Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Frustration with getting my coffee right

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    For a former sponsor and respected senior member, this post is extraordinarily poor form, even if made in jest. /second crack
    "Extraordinarily poor form"!!! Really? Seriously?

If you're that sensitive and that hurt your feels so much you might want to duck and cover because you ain't seen nothing yet. Personally I thought it was a rather amusing, restrained and elegant response.
    Yelta and degaulle like this.

Certainly - but not entitled to express it at any time, in any place (the "free speech" myth). When you were a forum sponsor, would you have been tolerant of a similar pointed comment directed at yourself on the site you paid to support?
    Nope- I've always had a pretty finely honed BS detector. In this instance it was triggered by the liquefied and then emulsified CO2 I have unknowingly been drinking.

I read it, I call it. Nothing has changed.
    Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; 13th February 2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
    Vinitasse and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    "Extraordinarily poor form"!!! Really? Seriously?

If you're that sensitive and that hurt your feels so much you might want to duck and cover because you ain't seen nothing yet. Personally I thought it was a rather amusing, restrained and elegant response.
    Openly criticising the sponsors of this site - yes. Extremely poor form, not from a site rules point of view but ethically. You want a platform to criticise your professional competitors? Finance it yourself, and go for your life.

Sensitive and hurt? Not in the least; on the contrary your inability to separate discussion from emotion only speaks to your own emotional maturity

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    Nope- I've always had a pretty finely honed BS detector. In this instance it was triggered buy the liquefied and then emulsified CO2 I have unknowingly been drinking.

I read it, I call it. Nothing has changed.
    Not sure if you're being serious but nonetheless I respect your opinion and I will not defend, but instead I will disengage in this conversation completely.

Peace be with you and your business, 2muchcoffeeman.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

For a former sponsor and respected senior member, this post is extraordinarily poor form, even if made in jest. /second crack
    "I'll be right thanks. Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment."

I don't have a problem with it, in fact I reckon Chris has hit the nail on the head.

The odds of getting a decent brew from most cafes are about the the same as when betting on black or red in roulette, only difference, roulette will leave you with empty pockets, crappy coffee will literally leave you with a bad taste in your mouth as well as a lighter pocket.

Feel free to substitute an imaginary coffee cup for the beer/wine glass in the young lady's hand

PS I don't gamble.

Dimal and Vinitasse like this.

Frustration with getting my coffee right

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    "I'll be right thanks. Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment."

I don't have a problem with it, in fact I reckon Chris has hit the nail on the head.

The odds of getting a decent brew from most cafes are about the the same as when betting on black or red in roulette, only difference, roulette will leave you with empty pockets, crappy coffee will literally leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Let's be 100% clear here, lest any more BS detectors start beeping: Chris was talking not about third wave cafes in general; he was replying to and quoted directly a recommendation to visit forum sponsors.

That is what I have a problem with. The sponsors pay for this site; as a member you don't have to like them, but you can't criticise them here. I've abided by that rule even when I had negative experiences with a particular then-sponsor .

IMO Chris should do the same, or collect his coat on the way out.

Again, my $0.02 as a member, nothing more...

Quote Originally Posted by GunBarista View Post
    Otherwise I'm sure a site sponsor here can help you choose the right setup for you to make coffee at home - just how you like it
    I'll be right thanks. Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment.

The odds of getting a decent brew from most cafes are about the the same as when betting on black or red in roulette, only difference, roulette will leave you with empty pockets, crappy coffee will literally leave you with a bad taste in your mouth as well as a lighter pocket.

Feel free to substitute an imaginary coffee cup for the beer/wine glass in the young lady's hand

PS I don't gamble.

Disturbingly it used to be the case that most cafes didn't have a clue about what constituted good coffee and didn't have much choice about beans because they were locked into the beans that the supplier of the 'free' or subsidised coffee machine, tables, umbrellas etc supplied...now a lot of the cafes making poor coffee think they have a clue and disturbingly think they are doing cutting edge things with coffee (and that if we don't like the product it simply means we have no taste...)

Cheers
    2muchcoffeeman and Dimal like this.

Let's be 100% clear here, lest any more BS detectors start beeping: Chris was talking not about third wave cafes in general; he was replying to and quoted directly a recommendation to visit forum sponsors.

That is what I have a problem with. The sponsors pay for this site; as a member you don't have to like them, but you can't criticise them here. I've abided by that rule even when I had negative experiences with a particular then-sponsor .

