Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By jazzleg

Thread: Deep Portafilter for Rancilio Silvia

Deep Portafilter for Rancilio Silvia

I wonder if anyone managed to find a portafilter for Rancilio Silvia that can fit VST 22g basket?

I am using the stock portafilter which is quite shallow. VST 18g is the biggest I can fit into my portafilter. Tried googling for "deep" portafilter, but did not find anything suitable.

The simplest (and perhaps the most economical) would be to turn your current Group Handle (PF) into a 'Naked' variation. This would then allow you to use any filter basket you desired,, with the added benefit of being able diagnose your dosing and distribution proficiency into the bargain...

Mal.
    Barry_Duncan and trentski like this.

I already have a naked portafilter and I do use it quite extensively - especially because I am the only coffee drinker at home so I usually watch my shots on the naked when making coffee for myself .

However, sometimes I want to make 2 cups of coffee at a time (using double spout) when I have guests. That's why I want the deep portafilter.

Well...

There is this one from Site Sponsor Coffee-A-Roma but not cheap...
    Rancilio Deeper Group Handle fits 21g basket

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Well...

There is this one from Site Sponsor Coffee-A-Roma but not cheap...
    Rancilio Deeper Group Handle fits 21g basket

Mal.
    Thanks for this. Yea, it is a bit too pricey for my infrequent use.

I've read in other forums (which I found through google search) that "some" generic E61 portafilters are compatible with Silvia, although I am yet to find out more about which ones exactly are these. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Hey jazzleg, did you find a suitable solution? Interested to see what you did

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeenooby View Post
    Hey jazzleg, did you find a suitable solution? Interested to see what you did
    Hello there. No I haven't really managed to get myself a suitable portafilter yet.

However, my research seemed to suggest that generic E61 (traditional Faema, not Expobar/Giotto/Isomac's E61 as they are slightly different) portafilters are compatible with Silvia, so I think that's the way to go. My intention is to look for secondhand E61 portafilter (with sufficient depth to fit VS 22gr basket), but I just haven't got the time to look around yet.
    Coffeenooby likes this.