transfer into the grinder and the timeframe. If that's the issue, your second coffee would be much better - so I suspect you would've picked that up already.

So we return to dose, distribution and tamping - what's your current method for these three steps?

Would be good to run a shot for a full 30 seconds - sacrificing it - and determine exactly what volume throughput you're getting. Measure it with a little jug or something. Will give you a sense of how much you might have to adjust the grind.

Hi readeral, thanks for your continued help! I got a batch of freshly roasted beans, emptied the grinder of the old batch and only put in the amount of beans for one cup. I also adjusted the grinder to make it slightly finer. Here is the current setting and the size of the grind:

Also, I ran the shot for 30 secs and go 180mL. I assume I was only meant to get 60mL so it is obviously pouring too fast?
    readeral likes this.

UPDATE: I ran a few shots at different grind sizes and when the grind size was finer (one or two clicks away from the finest setting) the pressure was perfect. Thanks again for your help - I hope it wasn't too stupid of a question... Still think it is weird that the pressure changed so drastically when I didn't initially make any changes to the grind setting...

Cheers!
    Dimal and readeral like this.

Yeah looking at your grind it's kind of pour over level of fineness, needed to get it in the espresso range.
    It can be hard, I remember when I first got my hands on new gear it took a fair bit to get it into espresso range, but you got there in the end.
    Dimal and iamlukeo like this.

One aproach is to grind so fine hardly anything comes out and then go coarser from there.
    Ignore the pressure gauge go for 60ml from a double in 30 seconds and then adjust for taste.
    iamlukeo likes this.

Yep, definitely good advice there trentski!

One other thing I have discovered is that the grinder setting isn't as sensitive as I thought... To go from what was a pour over level to espresso takes a few rotations of the grinder knob.