IMO Chris should do the same, or collect his coat on the way out.

Again, my $0.02 as a member, nothing more...
    I'm pretty sure it's not your call as to when someone should grab their coat and leave, nor is it your place to defend the honour of this forum... Andy and his admins have that role well covered. So why not get off your high horse and lets get back to talking coffee
    Dimal and degaulle like this.

I'm pretty sure it's not your call as to when someone should grab their coat and leave, nor is it your place to defend the honour of this forum... Andy and his admins have that role well covered. So why not get off your high horse and lets get back to talking coffee
    Right back atcha, baby

I can't put it any better than this: "I've always had a pretty finely honed BS detector. In this instance it was triggered buy the liquefied and then emulsified CO2 I have unknowingly been drinking.

I read it, I call it. Nothing has changed. "

/second crack
    degaulle likes this.

Right back atcha, baby

I can't put it any better than this: "I've always had a pretty finely honed BS detector. In this instance it was triggered buy the liquefied and then emulsified CO2 I have unknowingly been drinking.

I read it, I call it. Nothing has changed. "

/second crack
    Totally missing your point "baby"

What does that have to do with my comment on leaving the forum to manage itself?

Totally missing your point "baby"

What does that have to do with my comment on leaving the forum to manage itself?
    You are similarly engaging in discussion over how the forum should be managed. Think I should get back to discussing coffee rather than pointing out hypocrisy and negativity? Be the change you want to see in the world.

Chris was talking not about third wave cafes in general; he was replying to and quoted directly a recommendation to visit forum sponsors.
    Matt- I don't need you to presuppose nor try to misinterpret my response. It was in response to coffee and absolute rubbish involving CO2. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any CS sponsor.

I don't need to be informed that someone has "gun status". Was biggus dickus already taken? Next, follow it with misinformation and rubbish science "alternate facts".

I am yet to meet a great barista who feels the need to tell anyone s/he is great, nor a sushi chef nor a master roaster for that matter. It's like the myriad of "city x's best coffee" branded cafes which routinely serve crap.

Those who do it well don't need labels. They turn it out each day, consistently and with humility and the results speak for themselves. So do CS sponsors. There are way too many who could use a little of that humility. Wax on, wax off- as a wise bloke once said....

You are most welcome to contact me directly to discuss your thoughts. I don't get to do PM here (can receive but not send them), but you'll work out a way if you wish to chat further and I'd greatly appreciate that as it's clear that we are on completely different wavelengths. Text often doesn't work that well.
    Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; 13th February 2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added request that Matt make contact
    Dimal and Vinitasse like this.

I don't even know what you're trying to communicate in the above post Chris, but your post including quote is there in black and white for everyone to draw their own conclusions from.

Here, I'll quote it again - with emphasis - and you can explain exactly where the misinterpretation occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by GunBarista View Post
    Otherwise I'm sure a site sponsor here can help you choose the right setup for you to make coffee at home - just how you like it
    I'll be right thanks. Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment.
    Misinterpret? There goes my BS detector again...

Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman

Originally Posted by GunBarista

Wow this turned into a whizzing match!
    It might just be me but anybody else take Chris's post as 'I don't have to pay for crap coffee'.
    Knowing Chris runs a store helped me get to that, may or may not be right but this is the joy of reading type over the internet and people having opinions that other don't 100% get on the other end.
    Last edited by Mb21; 13th February 2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Removed non sponsor store name
    2muchcoffeeman and Vinitasse like this.

Misinterpret? There goes my BS detector again...
    Yes- read further up in the thread. Once again, my comments were in response to being fed rubbish about liquid CO2 in coffee. *beats head against brick wall in frustration*

Thanks Mb. At least you got it...Best remove the references to TC please.
    Lukemc and Mb21 like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    I was gonna brew an espresso......but decided to make pop-corn.......what a show !

must be a full moon?
    2muchcoffeeman, Kevo, kbc and 1 others like this.

Yes- read further up in the thread. Once again, my comments were in response to being fed rubbish about liquid CO2 in coffee. *beats head against brick wall in frustration*

Thanks Mb. At least you got it...Best remove the references to TC please.
    I have read the entire thread.

So you're saying that you chose to quote the one part of a post that didn't relate to your point?

