Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveD

Thread: Rancilio Silvia - Repair or Replace?

GJM

Rancilio Silvia - Repair or Replace?

Hi everyone

I have a Rancilio Silvia that has developed a leak from the steam wand which is progressively getting worse. I suspect based on what I've read this is due the washer/seal wearing out.

I've read in previous posts here that it is relatively easy to fix this, however I'm very skilled at making even simple repairs much more complicated than they need to be and so if I was to repair it I'm hoping someone might be able to recommend a reliable repairer in the inner Melbourne area who I could get to do this for me.

My hesitation about repairing my machine is that it is almost 15 years old and I'm wondering what a realistic lifespan is for a Silvia? It has been relatively lightly used, maybe an average of 10 to 12 long blacks a week. If it is nearing the likely end of its life then I would most likely update to a new Silvia and again from what I've read the M would be a better choice than the E.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Many thanks.

Rancilio Silvia - Repair or Replace?

I'd repair it myself if it were mine. It should only cost a few dollars if it is just seals. As far as lifespan goes, I can't comment how long it has left in it.

They are very simple machine and should last for many years with decent water and basic maintenance. As above should be an easy fix. Even if you decide to replace a working machine will be relatively easily sellable.

Cheers

Hi GJM,

Your Silvia is definitely worth repairing/servicing - it'll keep going for years to come. I would contact Coffee Machinist, who is a site sponsor to see if he would do the work. He's based in Northcote, so relatively inner Melbourne.

Cheers,

Dave
    Dimal and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    ....Your Silvia is definitely worth repairing/servicing - it'll keep going for years to come. I would contact Coffee Machinist, who is a site sponsor to see if he would do the work. He's based in Northcote, so relatively inner Melbourne....
    +1 for that. Repair it and keep it or repair it and sell it. These are so popular on the used machine market.

GJM
    Thanks spin_addict, artman, DaveD and K_Bean_Coffee for your comments and advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and it's helpful that you all agree repairing is the way to go.

GLen