Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ozscott
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By 2muchcoffeeman

Thread: Advice on getting a new, plumbed and drained machine up to $2,000.

Advice on getting a new, plumbed and drained machine up to $2,000.

I've been making our coffees each morning for a few years now on low end machines (mainly Sunbeam cafe range). I buy beans from a shop that roasts their own and try to use them 1 to 3 weeks after roasting. We have two grinders for decaf (the wife) and real beans. I think I make a good drop and make friends tell me so. They always come back for more but it's either for the coffee or the conversation. (It must the coffee, I think.)

However, I'm pretty fed up with emptying the tray and filling the reservoir almost every day and dream about getting a machine plumbed to the house water supply and drained into the kitchen sink-drain.

And so I come, cap-in-hand to the experts to ask for the name of a machine that can be plumbed and drained and also produce a drop better than I can make (so I can learn to make a better drop than I can now).

Many thanks for your consideration.
    Last edited by GeorgeP; 24th January 2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: punctuation

I also heard that a filter is essential to stop salts and minerals from destroying the innards as happened to two previous low-end-of-market machines. Is this correct?

On reflection, $2,000 might not be the limit.

You should get some of the excellent site sponsors offering you a very good selection of machines at that price. Funnily enough I have seen people biying so called superautos at white good suppliers for that budget... What grinders do you have because that is a very important part of the equation. You may spend half of that 2k on a grinder if you are using a Sunbeam grinder or similar. Cheers

Hi ozscott.
    Thanks for your reply. Am I right in getting from your reply that you don't think the Sunbeam grinders are any good? This will be a surprise to me as I thought a grinder is a grinder and the only difference is how fine one grinds the coffee. (I tried looking up stuff to catch up but you guys are so far ahead of the game that I think I'll sit back and take advice.)
    So, what do you think about me tackling the grinder issue after I get my new maker? Is it something that will take me ages to tell the difference (and make one of you guys vomit)? I think I'd like to do it that way.
    On the subject of machines, I found something on the Net that looks ok but I know jack-shit. What do you think about the Wega Mininova Classic Espresso Machine Emaminir (Plumbed)? I found it on a search of "plumbed in espresso machine". It's not too dear and it's plumbed, has two boilers (I think as it can make coffee and steam milk at the same time) but that's all I know. I can only assume it has 15 bars on the main tank. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Cheers,.....GeorgeP.

Mate get a good grinder first and then look to uprated machines. Fresh beans, then grinder, then means of preparation in that order. Cheers
    Dimal likes this.

Hi George. Before we go any further what you really need to do is get professional advice. It's actually freely available in the form of Buyer's Guides that are produced by many coffee machine retailers. Site sponsors K Bean Coffee, Casa Espresso and Di Bartoli all have them on their websites as do other reputable dealers. Even better than that is getting to see some of the available machines in the flesh and get personal advice. Where are you based? Are you able to get in to see some of the options at somewhere like Jetblack or Di Bartoli in Sydney?
    trentski likes this.

Leroy he would be better getting advice from the sponsors here and they might be PMing him I don't know. I think it's important that the OP understand how important the grinder is...I certainly didn't when I started. I would give up my 2 group commercial FAEMA (which I adore) before my Super Jolly. Cheers

Hi Leroy.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at all you mentioned. We live in the Blue Mountains. There's lots of coffee here but I haven't seen too many makers yet. I'll repost when I have a look. Many thanks again.
    Cheers,.....George.

Hi ozscott (would that be Scott?).
    I have to admit that I'm trying to follow the CoffeeSnobs site but it's not real easy. (I even have trouble finding my last post!) However, I think I'm in this for the long haul. How do I know that? When I try to talk about the stuff you guys talk about all the time, my friends eyes glaze over. So I work it out. Now, what's "PMing"?; how do I get advice from "the sponsors"?; and how do I find out about the finer points of grinding? Thanks.
    Cheers,.....George.

Head over to the sponsors section of the form for details on the sponsors. Customer service like you have never experienced before, in a good way.

You can also email all sponsors at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/forms.php?do=form&fid=1

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    Hi ozscott (would that be Scott?).
    Maybe a gentleman of Scottish heritage living in Oz...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Leroy he would be better getting advice from the sponsors here and they might be PMing him I don't know. I think it's important that the OP understand how important the grinder is...I certainly didn't when I started. I would give up my 2 group commercial FAEMA (which I adore) before my Super Jolly. Cheers
    That's exactly what I said. View the site sponsors buyers guides and if possible visit them in store. Getting advice from the pros that do this every day is the best way to go. I haven't read all of them, but by all accounts the buyers guides are all very good and well written and I suggest they are a great place to start.

Hi George. Mate I am out of the loop these days as to machine types and models but you are going to get great advice per instructions given above. I can say though that if you are looking at a plumbed up HX or similar machine then yes the Sunbeam range of grinders is not what your after to get the most out of your machine. To give you an idea I modified a Rancilio Rocky grinder which is way ahead of a Sunbeam appliance in build quality and grind and I noticed a significant difference in shot quality and taste when I moved (thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee) to a Mazzer Super Jolly. These are 2 well known brands and types of grinder but there are others so be guided by the site sponsors on grinders.

All the best in your hunt for a better drop. In truth it is realistic to expect with attention to detail, experience, the right coffee (read here that getting into home roasting is a good idea) and equipment a better cup than many/most metropolitan cafes.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    Hi Leroy.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at all you mentioned. We live in the Blue Mountains. There's lots of coffee here but I haven't seen too many makers yet. I'll repost when I have a look. Many thanks again.
    Cheers,.....George.
    Here's a couple of buyers guides to get you started George:

http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/e...machine-guide/

http://dibartoli.com.au/buyers-guide/

Both of these sponsors are in Sydney. Do you go into the city often? If you're going to spend a couple of grand on a machine it might be worth visiting one or both of them.

Welcome George,

I think you may need to revisit your brief as I cannot think of a single new espresso machine which can be plumbed and drained at anywhere near $2k. In fact, I can't think of that many near $3k.

A solution to your problem may exist in the Hardware for Sale forum: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...voluzione.html but I am unsure if it's still for sale. I suspect you will need to look to pre-loved.

Cheers

2mcm
    GunBarista likes this.