I am certainly not above apologising; if I have misinterpreted your intentions then I'm sorry, and very heartened to hear that you do support our forum sponsors

As some have said in the past, there's a context that lends a certain colour to these conversations...
    degaulle likes this.

Yes Matt.
    • My statement "I'll be right thanks" in direct response to the suggestion that a sponsor might be able to help me choose equipment. I think I'm probably sorted on that front. The OP was not to know that
    • My statement "Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment" in response to the rubbish Science "alternate facts" and my frustration re cafe espresso served by self awarded super baristi lacking only superhero suits. They can let their coffee speak for their abilities- and they should stop serving "emulsified CO2" lest all the BS detectors trip simultaneously.
    • On a positive note, I recently had the pleasure of informing a local hard worker (sans tickets) that her shot of Padre's Daddy's Girl was the best shot I'd paid for in the last 5 years- and it was absolutely brilliant. Made her day, but I won out because she made mine. She was one helluva barista.

Hopefully we are now clear on the misunderstanding?
    Magic_Matt and Vinitasse like this.

Well, fair enough. In that case - I can only reiterate my apology. Sorry again.

Also on a positive note, from the replies it seems I wasn't the only one to come away with a different interpretation, so this otherwise unedifying conversation has at least cleared up that point for anyone following along at home.
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Yes Matt.
    • My statement "I'll be right thanks" in direct response to the suggestion that a sponsor might be able to help me choose equipment. I think I'm probably sorted on that front. The OP was not to know that
    • My statement "Fortunately I don't have to blow my dough all that frequently on dud shots served by those with tickets on themselves...It saves on the disappointment" in response to the rubbish Science "alternate facts" and my frustration re cafe espresso served by self awarded super baristi lacking only superhero suits. They can let their coffee speak for their abilities- and they should stop serving "emulsified CO2" lest all the BS detectors trip simultaneously.
    • On a positive note, I recently had the pleasure of informing a local hard worker (sans tickets) that her shot of Padre's Daddy's Girl was the best shot I'd paid for in the last 5 years- and it was absolutely brilliant. Made her day, but I won out because she made mine. She was one helluva barista.

Hopefully we are now clear on the misunderstanding?
    Talking about Padre's Chris, I followed something you said somewhere else on this forum and took myself up to Padres @ Noosa & got them to run a few shots through the Slayer up there.

The barista was a champion & even allowed me a little 'smee on Slayer' type physical action......very nice indeed. I mentioned you were a mate of mine, so they put my espresso on your tab.....which I thought was nice of them

The frustrated angry wannabe espresso person that created this thread has 2 options imo.

1. Go do a course & buy a grinder or
    2. Go get a massage with a happy ending

or both imo. No point starting a war over coffee, nor getting upset. If I got crankynevery time I buggered it up, I'd have a nuclear war going on!
    2muchcoffeeman and Vinitasse like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob

Well, fair enough. In that case - I can only reiterate my apology. Sorry again.

Also on a positive note, from the replies it seems I wasn't the only one to come away with a different interpretation, so this otherwise unedifying conversation has at least cleared up that point for anyone following along at home.
    Did you break your keyboard? Rules of engagement Matt, we only fight to the death here at coffee snobs or you can be disqualified from the fight if 8 keys on the keyboard malfunction, as long as 3!of them are vowels. Evidence is required !
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Did you break your keyboard? Rules of engagement Matt, we only fight to the death here at coffee snobs or you can be disqualified from the fight if 8 keys on the keyboard malfunction, as long as 3!of them are vowels. Evidence is required !
    Does a smashed smartphone screen count?
    Smee likes this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Does a smashed smartphone screen count?

You'll need to check with that 'javaphile' dude......I'm sure he's got something aphile musing to say about that..

you are a fancy guy, smartphone & a sychronicka.....bet you drive a gxl Gemini too?
    Vinitasse likes this.

You'll need to check with that 'javaphile' dude......I'm sure he's got something aphile musing to say about that..

you are a fancy guy, smartphone & a sychronicka.....bet you drive a gxl Gemini too?
    Oh, I'm far too "third wave" to own a car...

I was picturing an Audi. You know... a VW in an expensive frock

I was picturing an Audi. You know... a VW in an expensive frock
    Guess I have to cop that one on the chin. Just make the public flogging quick; I need my beauty sleep
    Vinitasse likes this.

Nar- don't worry Matt. We're good.

I received your PM but can't reply. Andy informs it's a database thing and I'd require yet another change of persona. I don't see the need...

Could you either email or give me a buzz? Would appear that I may need to try to reboot some history with you and I'm happy to chow down on some humble pie if I stepped on your toes.

Cheers

2mcm
    Magic_Matt and Vinitasse like this.

wow, this thread really has gone off topic. Still, whilst we're all weighing in ... I've been drinking coffee in Melbourne for a long time and the variety and quality is incomparable to what it was 20 years ago. You can find a coffee philosophy that suits you and you will have plenty of options where you can get freshly roasted, well prepared, consistent coffee. Third wave coffee, which commenced in the late 90's according to 'God in a Cup', was responsible for much of the improvements, especially with sourcing, working with producers to improve their crop and local roasting (ie freshness) that we enjoy now. I personally prefer a darker more chocolaty / caramel roast than a lighter citrus / fruity one but there are plenty of good cafe's I can find that provide this.
    matth3wh, Vinitasse and Smee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtW View Post
    wow, this thread really has gone off topic. Still, whilst we're all weighing in ... I've been drinking coffee in Melbourne for a long time and the variety and quality is incomparable to what it was 20 years ago. You can find a coffee philosophy that suits you and you will have plenty of options where you can get freshly roasted, well prepared, consistent coffee. Third wave coffee, which commenced in the late 90's according to 'God in a Cup', was responsible for much of the improvements, especially with sourcing, working with producers to improve their crop and local roasting (ie freshness) that we enjoy now. I personally prefer a darker more chocolaty / caramel roast than a lighter citrus / fruity one but there are plenty of good cafe's I can find that provide this.
    I think you just coined a very poignant and relevant phrase with "coffee philosophy"
    Yelta likes this.

Could this be a coffee philosopher?

Vinitasse and Smee like this.

looks more like an alchemist to me

What a waste of time. Glad I didn't bother to read most of that drivel, I've actually got stuff to do.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Nar- don't worry Matt. We're good.

I received your PM but can't reply. Andy informs it's a database thing and I'd require yet another change of persona. I don't see the need...

Could you either email or give me a buzz? Would appear that I may need to try to reboot some history with you and I'm happy to chow down on some humble pie if I stepped on your toes.

Cheers

2mcm
    Go easy on the humble pie big fella...apparently it's laden with kilojoules

Obviously Andy hasn't told you about the Coffee Illuminaties real reason for clipping your PM function?

Hint.....as they say, there's nothing more ex than an ex. No more Qantas Chairmans Club for you my friend but do enjoy your ham & cheese Croissant back in Coach now!

Apprentice Coffee snob

Andy, about 40 years ago?

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post

What a waste of time. Glad I didn't bother to read most of that drivel, I've actually got stuff to do.
    I think it's good entertainment......nobody lost an eye and there's nothing wrong with folk that are passionate with their ideas.

Probably being the crapiest barista in the forum, I've learnt so much from all of you and little things like this are good for a Comedy perspective. This is a good forum and it's good to see that it's a rare occurance that nasty folk penetrate the forum & when they do Andy's team seems to push them into the roasting furnace rather quickly.

The problem with the written word on the forum, is different people take things differently, sometimes things can be interpreted differently to what they were meant......let it go I say. As long as everyone here recognises my superior intellect, my superior good looks and my impressive love making skills I shall not engage anyone :P

So, where were we? The Original Poster suxs at making espresso & has a short fuse, Chris has an appetite for humble Pie and Matts off his pony & examining his Holden Gemini, the one with Audi Badges on it. There's probably been a few dozen shots poured, all top notch except for the angry sod who started this episode whose probably launched his crappy preground beans & Might be down he road tipping old people out of their electric carts for taking up too much footpath space as they speed down to their local bingo event.

Sensational stuff !
    Dimal, Magic_Matt, kbc and 2 others like this.

Actually I was thinking something more like this ...

coffee philosopher.jpg
    matth3wh and kbc like this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Well, the enlightenment philosophers such as John Locke often met with other chaps (an old Isaac Newton for instance) in coffeehouses. Just sayin.....
    Vinitasse likes this.

Thought "just sayin" was copyrighted by Gail from Seattle Coffeegear
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otago View Post
    Thought "just sayin" was copyrighted by Gail from Seattle Coffeegear

Yeh, well I have several noms de plume (if I have got my French grammar correct).

That could have gone very Kath and Kim there for a second

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3